Sketchbook: It came from Japan...Back and back to basics! (4.14.14) - Page 37
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1140

Thread: It came from Japan...Back and back to basics! (4.14.14)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Purb,

Been a little while since I stopped by your SB! Nice improvements. I'm really diggin the paintings. Keep that up. Those are digital though, right? Do you ever work with real paints? I want to do more of that. I think it will help my digital stuff eventually look more realistic. You're doing great though man. I'll see you around.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    masa - thx, man! i'm definitely having lots of fun with the paintings, so i'll be doing more of those. yep, these are digital...i do work with real paints, but i kinda suck...and yep, it will definitely help out your digital, teaching you general skills and little things. g'luck, dude, and thanks as always for the visit.

level up! i think this is my best painting, ever! ~2hr, portrait session.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    -A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kinda liked it how it was, but my girlfriend suggested i fix it up a bit. small changes, but i'm happy with it.

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy frickig cow batman! Yes, this indeed your best painting ever Great step up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man sorry for being a vagina in responding to things. I have basically been in hibernation doing things here and there but dont you worry i have been keeping an eye on your stuff like usual. Without a doubt that last painting has struck gold for you. Now, as usual from me, I crave for moreeeeeee!!!

-TeT-

Keep your dream alive - Feed it daily!

"The true essence of swordsmanship is like the willow blowing in the gentle breeze" - Tesshu (someday my art will be like this)

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maaannn, that cowboy painting is something sweeet. The drawing studies are lookin' good, too. I can see a line variation being beneficial to those though. Maybe as just something to try. Keep it coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry for the lack of updates, life's been pretty busy. i recently got engaged! my girlfriend is here for the month, so i've been pretty busy planning the wedding, etc. i'll be back after June ends, will respond and continue posting then. thanks for the visits, hope everybody is doing well.

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, congratulations!! Life gets in the way sometimes man, so don't worry about it. I just got accepted to grad school, so I too will be really busy here pretty soon. Glad to see your doing well though. Hope you put up some new stuff when you get the time. Take it easy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    (replies to come)

back.

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happy New Year!!!!

replies all around.

velocity - hey dude, THX for stopping by! it's been a long time, but i just wanted to say i really appreciate the visit, and the love. i really liked that picture too, and i feel like if i worked on it more i might mess it up. but that's the great thing about digital. maybe i'll just take it to/past the breaking point. we'll see. anyway, thx and i will continue to see all the great stuff you're doing.

faust - thx, man. happy new year, and i hope you're doing well!!! where are you these days?

drew - haha, thx for the praise, man. now that you said that, i've probably been away so long that i've lost most of the progress that i gained. environments when sketching...point taken. additionally, i could probably stand to work more on composition, i think combining the two would help a lot. in general, i realize there's a lot about the fundamentals that i don't know, and i really need to work on those. also, pushing myself to work on the stuff that i don't find naturally fun. ugh, environments. gotta find ways to get it done though. thx for the kick in the pants, dude. hope all is well with you. i haven't been on in ages, but i'm excited to see what's up with you these days. peace man, and happy new year!

tet - you ask for more, and i get engaged. life's been like that though man. been drawing sporadically, but not posting. well, here's more! happy new year to you, and i hope life is treating you and the fam well.

lemming - happy new year and thx for the visit and thx for the crit! yah, dude, line weight is another thing i need to add to the work on list. trying new things these days, so that may be a near future venture. again, thanks, and take care!

masa - happy new year, dude!!! how's grad school treating you these days? and life? only 6.5 months left until i get married!! crAzY excited man. anyway, i'll be posting, there's a lot to cover. take care, friend.

wow, TONS of time has passed, but that happens sometimes. anyway, i'm back and will be posting some new (to y'all, at least) things that have been keeping me busy. most recently, i completed a challenge that i can't tell y'all about. because it's a birthday present and it's on the way, and i can't let that information fall into the wrong hands. i can say that it involves real paint. WOOT!!!! it was challenging, but i learned a lot. i'm mostly happy with it, but i know i still have a TON to learn. anyway, i can show some other stuff, and the project will be posted when it's been "released". thx for the visit, and i hope that each of you has a great beginning to 2012.

portraits, paint sketches, masterstudies, still lifes, gouache, oh my!

