Art: Introduction/Post (Beware those who Dialup)

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Introduction/Post (Beware those who Dialup)

Greetings,
    This thread is an intro and a post all in one. Currently, I am an artist for a screenprinting shop, where printing ranges from DJ's to Race Teams. I've been lurking for a long time and finally feel confident to post.

I've been using PS for about 4 years now, and AI for about 6 months. Freelance work has ranged from dirtbike graphic designs to graduation videos for a local business school using Adobe Premiere.

I always appreciate feedback. I cannot get better at what I do without criticism.

Thanks for looking!

Race Team Shirt design (PS & AI):
    Introduction/Post (Beware those who Dialup)

Closeup of Print:

Vectorized Bass Guitar:

Biohazard Wallpaper:

Ass attempt at Digital Painting:

My Website

"Lisa, if you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way." -Homer Simpson
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi welcome to the boards.
    Your doing some nice work in Photoshop- far ahead of me.
    It looks like a ton of work went into rendering that car, nice detail. The car seems a little flat though, like it was traced from a photo. Also the ellipses around the wheel wells might be off a bit.
    The Guitars and Biohazard pieces are very slick-no crits there.
    The Girl has some basic anatomy problems, good reference and lots of practice will help you with rendering figures. I hope this crit was helpful,
    keep posting!

Bryce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While I can appreciate that a lot of work and skill went into these and the car and guitar, at least, look good, they all look rather formulaic. "Let's see, the gradation shine goes here, here, and here... the gradation shadow goes here, here, and... here. Finished!" There is certainly value in this type of illustration, make no doubt, but I assume you've looked over the boards and seen what most folks focus on. My question is what would you like to do better?

As a CA-type crit on the figure, I would say <insert standard anatomy critique> and <insert life-drawing recommendation>.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    While I can appreciate that a lot of work and skill went into these and the car and guitar, at least, look good, they all look rather formulaic. "Let's see, the gradation shine goes here, here, and here... the gradation shadow goes here, here, and... here. Finished!" There is certainly value in this type of illustration, make no doubt, but I assume you've looked over the boards and seen what most folks focus on. My question is what would you like to do better?

As a CA-type crit on the figure, I would say <insert standard anatomy critique> and <insert life-drawing recommendation>.
    So what your saying is, because I don't digitally paint mechs, vehicles or monsters, I have no place on this forum? I appreciate your crit, but this work I do, pay my bills. It's art all the same and yes, it's a little different than stuff floating around here.
    Believe me, it's more than "drop gradient here, here, and here, done." It's dealing with particular customers who want this color exactly like the car, this font has to match, and every single rivet has to show. That comment almost appears to come from someone who doesn't have to deal with clients.
    Yes, I have looked over the board, and I see a wide range of talent and ability, but I don't think any particular type of artwork should be excluded.

Bryceart- Thank-you for the critiques. They are very appreciated.

My Website

"Lisa, if you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way." -Homer Simpson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Please, please, please; I meant no offense. As far as value in the world, this work is highly praised and I'm certain you do very well. I'm also not saying that anyone can do it, but that it's difficult to tell the difference between those who do it well. And while my experience with clients is limited, it's sufficient to have a lot of respect for those who have to deal with them for their livelyhood.

And I am not saying that your art has no place on this forum. The board is made up of many different subjects. What this board is far more about is learning and getting better at art. You are obviously very good with your main subjects and I may have couched my question too deeply. It's not obvious what you want to get better at. If it's drawing people, there are several very good threads here that deal with the best way to do so.

Once again, I apologize if I came off like an ass. It seems to happen more and more as I get older. Maybe I should just give in and get the sandals and black knee-high socks and yell at those darn kids with their loud music and long hair.

By the way, I can see soooo many potential avatars coming with your name.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uh, oh. Misunderstanding on my part. Please don't read my post in the Monster Mash thread. Please disregard it. Sorry, I jumped the gun.

My Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No worries, mate. It's often hard to differentiate between being earnest and being harsh with this form of communication. We're cool and I look forward to more of your posts.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.