Art: Some sort of jet bike (I want one!)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some sort of jet bike (I want one!)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm..I think if you were to ride this, you'd be one unhappy customer. From a design point it's lacking:

-A place to put your feet
    -A seat designed to compensate for forward thrust
    -A windshield (very necessary if you're going fast enough to "fly")
    -Any way to maneuver it (the verticle fin has no flaps, and there are no horizontal fins at all, which in addition would cause the bike to roll uncontrollably.)

In addition, proximity of the engine to where your legs would be, with no shielding, means that blistered knees are also a concern.

It's an ok start, but it's still got a long way to go, as far as a design goes. Keep at it!

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I know, but there are slots for the exhaust on the fin thingy, controlled by the handlebars

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the problem there is the placement of the "jet engine" in relation to the exhaust vents you placed. The engine's exit point is at the far left side of the silver engine body down below, while the exhaust vents are on another piece entirely, serving no actual function.

I think for it to be more of a solid design, the engine body needs a bit more protective housing so the rider keeps their skin from burning off. Maybe more of a swept design instead of the bare-bones functionality shape it has now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah I know, I don't really know the anatomy of a jet engine, I just drew what looked right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's another one, it's got the same engine, but it's got fins, rudders and pins for your feet

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ummmm....

Not to pull your pants off or anything but um.....
    This is even from THIS section. Give credit to this guy
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35983
    His stuff was so good I remembered it. I'm not doing this to bust yer balls but more as a heads up so as you don't really piss someone off....
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31861

On the art side, try to get away from profiles unless you're doing a model sheet or a design comparison. And learn your subjuct matter, if you're doing a jet engine you should understand its "anatomy".
    I just posted a plane here and an aeronautics engineer hammered it with good reason and insight, and I consider myself rather compitent with avionics and flight dynamics.
    I'm bringing these things to your attention because I think you need to hear it, not to hammer on you. Keep up the work and keep that art inspiration thing in mind. I hop to see more from you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i dont really see that many similarities...

as for the image, it is rather boring. mainly due to the side on profile view. also the colours are pretty muddy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To me, these look like a gas tank on a metal cylinder, I mean these look flat due to their perspective, but mainly what im trying to get at is they dont look like jet bikes, the engine doesnt really look like an engine, you should make it larger, and on the second one, to me the handle bars look like there only about 8 inches from the peddles meaning you have to be in a pretty akward position to ride it, plus they seem to close the the seat meaning you have to bend your knees, which to me seems even more awkward. You could really fix these both by redrawing them at a 3/4 angle and make some proportion changes and add a more realistic looking engine and this would be really cool, so keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's true actually, I was inspired by MC Barret, and I apologize for not giving him credit.

Thanks for the input, I know they're kinda boring with the plain side view but I got carried away after doing the sketch, it wasn't really supposed to be anything more than that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel the jet engine needs some work. As someone suggested its helpfull to know what bits the engine is made up of so I drew up this little schematic on how jet engines work (or in this case, a pulse jet engine, like the one that powered the V2 rocket).

Basically air gets rammed into the air intake by the super, or turbocharger increasing its pressure many times. As the air gets past the reed valve it opens and lets the air through, at the same time gas or fuel (liquid or gas) is sprayed into the combustion chamber through a nozzle inside the combustion chamber. In the next instance a sparkplug is used (only once since after that it will be self sustaining) to ignite the mixture and start the engine. The pressure increases pretty heavily inside the chamber, causing the reed valve to close and making the hot air and gasses escape through the exhaust tube, thus creating thrust. Now the machine should be self sustaining, causing a chain reaction explosion that propels the vehicle forward. A jet engine is most of the time nothing but correctly directed series of explosions. Outside the combustion chamber there is most often some kind of a cooling system. Pipes with water or even alcohol have been used. (A type of alcohol is used to cool down the harrier, I've heard). Which could be used to provide more energy elsewhere since the cooling system becomes little more than a glorified steam engine.

Of course there are other types of jets, like a ramjet (which can only be used at high speeds, not to take off) solid fuel rockets (which can not be stopped when started) and other types. The one above is the most common.

Simple, eh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for breaking it down like that Talmir, much easier to understand when you explain it like that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Google is always a good recource for your engine diagrams and such. I suggest when drawing something you know nothing about, to use alot of refrence.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.