Sketchbook: It came from Japan...Back and back to basics! (4.14.14) - Page 6
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: It came from Japan...Back and back to basics! (4.14.14)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey mate, havent seen you here in a while, good to see you back, good luck with the driving test when you take it

nice update, some of these sketches are real nice, and the hand studys are good, some little problems with one or two of them but overall theyre looking ace

keep it up mate

and thats a nice bike!

-shin

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good dude, 3rd page is my favorite. Maybe you should try and color the top right face?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    seth1 - thx for droppin by dude! still workin the line practice, and yeah, it actually IS paying off. i like to draw hands, so yep, there will always be more hands. take care dude, and i will see you round the boards.

shin - yeah, hopefully i can take the test soon...i sooooo want to ride the motorcycle. yeah, some of the hands are pretty , but thats why theyre studies, right? theyll be more, and better too. and i like the bike to; she's purty.

apathy - doumo...douzo.

a portrait, some colors, and some digital inking practice in photoshop (found the pic on some comic forum, forgot who's the artist). for some reason, i like photoshop more than painter for doing digital inks, it just seems to be better for me. or maybe im using the wrong settings for my brushes in painter...

original pencils here

ill see you on the git' down.

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    =
    me sleep now.

happy birthday dad!

ah, ah.

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa man I love that black and white Batman one. That would look wicked vectorized or a little cleaner. Good job on the last portrait too, ya gonna give him the original? The forehead looks like he has a bump or something protruding, that triangle and above it... Not sure if that was intended or not... Anyway keep it up, and I'll shut up now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hadn't checked your sketchbook for quite a while and your definitely making real improvements. It's good to see you trying your hand at portraits. I'd recommend using a sharper brush at higher opacity/flow and try blocking in areas of colour. Really eyeball the colours too. I make a lot of assumptions about colours and get it completely wrong...

Anyway, keep up the variety, keep up the studies, keep going!

Ta, Nick.

The scrawny white sketchbook ring
    OISHIINIKU CAKEYPIGDOG MYA RES D-BAKER ASHAB
    DAVISON

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    runtosaurus - hey dude, good to see you (in a virtual sense, of course)! thx dude. the batman one was a fun experience, but looking at it afterwards i don't really like it that much. :p yeah, it would look a lot cleaner vectorized and/or cleaned up a bit. mostly just experimenting; ill put more work into my next one. for my dad, it was originally intended to be just s small sketch, and well, it is, only like, 2 inches tops. ill be doing another portrait of him at some point, but i'd never drawn him before (except as a little kid, you know, but that doesnt count) and i thought it turned out kinda nice. i like the red hue and the texture of the paper; printed as a photo, i think it looks nice. i actually did intend to erase most of that triangular bump, but i had put the sketch layer on 'mask' and couldnt erase it. oh well; i think it came out nice overall...it looks like him (and he liked it ). thats the first step. come back soon, ya hear?

niku - thx for coming back around, and thx. i did this one on low opacity airbrush cause it was originally meant to be just a quick thing and i wanted to just give some quick form and volume to the pencils. but i do need to work on speedpainting, and definitely eyeballing color; im very weak at color. been doing a lot of portraits latley, trying to really understand facial features as well as work on my life drawing/portrait skills. still at the grind; ill see you around man. (and dude, your stuffs been on fiya lately...i know i said it already, but i just had to say it again.)

portraits (in progress, A3) and a sketchpage. still doing the lines, but im too to scan them in. motorcycle test (hopefully) on this coming thursday. schway.

keep it on the uplow.

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fat kid - thx dude. ive been working really hard at drawing stuff lately, starting to really pay attention to the little things more. the portraits are really showing my progress; theyve come a long way from when i first started them, which is nice to be able to notice. im only able to work on them 3 days in a month (cause im only at that school for 3 days a month) so im glad theyre coming along and theyre getting better. anyway, thx man, more will be coming soon.

been really busy lately, studying for the moped test with almost every free moment, so theres been little time for pleasure drawing. but when i pass that test therll be! um...therll be time to study for the japanese test in december. oh well. recently doing lots of drawings for my kids...did 2 large poster-type things for the library, and making bunches of cards to use in class. today's poster-type thing took 6 hours total! undersketch: 1 hr; painting: 5 hours! never knew painting could be so rough (i like, never paint except for with the wacom...too messy otherwise ). well, its hanging up in the library now, so stop by and check it out if you get a chance.

haha...riiiiiiiiight...

i did the undersketch for both; one a librarian painted for me, one i painted with another librarian. both in watercolor.

heres the originals (sorry the quality is kinda crappy; digicam)

the process, finished pieces

[to be continued...too many pics]

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heh that's pretty cool!
    from the portrait's, I like your dad's one the most.

this one is pretty neat also!
    http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/3...tch4ink0fn.jpg

keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    details
    lower left

upper left

upper right

lower right

i like, never paint, so i really like how the fur came out. the whole piece, actually. we surprised me. really.

and heres some delicious pizza...medium: sauce, cheeze, ham, pepperoni, onions, corn, potato, all on a dough canvas. about 30 minutes.

