Sketchbook: It came from Japan...Back and back to basics! (4.14.14)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: It came from Japan...Back and back to basics! (4.14.14)

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

It came from Japan...Back and back to basics! (4.14.14)

hey all, and welcome! i have removed all content from this first post as it's no longer hosted where it was and it's just taking up space. my progress over the last 9 years is chronicled here (with the exception of a year and a half where i was absent from the .org); please feel free to take a look. cheers!
    -A

Last edited by purb36; 4 Days Ago at 12:32 AM. Reason: updated thread
    -A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your pics are great ...

i like the last one ... all the faces have character!

My sketchbook

I'd like to be a non-conformist, like all of my friends

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The last one I love. I agree with the above the faces have alot of character. I also see that you live in japan. where, cause I live here to. In Shinagawa. maybe we could meet up. PEACE!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ropa - thx man. its actually a picture of some of my students at one of the nursery schools i teach at. i had them each do short poses for me during free-play tme. im really happy with how it turned out, though i feel the first two kids got the short end of the stick...dont think it looked much like them, guess i had to warm up first or something.
    strife25 - konnichiwa! nice to meet you. haha man, wish it would be possible to meet up, but you live a close 4 hours away by shinkansen, 11 by bus...i live in a small town called yakage...very much a farm town in the southwestern part of japan, okayama-ken. work (sensei-ing) is keeping me very busy, and i really dont get vacation time like a normal job. maybe something could work out in the future, but for now im really far from tokyo. we will see man, we will see. anyway, nice to meet you, thanks for stopping by here and i hope to see you around again.

most of these are relatively new (since Christmas at least. i think.) pictures ive drawn and/or colored. ive actually been growing by leaps and bounds over the last couple months. got bridgaman recently, and i bought Batman: Hush, really great art Jim Lee and Scott Williams, story by Jeph Loeb. great to see more of Jim's work, havent bought it in a long time. anyway, im getting long-winded and i should sleep soon, so...

from the "coloring book" thread...lines by Slam, colors by me on painter 9. first time using.

edit* removed to rehost
    friends i stayed with in tokyo...can't beat mickee-d's

edit* removed to rehost
    tekkaman blade...favorite anime; check it out sometime

"postcard" i made for my students

graduation pic for my 5/6 year-old girl students...one of my most recent drawings

grad pic for the boys

http://ib1.campusnetwork.com/lun1/ex...454f8ec2d3.jpg
    quick marker sketch for some of my students...seeing a pattern yet?

all for now, tune in next time. as always, sayoonara...

Last edited by purb36; September 26th, 2005 at 10:37 AM. Reason: pics removed to rehost
    -A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    went to the city today, bought some more Rapidoliner pens...good stuff. more updates...random sketches. enjoy!

thats all for now folks! catch you on the flip side.

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some older stuff, life drawing (last september, october, november...around then). they have a lot of problems, i know, and they also mostly have no faces. i used to not draw them cause i wasnt good at making them look like the person, but i feel like im at a point now where i can do that more consistently. anyway, heres the stuff. thx for stopping by.

ps. really sorry about the quality...im gonna try to get into the office this weekend and scan all my stuff. its really hard to find time cause i have to take my computer there in order to scan it all on here. oh well, such is life...

my boss

my boss's boss

the teachers who came before me

http://ib1.campusnetwork.com/lun1/ex...03410262aa.jpg
    daughter of a friend of a friend...she was pregnant at the time

http://ib1.campusnetwork.com/lun1/ex...578d4d80f9.jpg
    one of the chinese nurses who works in my town, on the phone, as always.

http://ib1.campusnetwork.com/lun1/ex...be2fd498fb.jpg
    student 1 of 5

http://ib1.campusnetwork.com/lun1/ex...01fbe3ea7f.jpg
    2/5

http://ib1.campusnetwork.com/lun1/ex...15b2126274.jpg
    3/5

http://ib1.campusnetwork.com/lun1/ex...99b8c23192.jpg
    4/5

http://ib1.campusnetwork.com/lun1/ex...1120255ea7.jpg
    5/5

Last edited by purb36; May 5th, 2005 at 12:23 PM. Reason: pics a li'l big
    -A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Los Angeles, CA USA (Land of the Lotus-Eaters)
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Stuff

