Art: Hunter S Thompson...

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Hunter S Thompson...

On my forty plus minute commute home I'm listening to the Butthole Surfers, and they're going on about the freak nation, which gets me thinking of Hunter S. Thompson. I decided I'd do an art piece of Hunter since I was a big fan of his. This is odd because I usually don't do art like that. Unfortunately I have a ton of work to do once I get home.

So I'm working late at home on art for Guild Wars. I've been working on it for a few hours. I can't shake the need for doing that pic. So I first sketch the flying Hunter skull Steadman introduced a long time ago. I don't like it, so I turn the layer off. Then I begin sketching Hunter in his later years on a new layer. It sucks too. As I get ready to close the image I turn on both layers for a quick look. The skull overlays Hunters head almost perfectly. Something about it kind of works. I spend the next thirty minutes on it. Not the best (far less than he deserved), but done enough for now.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    This is a scary pic, Doug! But in a good way! It's got that flipped out trippy quality. It's great when something cool and unexpected happens in your art.

Thanks
    is that clint eastwood? it's pretty neat

Thanks
    I really like this... especially the darkness and the brush strokes... and the hot ash on the cigarette...

My only crit would be the text. I don't think the font necessarily suits the image. It's too clean and neat. And i think it'd probably sit better on the image rather than in a border. Maybe a similar font but hand painted? (and not particularly neat?)

But it's a cool image...

Thanks
    I am really impressed with this pic, I espetialy love the burning ash. I is unfortunate that Hunter passed away resently, I am a big fan of his work. The only thing that need to be added to the pic is a flying manta ray in the background (just kidding). By the way what kind of work are you doing for guild wars ? I am a big fan of the GW and just wondering what kind of stuff ya got.

Thanks

Thanks
    Poshspice-Hey thanks. I love those happy accidents. It's still not a great pic, nut I like some of the things that happened in it.

mecos-sigh... No it's suppoesed to be Hunter S Thompson. I distorted the original line art of hhis real face to match the skull...now it does have an Eastwood appearance. Thanks.

duddlebug-Thanks. Yeah, I originally tried to hand write the type but couldn't get it to work. Plus I wanted to go to bed.

dark_wraith-Hey thanks. I'm doing concepts mainly for creatures, but a few NPC's and also lot of icon art. It's a great place to work, and a really fun game. Hopefully once it ships I'll be able to post a bunch of art from it. There's hundreds and hundreds of pieces I've done for the game.

Thanks
    awesome doug, awesome.

Thanks
    oh that is just too damn wicked. You rock Doug.

Thanks

Gonzo

I think the image is a little dark, and yah, the font doesn't match too well. But I love the subject matter. I'd love to see more images of Hunter S. Thompson; done maybe in a Ralph Steadman style. That'd be cool.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.