Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    great book here
    definitely improved
    and you SHOULD have blood coming from his groin
    "Don't look into car headlights and freeze, because you'll either get run over or shot!'"

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    mosha mosha.

yum.

CHoughton - thanks for stopping by. no, no optic blood...he's not Cyclops.

dada - what up dude? nah, no groinal blood; had to keep it appropriate for Fortune 500 officemeetings.

dashi - yo dude, thx for coming, and thx. groinal blood? see the above sentence.

so, not much on. Festival today...took pics...festival tomorrow...sleep also tomorrow/today...i thought it'd be appropriate...i dunno what im saying. heres pix before i pass out. g'night.

It came from Japan...Back and back to basics! (7.2.14)

oyasumi.
    -A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Yo Purb, thanks for stopping by my sketchbook so often, I appreciate it and i thought I had left a post here? hmm...

Anyway, I like what you are doing with the anatomy studies and I think you have a hilarious imagination, but i feel that some other aspects may need to be looked at. The most obvious one to me is the lineweight, you're feathering way too much and its hurting the cleanliness of your artwork. Depending on what type of media you are using, I'd recommend ghosting lightly a couple of times before committing with a controlled heavy stroke. The ghost lines builds pathways in your brain from repetition and allows you to after a few ghost lines to drop in a precise rendered line.

Also, you might want to start learning to define with value rather than lines, for this you need a pretty good understanding of light as a render tool, so I'd suggest picking up a photography book.

I'd suggest using lines only for certain things, such as edges and the sillouette line - a couple of artists you might wanna look at to see their techniques:

http://www.carloshuanteart.com
    http://www.sangjunart.com/home.html

m

Thanks
    haha. so i fell asleep at the computer last night, probably right after (if not during) last post. so...um...sorry bout that. anyway, i woke up today at like, 3am (who can get any decent sleep at the computer?...don't answer that) and checked out mentler's sb for a while, and before i had never really understood his style and what he was doing over there, but somehow it just clicked today and i was like, "WOW". so i checked out some of his links on the SOFA and found some nice anatomy links and, figuring its been a while since ive done some arms, and since i never really got the anatomy down for them, i figured id do some of them. so i spent 3:30-6am browsing the boards and drawing arms. church this morning then another festival, this one from 1pm to ...well, i got home at 11pm. fun stuff, horses, ill put up those pics when i get through drawing on that page.

Magic - this is kindof a 2 part response...sorry if it gets a little . first of all, im glad that you like the anatomy stuff, and the silly stuff. thanks for the crit as well; its always nice to receive a good solid crit. i must say, honestly, my reaction to it has gone through stages: denial, pride, acknowledgement, logic, ...and some other stages. where i stand on it now, i agree in part. in "defense" (but not really) of the sketchiness, ill just say that most of my drawings that are in this sketchbook are just that, sketches. fact, i barely ever "finish" a drawing, but those that i do finish end up looking waaaaaay cleaner than most of the stuff you see here. i know a lot of anatomy in general, but im still finding tons of stuff that i have been doing wrong. for that reason, i have taken to using construction for the things that i do. lately ive been using ballpoint pen, and a lot of it is just quick stuff to do, not really for cleanliness, but to make sure that i get the right proportions down and with a sense of form that i can see (cause i can't render for my life and my drawings otherwise would tend to look flat). i think that if i was going for a more finished look (which you will see in some of the drawings in the coming posts), yeah, my stuff would look much cleaner. that said, yeah, i cant render for junk, and i really dont have a sense of value and light and shading at the moment, so i tend to define everything with line. value is a huge weakness for me, something i really need to overcome, and i am starting to work on that, even now. i don't really have the confidence in my hand at the moment to draw things cleaner from the beginning, but yeah, it is another thing that i will need to work on. i havent checked out the sites you sent me, cause i really havent been in all day, but i will soon...thanx in advance for them dude. and definitely, thanx for the crits; my friend from school was also telling me that i need to work on defining by values, so youre definitely right on. glad that you care about helping me to get better; thats what this place is all about, right? really dude, i appreciate it. and, yeah, crit away, keep them coming. well, we all got our work cut out for us...but...WE AIN'T NEVER SCARED! [WHAT?!]

breathe in, breathe out...

ok, that was long. and this is a really short update, but i really wanted to reply and i didnt want to reply without posting something up, so for yalls' (Fellah most of all, ) viewing pleasure, here's some out the for your .

what more can i say? enjoy.

oyasumi.

its that time again...
    -A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Dude, you're now officially getting somewhere You're anatomy-studies are getting very great but I agree with Magic man, you get pretty fuzzy. I for myself think that's because of the pencil because that's the fuzziest medium on earth in my eyes. I'd suggest you use some pens for a change and see how you get along.