(WIP shots)

get yo chow on! (not to be confused with CHOW on!)

Last edited by purb36; November 5th, 2005 at 11:33 AM.
    -A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those are some strange lookin pizzas.

as for the art; the squirrel panels came out nice, those are some good underdrawings beneath them... next time i'd say you should do a quick once or twice over with some color gradiants and background colors before you start on the foreground subjects.. that'll help just to give the picture some underlying build/depth...right now the white peeking through is a bit ackward.

great stuff though, good luck with the test and get to drawing!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice man, that batman is sweet! Your definetly learning on your portraits as well; squirrels came out cute too.

にほん で は ピザ を かう の が たかい です ね。

Keep it up dude!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi mate, those squirrels look good, a little bit flat in places, the under drawing of them look real nice, keep it up, anymore pen / pencil

-shin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thx for stopping by, everypeoples!

cyanid - thx dude, i like my dad's the most too. my sis's eyes are a little too far apart, methinks. but therll be more portraits in the future. cheers dude.

bsj - how was the date man? japanese pizza...its definitely not italian, ill say that. the squirrels...ah, the squirrels. ill say its been about 6 or 7 years since ive painted with watercolors, and i wasnt good to begin with, so im using that as an excuse for the flatness and the bad backgrounding and whatnot. i really need to learn how to use color (but before that i need to learn value and light stuff. well, it was fun...maybe ill do more traditional painting sometime...studying...only need to eliminate 5 more mistakes per test and im on my way!!!! 8)

kid - and man, were they tasty! um...i mean the pizzas, not the kids. yeah, thats what i meant. i only work on those portraits for those 3 days out of the month, and it would be kinda hard to draw the kids without seeing them, so itll go slow; thats for a graduation present (for April) so i just need to have them finished by then. im almost done with the structure...after which, value and rendering. but besides that im still drawing, though mostly stuff for teaching. which youll see here. take care dude.

apathy - thx dude. batman was fun to do, though looking back on it, i need to work a lot cleaner next time. well, thats for next time. portraits are really fun, and theyre a real test to see how my skill level is, which is always a good thing. hpefully they will end well. so...nihon de, pizza wa totemo takai shi, maamaa oishii dake desukara, jibun de tsukutta hou ga ii. hontou ni oishikatta yo! mata gambaru yo; omae mo gambatte ne!

shin - thx dude. flat squirrels = roadkill. still living, so very strange. pen and pencil to come when i feel awake enough to scan it in.

some stuff ive been working on lately; mostly work stuff (teaching animals this month), and some specially for oishiiniku.

(to be continued)

Last edited by purb36; November 9th, 2005 at 03:01 PM.
    -A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

potato art

"holdin down the fort since '54..."

Last edited by purb36; November 9th, 2005 at 02:57 PM.
    -A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, awesome sketches you got here,
    great hand study!

I really like the way you did Batman!!

keep it up!

thanks for wishing me happybirthday!!!

-----------------------------------------------
    JEIK'S PORTFOLIO
    http://jeik.levinux.org/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that potato art is the bomb.

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jeik - mais non, ton batman est plus bon de mon. vraiment. je suis seulement un amateur...but i will get better.

tensai - arigatou. ima tokyo wa dou? thx for stopping by my page dude. potato art was made during school yesterday for some of my students...we were play cooking and i usually dont like to do that stuff and dont know what to make, so i just started creating. who knows, this could turn into a viable new medium...riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

more pencilstuff for shinryu; sketches and entry for the CHOW 3

bigger (1200x1175)

CHOW 3

bigger (1200x1175)

hey now, hey now!

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You did a shokupanman potato shape! That's awesome!
    Keep going with the life studies. And don't forget to try and redraw your life drawings from memory to see if things have really sunk in.

Ta, Nick.

The scrawny white sketchbook ring
    OISHIINIKU CAKEYPIGDOG MYA RES D-BAKER ASHAB
    DAVISON

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey purb, you're art is and has been improving really well. The thing that stood out to me the most was the drawings in biro. I really don't like biros, but now that I've looked at them again, I really like them! Drawing with a pen is a really good way to improve! But dude, I think another type pen would work a lot better! You live in japan man! Get like a brush pen or something! That'd be reeeally nice. And as for the rendering, go nice and easy and just find the forms really well. Like the CHOW entry!

