Sketchbook: Wertle's Sketchbook (12-19-05)
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wertle's Sketchbook (12-19-05)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wertle's Sketchbook (12-19-05)

I am starting a daily sketchbook anyway, may as well get feedback and create more homework for myself as I go!

Many of these will be master copies, as my goal is at least one copy a day from one of my many anatomy books (after I've determined that no, just *owning* the books isn't going to make me better ^_^ )

Barcsay's Anatomy for the Artist

Gordon's How to Draw the Human Figure

Samurai Virus, a character that's been kicking around and evolving since my 8th grade science class notebook. I brought him back for a silly ashcan comic I did last summer, and would like to continue trying to develop him into...something. I have a lot of questions I need to figure out for him (such as, how exactly is he holding that sword?)

Last edited by Wertle; December 19th, 2005 at 06:18 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hammond's Draw Real Hands, and a dragon thing. 3-5-04

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yesterday..my character from a game of Nobilis I'm in. Power of Candy! I would have finished, but I ran out of supplies...you know, what's that stuff? Need it for good drawings? Oh yeah, patience!

I'm slow on the drawing today because I'm focusing on a 3D project. I'm making some masks. But the latex isn't dry yet, so here's the negative

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Wertle
    Your exercises are looking good so far. As to try to give some feedback You could try to redraw the pic from memory a couple of minutes after you have drawn it.That will force you to remember what you have drawn and get better at remember such stuff. This so you could use that knowledge and not only how to draw when seeing things. Well thats my theory anyway. Have not yet starting to do so but is going to start doing so myself this week.

My sketchbook flawed to the max page 5
    Ps:Hope you understand my English.
    Remember my advices taste best with a grain of salt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, that's a great idea, thank you! I will try it with my work-sketch tonight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice hand study (p.44) keep doing them and each time your training your eye even if you dont realize it. start using a mirror and harsh lighting to see the form better. Rather than be restricted to a flat image in a book. keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thought I'd stop by, since you were kind enough to drop a note in my sketchbook.

Your studies look pretty good. I agree with what mindflaw said about coming back and working from your memory after you do a study. I have just started doing this as an exercise evey day for the last couple of weeks and I feel it is really helping me to learn the anatomy.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I promise I did that study-from-memory thing, the sketchbook in question is just left at a friends house. No really!

In the meantime, I went to the zoo today with my big sketchbook (14 x 17 inch pages) to do some quick studies. It's something I'll definately have to do more often.

Tiger, polar bear, sea lion

Fruit bats

More fruit bats and a black-necked stilt

orangutans

more orangutans

More big sleepin cats, eagle, weird bird thing

Fishing cat, penguin

Komodo dragon

rhinos

More rhino, steller's eagle, giraffe

Giraffes

Addex (i think)

camel, lion

lion, some kind of tamerin

gorillas

It was a fun trip. I think next time I'm going to focus on just a few animals and do more and longer studies of them. Any tips on animal life drawing?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would say go about animal lifedrawing as you would with the human figure...like with human you might look at the ribcage and simplyfie the the form to an egg, do the same thing with animals. Study them try to figure out how they are constructed. Muscles, bones, tendons, have the same functions as they have in humans thus constructed in a similar way, although to fit the animal construction.

My sketchbook flawed to the max page 5
    Ps:Hope you understand my English.
    Remember my advices taste best with a grain of salt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll just skip over making excuses for my absence and get straight to the post.

Today I tried out the whole "draw, then wait, then draw from memory" suggestion. I focused on the knee. All these are from Louise Gordon's How to Draw the Human Figure.

My first attempt. The left is from looking at the book, the right from memory. Clearly I know nothing about the knee x_x I decided that maybe doing this exercise and drawing in the negative might be a bit much, so I reverted and tried again.

A little better, at least this time I tried to pay attention to the structure, and not stitch shapes together.

And again

A couple more copies from the book

Tried another copy, study, draw-again-from-memory at the top. Then some sketches of my own knee at the bottom (upside down)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another copy from Gordon's book. Also, my foot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you got nice anatomy studies here actually i am using the same book XD

sawa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you! I'm very fond of this book. I have two others in which one is overly simplified and one is overly exaggerated, but I've found this one to be a very pleasant happy medium.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More Gordon copies, and then my hand

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are two things I hate about art, and both of them are drapery studies.

I'm haaaaaaaaate drapery studies, but if you've ever seen me try to draw clothes, you'll know that this is something I need to do often. This is actually only half of the study, there's another whole side of cloth I didn't get to.

I have a huge problem with consistent value, and my drapery studies tend to look very patchy to me, probably because I have a habit of throwing blocks of light and shadow here and there, without looking at the whole thing. Help?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Worked more on the drapery study

Quick and sketchy dragon thing to keep my brain from melting from all these studies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice update on the drapery study. its looking pretty good now. i should do some of these too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you! It is far from finished I'm sure, but I have to take a break from it. I'm starting to work up that dragon sketch.

I have no experience with Painter, so this will be a learning experience for that too. I didn't really know where to start, so I figured maybe I'd do like with a real painting and start working on a tonal underpainting?

