Sketchbook: GROOVY- Matt's Sketchbook From The OTHER SIDE! (R.I.P)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Angry GROOVY- Matt's Sketchbook From The OTHER SIDE! (R.I.P)

This Sketch book is NOW DEAD!!
    We changed from Telus to Shaw and I lost my telus webspace..and seeing as how no one really seems to care enough about this sketch book to ever say anything, I don't care enough about it to waste my time looking for new webspace and then reposting all of the pics. That would take forever and would be a waste of time since no one would say make any comments about it anyways.

Perhaps I will start a new sketch book In September or sometime this fall.

~Matt

Last edited by Majofo; July 26th, 2005 at 06:05 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some 3d stuff I did

Here are some 3d pics I did while i was playing with 3d stuff.

Last edited by Majofo; July 26th, 2005 at 06:05 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This one I did about a month or 2 ago. I did it with INK

Here is another one

This one I did while I was in the middle of doing an interesting sketch method that I like to do sometimes. What I do is I put the pencil on the paper and start to scribble and then when I start to see an image in the scribble I start to create the drawing. I did a few about 2 days ago and I think I may include a few more of those as well. This one I like the best though. I like the weird person on the bottom

Another

Here is an inked version of that picture I called Weird Guy

Last edited by Majofo; March 13th, 2005 at 05:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff, man.

I especially love the black and white pic of bruce campbell and the post-apocalyptic guy with the mask.

Keep the updates coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hihih that wierd guy is very funny

those 3D mech models kick ma butt when i look at them they move and figh in ma head.. very c00l
    what prog u use to make these 3D models ?

n tip n tricks : try to do some easy geometrie studies - those help a lot to understand orientation in 3D space.. iam doing lotsa too.... draw cylinders.. cubes.. other easy geometrical stuff.. draw stuff like a bunch of cubes and cylinders which are connectet to eachother..

thats just how i see and studie the human body.. i brake it down into piecec.. seperate.. easy geometrie.. arms legs = cylinders.. head ripcage belly area... cubes or maybe a bit more complex then a cube

doing those studies helped me very very much to improve fast
    i really can recommend these

keep up !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't had time to do any 3d stuff since last summer, I used Lightwave though.
    Yeah in my design class today I was painting a still life and I had to paint this gold bowl that i had upside down and well..I can't even begin to tell you how much trouble I had with the Elipses ( sorry if I spelt that wrong) and well my teacher was telling me that I have draw hundreds of cylinders and things like that to get better at it. She told me to do that square thing, you know when you make the put lines in the box and you those line as guides to making circles. So yeah.
    I find that most of the stuff in my sketch book is usually pretty rough and they are either doodles, studies or plans for projects. Mostly Doodles though. Right now my goal is to master elipses.

~Matt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are 2 more pics
    YEAH ELIPSES!WOOOO!!
    As you can tell, I have a lot of work to do

And here is a sketch I did while I was in English class a few weeks ago

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yah00

yep ur teacher is right .. u need 10000 of cylinders to get good at it.. i used to draw cylis for 6 days.. maybe 500+ per paper sheet.. (both sides)

ur cylis .. good start. but do them SMALLER check my sketchbook.. theres a page with my cylinders.. u can see how smal i draw them

its not mainly about circles or elipsed but about orientation.. u orient and allign objects in 3D orbit*space its good way to train ur hand and arm to make fluid movements in lotsa directions care about the orientation first then try to keep ur elispes and circles smooth ..u can also draw cubes.. and then draw cylinders inside that cube.. another good way to understand orientation inside 3d space*orbit

keep it up ! and keep them small !
    pss : see cylinders as legs and arms.. try to get a feeling for body proportions while u draw cylinders

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice, Yeah I plan on doing pages and pages of both cylinders and cubes to help me out.

I am also thinking about trying to go to some figure drawing drop in classes at a place near where I am, I am hoping to be able to go at least 2 times a week once I am done school, I know that that will help me sooooooooooooo much with the model, not to mention the stuff I'll be learning in school as well.

In my sculpture class we are going to be doing clay skulls soon and then clay figures after that. That will be soooooooooo helpful I think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cylinder studies

oh and a pic I did a while ago in Design class.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude, the paintin above the Crows looks like that one demon in movie "the lord of the ring."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2 more sketches I did today

Last edited by Majofo; March 18th, 2005 at 03:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is one i did today
    The words "Use all of the Buffalo" comes from the guy who directed the Incredibles. On the dvd he says that back in the day when the people had to survive they used every part of the buffalo in everyway they could. I wrote that so that I would be sure to use as much of the page as I could.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I changed the name of my sketch book. I no longer liked the name i had for it before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I am going to try to post a drawing everyday...of course this won't last but I'll try to make it last as long as I can.
    SOoooo since I will be trying to post something everyday that means I may have to post a bad drawing once and while, if it's a bad drawing day that is.... or if I just don't produce anything good in a single day.
    SOoooo
    to downplay the bad drawing as much as I can I am going to post two other images I did a while ago that I like.
    The first one is a picture of batman I drew a while ago. I never really got to drawing all of him and I liked what I had already so much that I just didn't want to do more and risk ruining it. So here is THE BATMAN HEAD!!! >

and here is a picture I drew probably a year ago or so...I started drawing my hand and then I just ended up drawing the body...its supposed to be me...cartoony me...and it didn't start out as a bloody hand kind of pic , it just sort of turned into that.

and...the bad drawing.....

