Horse WIP, crits appreciated
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Horse WIP, crits appreciated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Horse WIP, crits appreciated

A dpaint of a horse, no ref exept for the ridge around the eye/side of the face

Last edited by waronmars; March 12th, 2005 at 04:43 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Woah, that horse looked REEAL crazy with that white eye! On the painting itself, I like. As it is not finished, I should not crit it as it was finished, so.... um... no crits. It has a good shape and a good start on the colours.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, i suppose what i need is advice on how to continue rather then crits, I should have said so.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep it up, war! This horse is coming around nicely. Maybe add some deeper contrasting values to the shadows and some small hard edged brushes to the details? What are you planning on the BG?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Horse from Ren & Stimpy
    Well...yes sir...yes...I like it
    IILooney

Strange coincidence that every man whose skull has been opened had a brain.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice horse!

I think your use of color has lent a nice softness to it, but i would suggest maybe going to a place where you can see (or even touch) a real horse. If thats not possible then I would also suggest maybe looking online for a pic of a horse's skull...this might help you to get a better handle on how to deal with how you render the hints of the underlying bone structure on the outside.

also..if you look at a pic of a horse's head you also see many finer detals as the hide is thinner around the face than other parts of the body. Look for things like tiny hairs around the muzzle and even bumps and ridges that the facial veins produce through the skin...dont forget eyelashes and a nice wet looking eyeball...yummy!

_M

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey war, pretty nice so far. I would say get into the highlights, and most importantly the shadows and tweak!!! the whole pic is pretty much in midtones right now...you need to go darker in the shadows and lighter in the highlights to give it a plastic feel.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I added darker darks and lighter highlights. Oh and moved the bridle, it wasnt in the right place when i checkd out a pic for ref.

Cookiedough: I really don't have much of an idea of what to do with the background, i was hoping a few suggestions from here would help me out...

ILooney: Joy!

Moreta: Jeah, I ride almost every day, so thats no problemo. I think that must be the next step, finalising the structure and shading and going on to all the nitty details. Thanks for the advice!

Nic: It is done! Plastic...?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you want to add a background instead of a croped out head, its on time to think about the scene i think. determining the settings, would make clear, where the light is coming from... what color it is etc (<>what color shadows are).

the structure is nice so far. keep it up man.

[edit]...to me it seems youve added alot of white and black to create highlights/shadows. from the colors i like the pic before better.

Last edited by sone_one; March 12th, 2005 at 08:59 PM.
    newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Here is a pic without the bridle, i moved the ears back a bit, and am contemplating whether or not to add a mane/forelock, ie.

Sone_one: I see waht you mean. What would be better to use for highlights/shadows? like more and less saturated colours, different colors or what?

About the scene, i had a kind of western thing in mind when i started, with the noseband-less bridle, I'm thinking like a bush stockman king of thing with sheep in the bg. Can't go wrong with sheep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You seem to be making one fundamental error with regards to your painting... something easily correctable. Don't highlight with white or shade with black. It'll end up looking flat and uninteresting. Light isn't all one colour.

I've made these changes.

1. I couldn't really tell what you were intending about the light, so I made the sky a more sky-ish colour. The blue you had might suggest a later time of day, but the lighting on the horse was strange for that sort of situation.

2. I went over the highlights in a light yellow-orange with a moderately high saturation. This is because the light from the sun would be white/yellow. I also fixed up the anatomy somewhat with this. The basic head shape was good, but the big line you had going down the side didn't fit.

3. Added some black to the eye and made the highlight brighter so that it looked more wet.

4. Made the muzzle darker and added a blaze of white and the forelock. This is just to add interest and be a bit more correct. A bay horse will generally have black skin, and therefore a black nose. The blaze and the forelock are just to have more things to look at.

5. Gone over the shadows in a very dark green with a low saturation because there would be reflected light from the grass that would be green.

6. Highlighted the hill with yellow-green a bit to give a bit more of a sense of distance and environment.

I like the sketch you had with this. The basic head-shape was quite correct. Just gotta work on those painting skills! Good work

Last edited by Tully; March 12th, 2005 at 10:02 PM.
    Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow tully, thanks heaps! Blew me right out of the water! fantastic hints, i will take them all into account. This whole exercise was to help me out with colouring, and your take on it will help me out so much. Thanks again.

Oh, i was going for a chestnut horse...but yours looks more stockhorse-ish than mine did :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some handy tricks for getting stuff in the right place on horses.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oo thats a pretty wierd lookng horse zap :o

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.