Riddick:Escape from butcher bay
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Riddick:Escape from butcher bay

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Riddick:Escape from butcher bay

I just bought this game and beat it, great game with a great mix of gamplay elements. and not to mention, the graphics were twice as better thand doom 3's graphics, seriously. not only that it ran even smoother than doom3. this game is a must buy, just like PC gamer and CGW said. not only the graphics are good, the story is damn good, this riddick character and the whole setting is just damn right awesome. this game is more like a movie, it is so cinematic and movieish that you feel like your right in that movie. the pc version is much more worth it than the cheap xbox version, not to mention plenty to unlock and making of videos and developer's commentary. the game is alot of fun and very tense.

So let me get straight to the gameplay...think of it as a mix of metal gear solid and doom3. mixed very well together. notice the games engine may be identical to the one in doom3, but it is totally different and it's a completely original engine.

In this game you can do all sorts of melee moves, you can counter a prison guard wacking you with a guna nd make him shoot himself, which is fucking awesome. you cal also break some dudes neck by going up behind him, you can maneuver through levels in all sorts of ways, walk right through the door and confront your enemy, take the vents and attack them from behind, OR shoot out the lights and switch to your eyeshine vision and kill them all in the dark while they cant see you (some guards will most likely have flashlights).

GOD, the graphics are so fucking rich! other than that, there is alot of intereactivity with the NPCs and robots and computers and toilets, etc. so yeah...also all the weapons in the game are failry good, some are inaccurate as hell, i mean just shoot 80 bullets at some dude and only 5 of them will hit him, so you mostly likely have to get in their face and shoot them point-blank range. my favorite weapon was the tranq gun, just shock the dude and then run up to him and stomp him with your feet to DEATH! in this game, i heartily encourage you to be as creative and evil as you can when you intend to kill someone, that's the fun part.

The cutscenes are all very nicely done, great physics and motion captured animations, amke the game have a very dramatic feel. note that there are two parts in the game where the cutsenes just don't work properly, i know it's a really bad glitch that pisses me off, i hate missing a good cutscene. so yeah, i think this game is impressive, very impressive. if i were reviewing this game for a magazine i'd give it a 95% or 4 stars or a 9.5. this game is very well done so far, it relates to pitch black and chronicles of riddick the movies very well.

Vin Diesel voices and stars in the game, in my opinion he plays the character perfectly. if you like a good game wiht a hybrid of RPG, FPS, and stealth action...YOU WILL GO TO YOUR NEAREST GAMESTOP OR EBGAMES STORE AND SLAP DOWN 40 BUCKS AND TAKE THIS GAME HOME AND INSTALL THIS INTO YOUR COMPUTER! Thank you for reading this

Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since I do not own a computer (Yes, honestly) I'll pass. I have however played through the Xbox version. Which was ok. It got better but it bugged me quite a bit aswell. Sure, it's visually breathtaking, but the controls were not easy to get a grasp of. Secondly, the mix of stealth and gunswinging action was troublesome, you can't choose it all the way. Thirdly, the loading times were an ass in the beginning, where you walk quite alot back and forth to pursue your "missions". The storyline was good, with enough twists and turns to make you want to unsee Wild Things and see it again. Vin Diesel might not be a great actor. Maybe not even an actor. But he can deliver completely ludicrous replies in that ego-macho way formely only Ahnold could (still Ahnold rocks his socks off). The violence is harsch, and sometimes daft, but it got me a sore feeling in my stomach which I like. I don't like pointless mayhem and random killing sprees. Now, people die like flies, and you knock of plenty of them, but I don't feel good about knocking the life out of that poor sob, cause honestly, he didn't even stand a frigging chance against my 4 squares of health. But on the other hand, when some god forsaken nutjob keep on fudging my plans and life meter, it feels hella nice to bend the gun up beneath their chin. It feels hella nice to stomp the crap out of them. "Like that? Well have some more you god dam bastard!" And nothing beats the sheer bliss of gunning down a mechguard from behind, grabbing the minigun, and go mayhem on their sorry asses.

And the game is made in Sweden, so that gets the patriotism going, and I don't even like my country particulary. But still, it has it's flaws, atleast in the Xbox version. The start is really slow, the loading times a huge letdown, cause when you die for the 13th time, it's not that cool to see the loading screen tick away. I miss Halo's wondrous checkpoint system, and loading times about equalent to a sneeze. And for crying out loud, can you turn of that m-fudging meny system. Yeah, it was cool the first 4 times I saw the mother of postnuklear-rubix-cube-of-doom flipping away, but must I see it flip EVERYTIME I ACCESS THE MENUS!!