Hopefully I will have another update on Sunday.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well look at that. I actually did produce something I kind of like.
    I plan on adding more to this.
    Muggers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red

RED 1

RED 2

RED 3

~MaTT

Last edited by Majofo; March 22nd, 2005 at 11:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Skull Drawings

I have to draw three Skulls for Sculpture class.
    The emphasis for this is proportions not Tone...I did not spend a lot of time on the tone
    Yes I know. The proportions are not 100% accurate...I may work on them more...but probably not..not tonight anyways.
    1 Front
    1 TOP
    1 Side

FRONT

The ToTally exciting
    TOP!!

RIGHT SIDE VIEW

Last edited by Majofo; March 22nd, 2005 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see improvement, which is good. Just keep practicing anatomy.

I like your "red" series, and the design picture with the astronaught.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, my drawing class is doing Figure drawing right now, I have a whole bunch of stuff that i have to take photo's of and scan.
    Got like a 100 gestures, some contours, some latex paint figure drawings (which we used paint brushes on dowels to paint) and some Tonal stuff.
    So probably in late April I am going to get all of those back and then I will try to get the best of them scanned and on here.

~Matt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Use All Of The Buffalo Part 2!

Hey,
    here is another page full of cylinders, I know I still got to do like 90,000 more of those but I am starting to get bored with them. I think next time I will be more creative and make something more interesting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More Images

Last edited by Majofo; April 17th, 2005 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first one is another picture of those Crows. I bought a card that had that picture of them while i was in Jasper last summer and while I was there I drew this picture.

This was one of those cases where I drew it and when i was done THAT's when i noticed that the head was too big for the body..kind of gives Batman a cartoonish look. hmm...come to think of it, the whole thing just kind of looks cartoony in general. Also I need to work on drawing legs.

This is my favorite of the bunch.

Last edited by Majofo; March 26th, 2005 at 11:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, you've got some cool ideas. I'm gonna link you to some anatomy reference and stuff that helped me when I was starting out. Keep drawin' my friend, I'm already seeing improvement!
    www.saveloomis.org

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the link,
    yeah i find that the best way to learn anatomy is to go to figure drawing classes...I haven't been able to go a lot yet but as soon as I am done school I am planning on going twice a week and then my figure drawing will really improve.

I am using this book right now to learn...

Atlas of Human antomy for the Artist

~Matt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, so I saw some art that this guy did in one of his sketchbooks ( i am sorry that I forget who it is...I've been looking at SOOOo many sketchbooks these past few weeks) anyways...this guy did a few sketches where he looked at a photo that was upside down and drew it. So for a while now I've been wanting to give that a try myself...so I did one today..first time I did it...I think I will do more..also I did not spend a lot of time on this...the actual drawing took like 4 minutes..the inking part took like 5 or 6 and a half minutes....
    here it is.

"Fear And Loathing"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL - like ur ideas and stuff man
    mr freeze is c00l O_O

ur cylinders are nice ..u should do MORE ;D but .. do more from top view to get idea about foreshortening.. this is very important because u get foreshortening evrywhere.. lotsa posing and gestures require good awareness about foreshortening and stuff.. i proceeded this way : i saw cylis from front which is like 0 degree
    then i saw the cylis side.. like 90 degree.. then i drew maybe a few cylinders from 0 to 90 degree .. iv done this in order to understand rotation and how to fore-shorten .. after a while i used 20 cylis.. in fact u have one cylinder for each degree,.. 90 cylis total..this quite alot but when u know this 90 shapes.. hell dude O_O u can allign ur stuff so perfect

when u imagine a body in action.. see how its arms and legs move while he perform his action *i love watching movies and doing some action opbservation* the main thing for me is the foreshortening thingy..
    the "more top view" cylis then the "more side view"...

draw cylinders in same proportions like arms or legs .. or setup a complete body with this.. this way its much easier and faster to setup a body and proportions when u keep the shapes easy...
    draw arm like cylinders in any pose u can imagine.. when i do this i just imagine chars in action those help a lot to get ideas

u can also draw some arrangements of cylis.. maybe 10 cylis
    or more.. arrange cylinders upon a spheres surface... this is good way to understand foreshorteing and vanishing points*perpspective flow

add vanishing points to ur cylinders too - they help to get feeling for distance.. with VPs u change the scale*dimension (thats how i call it)
    i mean.. u have 1 cylinder which is like a battery then u add the vanishing point and that thing looks huge - its still the same battery but the scale is 100:1 or 2500:1: its like u change ur own size.. then u become smal like bucks or ants or .. any micro-animals .. for these thingys.. our reality*world looks completly diffrent because of their size i think..

when u get bored.. maybe try to draw bodys in action.. start simple with stick man.. then think about the orientation of ur arm legs head etc..

+ may take something cylinder like object u see in ur room and observe it.. rotate it in front of ur eye.. then draw .. and then draw same cylinder with vanishing points

anyways.. i recommend to keep things simple.. this saves lotsa time and frustration ..u can indicate all features orientation with easy shapes -
    when the orientations dont fit.. the perspective looks twisted
    once u know how to indicate the feature with easy shapes.. its really no problem anymore to get the shape more n more complex..until u have full realistic complexity

http://www.fragtasia.de/bob/2dstuff/...head_draw_muh/

keep up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice dude,
    I will be sure to keep all of that in mind. I think you are right too about the foreshortening thing. It makes sense. I've had to draw a few figures now that were foreshortened and they were hard as hell. I think I will do that sphere thing you mentioned, that sounds like it would be a good learning study to do.

~Matt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i decided to do the little rectangle things myself since SideShowBob did it and I saw someone else doing it as well today.
    I actually thought that it was fun, it's a good way to get a feeling of space in a drawing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.