Painter HELP!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Painter HELP!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Painter HELP!

I have gotten pretty good at painting in photoshop -I'm comfortable using a variety of brushes, and I can approach my work with confidence.

I just got painter. And now I suck again. I am totally lost - I have no idea what medium to use for what, and can't help but produce amateurish looking garbage! Can anyone help me get my head around this program? I know is praised by those who use it, and I've seen the amazing results you can get, but I just don't know how to approach making a digital painting in it!

Thanks so much!

:: Spartan ::
    www.chrisbourassa.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You'll have to really play with the brushes to see what fits you. My biggest recomendation is to make sure you go to brush tracking (Edit, Preferences, Brush Tracking). It sets your pen pressure. I found Painters default setting to be crap.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for the reply!
    yep - did the calibration thing...now I'm just sort of floundering in a sea of media options. Is there any brush type or medium you've found to work well, or be a good place to start?

www.chrisbourassa.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It helps me to be very very minimal --- find a few brushes that you like a lot, Painter can really really overwhelm you with its options --- just take baby steps.

It also helped me to always have a 'scratch-page' open to play about with, keep experementing and that 'scarch-page' will turn into something too.

my website
    -- playing: "Pikmin 3" and "World of Tanks"
    -- reading: "Death of the Liberal Class" -Chris Hedges

O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible. - Pindar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you got problems with Painter, maybe this section would help you : HERE
    don't you think bro ?

I agree with Sammy, too many brushes kills brushes... learn to play with each type of brush, take your time and customize windows in painter....

I'm a manky artist, don't mess with me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks alot for the advice guys.

I feel like a dumbass, forge - I had no idea that section int he forum even existed!

I'll keep plugging away brush by brush, and try to find soemthign that works for me.

www.chrisbourassa.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 133 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    painter is all about experimentation, if you find a brush you like keep at it and explore some of its options once you get more comfortable. its easy to become overwhelmed but you will find that once you get used to it you can use 4 or 5 brushes to give you all the variation you need.

just start slow and mover from there. find a brush to use for sketching and line work like the pencil of fine tip marker, . get really used to it until it feels right and natural .

then find a brush to lay in big areas of color and value like a loaded pallet knife.

then expirement with the chalk too for texture work.

between those 3 you will find they offer lots of variation.

, but whatever you do dont forget to have fun. if your finding it stressfull than you are aproaching it from the wrong mindset, it should be new and exciting, and full of suprises. treat it will a childs mentality and its complexity will amaze you.

the new Painter 9 wow book should come out sometime in april, it will be full of lots of tricks and tips. i have a turotial in the new book that goes over some of these brushes and the setting i use them at.

good luck and fave FUN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I got painter, I had to literally go through brush by brush, medium by medium, to find what worked for me. That was over a year ago, and I'm *still* finding stuff I didn't know about (or rediscovering it with new eyes..)

Android's right. Take it slow and have fun with it.

A couple of things to keep in mind: you can drag a brush you like off the icon at the top right to create a "tool box". You can add brushes to this that you use frequently so you don't have to hunt for them again.

The best blenders I've found are "Just Add Water" for smooth blends and "Grainy Water" for more of textured, painterly feel. They work with almost *all* of the media.

I use the "Fine Tip Soft Airbrush" set very small for details, and will often work with just the tinting brush (slightly customized) for regular painting. Don't be afraid to mix things up and use different media together to get what you want.

Hope that helps.
    Cheers,
    ~Shane

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.