You know, I have some intuitive feeling that you would make a great animator. Having looked through those sketches, I know you have the 'it' on an animator.
    I'm still always impressed by your hand drawings.
    But with a lil bit of practice, I'm sure you can best Akira and actually have a plot that makes sense.

air hurts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenmurok
    You know, I have some intuitive feeling that you would make a great animator. Having looked through those sketches, I know you have the 'it' on an animator.
    I'm still always impressed by your hand drawings.
    But with a lil bit of practice, I'm sure you can best Akira and actually have a plot that makes sense.

I agree with that, you work has a very animated/dynamic feel.. your improvement since you started this book is pretty dramatic!

xen, try the akira BOOKS, the story makes more sense, isn't abridged, and is VERY slick.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so, im gonna try to post every few days so that the updates increase, cause its been waaaaay too long between updates lately.

fellah - glad you dig, man. the digipainting is gonna take a while, i can see. ill put up 'in progress' shots. oh, and some more armz, some just for you.

tokidoki - theres a reason theyre all bald...theyre in a cult!!! just playin, but there's a reason; don't want to spoil the surprise, so you can watch as the pic develops.

heri - thx for stoppin by dude; yours aint so bad, either! 8)

apollo - wow dude, i know its a long way from Mount Olympus. are your arms tired? seriously, thx for comin. yep, i need to do a lot more studies. i actually started up doing bridgman stuff (theres some in this post), and yes i am in big need of depth. at this point, i think ive been always trying to use the simple shapes to define depth and perspective, i do need to start working rendering a lot more soon; ive been too lazy to ever really work on it much, and also cause i never really "got it", you know? but i really like the latest SP that i did with full rendering so theres hope...maybe ill do some stuff saturday.

xen - stac, thx. it really means a lot to me for you to say that. now i just gotta keep pushing and getting better everyday.

bsjoe - yo joe, thx for stoppin by. i think i might like to be an illustrator, or even specifically work on childrens' books. as for dynamics, thats mostly the comics influence. would be very hard to break, but then again i dont want to. i definitely feel like ive improved since i first posted. and to think, i was really hesitant to post any of my stuff at first. i think it goes to show what a really awesome community this is; yall made me feel at home. thank you CA.

without further ado...

he has no pants...i know...patience...

Last edited by purb36; June 23rd, 2005 at 11:55 AM. Reason: 200!!!
    -A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good man. Pants and maybe feet?
    Looking forward to seeing it finished, i got plenty of patience so worries. So far i get it to be 24 arms or so

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    feh! who needs pants! he's a nekkid viking!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yodaaaaaaaaah - w'saaaaaaaaaaabi. thx for stopping by. glad you like the sumo guy, and yep, its just a regular ballpoint pen. its nice cause it doesnt smear, and i just really dig the green; its the hottness! 8)

bsjoe - thx dude! the torso is from a figure drawing thread at the CG forums; the pic had really nice lighting, so i decided to try it for shading practice. sumo guy...was watching it on tv and just felt like doing one, then felt like trying out some lighting and shading and thats all she wrote. yeah, the vertical lines are already giving me problems, but im getting better at them...soon i will be working my way down from 4 colums to 3 to 2 to 1 (then 0, haha ) with slightly different goals at each step. the other challenge is just making sure i do it everyday, so im working at it. thx for the tip bro; knowing is half the battle.

rollb - thx for stopping by, and thx dude! i really am suprised at how much i have improved over these past 9 months; if i had never found CA and started posting, i cant imagine how much worse off artistically i would be today. lots of hard work, lots of inspiration from the other people at CA...its a really great community im glad to be a part of. haha, i think one of my problems is that my colors i usually paint with are too saturated, so lately ive been trying to pick colors closer to realistic values cause everything ends up looking cartoony, which is not bad in itself but its nice to be able to do multiple things with color. hasnt been much lately with color but hopefully ill take the time to do more soon. keep on keepin on, and good luck with your own stuff bro; peace.

photoshops actin up, so i couldnt scan anything in (or, show what i scanned in) until tomorrow. digital warmup today, worked on my kids book a little, need to jump on that more; would be awesome if i could finish it by next thursday...we shall see, we shall...

gauntlet...such a classic.

