Cow C.O.W. - #006: Digger Creature

C.O.W. - #006: Digger Creature

Round #006

Topic:
    Digger Creature

Deadline:

- for any questions or help go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37512

note: The deadline won't be EXACTLY after a week...it can last up to 24 hours more, i am human and have to work also, you know

Post your creature for this week!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

sandy pants

The Sand Swilling Castle Fiend:
    Indiginous to deserts across the globe (Language may vary with location).
    The sensitive skin of this creature prevents it from living a diurnal lifestyle and owning beach front property. Salt and sun kills these fleshy creatures quite easily. To combat this they shovel themselves under the sand where they can stay moist and cool during the day. After foraging each night the Castle Fiend builds elaborate structures in the sand before day breaks. The structures help it fend of the heat. The more sand the better! The intricacy of the structural design is very important as well, for you see the ladies love a phat pad and are attracted to the coolest areas in the sand. The female won't see her mate's lair until the evening, so she spends all day burrowing, searching for cool napping areas. If a male can keep her in his lair until evening it is a good sign! Though when they emerge at night the male may be dissappointed to find his female rejects the decor of her would be home.

One note on anatomy:
    Protruding eye stalks peek above the sand at the slightest disturbance, always on the alert for danger. Walking among these animals during the day is like an amusing game of peek a boo. Desert children often throw things near Castle Fiends to see who can get the closest without arrousing one. *ahem* Rather, having the creature poke it's eyes above the ground.

One more note:
    Desert children are excellent sources of tiny Castle Fiend sized plastic shovels and pails.

Last edited by coondoggle; March 8th, 2005 at 02:15 AM.

Thanks

Cow

This little guy is a xenopod, a distant and ancient relative of the armadillo and sloth. He has boney forearm plates that help hip to dig through the soil where he can find delicious ants and termites. He has a very long snout to hold his long tongue, which is perfect for licking up insects. He also has a boney jaw and chin for packing the earth tightly around his tunneled home under the ground. He's generally harmless, but very shy, and may try to backhand and claw his predators if they get too close. He's approximately 4 feet hight at the shoulder.

Please don't frighten him!

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    Whoa, 2 great cow's already! Coondoggle, show me how you got that coloring effect tomorrow at work. Mine might be a wip (I think I read we can alter them until the due date). I've been so busy I'm not sure I'll have time to revisit it.

The Rotwood Burrower lives around the perimeter of the Yunogoth Jungle. It's on omnivore that feeds off of batanka grub, roots and nutrients in the soil. The soil is passed through the tubes on it's body. Nutrients are pulled from that soil as it passes through the burrowers body. Then is expelled behind it, covering most of the tunnel it had just created. This way predators can't catch them from behind.

Rotwood Burrowers are about the size of a large dog, and have nasty tempers. Think warthog or wolverine. Usually though they avoid settlers, and contact with them rarely ends in death of either party involved.

Thanks
    Doug and I appear to have been thinking along similar lines...

The Rocksnapper's natural habitat is the barren surface of the planet Subtarboria. This wasteland of low mountains and parched earth is ravaged by dust storms and high winds, but conceals a surprisingly diverse ecosystem of fungi and invertebrates in the water-soaked substrata of porous rock a few feet below the surface. The creature uses it's powerful foreclaws and beak to smash it's way through the stony soil and rock on the surface to feed on the rich subterranean food source.

It's spiny back and collar protect it from predators while it's head is below ground, and the Rocksnapper has evolved hindclaws of different sizes to help it retain traction in the debris of gravel and shattered stone that surround it.

Interesting Rocksnapper fact 1 : The creature intentionally ingests a certain amount of soil and rock when feeding, which is 'digested' to help strengthen it's tough carapace and claws.

Interesting Rocksnapper fact 2 : Despite it's rugged appearance, the clouds of fine dust that blow constantly across the surface of Subtarboria mean the creature's hard extremeties are polished to a glass-like finish.

Interesting Rocksnapper fact 3 : Wind blowing through the Rocksnapper's spines produces a low, reverberating hum which the creature appears to be able to control by moving it's head and spine. Research into the Rocksnapper's 'song' as a means of communication have been inconclusive.

Last edited by Matt Dixon; March 8th, 2005 at 04:36 PM.

Thanks
    lol damn, i also have the same sort of idea as doug. to tell you the truth i really dont like my pic, but im gonna post it anyway. cant be bothered to do another.