Just my .02
    I give 3 out of 5

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NAw the graphics aren't really as good as Doom3 or HL2....but I agree with the rest of what you say though

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Oblio is offline Pointless. 1st CA student. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by darth massacre
    NAw the graphics aren't really as good as Doom3 or HL2....but I agree with the rest of what you say though
    neah - played on a real computer (soft shadows and all) they're far better. Meaning enough variety, great detail, nice color balance and all. I remember looking at some characters going all around them for minutes. Some not so great parts here and there but i would take that to Doom3 or HL2 anytime. My 2 cents.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ma2
    Since I do not own a computer (Yes, honestly) I'll pass. I have however played through the Xbox version. Which was ok. It got better but it bugged me quite a bit aswell. Sure, it's visually breathtaking, but the controls were not easy to get a grasp of. Secondly, the mix of stealth and gunswinging action was troublesome, you can't choose it all the way. Thirdly, the loading times were an ass in the beginning, where you walk quite alot back and forth to pursue your "missions". The storyline was good, with enough twists and turns to make you want to unsee Wild Things and see it again. Vin Diesel might not be a great actor. Maybe not even an actor. But he can deliver completely ludicrous replies in that ego-macho way formely only Ahnold could (still Ahnold rocks his socks off). The violence is harsch, and sometimes daft, but it got me a sore feeling in my stomach which I like. I don't like pointless mayhem and random killing sprees. Now, people die like flies, and you knock of plenty of them, but I don't feel good about knocking the life out of that poor sob, cause honestly, he didn't even stand a frigging chance against my 4 squares of health. But on the other hand, when some god forsaken nutjob keep on fudging my plans and life meter, it feels hella nice to bend the gun up beneath their chin. It feels hella nice to stomp the crap out of them. "Like that? Well have some more you god dam bastard!" And nothing beats the sheer bliss of gunning down a mechguard from behind, grabbing the minigun, and go mayhem on their sorry asses.

And the game is made in Sweden, so that gets the patriotism going, and I don't even like my country particulary. But still, it has it's flaws, atleast in the Xbox version. The start is really slow, the loading times a huge letdown, cause when you die for the 13th time, it's not that cool to see the loading screen tick away. I miss Halo's wondrous checkpoint system, and loading times about equalent to a sneeze. And for crying out loud, can you turn of that m-fudging meny system. Yeah, it was cool the first 4 times I saw the mother of postnuklear-rubix-cube-of-doom flipping away, but must I see it flip EVERYTIME I ACCESS THE MENUS!!

Just my .02
    I give 3 out of 5

the loading times on the pc version are far much faster, if you have good parts. the game is great on PC, xbox made it crappy.

Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude, you need to have your eyes checked...seriously YOU NEED TO SEE AN EYE DOCTOR. anyway, from what i mean good graphics, i'm talking about high res textures in riddick. the textures in doom3 are really low res and all blury, i recently found out that they used textures the same resolution as textures in quake3. half-life2 has great graphical environments, but the textures a still alittle bit low res. from what i see in riddick, the textures are extremely sharp and and very detailed. Also there are alot of extra mapping involved such as paralax mapping and spectral mappping. this paralax mapping makes the the textures appear far more 3-Dimensional and realistic.
    doom3 doesn't have parallax mapping, but you can get a user created mod that has a bunch of updated textures, but the change in appearance is minimal. still, riddick is better looking than doom 3, but not as life-like as HL2. still developers tend to make their models look like plastic or waxy. but so far, this game does look better and runs perfectly on my PC...here are the specs, AMD Athlon XP +2500 1.8ghz, Radeon 9800 Pro w/ 256mb of ram, 1gb of DDR 400, MSI K7N2 Deluxe mobo with integrated Nforce 2 chipset. this game ran much better than doom3, and doom3 still lags like hell and i feel the game still needed work. since some of you mentioned loading times, this game loaded each level in less than a minute, obviously it's the Xbox that slows it all down.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan
    dude, you need to have your eyes checked...seriously YOU NEED TO SEE AN EYE DOCTOR.
    I didn't say it was bad, I just thought the graphical aspect of the game didn't impress me that much. Geez relax dude...

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have this game for xbox. I put it on my Modded boxes HD actually(yes I own the actual game. Anyways with this game on the HD of the xbox my load times are about 7 seconds if that. The game is pretty good. I dont see the point in me getting the PC version since I played through the XBox and I like sitting on my couch to play games not infront of my comp for some reason. Except for a game of HL2 or Old ass Starcraft. The game is one of the better looking xbox games though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Strife25
    I have this game for xbox. I put it on my Modded boxes HD actually(yes I own the actual game. Anyways with this game on the HD of the xbox my load times are about 7 seconds if that. The game is pretty good. I dont see the point in me getting the PC version since I played through the XBox and I like sitting on my couch to play games not infront of my comp for some reason. Except for a game of HL2 or Old ass Starcraft. The game is one of the better looking xbox games though.
    yeah, that and Halo2 actually brought out the full potential of the XBOX.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't say it was bad, I just thought the graphical aspect of the game didn't impress me that much. Geez relax dude...
    well, it kinda made me feel like you didn't closely look at the two games.
    i think you just glanced at riddick and didn't really play it, have you played it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought the graphics were MORE than adequate. I really thought they brought in some interesting angles and made playing it a lot of fun.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.