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    been a kinda crazy week...had only 3 days of work cause monday and friday were national holidays (gotta love that Nihon!), but i had stuff every night and was just too tired to scan and post all my stuff. sunday was sports festival, which i HAD to go to, but since i did i got today off so i just chilled and drew and studied and whatnot; good stuff. heres the product of a busy week.

oh, and im lovin bridgman's The Human Machine. its very cerebral and like, a real study study book, but im understanding how things work more now than i did before...muscles functions are making sense, and i think ill be more aware when im drawing characters and stuff. thanks george!

horrible pic, but it is what it is.

much better...for my sister's birthday. click here for full size image.

catch you on the flipside.
    who you gonna call?

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what up, yall? doin well, but just madd tired lately so ill keep this brief. here's a sketch of/for a friend that i colored in for her. talk more soon yall (and no, i havent forgotten line prax, im actually getting better, but photoshop is having problems so i can't take it to the final step in fully scanning something in); stay fly.

a manana.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by purb36; August 14th, 2006 at 03:56 AM.
    -A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the foreshortening you do with your scetch-figures It's nice to see you improving!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    faust - thx for stoppin by and showin some luv. i havent been around here in a while cause lifes been busy and ive been sick lately, but im still drawin and practicing and whatnot, so hopefully ill get enough energy to continue posting like i used to. g'luck with your drawing dude; take care.

going for a moped exam soon; found the one i want, so now i must study japanese hard to understand enough to pass it. study makes me

portrait of my surrogate japanese mama
    click here

it was love at first sight...only 50 cc's

thats all folks!

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey yall, sorry i havent been around much lately. life is just getting busier and busier, and its invading into my sleep which means its invading into my health. i feel good now though, so we will see how long this lasts. rain, cooler weather lately...not always good. went to some local festivals over the weekend, did some drawings...had driving school this morning, and im dead tired from that, but i passed the course so i can try for my license when i can get a chance to. and the best part about that, i can only take the test on a weekday morning...thats great cause i can really just skip out of work to go take a driving test that my bosses would probably freak out over. hopefully they wont, and ill be able to learn enough japanese to pass. then, its cleeeeeear steering from there...can't wait!

some stuff

and the beauty...gotta make her mine

done line practice, but too tired to scan it all in right now...its about 10 pages since last scan, maybe more. peace gals and gents.

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excelllent line studys and and circle studys! Those really do pay off~! What a nice bike, dont go all crazy with it and get your self killed "sound liek an old mother" The new hand studys are really nice. LEts see some more.... Good work man! Keep this sketch book happening...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey mate, havent seen you here in a while, good to see you back, good luck with the driving test when you take it

nice update, some of these sketches are real nice, and the hand studys are good, some little problems with one or two of them but overall theyre looking ace

keep it up mate

and thats a nice bike!

-shin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good dude, 3rd page is my favorite. Maybe you should try and color the top right face?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    seth1 - thx for droppin by dude! still workin the line practice, and yeah, it actually IS paying off. i like to draw hands, so yep, there will always be more hands. take care dude, and i will see you round the boards.

shin - yeah, hopefully i can take the test soon...i sooooo want to ride the motorcycle. yeah, some of the hands are pretty , but thats why theyre studies, right? theyll be more, and better too. and i like the bike to; she's purty.

apathy - doumo...douzo.

a portrait, some colors, and some digital inking practice in photoshop (found the pic on some comic forum, forgot who's the artist). for some reason, i like photoshop more than painter for doing digital inks, it just seems to be better for me. or maybe im using the wrong settings for my brushes in painter...

original pencils here

ill see you on the git' down.

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    =
    me sleep now.

happy birthday dad!

ah, ah.

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa man I love that black and white Batman one. That would look wicked vectorized or a little cleaner. Good job on the last portrait too, ya gonna give him the original? The forehead looks like he has a bump or something protruding, that triangle and above it... Not sure if that was intended or not... Anyway keep it up, and I'll shut up now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hadn't checked your sketchbook for quite a while and your definitely making real improvements. It's good to see you trying your hand at portraits. I'd recommend using a sharper brush at higher opacity/flow and try blocking in areas of colour. Really eyeball the colours too. I make a lot of assumptions about colours and get it completely wrong...