Whole thing...

Head detail...

Here's a link to a bigger size, so as not to totally destroy the download time for this thread

http://www.wertle.com/CAorg/sketchbook/100405c.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work so far. Your pencil technique reminds me a lot of my own. A general crit that I have received is that the short lines tend to hurt the look of the sketch. Practice or force yourself to work in longer strokes. Try to get the line right on the first pass. It will not be perfect when you start but it will help establish better hand to eye coordination. so that your hand moves the way your eyes want it to.

The Painter understudy looks good so far. I'm not big on the digital software techniques yet so no help on that end from me. But as far as replicating a real painting understudy good job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, I will try that exercise tomorrow with my next set of anatomy studies.

More working on the thing. I redid the arms, but I'm still having some trouble with that whole chest/shoulder area.

Big

Detail

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good anatomy studies, you have the right idea by drawing them from memory after drawing from the book. I have done some of that and it helps a ton. Also a great idea on the drapery studies, I'll have to give it a try.

I don't have much experience with digital painting, but I might suggest creating a more even tonal background to avoid any confusion. Maybe flesh out your sketch a bit more before going into painting. If you're having trouble building the anatomy for an area, think about flat surfaces and planes, how they might show because of the muscle structure. Great start for having no experience, keep up the good work, you'll have it before long.

Interceptor is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Wertle!!
    So many sketches, it's great to see you working so hard. I'm also glad at the variety, not just drawing big monsters or just hot chicks. One thing I'm noticing though is that the shading in some of the pictures is'nt very gradual. It's black, black, black, WHITE!. Try varying the shading levels and it may come off more natural! Post more!!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like you're off to a good start. I think I found your animal studies the most interesting because of the repeated lines in the gesture. Kinda gives it this big passionate feel to it. I'd say keep concintrating on the forms and how these things feel and turn in space.

I agree with Dan, probably one of the first things todo in a painting is KILL ALL THE WHITEY. Since white can bring such a big contrast it's best to eliminate it completely at first and then reintroduce it to the parts of the painting where you <b>want</b> the big contrasts- where you want the eye to be attracted to most (I guess which is usually the face). That said, I really like the emotional feel from the lighting on the dragon, but all the white splotches are too distracting to keep focused on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't have much to add except to make sure you get some diverse colors in the dragon painting, both warm and cool colors.
    I love your animal gestures btw, keep doing that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More from Gordon---an attempt at bengonzalez's suggestion to work in longer strokes. I propped up my sketchbook so that I would be drawing from my shoulder more.

HARD!!

Danomight -- Thank you. I need a setting for this critter, but I'm a little undecided. I'm thinking maybe something foresty or some rocky cliff face (rocky cliff face being decidedly easier in my mind, so I'll probably go with foresty to force myself into a challenge. Argg!)

Interceptor -- That's probably a kickback from when I used to shade everything in the same middle gray, now I'm going the opposite extreme! I'll try to reign myself back in and take more time.

Redfive -- Thank you on the animals, I'm hoping to plan another zoo trip soon, and then focus longer studies on just a few animals. Tomorrow when I try to flesh in a background in the painting, I'll take that time to get rid of any patches of "canvas" showing through.

Snowsfall -- I will probably start working in some cool colors to help the shadows pop out. It's still just a tonal underpainting, though, and I haven't really given much thought as to what colors the dragon will end up being. Any suggestions? Possibly it will be somewhat dependent on the background environment I paint in for him?

Thanks for the comments, all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nicely done better than I can manage. Im still chopping the line and going back and forth with the pencil. It's hard to get use to it but eventually it becomes easier to use all of your arm to draw with, or so I've been told by my teachers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bengonzalez -- I found that it really helped to prop up my sketchbook and draw holding my pencil like I would hold a piece of chalk, with the sketchbook about arms' length away. I knew it was forcing me to draw with my whole arm, because my shoulder was quite sore afterwards Give it a try!

I need to get an easel for starting some paintings anyway, but I could use one to try and do sketches in this manner more often.

Interceptor is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wertle
    bengonzalez -- I found that it really helped to prop up my sketchbook and draw holding my pencil like I would hold a piece of chalk, with the sketchbook about arms' length away. I knew it was forcing me to draw with my whole arm, because my shoulder was quite sore afterwards Give it a try!

I need to get an easel for starting some paintings anyway, but I could use one to try and do sketches in this manner more often.
    What do you use to prop up your sketchbook wertle? that seems like a good idea.

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh I just have my work table pushed up against the wall, so I was able to prop it against the wall and still reach it across my work surface (secured by various items I had lying around shoved up against the base). Then I propped the book page I was working from up next to it. I really would rather have an easel, though.

Meanwhile, dragon updates, I sketchied in a background idea.

I referenced the background from a photo I took while in Japan this summer, which can be found here: http://www.wertle.com/personal/image...fujicaves1.jpg

The white streaks are on a different layer, and they are just guides to give me ideas about where patchy lighting might fall.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Always nice lookin at others work keep it up

GAGart[

Trifles go to make perfection, And perfection is no trifle.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53357

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.