Whats your opinion on Taiwan/China?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Whats your opinion on Taiwan/China?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Whats your opinion on Taiwan/China?

Read this

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/as...law/index.html

China makes me feel so sick. Its seems most of the world, even the US is aligning with China, not for any moral or legal reasons, but for purely economic ones. It takes very simple, almost obvious logic to argue that Taiwan is a soveirgn, independent, free and democratic nation.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not if you ask the Chinese.

It was forcibly taken from them by the Japanese and was governed as a colony. The chinese civil war after WW2 was fought between Chian Kai Shek and the commies...commies won and the Kuomintang was forced to evac to the Taiwan Island and the population forced into military to "regain the mainland" from the commies....of course that never happened. To this day the chinese never acknowledged Taiwanese independence because of the Japanese action, as well as Kuomintang's loss in the war in 48.

Its easy for us to sit back and say who's right or wrong.

The issue here is China and Taiwan would do their utmost not to open war because of economic reliance on each other. But there will be some parties who would push the limits bit by bit.

If you ask me, I'm pondering the question why Taiwan feels it should be independent? There's gotta be more political reasons that we don't see. The Americans needing a "check" on China's military is part of the issue. They used to have Japan/Korea, Taiwan and the Phillipines, right now they need a self sustaining defensive wall against both China and North Korea because such a war would not be sustainable against N.Kor and China.

The politicians in Taiwan would want to retain power too. Look at Hong Kong...their legislative government is as good as a puppet government. There are a lot of parliamentry members in Taiwan with ties to the gangster/triad base in Taiwan and giving up the idea of independence doesn't sound like a promising thing...its as good as giving up your golden goose.

To say that Taiwan cannot be represented in the UN or are not allowed to have embassies in other nations is unfair-yes. But to not look deeper than the surface reasons for their independence....its as good as not seeing what you don't want to see.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree that pragmatically, it would not be in Taiwan's interest to declare "independence". I definately do not affliate with the green party(i'm not referring to the american variety). As of now, Taiwan does not feel any harmful consequence of being treated as a second tier entity. There is little chance of nuclear conflict across the strait (taiwan gave up efforts to develop/acquire nuclear weapons many years ago) and increasing economic bindings between Taiwan and China makes a war extremely damaging to both regardless who wins. I do not believe this balance will last. At some point, this decade, maybe next, China's military and economic might will grow to porportions that the United States will feel, not worthwhile to check. If the the growth of china's democracy and humanism do not match speed with that of it military and economy, China may one day calculate that the conquest of Taiwan is worth the consequence. One's sin and consequence tend to dissolve with time if he can offer something (like buisiness) to his punishers(europe is lifting the arms embargo put on China in response to the Tiannamin square incident). As China grows, Taiwan will become more and more isolated, constricted. One by one, Taiwan's allies will abandon her, either through pressure from China, or promises of buisiness. When even the United States turns its back, there will be no one to criticize, fight or punish China. The one china two systems policy will not work (Hong Kong democracy, despite great efforts is being choked by the Mainland). Taiwan is a model democracy. She has her own military, government, civil service, culture. It is true that Taiwan was occupied by Japan,but it was the Nationalists, the Koumingtang and not the Communists who freed Taiwan. Never once has the red flag flown in Taiwan, so what exactly is Taiwan declaring independence from if she had always been independent? The US claims to be the greatest champion of freedom. Will it allow the only chinese democracy to be snuffed out in exchange for the favor of a totalitarian juggernaut? That will be a sin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Taiwan is home to the tallest building in the world currently
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3269477.stm

if China attacks, they will definitly target it

I'm half Taiwenese...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that building is really really ugly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But its really tall!

Oliver: I'm not suggesting your points are invalid or anything...but errr, that sounds exactly like what the white house would say. It goes back to the Iraqi situation and how the US views its own foriegn policy....Its saying, "we're right, you're wrong and should listen to us.".....

I've got nothing more to add to this discussion for now though. Just that I agree it sucks to be Taiwanese now (that's why my Landlord moved to Canada).

Last edited by darth massacre; March 10th, 2005 at 08:21 PM.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Taiwan is home to the tallest building in the world currently
    it's so big and hard...

i'm just kidding...

Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.