Art: memory drawing excersise?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

memory drawing excersise?

for those who have read nicolades' the natural way to draw, can you please tell me how you approach the memory excerise? He says remeber with your muscles, does that mean you act out the pose? or do you sit still in your seat and just gaze at the figure?

please help....

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi this might help... got it from some site and decided to keep it...I don't remeber which one .... The last paragraph might be of most interest for you

Lecoq offered some general ideas to guide artists in their memory work.

In observing any subject, he noted, there are five principal points to keep in mind: dimensions, position, form, modeling, and color.

• To determine dimensions, choose some part of the subject (in a figure, the head, for example) as a unit of measure, and use it to compare the proportions of different parts to the whole.

• To fix position, establish "landmarks"-prominent points of the subject-and imagine horizontal and vertical lines passing through them. The points and the intersections of the lines form a simplified grid that can be easily remembered and referred to when drawing the subject from memory.

• In observing forms, imagine them enclosed within simple geometric shapes-circles, squares, and triangles-and then decide how far the observed form deviates from the imaginary shape superimposed upon it.

• Modeling, or three-dimensionality, is best remembered by noting the pattern of light and shade on the subject. Pick one part of the subject, either the darkest or the lightest, to use as the unit of comparison to measure the relative values of all the other parts.

• Color observation requires judgment of both value and intensity of tones. In an advanced course of training, after they had mastered memory drawing in black and white, Lecoq's students memorized a series of pure color tints, which they then could use as fixed points of comparison to judge the intensity of colors observed in the subject.

These general methods are especially important in the early stages of memory training, but with practice, such conscious guidelines become gradually less necessary, according to Lecoq. "For then the proportions, points, shapes, modeling, and color are calculated by what I may call the inner eye of the memory, without recourse to previous calculations and reasoning, much as they are judged by the eye in ordinary vision."

Finally, Lecoq recommended one overwhelmingly successful method of committing any object to memory: the "formula," he called it, despite his own distrust of formulas. With the object in view, he said, trace its outline or major forms in the air with the tip of your finger or a pencil. Then look away from the object, close your eyes, and draw it again in the air. Repeat the process rapidly, as often as it takes to fix the object clearly in your mind.

My sketchbook flawed to the max page 5
    Ps:Hope you understand my English.
    Remember my advices taste best with a grain of salt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply, but Nicolades' memory excersise is a bit diffrent. He says not to use any intelligent method of memorizing and using pure physical sensations. The above method works well but I'm suppose to look at 30 sec poses one after another without any tracing in the air with hand or mental grid...

My main problem is not that I cannot remeber the pose, I can, but only if I act out the poses myself. I am not sure if I'm suppose to do this, but in terms of physical sensations, this is the only thing i could think of.

Side note: acting out poses work surprisingly well, far exceeding every other method I've tried. I sort of feel like I'm cheating because it seems so much easier than sitting completely still using eyes only.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to give a bump, i read from Brian lemay something about memory.

He tells about visualization, an ability we all have, we have to develop. It s simply trying to have in mind (often eye closed) the sharpest silhouette we can . He even tells, that he did this so much, that sometimes he get the image burn on retina, like staring at light, and he only trace out the drawing... Make me dream...

any other tips ? technique?
    I think its an over important part of drawing, but not enough covered...
    Is the book of nicolaid great help in this domain ?

Thx, cya

Members who have read this thread: 1