Are there too many people who want to concept artists?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Are there too many people who want to concept artists?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Are there too many people who want to concept artists?

ok, this is probably a stupid question,
    but it seems to me that more and more people want to be concept artists. this is understandable, as drawing and imagining all this cool stuff sounds like a job that many people would want. Now, personally I think we can never have too many creative artists, but will it be harder and more competitive to get work in this field as more and more people (like myself) who grew up with Warcraft and Jurassic Park decide that this is what they want to do?
    or is this really just a stupid question?
    Thanks
    Dan

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutillus
    ok, this is probably a stupid question,
    but it seems to me that more and more people want to be concept artists. this is understandable, as drawing and imagining all this cool stuff sounds like a job that many people would want. Now, personally I think we can never have too many creative artists, but will it be harder and more competitive to get work in this field as more and more people (like myself) who grew up with Warcraft and Jurassic Park decide that this is what they want to do?
    or is this really just a stupid question?
    Thanks
    Dan
    yeah i worry about that, i wonder if i'll ever get the job or not...
    i thought working at weta workshops or any well-known studio in hollywood would be sweet. OR i could work for a game development team, or just freelance and look for whatever pays me the most. so yeah, i worry aout the job availability in the future. that's why if i really want this job or you do, we gotta be our best.

Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I believe that there are too many people who don't know what true concept art is and merely want an excuse to draw the same old mechs and giant sword wielding barbarians over and over again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutillus
    Now, personally I think we can never have too many creative artists, but will it be harder and more competitive to get work in this field
    Maybe, but hard truth, most people wont have the skills to get anything beyond an entry-level job. Things like gaming and such are really easy to get into even entry-level stuff. If your talking top tier jobs then you have to have a very broad range of skills and be good at just about everything. Plus, most people don't have the time/patience/desire, or in some cases, the access to a good education. There are so many elements that come into play if you want to be a good artist. And unfortunately life gets in the way alot. As far as everyone wanting to be a concept artist, on these boards yeah probably, but I'll be the odd man out and say I have no interest in conceptual art whatsoever. Anyway, my .02

-tiny

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Problem is, if you work in a small setup like most game development companies, you're not just expected to do concept art. Most want multi-skilled artists with good grasp of conceptual artwork, 3D modelling and Texturing. If not what happens to you when the game moves from pre production into production and post production?

Unless you're willing to do contract work which offers a lot of money but no stability and the income is inconsistent.....of course if you're like some of the superstars we know on CA....jobs come to you.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Exo
    I believe that there are too many people who don't know what true concept art is and merely want an excuse to draw the same old mechs and giant sword wielding barbarians over and over again.

Exo is right on key --- these are the people you probobly don't have to worry about, even if most of us started out like that.

If you have the drive and inspiration that energy will be channeled into something else ... If you really want to influence and grow within an entertainment industry you respect, you should be fine.

my website
    -- playing: "Pikmin 3" and "World of Tanks"
    -- reading: "Death of the Liberal Class" -Chris Hedges

O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible. - Pindar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tinyhands
    Maybe, but hard truth, most people wont have the skills to get anything beyond an entry-level job. Things like gaming and such are really easy to get into even entry-level stuff. If your talking top tier jobs then you have to have a very broad range of skills and be good at just about everything. Plus, most people don't have the time/patience/desire, or in some cases, the access to a good education. There are so many elements that come into play if you want to be a good artist. And unfortunately life gets in the way alot. As far as everyone wanting to be a concept artist, on these boards yeah probably, but I'll be the odd man out and say I have no interest in conceptual art whatsoever. Anyway, my .02

-tiny
    same here tiny i have no intrest in concept art. i think there are quite a bit of people on this board who have no intrest in concepet art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    u can always be an illustrator!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Being an artist, is a beutiful thing. So many options.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've kind of been wondering how popular art is these days. The problem is.. I spend my whole day associated with art and other artists... so to me it feels like EVERYONE is trying to be a concept artist. Aside from all that: Personally, I hope it becomes more popular. I hope there are 10,000 people fighting for every job. The competition is one of the best parts... a constant high demand to be one of the best and continue to raise your skills.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

i totally agree with darth massacre

Quote Originally Posted by darth massacre
    Problem is, if you work in a small setup like most game development companies, you're not just expected to do concept art. Most want multi-skilled artists with good grasp of conceptual artwork, 3D modelling and Texturing. If not what happens to you when the game moves from pre production into production and post production?

Unless you're willing to do contract work which offers a lot of money but no stability and the income is inconsistent.....of course if you're like some of the superstars we know on CA....jobs come to you.
    >beeing a pro conceptartist is comparable beeing a pro jazzmusician<

1. >>strong improvisationskills<< || the outlines got to come from scratch /quick / realtime

2. >>strong knowlege about the scales you are using<< // if you are on jamsession/ improvisating on a style you get/from the backline you got to make a desicion realtime ||it`s just the same as an >pro CA< got to come to an desicion about the style because u got to work quick otherwise you won`t be pro /

3.>>the audience is listening<< / if you are on open Jamsession with your homies messing up with the hooklines you are playing the other guys in the session will think / oh this guy hasen`t done his homework || the same your boss will fire you if you don`t match the timeframe/ deadlines / doing crappy art!

4. if you are a bass,guitar,pianoplayer coming on jamsession where the drummer is missing you got to be able to do this part too / the same like darth talk about.

and just in the case that the graphicengines in the games getting more and more high developed in the next years the people want to demo the results of their work.Thats why there cannot be enough ca`s in the world because
    everybody learn from each other and the best will get the job.

i know this because my father is a pro musician not Jazz but Classic.if he`s on holiday everyday hes training his intrument just because if he lost his flow
    he will spend much more time then his daily lesson will take to get in it again!

i think this is a good kind to reach a settlement for two creative jobs !
    and to be >pro< is all about to admit one's responsibility!

if you already have learnd all the >>realbooks<< it will be no problem to go to the beertend and play YMCA for the masses!!

thank you mark

im no ca pro /but painting has always been a passion of me since im a child /so please if i missunderstood something please redirect me!!
    i just joined this board because i couldn`t find anything else where such highly skilled Illustrators around!!

sorry about my krautenglish

Last edited by matesch; March 11th, 2005 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    u can always be an illustrator!
    This is probably a much more realistic goal. With so many artists clamoring to enter a narrow field like concept art for the game & film industry, you run headlong into the law of supply & demand: The supply of artists is huge while the demand of the industry is much smaller. The only artists who could hope to earn a living wage in this field are the artists at the top who have proven their ability to sell a concept. Everyone else who even gets a shot will be competing with hundreds of other artists for a few projects that pay poorly.

Working toward a goal of becomming a general illustrator will serve most artists better. You may not get as many opportunities to draw scary monsters, half-naked women or cool looking space ships, but you will at least be able to earn your living as an artist which is certainly better than working at Walmart (A.K.A. Soul-Sucking day job).

Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Members who have read this thread: 2