What The Next Best Computer Animation School After Ringlings, As A Safety?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question What The Next Best Computer Animation School After Ringlings, As A Safety?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The three schools I officially applied to were SCAD, Pratt, and Ringling - I don't know, I didn't really have a first choice then - but Pratt and SCAD also have great 3-D animation programs.

Check out SVA too - they checked off my portfolio at National Portfolio Day, but I didn't apply there - mostly it was in mainland Manhattan and didn't have a campus or anything.

Let's see... I know somebody who's going for animation/3D animation at VCU... George Mason University actually have a 3D animation program too - but its not really an art school. I'm just naming schools around here I know (come from DC).

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well...like Andoo and onigod have said, SCAD is an option. Also, check out Sheridan in Canada, I hear that's a good program. Another option is CalArts, but they focus more on experimentation in all kinds of animation. If you're into that, it may be for you. And still another option is SVA. I think think deadline is in like 3 days and the student reels aren't anything to rave about. Again, it seems like they look for experimentation and novelty, not solid foundation in 2d/3d animation and storytelling. Hell...most of the reels don't even have a hint of a story. Please tell me what the point is in showing a cartoon star jumping up and smacking into a window repeadtedly all in tune to the Forrest Gump soundtrack.

Ok...let's not turn this into a rant about SVA now. I'm very glad they rejected me It gave me the chance to go to Ringling. So, thanks to SVA for that!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sula_nebouxi
    Also, check out Sheridan in Canada, I hear that's a good program. Another option is CalArts, but they focus more on experimentation in all kinds of animation.
    I'm not sure many people would consider Sheridan and CalArts as "backup" choices.

Also, both have classical animation programs, not just experimental.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just offering options not necessarily safety schools . If it's a safety school you're looking for, maybe a 2 year certificate program may be in store for you. VFS in canada, gnomon in hollywood, places like that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They're "backups" by definition if he chooses to go somewhere else first. I don't think anyone's disregarding their quality.

Their reels might suck over at SVA (haven't seen, don't know) but look at the details of the curric and your mouth will water. I think they're just in need of better students.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know, I'm looking back on the topic of this thread and I don't really agree with your statement. You say "What The Next Best Computer Animation School After Ringlings, As A Safety?" Basically you're saying right off hand that Ringling is the top animation school. Personally, I don't think there is a top animation school; if there was a top animation school I think there'd be rankings posted on the internet like for Harvard, Princeton, or MIT and I think ConceptArt.org's ART SCHOOLS & EDUCATION section wouldn't have 2/3s of the threads it currently has on people asking which school to pick, which is the best.

I'm not saying Ringling is bad, I applied and got accepted; I think it is a very good school. I just look back on the thread's topic and don't think you can really say for certain which school is better or not.

I don't think you meant it that way. I think you meant it like - "What other schools are there available that I may use as a safety school, because I personally want to go to Ringling." I'm just saying if that's the case you should definetely restate the topic, because the current topic says: "Ringling is the best school - which schools of lesser quality can I pick as a safe school?"

And as for me, I'm choosing Pratt over Ringling. And I too am going for 3D animation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^ There ARE rankings posted on the internet. Ringling is the top computer animation school in the United States.

I'd say maybe CalArts? Or Sheridan as a back up? SCAD is....okay. Put Sheridan and CalArts ahead of SCAD though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know, there exist some rankings but not any sure-fire good ones. See, art schools aren't like regular schools where you have someone with perfect grades and rankings compare how well the students do academically, etc.

The thing with art schools are that they are full of artists - diverse, multitalented artists who each have their own distinct style and own way in creating art. This just goes toward the question of "What is art?" which I'm not even going to delve into because it's completely off-base with the current topic.

I would like to, however, quote an interesting site I just came across that basically sums up what I'm trying to say in a way you might find more pleasing:

" By ArtSchools.com Staff
    July 27, 2004

From time to time, students ask us "What are the best art schools?"

It's an obvious question that most art students ask in the course of seeking an education - but it's also a loaded question without an easy answer.

Generally, we agree with the many "reasonable" critiques of such rankings in that we feel that every student has individual needs, and any attempt to distill these needs into a one-size-fits-all list of "The Very Best Art Colleges in the World!" is probably a disservice to the real needs of the student, whether they realize that themselves or not.

But, since it is a question that is asked so frequently, we feel that we must offer a response for our readers, so here it is (insert drum roll here):

There is no one best art school for everyone. "

- (Taken from http://www.artschools.com/articles/ranking/ )

Another thing to add - I may have contradicted myself earlier (I tend to do that a lot in arguments), but I don't agree with Ringling being the top animation school. If I did, I'd be going there instead of Pratt. These are your opinions and I respect them, but wouldn't you agree youself that there is no best art school out there, because if there was everyone would be applying there right away and not asking which school to apply to?

Last edited by onigod; April 6th, 2005 at 06:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that's why she included the word "computer" before "animation school." If we're going on all facets of well-rounded greatness for overall or traditional animation education, I would put real money on CalArts topping more lists than any other school.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by onigod
    You know, there exist some rankings but not any sure-fire good ones. See, art schools aren't like regular schools where you have someone with perfect grades and rankings compare how well the students do academically, etc.

The thing with art schools are that they are full of artists - diverse, multitalented artists who each have their own distinct style and own way in creating art. This just goes toward the question of "What is art?" which I'm not even going to delve into because it's completely off-base with the current topic.

I would like to, however, quote an interesting site I just came across that basically sums up what I'm trying to say in a way you might find more pleasing:

" By ArtSchools.com Staff
    July 27, 2004

From time to time, students ask us "What are the best art schools?"

It's an obvious question that most art students ask in the course of seeking an education - but it's also a loaded question without an easy answer.

Generally, we agree with the many "reasonable" critiques of such rankings in that we feel that every student has individual needs, and any attempt to distill these needs into a one-size-fits-all list of "The Very Best Art Colleges in the World!" is probably a disservice to the real needs of the student, whether they realize that themselves or not.

But, since it is a question that is asked so frequently, we feel that we must offer a response for our readers, so here it is (insert drum roll here):

There is no one best art school for everyone. "

- (Taken from http://www.artschools.com/articles/ranking/ )

Another thing to add - I may have contradicted myself earlier (I tend to do that a lot in arguments), but I don't agree with Ringling being the top animation school. If I did, I'd be going there instead of Pratt. These are your opinions and I respect them, but wouldn't you agree youself that there is no best art school out there, because if there was everyone would be applying there right away and not asking which school to apply to?
    it makes sense.It is like the question,"what is the best program to paint/draw with?"...Rankings are based on different things by different people. One bad expirence could make some one put a school on a lower rung while another student grew alot while in school and landed a a+ job. It comes down to 'what is the best school for me?' what do i need from this school or any school. Not what I want, or what they offer. I do not think places like pixar or disney would make a decesion of a job based on how the school of your choice ranked. I dunno,that is just what i think

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.