Painter interface doesn't look like other Corel programs

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Painter interface doesn't look like other Corel programs

Hey, the Painter interface doesn't really look like other Corel programs, like Corel Draw or Photopaint.

Did Corel buy Painter from someone else?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep.

Painter was invented by Mark Zimmer, developed by Mark, Tom Hedges, and John Derry, and first released by Mark's company Fractal Design in California, in 1991.

Painter 1 (1991) through Painter 5 (1997) were released by Fractal Design.

Fractal Design merged with another company and became Metacreations and Metacreations Painter 6 was released in late 1999.

Corel bought Painter, Bryce, and KPT from Metacreations in Spring 2000 and Corel released the Painter 6.1 patch.

Mark Zimmer, Tom Hedges, and John Derry formed their own company and contracted to work with Corel to complete development of Painter 7 (already begun at Metacreations).

John Derry continued working with Corel during development of Painter 8 and, I believe, also Painter IX. I know he's involved with Painter still as we see him on the Corel Painter IX website and in the Corel Painter IX newsletter, The Painter Canvas with is bio and articles and other words of Painter wisdom.

So you see, Painter never was designed to look like other Corel products. It was around a long time before Corel came on the scene.

We who have used and loved Painter for many years weren't so sure at first what would become of our beloved Painter when Metacreations decided to sell their graphics programs.

I'm happy to say, though, we're all relieved that Corel has worked hard to continue supporting and improving Painter and Painter IX is the best version ever.

So that's..... the rest of the story! (So far, that is.)

Jinny

Last edited by Jin; March 13th, 2005 at 06:20 AM.
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow thanks thats some great info Jin!
    Thank you for taking the time to write and answer, I truly appreciate it (ack misspelling).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

You're welcome.

If you're interested, there's some more on my website, including an article named "Of Pianos and Oranges" by John Derry and a fascinating "April 1996 Radio Interview with Painter's Inventor, Mark Zimmer by Max Schoenherr":

Painter's History

It's far from the complete story of this most interesting software, and there's more to be read on the Corel Painter IX website and in the Corel Painter IX newsletter "The Painter Canvas".

Jinny

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.