Bone Backed Jelly Tunneller

The bone backed jelly tunneller is well known for its hugely venomous underbelly. that being its only defence mechanism apart from its rock like shell which covers its main bodily muscle. the huge muscle spans the whole length of the creatures body and is used to power its rock crunching teeth mounted just above its "mouth". the mouth itself has rows and rows of black teeth designed to chew up dirt and smaller rocks. dirt being its main food (it also likes to eat plant roots) it chews it up and sucks out all of the moisture and nutrients before passing it out its tail, thus covering its tracks. the venomous slime which covers its underbelly not also provides a defence but also a lubrication for its body to pass through the ground smoothly. the venom itself will almost certainly kill you if you happen to eat it but is quite harmless to the touch.

Last edited by fungi; March 13th, 2005 at 06:42 PM.

Thanks
    Matt that's awesome. That head and eye are so friggin cool! Fungi your insane. That piece is way super cool. Excellent work.

Thanks
    Ok here is mine...The story part is not my strongest skill
    But here it is

The Double warted digger worm" is a hard-working digger that spends most time of the day and night digging maze like tunnel systems ,Gladly under smaller towns where they look for foad soaked into the ground from pubs and resaurants...they dont mind some beer spill from the pubs, Intoxicated they love to play around in their mazes, Which sometimes leads to copulating with the opposite sex. Joy of the day is when they can look upp from the ground and enjoy some sunshine after a good meal...or other activity.
    They are nearly blind which make them look sleepy but they rarely sleeps, they are very hyperactive creatures.

/Joel

Last edited by JoBeSu; March 13th, 2005 at 08:48 PM.
    Konstigt...

Thanks

woot

I love it Jobesu! The teeny hind legs and the tusks and buck teeth are adorable!

Thanks
    heres mine... ill post the information on it later...

[edit]...

Tunnel Rat

first to be heard of during vietnam war, scientists got very excited bout the rumors, mistaking it as the existence of a new creature.
    about 30 years later, now a strange animal has been spotted on madagaskar island. dedicated to the embarrassing fault of the 70ties its been named tunnel rat (lat. specus rattus).

its about 4 times the size of its relatives the house rats (lat. rattus rattus) and living in wide tunnels, it digs below the surface, which fact explains its been spotted that late. its diet probably mostly consists of maggots and worms (lat. vermis).

scientists are still about to explore this newly found animal and its habitat.

Last edited by sone_one; March 14th, 2005 at 09:54 AM.
    newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Thanks

Air's mine.

He's got shells like an armadillo to prevent scratches, a tail to balance if he gets up on hind legs, and monster claws for getting through the earth and gravel. His schnoz is strealined so he is aerodynamic. Why it helps in digging is beyond me.

Thanks
    I'm gonna try something new this round - and if It works, I may keep doing it this way ( let me know what you think ).

Ships Log: Captain Sam Solar:

"Caretaker of Emaruul" :: As I made my way towards the 'Hell Horse Nebula Science Space Station', or the H2.N.S3, I took a short detour through the woods of Emaruul, hoping to catch a glimpse of the three setting suns, but my timing was far too early and I arrived mid-day. My little adventure was nearly wasted until I spotted a 'Caretaker' planting some forest extensions in a nearby field. Usually these giant creatures are busy deep within the forests gathering sick or dying plant life onto its back, nurturing them back to proper health. I took a few documental pictures with my robo-cam to be sure people would believe my story, and so that I could remember such an experience through my greying years. I read somewhere that the large drill-like structure in the middle of the Caretaker could be created from the sick plant's roots as they grow stronger, that tiny arms inside the inner ring adjust and form the roots into the tightly wound drill, so that when the time came for them to be re-planted, the Emaruul Caretaker could then wedge them deep into the ground, stronger than ever. Perhaps these trees I saw in the middle used to be sickly? It would be a good assumption. I will have to show my new images to the scientists at H2.N.S3, I'm sure they'll love to study them for further understanding of the worlds around us.

Thanks
    JoBeSu- I love it! Tons of personality...definitely the early frontrunner for my vote, though truthfully pretty much every entry has been kick ass so far.

Here's mine:

Alas, what horror the flames of passion hath wrought! The love-child of a drunken coal miner and a hideously seductive ogre, the tragic hybrid Orthranx is a walking advertisement for the morning after pill. Taunted by the human community for his horrific face, and shunned by the ogre clan for his dashing good looks and stellar dental hygiene, Orthranx lives a lonely existence in the Earth's very womb, passing the days by compulsively digging a labyrinth of tunnels right underneath our feet. Responsible for more cave-ins than a natural disaster, time and time again Orthranx has enacted his vengeance upon those who would drive him underground. But who is the true villain here? The tortured monster, the cruel society, or the inebriated artist who concocted it all?

Last edited by JeffZNY; March 9th, 2005 at 12:13 AM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.