Hope you can appreciate a critique from someone as young as me...

keep at it.

blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude thanks , nice chow entry, nice expression, the head at the bottom right of the first page has a somthing really good about it, think its the style of it

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi man how are you?!
    Great stuff! Drawing lines... thats master-like practise!
    The squirrels are great nice stuff for the young and me.
    So I'm sorry... I feel I have been missing out here, a lot!
    Cheers!

Björn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    o'niku - would you believe it if i said those werent life drawings? can you tell which ones are and which ones arent? things that make you go "hmm"...

blog - yo man, good to see y'again. i had to look up biro, hehe. it depends on the feel dude; sometimes the ink doesnt come out well, the pen just doesnt feel right...i bought a bunch of pens and eventually settled on one i liked. and for some reason, i really like the green ink, dunno why. i do do some drawings in brushpen, and ive been doing more lately, but yeah, i should work more with brushpen. im trying to get control with that. rendering, yeah im working on that too. its a long haul, but im getting there. your stuff's getting better too; keep it up dude. take care.

shin - thx dude. though im sure i didnt get any votes for chow, im happy with the way it came out. probably couldve worked more on it though. anyway, i liked the expression too, trying to work on making my people have more character and expressions; deadpan's no fun. i like that face for some reason too; initial ideas for chow 2 that never developed (more like i was studying for the motorcycle test all the time...). take care.

b - cute little squirrels! plotting to take over the world! bears are pretty sweet too dude; keep it up. thx for coming by; you're always welcome.

so...i PASSED THE MOTORCYCLE TEST! WOOHOOOOOO! now i can get back to real life...of studying for the japanese language test. and applying to art school. and for a cultural exchange scholarship program. ah, such is life.

gotten more into rendering lately; if you have tips on how i can improve, by all means, let me know.
    old sketchbook pages, recently completed; pics from my Japanese/English Illustrated Dictionary blog, The Jisyou. check it out.

highway to the danger zone; climb aboard. 8)

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the guy with the pig nose is a really nice sketch, there's some real life floating in there... I would say to try to maintain that vitality in your stuff, it's looking pretty good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, the Jisyou is awesome. Informative and shows off some humor. Kudos.

Anyways, your determination is inspirational. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cotron - good to see you 'round again; thx for stoppin by. pig is from a memory of a moment, and isnt a specific modeled shot, but its technically from life. and yeah, there are life ones floating here and there, but mostly imagination. the trick is getting them all to have a similar vitality and character so that its indistinguishable which ones are life and which ones are brain farts. anyway, see you round these parts.

apathy - yoku mi ni kuru to, arigatou, ne! i hope i can keep updating The Jisyou on a somewhat regular basis; i wanted it to be something different than the standard blog, cause like, its not like i have anything to say about the world, and even if i did, its not like i know much about it, plus its a good way to practice my illustration skills as well as communicating my japan experience in some way. anyway, thx for stopping by there...you're probably the 2nd person (outside of family) to see it so cheers to that. as for "inspirational", well...i hope it makes someone want to draw, but i never thought about it like that. thx dude; you would give me the warm fuzzies if i wasnt freezing my butt off right now.

only one more week till i get the motorbike! so much to do, so much time to wait...some recent sketches; enjoy. (page 2 is mostly studies for a portrait ambush that a friend had me do at a party, 3 is of some friends i had dinner with tonight)

cheers.

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

asoir is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent update, great to see you still working at it, unlike me, I haven't scanned in too long

Anywho, nice seeing your stuff again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    asoir - thx for stopping by dude. have you updated yet?

been busy being sick and making music with my boy this week/weekend, so only a short update tonight; colored version of the couple. yeah, it aint much at all but i havent finished a sketchbook page yet. got a couple pose books over the weekend so ill have some hands and stuff up for yall next time. until then, this is what you get from me.

motorcycle tomorrow!!!!! WOOHOO!!

Last edited by purb36; November 27th, 2005 at 11:30 AM.
    -A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so...i got the motorcycle yesterday!!! its been a blast so far; im trying to ride a little bit every day so i can get used to it. consequently, between riding and my normal weekly schedule, im barely home at all, which is not conducive to browsing the .org, so sorry if i havent been by more sketchbooks lately.anyway, one age of random sketches and one anatomy study page based on bridgman. i recommend bridgman's "the human machine" to anyone interested in a serious, in-depth study of anatomy. its very heady, so bring your thinking caps.

and, ahhhhhh, my baby

beauty is a beast, my friends.

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    small update: quick self-portrait i did as a going-away present for my one of my teachers who's leaving...for some reason she wanted myyyyy face. well, i aim to please.

peace.

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 126