As far as I can tell, the last update is a very good step in a very right direction, however.

Thanks
    faust - thx for stopping by; thx for the encouragement too. well, like i said to magic, i rarely use pencils; its mostly ballpoint pen that i use. i rarely ever use pencil anymore, unless its to just do a rough sketch so i can do some practice inking, or working on forms for peoples faces and stuff. i feel the roughness comes from (for the most part) not really caring about being clean or finished; most of the sketches are just that, sketches. either a quick sketch to work on a little bit of anatomy or thumbnailing, or just something for fun and giggles. there is a need for more "finished" works though, cause if i want to have a portfolio i will need to have works that are "finished" to a degree. that will come as a consequence of working on line weight, which is one of the next steps (along with the ever-present anatomy battle), so expect better quality things in the times to come. hope to see you round again, and ill be by your book soon too.

warmup from tonight and a portrait i worked on in school of one of my teachers. she'd never been drawn before, so she said. warmup is just some messing around with Craig Houton's tendril brush, which i intend to appropriate as a digital brush pen, which will hopefully help me work on line weight in the digital realm as well as the traditional.

xie xie ni. wo ai ni; wan an.
    -A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    maybe i should just start going to bed earlier.

but then, i wouldnt have much artwork to show. last night, i was working on a portrait of a friend for her birthday that i royally messed up on. king-sized. looks nothing like her at all. well, for a well-needed change of pace, me and another friend took a drive to the movie shop, rented some stuff, came back and watched while i worked on a different drawing (the last in the series for my dad). i think i was up until like, 3 or 4 am working on it. finally finished it, and then scanned some stuff to put up here, but photoshop went all frozen on me, so i had to shut down and reboot. only, i fell asleep at the computer without rebooting. so, no post last night. gomen ne.

magic - thanks for the links. i really like the stuff over at mr. huante's site. killer sketches! keep doin yo thang, man.

so today, we have...some warmups, some sketches, and the feature presentation. warmups were working with some of houghton-san's brushes...they give a very different texture than what im used to, but i like them. i like the brush pen a lot (tendril brush with a smaller default size); thanks houghton-san!

off to handbell practice. TO THE BATMOBILE!!!
    -A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Man this sketchbook rules, packed with character.
    YOU LIVE IN JAPAN?! Man it'd rule to live there....

Thanks
    Sup fellow gaijin. (us brothers in japan gotta stick together) anyways I was just looking at this thread and just going from the first page to the second I see big improvement!!!!!!! nice keep it up. Remember man pages and pages of those studies playa!!!!! I like the one with the dude on the operating table btw.

Thanks
    Hey purb, great improvment in here mate, the third page down has some great stuff on it, your posts on the 6th and the 7th had some nice stuff on them aswell, looking forward to your next post, it would be good to see finished work, if you have started any or working on any

cheers

-shin

Thanks
    Asoir - what up, dude, thanx for visiting; stay as long as you like. 8) yep dude, japan rules...until you have to pay the bills, same as every other place. got a lot of history here, and not only is it historical but its COOL too!

stryfe - konnichiwa, playa! long time no see. thanx for coming back; you're always welcome here. thanx for sticking with me for so long too. definitely, gaijin power!!! hows tokyo treatin you? genki? dude, you should really get a proper sketchbook up (and link to it in your signature ) so we can see some of your stuff and of your progress. getting back to the studies soon bro, just some stuff ive needed to take care of, but theyll be up...

shin - thx dude. well, you could call the pieces for my dad finished, as im pretty happy with them and im not going to be working on them again. but i definitely need more well-done out works in traditional media. its the grind, gotta get to it...