Anyway, keep up the variety, keep up the studies, keep going!

Ta, Nick.

The scrawny white sketchbook ring
    OISHIINIKU CAKEYPIGDOG MYA RES D-BAKER ASHAB
    DAVISON

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    runtosaurus - hey dude, good to see you (in a virtual sense, of course)! thx dude. the batman one was a fun experience, but looking at it afterwards i don't really like it that much. :p yeah, it would look a lot cleaner vectorized and/or cleaned up a bit. mostly just experimenting; ill put more work into my next one. for my dad, it was originally intended to be just s small sketch, and well, it is, only like, 2 inches tops. ill be doing another portrait of him at some point, but i'd never drawn him before (except as a little kid, you know, but that doesnt count) and i thought it turned out kinda nice. i like the red hue and the texture of the paper; printed as a photo, i think it looks nice. i actually did intend to erase most of that triangular bump, but i had put the sketch layer on 'mask' and couldnt erase it. oh well; i think it came out nice overall...it looks like him (and he liked it ). thats the first step. come back soon, ya hear?

niku - thx for coming back around, and thx. i did this one on low opacity airbrush cause it was originally meant to be just a quick thing and i wanted to just give some quick form and volume to the pencils. but i do need to work on speedpainting, and definitely eyeballing color; im very weak at color. been doing a lot of portraits latley, trying to really understand facial features as well as work on my life drawing/portrait skills. still at the grind; ill see you around man. (and dude, your stuffs been on fiya lately...i know i said it already, but i just had to say it again.)

portraits (in progress, A3) and a sketchpage. still doing the lines, but im too to scan them in. motorcycle test (hopefully) on this coming thursday. schway.

keep it on the uplow.

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fat kid - thx dude. ive been working really hard at drawing stuff lately, starting to really pay attention to the little things more. the portraits are really showing my progress; theyve come a long way from when i first started them, which is nice to be able to notice. im only able to work on them 3 days in a month (cause im only at that school for 3 days a month) so im glad theyre coming along and theyre getting better. anyway, thx man, more will be coming soon.

been really busy lately, studying for the moped test with almost every free moment, so theres been little time for pleasure drawing. but when i pass that test therll be! um...therll be time to study for the japanese test in december. oh well. recently doing lots of drawings for my kids...did 2 large poster-type things for the library, and making bunches of cards to use in class. today's poster-type thing took 6 hours total! undersketch: 1 hr; painting: 5 hours! never knew painting could be so rough (i like, never paint except for with the wacom...too messy otherwise ). well, its hanging up in the library now, so stop by and check it out if you get a chance.

haha...riiiiiiiiight...

i did the undersketch for both; one a librarian painted for me, one i painted with another librarian. both in watercolor.

heres the originals (sorry the quality is kinda crappy; digicam)

the process, finished pieces

[to be continued...too many pics]

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    details
    lower left

upper left

upper right

lower right

i like, never paint, so i really like how the fur came out. the whole piece, actually. we surprised me. really.

and heres some delicious pizza...medium: sauce, cheeze, ham, pepperoni, onions, corn, potato, all on a dough canvas. about 30 minutes.

(WIP shots)

get yo chow on! (not to be confused with CHOW on!)

Last edited by purb36; November 5th, 2005 at 11:33 AM.
    -A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heh that's pretty cool!
    from the portrait's, I like your dad's one the most.

this one is pretty neat also!
    http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/3...tch4ink0fn.jpg

keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those are some strange lookin pizzas.

as for the art; the squirrel panels came out nice, those are some good underdrawings beneath them... next time i'd say you should do a quick once or twice over with some color gradiants and background colors before you start on the foreground subjects.. that'll help just to give the picture some underlying build/depth...right now the white peeking through is a bit ackward.

great stuff though, good luck with the test and get to drawing!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice man, that batman is sweet! Your definetly learning on your portraits as well; squirrels came out cute too.

にほん で は ピザ を かう の が たかい です ね。

Keep it up dude!

Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 126