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    moar!

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff man. I really enjoy your sketches, and the paintings are coming along nicely too. I see some of the Christian influence, and I am wondering how you feel that plays out for you? I was discussing with one of my artist buddies the other day about this same thing, how we tend to avoid expression and message in our work even though we have strong convictions. Just wondering what your take is on this. very nice stuff, keep chug'n!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Purb, thanks for stopping by my SB, and the words of encouragement. Nothing I can really say, you are doing it right, so keep it up!

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude! DUUUUUUDDDDEEE! Learning you are, yes! Yes! Colors you have! VERY NICCEEE! Sorry little Yoda kick there hehe. But yeah anyways sometimes you take more time between pieces and yet you gain more from it. Keeps things fresh. Keep it up man! I will get there eventually too ehehe

Keep your dream alive - Feed it daily!

"The true essence of swordsmanship is like the willow blowing in the gentle breeze" - Tesshu (someday my art will be like this)

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    !!

eric - thx for the visit dude, and the good question. to me, my sketchbook is a place to learn and grow as an artist. so i try to be honest with it, and not just have my best works, but put up my studies, my final pieces, illustrations...pretty much everything that i draw, cause i feel that's the best way i can learn. so regardless of the subject matter, it's pretty much going up here.

my dad does sermons at his church, and occasionally he'll ask me to do some one-off illustrations for him. so i do; i like to help him out, and it's good practice. as far as being a Christian goes, it's the biggest part of who i am. it's as much a part of me as my love for Sargent, Japan, and figurative drawing, and my recent fascination with dubstep (ftw!)...it's not really a separate thing, but more of an undercurrent of everything i do. so it's not like my subject matter will be exclusively things that are traditionally "Christian", or "religious", cause it's bigger than that. i am who i am, and i draw the things that interest me. i don't really think too much about it other than that.

what's more important to me is who i am here, how i act on the forum. do i encourage people? do i try to help them out? am i a troll? am i here just so people can give me an ego boost? or can i learn?

the way i see it, i'm just a guy here, doin some art, making some friends, and maybe a buck or two (hundred ) along the way, and trying to show some luv while i'm at it.

hope that answers your question. i'll see you in your thread again, man, keep up the good work!

diarum - thanks dude. will keep on with the keep on!

tet - KAANEEDAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! thankful i am; glad i am to see you. aaaaaight man, new stuff are you ready for it?

just wanted to say thanks to everyone who's visited this page, and who will in the future. i never would've learned so much about art if it weren't for the .Org. thank y'all for all your crits, your input, your encouragement, EVERYTHING! i love you, maaaan!

so, for your enjoyment, my project: a hand-made (except for the paper) calendar for my fiancee. she likes squirrels. she finally got it, i can finally show it. gouache. good stuff.

the unveiling.

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some quick studies, about 15 min (?) each: working on creating form. the sargent ones were done mostly smaller than posted here, trying to work on creating form quickly without going into too much detail.

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your life sketches are dope, it's so hard to catch people moving but you're doing a good job!

ShootTheWorks
    lens flare renaissance

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    koto - thx man. i credit lots of bridgman; he's the best! i will try to post more soon.

some form demos for MeteorCat. will post more personal stuff soon. thx for the visit, and Xin Nian Kuai Le!!

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    long time no update.

live has been really busy, but good. working on various projects (portrait, book, and poster illustration), as well as planning for the wedding and working and playing in my band. so, very busy, but doing good. i hope to update again soon. thanks for the visit.

Last edited by purb36; February 23rd, 2012 at 08:01 PM.
    -A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more drawings from life.

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loovely marker sketch there at the latest post, especially the last one. Good energy

I'm making mess here: Sketchbook .
    also on dA and blogspot

Cool people:
    Rotor | Kristoff | Kingkostas | Angel Intheuk | bbwolf

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wit - thanks man. it was a good concert, and was good to just get out there and draw. hope you're doing well; i'll see you on your thread.

so, i've been in hiding for the past month, as i took some time to visit my fiancee (sah-weeeeeeeeeet!!!) and i've also been illustrating a kids' book for charity. thirty pairs of amateur authors and illustrators got together to create original books for specific orphans in Ethiopia. we had less than a month, and we're finally done! YAAAAY!!! i'm not com-PLETELY happy with how i finished up everything, but it's done, i'm glad to have some finished work. i also worked in gouache, as i've been pushing myself to do more traditional paintings. it's fun, i'm learning a lot, and i'm learning to get a little messy. but only a little bit.

baby steps.