China and Laos trip in 4 days! so heres a big post to celebrate (well, just for no other reason, but what the hey?!)

boo.
    -A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    variations on a theme: more of the pic for my friend...gotta choose one to print and frame and give to her for her birthday...which one do you think?

in-progress shots
    It came from Japan...Back and back to basics! (7.2.14) It came from Japan...Back and back to basics! (7.2.14) It came from Japan...Back and back to basics! (7.2.14) It came from Japan...Back and back to basics! (7.2.14) It came from Japan...Back and back to basics! (7.2.14)

style variations
    It came from Japan...Back and back to basics! (7.2.14) It came from Japan...Back and back to basics! (7.2.14) It came from Japan...Back and back to basics! (7.2.14)

dochi kana?
    -A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Sup purb
    I think you should go with one of the portraits on the white background or maybe tone down the contrast on the background to pop the subject. Also you may want to consider giving the her shirt or the bear a slightly different white value to seperate her from the bear.

Your studies are improving greatly The portrait from Aug. 8 is especially sweet, her expression really pulls through. Be cool to see that one in color.

Thanks
    Hallo. Thank you for posting in my thread. :3

It's really interesting to see, how you get better all the time... the progress looks very good and you have really unique ideas. Really makes me more inspired. ^^ I espercially like the random sketches - seeing how your mind wonders from one thing to another is fun to watch.

Though I noticed that the woman you drew as last, has maybe too much muscles. As a woman I have to say that I hate how I'm built - almost no muscles visible. :| Harder to practise from looking in the mirror. Maybe I should go to gym, but that would fight against my principle of not going out. xD *Loves her comp, where the tablet is at.*

From all I think I like the green man in this pic (http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/5...le0089a7qx.jpg) the most. Very nice muscles.. (in the matter of thinking about anatomics, not how hot the man is. x)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by purb36
    Magic - this is kindof a 2 part response...sorry if it gets a little . first of all, im glad that you like the anatomy stuff, and the silly stuff. thanks for the crit as well; its always nice to receive a good solid crit. i must say, honestly, my reaction to it has gone through stages: denial, pride, acknowledgement, logic, ...and some other stages. where i stand on it now, i agree in part. in "defense" (but not really) of the sketchiness, ill just say that most of my drawings that are in this sketchbook are just that, sketches. fact, i barely ever "finish" a drawing, but those that i do finish end up looking waaaaaay cleaner than most of the stuff you see here. i know a lot of anatomy in general, but im still finding tons of stuff that i have been doing wrong. for that reason, i have taken to using construction for the things that i do. lately ive been using ballpoint pen, and a lot of it is just quick stuff to do, not really for cleanliness, but to make sure that i get the right proportions down and with a sense of form that i can see (cause i can't render for my life and my drawings otherwise would tend to look flat). i think that if i was going for a more finished look (which you will see in some of the drawings in the coming posts), yeah, my stuff would look much cleaner. that said, yeah, i cant render for junk, and i really dont have a sense of value and light and shading at the moment, so i tend to define everything with line. value is a huge weakness for me, something i really need to overcome, and i am starting to work on that, even now. i don't really have the confidence in my hand at the moment to draw things cleaner from the beginning, but yeah, it is another thing that i will need to work on. i havent checked out the sites you sent me, cause i really havent been in all day, but i will soon...thanx in advance for them dude. and definitely, thanx for the crits; my friend from school was also telling me that i need to work on defining by values, so youre definitely right on. glad that you care about helping me to get better; thats what this place is all about, right? really dude, i appreciate it. and, yeah, crit away, keep them coming. well, we all got our work cut out for us...but...WE AIN'T NEVER SCARED! [WHAT?!]
    Rargh! the hallmark of a artist, able to give a crit, take a crit and improve - already I see in some of your latest pieces some much better understanding of value.

The way I think of value is by first realising that nothing happens in a vacuum, that light is an integral part of defining an objects form and that shadow is the negative spectral response to light.

As Ryan Church says, think about light as paint, if you throw it at an object where would it hit and where would it not. Thinking about it in this way really simplifies a process - far too many people think of drawing, design, then shape definition as separate entities - if you think of things in a logical fashion, and reaise that things are interconnected, definition and creation becomes 50% design and 50% context driven, meaning that you no longer have to think about what color is this or that, light, shadow, reflection, refracton and everything in between dictates it for you saving you the headache. Use these studies to understand lighting dynamics and apply it to your work and life will be so much easier!

