Thread: crimson howler

Thanks

crimson howler

Howdy y'all! Being as this is my first post to concept art ever, I thought I would try to start big. Yeah, well... TRY. anywhoo, I just finished this picture this week, and I was hoping to get some serious critique.

crimson howler

A pencil sketch scanned into photoshop for about 5 hours of coloring. I am done with this picture. Not that it couldn't be improved, but I am just done. Still, I was hoping to get some objective opinions. Thanks!

Edit: Oh yeah, I am new here, and while I really like everything I am seeing, there is still a lot of forums I have yet to read. My first attempt to get the image up was less than successful. I am thingking this would have been better in the subtopic. So to sum up: New here, haven't read, blockhead. Okay, let's move on.
    Last edited by N-Mel; March 12th, 2005 at 02:27 AM. Reason: fixed broken image
    Don't forget to visit my sketchbook and see what's new at www.neil.melville.ws
    I'll sting you real bad with my stingery thing if you forget, and then you will be so sad!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    It's a great first, his right arm is looking weird, maybe cause it's not twisting right, and his right hand is larger than his left. The colors kinda work, but i don't know imho the purplish shadows kinda bothers me. Welcome to conceptart.org and hope ya enjoy your stay here, oh and start a sketchbook.
    "If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Sok's Sketchbook Thread Last Updated November 25

Thanks
    If you can find a big mirror, or a roomate or someone who can be your guinea pig, attempt to recreate the pose...looking at a reference picture could solve things in a superficial way without having to leave your computer, but your memory will benefit from a real-life experiment. What George B. Bridgeman says about rhythm just came to mind...

"[when shading] no two tones of equal size or intensity should appear directly above one another or side by side; their arrangement should be shifting and alternate."

What's un-nerving about the pose is that for the length of the arms the similar shapes are parallel with one another and have approximately the same coloring... Try to suggest a more stair-step alternation of shapes by your choice of values and also by deciding which side of the the figure is more active and passive. (and buy Bridgeman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life if you don't have it yet)

I'll comment on the background: You've done very well with creating the illusion of depth and mass with everything below the horizon level, but the two mountains seem almost like pieces of cardboard with a texture painted on them. One would assume that the mountain on the left is further away because the indication of fissures in the rocks is a smaller version of the same texture on the right, but why are the values precisely the same? Again, I wouldn't expect you to have difficulty showing similar objects receding based on your very convincing work with the flags on the ground plane.
    Why do you get all the lunch in the world?

Become an accountability partner in my struggle to stop sketching on lined paper, click here.

Thanks
    crimson howler

I used a big transparent brush on the background, trying to create a bit more tonal variety, make the forms seem "chunkier," and emphasize the sweeping aspect of the composition. I also desaturated and darkened various areas of the figure to try and illustrate the point about rhythm...I'm not sure if the results were that much of an improvement, more a revelation of my newb digital painting ability (especially how I butchered your flag on the left hand side). It at least shows a possible direction you could take this peice. Hopefully you'll feel encouraged to experiment with my suggestions as you most certainly would do a better job of it than above.
    Why do you get all the lunch in the world?

Become an accountability partner in my struggle to stop sketching on lined paper, click here.

Thanks

Thanks!!!

I do enjoy this site, and posting makes it even better...

I thought that putting this up during crit week might have generated more critique, but I guess it can be hard to cut loose on a forum nooB.

Sok N. Wett: Yeah, that right arm is messed up. It was even worse in the sketch and I made some attempt to help it during the painting...obviously not enough. And as per your request I have started a sketchbook.

Sim: Wow. I really appreciate the time and thought you put into this crit. You totally caught me not using ANY ref. I do that way too much. I also see where creating more dynamic rhythm of form and color would help this piece. And the bg mountains were not intended to be at different distance, but random application of detail yeilded a larger pattern on the one side. Of course the size of those details would be used as a distance cue, and I should have pushed for different values for each. And thanks for the visual representation of your comments. I may have to go back and work on this more after all.
    Don't forget to visit my sketchbook and see what's new at www.neil.melville.ws
    I'll sting you real bad with my stingery thing if you forget, and then you will be so sad!