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty cool! I'm, sure the the ethiopians will enjoy this

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Axel - thanks! i hope they will as well. it should be printed in a month, and sent sometime over the summer. can't wait to get my own copy... thx for the visit and i'll see you in your thread...you have a thread, right?

so, sooooooo much has happened in life over the past month; busy busy. working on stuff for church, and personal projects, and the book, and my fiancee coming over (she fiiiiiiiiiinally got the final approval for the visa and we found a place to live!!), and taxes and car troubles and life...it's pretty crazy, but life is great and i'm glad to live it.

here's some quick form studies, i'll update sketches and things later.

note to illustrators: when you're illustrating a book, DO read the book itself. you'll save yourself a lot of last minute changes and potential embarrassment in the long run.

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

26. The Following User Says Thank You to purb36 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love this work mate! I am happy that you wrote on my sketchbook - hope to find more about the Boston Sketchgroup man, got excited!

- Spit

Striving to be the best that is possible before I conk into the grave.

My Sketchbook! Critique EVERYTHING!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    boi7 - thx for the visit, and glad you like, dude. looking forward to introducing you to the group. they're great dudes.

soooooooo...i've been silent for a while, been craaazy busy in the meantime. but we all are, right? not sure if i mentioned it before, but i've been practicing to do portraits for a Japanese festival, the "Haru Matsuri" (translated "Spring Festival") that my city was holding this past sunday. my church had a booth for the day, so i've been helping out with that. i helped jazz up the brochure a bit, i redid the logo for some pens that they got made, and i did portraits for charity. it's kinda been a goal of mine to get good enough, and fast enough, at doing portraits to be able to do them on the street. when i was living in Tokyo, i attempted this several times, but was mostly unsuccessful, largely because i just wasn't good at capturing the likeness, and the amount of time that it took to even get what i could was like, 10, 20 minutes? people on the street don't have that kind of time. so i've been practicing for the past few weeks to try to ramp up my skills and lower my time. one thing that really helped, since i don't have a repository of lots of different types of faces, was to do a google search for "faces", or different terms like that, print the results into a pdf, and do loads of them on a 5-minute time limit. i started with just a regular pen (biro), and then moved onto the less forgiving gel-ink pen. i felt like i got better as the weeks went on.

the event was yesterday, and i helped raise $250 for the charity, which was pretty cool. i was drawing pretty much non-stop from 11:20-4pm. apparently there were close to 10,000 people at the festival. i dunno, i just saw a wall of people by our booth, and i couldn't see past it. it started out slow for me, but it ramped up reeeeal quickly after i did a few portraits. at one point, we had a wait list for portraits like, 12 tickets deep. it was soooooo fun, but sooooooo tiring! i'm still beat, lol. it started out really well, and then after a while people started getting the idea to double-up on a portrait (having multiple people in the same portrait). i was like, soooooooo frustrated. it's soooooooo much pressure for me, cause like, when you do one portrait, that's hard enough. but doing 2 on one page, you can do a perfect portrait for the first one, but if the second person isn't spot on, the whole thing is just ruined. hate it. but, what can you do? so, i tried, and it was fun. i hope to get to do it more, maybe bring in some extra cash as well.

anyway, that's enough from me. here's the practice pages from the past weeks. i didn't get any pics from the actual event, but maybe i'll find some floating around somewhere. i would LOVE to be able to post some of them if i could, it was just too chaotic yesterday to do anything like that.

cheers!

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    new post, portrait, ~1hr.

going to print this out and try to paint it so i don't mess up the original.

Last edited by purb36; May 12th, 2012 at 04:39 PM.
    -A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    baby steps

happy belated Mothers' Day!

Last edited by purb36; May 14th, 2012 at 12:55 AM.
    -A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Purb! Been a long time... Sketch book is looking great! Hope you're doing great too! Take care...

Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 126