Anyway, thanks for the crits in my thread too, I really appreciate them, but I'm trying to stick to my guns of responding only when i have something new to post

Btw, what are you studying in uni?

Thanks
    toki - i am going with either picture 2 or 4 (full red background, lines or no lines). printed out as a picture, the colors pop so much more and it looks really vivid. im not so sure i like having all the lines in there though cause its definitely not at clean, but i decided to print both of them and let her decide. yeah, shirt shouldve been a little darker, but its more of a belated birthday gift (im madd late) and...well, i guess im really just making excuses. i couldve done better. well, theres always next time.
    ps. yappari, kyou ano sensei no e wo iro de nutta. mitte ne!

onis - thx for stopping by dude, glad you could join us. always a pleasure to stop by your page dude, you are really improving as well, which is awesome to see. about my friend...yeah, i knew that arm would be problems. its not as much "muscle" as like, well, soft muscle, like kinda just hanging there. i tried to draw her as i saw, cause i had tried before without ref and most pics just came out horrible. like, bonfire-ready horrible. she's happy with the pic, and so im pretty happy with it. the next ones will be better (hopefully), so ill keep my mistakes in mind for when i work on them. sketchbookpages: no real rhyme or reason to them. i usually work on two or 3 pages at a time...i try to fill each page as much as i can, so if i find some useable space ill draw there. posted pages i (almost always) never work on again (unless theyre WIP drawings or other). glad you like the green man; did you know he's been your lover for a mill-ee-un years? inspired by magic and fellah's dynamic studies; keep them comin, playas.

magic - haha dude. def. you know ive been consciously (and sometimes even unconsciously) making an effort to add more value to my pics, even if my knowledge of it is limited. i swear, im starting to see everyting as art, its screwing with my head. when im talking with my friends, im looking at facial variations and checking out their features, with objects im looking at how they bounce the light and stuff...itll drive me crazy, till i just can't sleep. like now. :p i need to start doing some serious studies on light, so ill be starting that as well. and ill be thinking about it and looking out for it even more (gaaaaaah, its starting already!!!! ). so much to work on, so little time to sleep. but i can sleep when im dead, right? as for uni, i was a mechanical engineering major once upon a time. love making stuff, but i love people more. and since ive been in love with japan since i was 14 (Ronin Warriors, da bomb!), fell more in love with it when i came at 18, decided to apply to teach here at 22. so im teaching english to really awesome and cute 0-6 year-old japanese children. hence the pictures. its an awesome job, i love it to life, and it gives me a chance to draw since my kids are always like, "draw me pretty cure...draw me a fighting beetle...draw me [insert favorite tv character here]". thinking i might want to do children's illustration when i get out of here (or even while im here, definitely need to get a start), but i really would just love to draw whatever. i think it would be awesome to have that as something thats a 9-5, cause i really love drawing. so, when i get outta here...um...wanna hire me?

some painter warmups: sumi-e, conte, and mixed media coloring of a previous portrait; gonna give that to the teacher as well, cause she wanted it (which was why i drew it in the first place). good for practice.

1 more day till China!!! wo hen gaoxing!!!
    Last edited by purb36; August 18th, 2005 at 01:46 PM. Reason: wasurechatta
    -A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    was packing last night; wanted to put these up before i left. ill be away until the 28th and will only have limited computer access (if at all) until then, so ill keep drawing and working, and show yall my stuff when i get back. take care everybody!!!

linework to practice control, gonna try to do some of that every day so i get more confident with my lines, and some random sketches. gonna chibi-size my co-workers for a picture ( ) ; should be fun.

Xi'an, Beijing, wo lai!!!
    Last edited by purb36; August 19th, 2005 at 09:06 PM.
    -A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Had to stop by again to see how you're doing

Always studying I see. Please tell me if the line-studies work, would want to know that.

Your pics come along nicely and I see you master the pen more with every pic you post. Want bothers me though are your heads, they seem way too big for me, but that just might be my aversion against big heads

Your drawings all have something cute on them which is nice to see but I would wish some more variety in the style.

Thanks
    Il read this post from the first page purb and all I can say is wowo man do you have dedication and skill too. You just keep improving man. You draw really cute characters too not my thing but awww.

