Sketchbook: It came from Japan...Back and back to basics! (4.14.14) - Page 33
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast

Thread: It came from Japan...Back and back to basics! (4.14.14)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep up the good work! 向你说声见谅

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The green and blue paintings from #962 are awesome. Gave me alot of ideas for things to do aswell. Thanks purby!

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    witcrack, Bman, purb, Jeff
    kostas, danny

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    terolan - thx dude, will do! 没问题

krel - arigatou; glad i could help. actually, the blue girl is from the book Pose Catalogue 6. i find it pretty good for short studies, lots of good reference material on really hard subjects (faces, hands, and feet), as well as different lighting situations and difficult angles. check it out at a store, if you can find it. maruzen, kinokunia, art stores too...they should have them. where do you live again? i forget the name, but there's a huuuuuge art store in shinjuku, about 6 floors or so, but they have like, EVERY art book you could imagine. there's also a good one in shi...nevermind, no, it's in hiroshima. nevermind. anyway, check it out.

*shinjuku art store is called "Sekaido"...check it out!

pose book studies, and...i'm gonna call this finished. i'm done with it...it's done. so i can use the mug...

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by purb36; March 15th, 2010 at 11:43 PM.
    -A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

4. The Following User Says Thank You to purb36 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketches here. I've seen you around here for awhile (your commentaries) in others pages. So i just clicked your SB link out of curiosity and I'm glad that i did. I like your approach in your paintings, i've been trying to do the same myself and still having problem to pop the form out and make them more defined, it's because i lack basic knowledge i guess, such as anatomy and perspective. This one is sure have potential i agree (and i'm not gonna slap you ), i'm curious to see you push it to finish. If you do, then my advice would be to define the anatomy more first before laying in with darker tones. I've read your debate with SirCam and i think that is what he meant .

EDIT: That latest pieces are great, especially the one with a mug in cardboard box. You must've posted it while i wrote that above paragraph. The mug is rendered well, but the rest of the objects can be pushed more still. You use Painter, i suppose (just curious)?

I'm making mess here: Sketchbook .
    also on dA and blogspot

Cool people:
    Rotor | Kristoff | Kingkostas | Angel Intheuk | bbwolf

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wit - hey thanks for the visit, dude, glad you won't slap me! really, thx for stopping by, and for the comments and crits. sadly, that piece will most likely not get worked on anymore. my cafe sketches, i try to keep them confined to the cafe (barring technical difficulties, like my wacom driver messing up)...if i don't get them "done", they will probably stay like that. they're more for life studying, and trying to get faster, so that's why i do them. in terms of technique, what i find works for me and i can wrap my head around is working dark to light, starting with the darkest colors and slowly building up the forms with layers of lighter and lighter paint. it's the closest approximation to traditional paint, for me at least, and it helps me understand what i'm doing more than any other way. i can't really wrap my head around painting darker and darker colors, like you would with pencil or pen or watercolor or something like that, i can't get a sense of form that way. i've tried the like, PS speedpainty way, but i find the colors look less rich, firstly because i haven't put in the time to get good at doing it that way, but also because like, you lose a lot of that vivid contrast with the lack of underpainting. anyway, that's just how i find that i work best, and understand what i do. i use Paint Tool Sai, i don't use painter...too expensive, too much of a resource hog, and, i really like the way that it blends a lot better than i like other programs. it seems the most intuitive and most traditional-esque for my taste. it's also really tiny, and really cheap, so that's other reasons why i like it. i don't really do an undersketch, unless it's something really important, like a commission or something. but yes, i must needs pay close attention to the anatomy and the forms and planes...still working on that. again, thx for the crits dude, i hope to see you here again and i will see you in your book. peace outside!

playing with more free, salvaged materials! prismacolors and pentel pastick ftw! 8)

Last edited by purb36; March 16th, 2010 at 04:52 AM.
    -A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The latest still life is great, man. And thanks for all the info
    Btw, I live in Kyoto so its almost easier getting to Hiroshima then Shinjuku, hah. Anyway, definitly gonna check that book out. Cheers

Out of curiosity..how much japanese do you forget when you move back home? Got the impression you were quite a long time in the country so maybe you nailed everything to last you a lifetime?
    本日の漢字宿題:「珈琲」の読み方は何でしょうか?

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    witcrack, Bman, purb, Jeff
    kostas, danny

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting reply. 'Cuz your approach is actually similar to mine. Now i want to share my usual painting process since you already done so and i hope it can be of some use to you as yours to mine .
    I also paint from dark to light, though i only do it not a long time ago, i enjoy it a lot. But as i mentioned before, i find difficulties in bringing the forms out, and up until this time, my trick is to use line drawing over the color blocks (underpainting?) and after i get a clearer sense of shape, i paint it over and render it to finish. So it's a longer way for me. Heheh. I honestly don't do much of traditional painting (but i have urge on doing it) so i don't know much about it having a close similarity to dark-to-light approach in digital. Traditional stuffs i do are limited to dry medias such as pencil, graphite and in my early study, charcoal and pastel. So maybe that's why i have that difficulties of sensing the shape and form in dark to light approach. Now thanks to you, i have more urge and curiosity to do oil painting. Must gain free time!!
    Oh and, SAI is a great program. It's not big but it's efficient. It blends color in similar way as Painter (they both use bleed feature). That's whiy i was guessing if you use Painter. I only wish i've known SAI before i bought Painter, that way i can invest for a bigger wacom ( i use a small bamboo fun and it feels like painting on a business card).

also on dA and blogspot

Cool people:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, thanks again for stopping by my sketchbook.

I really like the flow of your gestures toward the top of this page. I also notice that your shadow pattern study on the face is very nice, I need a lot of work in that area. I still feel that you might be a bit too concerned with the outside contour though which is basically the same critique I brought up before. Rather than having an irregular curvy line around the contour, maybe try to feel the way that the individual forms are fitting into each other that make up that outline. Again, I think you might want to focus a bit more on your structure.

Sorry if my advice really hasn't changed since the last time, I just still feel that this is still the most apparent problem with your sketches. Good luck with your work.

Last edited by Sir Cam; March 19th, 2010 at 08:11 PM.
    "Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours." -Richard Bach

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    krel - 全部忘れちゃうよ、気をつけないと。やっぱりコーヒーでしょう。何か「かひ」見たいかなと思って、調べたん だよ。ずるいだって分かるんだけど。 i was only there for 3.5 years, so i made decent progress only to leave. anyway, no problem about the information; it's free. dunno about hiroshima, i just know that when i went there for an interview, i ended up going in some big book store, and they had some awesome art books i hadn't ever found anywhere else. music and bookstore...maybe tower? not sure; you'll have to find it. g'luck man. how soon till the sakrura saku?

witcrack - i think the best thing is to find what works for you...and when you do, the more you do it the faster you'll get. i personally try not to use line drawing in my paintings, because i've done line for so long, it's really easy for me to think that way, but i'm trying to think more in shape and tone while painting. i actually don't have much experience with traditional paint. though i have started using watercolors (generally presented to me), i have experience primarily with dry media. but, i think that if i can work digitally in a traditional way (cause it's cheaper and less messy), if i ever DO get more into traditional wet media, the learning curve won't be as steep. i also like the way oils/acrylics look, so i try to emulate that in my painting. i'm a sucker for Sargent and Mucha, any real good traditional figurework, really. anyway...yeah, if you can, i would definitely recommend getting a bigger wacom. personally, i would go for the intuous 3, because of the button layout...i like that better than the int 4, but hey, whatever floats your boat. take care man, hope to see more from you soon.

sir - anytime, man, anytime. you have really nice stuff there, so i'll continue to be around. thanks as always for the crits, but, again, i'm not really sure what you mean. would you be able to do a paintover, or draw out for me what you mean? sometimes it takes visuals for me to grasp a meaning better. hope you had a great weekend, and have an even better week this week. see you soon, bro.

my first watercolor portrait! that, and a reorg of my pallete...maybe it can be helpful to you as well...? feel free to take a look. thx for the visit. PANDA!

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi!Purb36 .your doing great!keep it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lal - xie xie! i will try.

wip of a present i'm working on...may end up doing it in vector, but this is fun and good practice.

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Sir. Things are looking good here. First thing I notice is your lines are looking really confident.

I'm about to fall asleep. Long day.

I'll be back tomorrow and spend more time going through the pages here to see all I've missed while I was away.

Please stop by my new Anatomy Sketchbook and critique the hell out of it.

"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."- Mario Andretti

My Blog (Cartoony stuff)

My Illustration Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last WIP is looking good! Looking fun indeed. I like the angle and the lighting, especially. And as before, i find it's nice to see how you do it. Will you push it to finish? Hopefully you do

also on dA and blogspot

Cool people:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by purb36
    sir - anytime, man, anytime. you have really nice stuff there, so i'll continue to be around. thanks as always for the crits, but, again, i'm not really sure what you mean. would you be able to do a paintover, or draw out for me what you mean? sometimes it takes visuals for me to grasp a meaning better. hope you had a great weekend, and have an even better week this week. see you soon, bro.
    Hey man, sorry for taking so long to get back to you, I've been terribly busy lately with school. I would have preferred to do this with a figure but you didn't really have any recent figure drawings posted (not counting the gestures) so I just went over your self portrait to try to explain what I mean by structure.

Simply put, structure is how the forms fit together. To have good structure in a drawing (or painting) is to indicate how those forms fit together subtly meaning not to just draw it all out like I have here, I just did that so you could see a simplified version of how they do fit together. It doesn't matter if you don't really see this stuff on a face, you still should still indicate it to clarify the structure. Again, structure is how the forms fit together so by this definition, structure can be found in anything that is 3D. If you have a cylinder that has another cylinder growing out of it, to indicate the way it fits is structure, etc. etc. etc. It is so very important in make a drawing look solid. The masters all throughout history understood structure so it's not as if one doesn't need to know this to get to their level, it is a core fundamental of drawing.

I am no master and the structure in my own drawings could definitely use some work, I just feel that indicating the structure of the forms a bit more could really help.

"Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours." -Richard Bach

Sketchbook

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Cam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hiya purb,
    that is a great first try at watercolors! Wonderful catch of the subtle smile in her eyes, I love it. Your latest digital piece also shows lots of skills.
    Keep it up, the improvement shown in this sketchbook is amazing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey bro! I really like your green period in here. And there's just so much awesomnes that I have missed. I agree with ariel. Good start on the watercolors. Take care mate

Björn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    crazy - thx man, thx lots. good stuff happening in your place, too. keep it going, ok? also pushes me to think and test (and sometimes reevaluate) what i know. i'll see you around your thread, and here too, hopefully. love the website, too, want to talk to you about that sometime. peace beans!

wit - well, i couldn't get a picture for reference, and the deadline's coming up soon. working to finish the vector version at the moment, but i will finish it sometime because i really like it, and it's fun. thx for the encouragement...i was going to say something about you not updating, but i realized i hadn't had you subscribed. done, and i will see you there soon. take care!

sir - thank you for taking the time to do the paintover. confirmed what i thought you meant, so i appreciate it. however, i disagree with your premise. you say that because i don't indicate the structure and mostly use line/outline/contour, that it shows that i don't understand or think about structure, and that i should indicate it more in my drawings. i think that i DO understand structure and think about it all of the time, which is why my contours look like they do. now, those may be wrong sometimes (i'm human enough to know that i'm human too), so that means that i need to go back and study (which i should probably do anyway) those parts which i'm messing up. i feel that my ability to render what i know due to consistent light sources is my biggest issue; you seem to disagree about that. and so we're at a standstill. i'm not going to start indicating structure the same way hampton does, or doing cross contours in all my drawings...our aims are different. he isn't much concerned with making people look like people (he even says that in the book, stresses that), he draws people for the design and the principles. i draw people to be people. anyway, i haven't been on because i've spent too much time worrying about how best to respond to you and not uploading any artwork in the meantime...i'm just going to post some art and quit worrying. really, thank you for your input, and i really mean that, and i REALLY appreciate you taking the time out from your schooling and stuff to try to help me out. i really do. i'm not trying to be a jerk, i simply disagree. we can talk more about this in PM if you want to keep discussing. hope your week went well.

ari - thx dude! and, welcome to the thread! i hope that i can keep improving, so i'll be working hard. any watercolor tips you could give me would be appreciated. thx dude, and i'll see you on your thread if not sooner.

BBBB!!!! - good to see you, good to see you. and thx. green/blue has been fun, i'll probably do more like it. i need to work on mood as well, so maybe i can do more with that. i AM well, and i hope you are too!

some art from the past 2 weeks: short-notice illo for my dad, a watercolor present, vector illo wip, and a pastick/color pencil portrait. last week was the great! hope i'll be back sooner next time...time only knows.

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

20. The Following User Says Thank You to purb36 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    progress...

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work is looking nice. Like I have mentioned before I really like your quick sketches something I really want to develop myself.

The Late Starters Sketch Group

UrbanHermit~Krel~DiR3Kt~Sir Cam

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaaarrron! I haven't dropped any luv on your SB lately, so here goes!

Cam already said most of what I was going to mention, so I'll skip onto planes. The piano sketch makes good use of planes, and there's some good line weight play going on. My advice is to use fewer lines when you are sketching. Emphasize the forms utilizing thicker lines, but don't use smaller lines to build up to it, just slam it down with either a thicker pen, or use a brush pen and tell it where you want the ink. Just don't talk to your drawing tools in public like I used to (what?!). Also, that the Splinter Cell 36 is meeting on Thursdays, I should be around moar; so I'll see you then.

Boston Splinter Cell 36
    Jushra | Purb36 | PartialArtist | Vorp | Kongni

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Jushra For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im super. Still some problems with housing though. Nothing serious though.
    I really like your last portrait. The colors you have used make it pop. Your hatching is good aswell. I love your use of blues and reds, Nice!

Björn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hermit - sry, no quick stuff today, but i'll scan some things soon, cause i gots pages in reserve. thx for the visit, as always. for quick sketching, maybe you could try a big fat sharpie marker...that helped me loosen up a lot and get quicker. take care, dude!

jush - speaking of splinter cell, have you seen the new one that just came out? some really cool gameplay ideas in that one. but i digress...anyway, thx for the crit, we'll talk more aboot it next thursday? since no one was coming, i ended up going to Jamal's and playing some b-ball...i can't do that again. my knee's killing me! i guess i'm not as young as i used to be, haha. see you next week? take care dude. still-life pics plz...

b - i'm glad you found SOMEplace...that's better than being on the streets. thx man, i really like that portrait too! came out better than i expected, i was kinda nervous. i always am a little bit when i do a portrait, but that's just how it is. crayons and color pencils, man, you should try it sometime. glad you like. hope housing stuff gets sorted out completely...talk to you soon yo.

deadline is over, so i'm calling the piece done. i may work more on it though sometime, the girl is reeeeally out of perspective for the piece. and a still-life wip...why buy an asaro head? get your own styrofoam display head for under $7!!!!

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    display heads rock!

scans, as promised...some old, some new.

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Purb, what's up man! Great idea on those display heads, the thought never occurred to me. Where did you pick them up? These faces/heads are getting really tight The time spent practicing them is definitely paying off. Sorry I haven't been around at the meetups, I got back from vacation and started a project with a friend that demands most of my evenings. Hopefully I can still drop in from time to time. Will be staying tuned right here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your sketches are looking great as usual! Do you do these in public places? I try each week to sketch people in public places but fail most of the time. Do you have any advice for someone new to this?

The Late Starters Sketch Group

UrbanHermit~Krel~DiR3Kt~Sir Cam

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zhonked - hey man. i got the heads from amazon (guy) and the female one from a place called...zakka canada. wow, that was a hard one to remember. they're both really nice, lightweight, stand up well, and...cheap. total was around $20, i think, mostly for shipping. hey, if you get a chance, you should stop by Vorp's place this weekend for Somerville Open Studios, if only to say hi. we're going to be displaying some stuff. anyway, hope the project is going well and vacation was fun; hope to see you soon, but if not, take care and all the best with your life right now.

hermit - thx for the visit dude. i'll write a response to you in your thread, so you'll have all your advice in one place. see you there soon, man.

the ugly, the badd, and the good...

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

31. The Following User Says Thank You to purb36 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi man ,I think you need to study the facial structure,I think it is very useful to you ,keep it up my friend!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the info! When is the open studios? I'll be in NYC until Sunday afternoon, if you guys are there Sunday night, I'd love to come by and check it out. Will you both be showcasing stuff? I had no idea Vorp had a studio... Project is going well, just need to find more time to work on it and keep practicing everything else. I really hope my schedule let's up soon so I can join the group again. Maybe I can try to get you guys to meet on a weekend instead?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LAL - yep...that's what i'm trying to do. will keep working on it. hao hao xue, tian tian shang!

zhonked - he has a "studio". really, just his house, and we had a bunch of artists he knows put up stuff. time is 12-6pm...but, he may have stuff up later. come check it out, man, if you can. hope nyc is fun; see you sometime soon, yo. feel free to organize a weekend thing, if that works for you man, no one owns the thread. go for it!

scans and speedies...got some good work done today at studiotime. hope to see some of y'all there tomorrow! somerville open studios, everybody! location #70...that's where the hottness is. check out psycho-egg...

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

35. The Following User Says Thank You to purb36 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool studies. I really like the painted portrait you did in your last post.

Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 125