Thanks
    faust - doin good, thx for checking. ill keep posting the line studies, so you can see for yourself how effective they are (at least with me as an example...itll be a while before i become really good...maybe...we'll see). haha, so, though almost all the time i draw in pen, ive started to use pencil again, so what you'll see is a mixture of pen and pencil (for the time being). chibi is japanese for like, midget (or something like that). basically, the style is drawn with characters with huge heads and small bodies. so, im practicing doing the faces of my co-workers, and just adding the bodies in for fun. i have no idea when ill be finished with it, but ill be sure to show it when im done. as for other style, ill be doing more stuff with value (already started) so that should change some things up a bit, and i really need to start doing more things with cleaner linework and whatnot; hopefully thatll help as well. thx for the crits man.

bubs - im sorry that your face was a broken jpeg. hope it didnt hurt. haha, thx for stopping by dude. yeah, lots of cuteness here; practice for stuff so my students will love me more. kinda like bribery, but without all the cavities.

trip to china was awesome with a capitol 3! the only bad part (besides the part where the check-in attendent in bangkok said that my seat on the plane from china was taken though it really wasnt and i ended up having to stay an extra day cause of bad information) was that on the way back the airlines lost my only check-in bag, which had all of my souvenir gifts and my favorite clothes, along with a pair of new shoes that i had bought on the trip. well, shou ga nai, ne? it happens. hopefully ill get it back soon. anyway, this trip means that you get to see like, a post from the past week. about 20 pages or so. enjoy, and crit away.

ill get you 'eh steve, if its the last thing i dooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...
    -A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    had to split it into 2 posts cause there were too many images

i feel witty, oh so witty...
    -A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Purb my man nice update, lotta nice controlled lines.

Thanks
    hey purb - I love to follow your sketchbook. It's great to see hard work paying off. I was thinking one thing you should try as a good way to work on getting a full range of value into your drawings is to do some studies on a toned paper and then work in the light and dark values.
    Please stop by my new Anatomy Sketchbook and critique the hell out of it.

"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."- Mario Andretti

My Blog (Cartoony stuff)

My Illustration Website

Thanks
    asoir - thx dude. nice talking to you before.

crazyman - thx for the advice dude, maybe ill try it out sometime. planning to go to the art store this week anyway cause i need a new sketchbook...

just some of tonight's stuff. after seeing these three pics by jim lee and co. i was inspired to try my hand at spawn (and do some value practice while at it). but, i wanted to give him my own twist, so i present to you the super-deformed, chibi-sized...PRAWN!

now go to bed!
    -A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    draw more asian, they look better than the wst people! I always try to draw them, but I am not able to do so
    nice shadding and arms, anyway^^
    artwork
    nothing special....sadly....but I hope someday^^

when you want to mentor someone, you may want to come here
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...&postcount=406

Thanks
    fayt - yo dude, glad you could make it here; you came a loooooong way. but c'mon, there are equal numbers of bad-looking asians as there are bad-looking westerners. lately, ive just been trying to draw my friends or just people i know as portrait practice for facial features. of course, i try to get them right, but if i dont (which happens often, i suppose) its no big deal, just start another on another part of the paper.

but anyway...

good phone conversations tonight; ill leave it that. here's some stuff; yaaaaaaaaay for disposable thumbs!!!!

let's go down to the laaaa-BEEEEE, and have ourselves some geri!
    -A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Yay, Monkeys! Nice new page, keep updating!

Thanks
    asoir - thx dude. hope you're enjoying sketching and stuff. thx for the burne; more monkeys!

um...monkeys love doodles

i think that even 2 weeks ago, i couldnt have inked those pictures to look like anything decent. im lovin the line warmups; theyre really helping.

k...bedtime for the oiiiiiiiiii...i fell asleep at the keyboard. really goin this time....
    -A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    ah, a workhorse, very very nice, I like to see this kinda work ethic.

Keep going my brother.

Thanks
    Nice Purb, Nice. Ii yo. Hope everything is good. Keep working that pen. I have pretty clean lines from just drawing in pens. I wasted alot of paper, but it helped me to do clean work. Joshi wa doo? How is everything. I will probably be posting more after a couple weeks. Look forward to seeing more from you. Always happy to visit with ultraman too. Take it easy. Jaa, mata yo!

Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast