Favorite Palette Display?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Favorite Palette Display?

Can anyone post a screen shot of how they set up all their Painter Palettes? Mine is real messy and through the course of one painting session I often have to shift them around. Also, I can't maintain the canvas very well too. The palettes often obstruct the scroll bars so when I want to scroll down the pic I have to move the palettes from the scroll bar. How do you guys set up your work area? I'm looking for the most efficient way to manage thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I second that emotion! NOTE* I have dual monitors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There was something like this at IDD. A few of the screenshots are now missing though, as the topic was started started some time ago;

Click here

David

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just got painter and I have no idea what you guys are talking about

Perfect Kay

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Kay,

When you launch Painter, you will probably see most of your monitor fill up with palettes (Art Materials palette, Objects palette, Brush controls palette, Tools palette, Brushes palette, Controls palette etc.) These palettes, although often useful and necessary can occupy so much of the screen that there may be only a very small area left to display the working canvas. It may even be necessary to have some of the palettes obscuring some of the canvas area depending on the size of your monitor.

Obviously from a painting point of view it is desirable to have as few palettes open as possible, or at least to contract some of the palette sections and expand them only when needed. It is also possible to hide specific palettes or toggle them on and off with certain keyboard combinations. You can also save your own custom palette layouts and even make your own custom palettes.

There is no quick fix, as it is really down to experience and knowledge of Painter, which will only come after a period of time using and learning the application. After a while, you will know what palettes and palette sections you will need open for the particular project you are working on, but there will inevitably be a trade off between palette space and canvas space (unless you are lucky enough to have two monitors and have your canvas on one and palettes on the other).

David

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot SandMan!! I thought painter would be more difficult to use but its acutally pretty easy once I get the hang of, maybe I don't know some tools but I'll figure it out!! now its all about hand control with the mouse for me, maybe a tablet might make it easier

Perfect Kay

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

I'm currently teaching a three month series of online Painter 7 classes at http://www.tutoralley.com

The first class in the series was Painter 7 Interface - Palettes and it covered:

The Painter Interface and Using Palettes
    Keystroke Shortcuts
    Managing Palette Layouts
    Creating Custom Palettes
    Designing Your Own Workspace
    Two extra Lessons on other areas of Painter 7.

If anyone is interested, let me know and I can teach that class and the second one, Painter 7 Intro to Brushes - Brush Management before June when I will probably repeat the three month series.

David's right. There's no magic formula that works for everyone. Once you know how to make the most of Painter's interface, though, you can have any number of arrangements to call up as needed. It really can be a lot easier than it looks at first.

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks David, that link was very helpful. I also found a link on that site to another forum that was HUGE. I'm sure you've heard of Sijun-that place is dy-na-mite.

Jin-I don't understand what you are offering. Is this like a live chat tutorial or some kind of streaming video? I'd like more information please. Thanks.

bathgate66

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by Bathgate66
    Thanks David, that link was very helpful. I also found a link on that site to another forum that was HUGE. I'm sure you've heard of Sijun-that place is dy-na-mite.

Jin-I don't understand what you are offering. Is this like a live chat tutorial or some kind of streaming video? I'd like more information please. Thanks.

bathgate66
    Yep, Sijun is an excellent forum too

I can whole heartedly recommend Jin's Painter courses. Unfortunately I missed the one which covered Painter palettes, but have completed the Painter 7 intro. to brushes and brush management, and am currently doing Jin's course on layers and other objects.

Jin's coursework is very well planned and illustrated in a way that a complete beginner can easily follow. What I also like is the fact that the technical bits are covered first at the beginning of the week, and then by mid week it's fun time, as practical projects are set which build upon the theory covered at the start. The lessons can easily be fitted around a busy work schedule, so you can work on them in the evenings at your own pace. Jin is always around to answer any questions too.

The best bet is to e-mail Jin for further details if you are interested in the courses;
    jinbrown@pixelalley.com

David

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by Bathgate66

bathgate66
    Hi,

My classes are held at http://www.tutoralley.com in private class forums. It's a message board, so students can come and go, post questions and comments, and participate when it's convenient. I check in at least twice a day to respond to messages and make myself available more if people need more attention.

The public forums are open to all registered members and they're welcome to participate.

One of the public forums has a list of threads describing classes that are currently open for enrollment, with schedules and fee information, along with instructions for enrolling.

You're most welcome to register at TutorAlley Forums and read the information on classes still open for enrollment in this three month series that began on February 1st and ends on April 27th. Classes can be taken individually and I'll be teaching the entire series again in the next few months. We'll also have other classes added in the future, and possibly weekend workshops as well, covering specific areas of interest.

Hope to see you there, and thanks for your interest.

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by sandman

Yep, Sijun is an excellent forum too

I can whole heartedly recommend Jin's Painter courses. Unfortunately I missed the one which covered Painter palettes, but have completed the Painter 7 intro. to brushes and brush management, and am currently doing Jin's course on layers and other objects.

Jin's coursework is very well planned and illustrated in a way that a complete beginner can easily follow. What I also like is the fact that the technical bits are covered first at the beginning of the week, and then by mid week it's fun time, as practical projects are set which build upon the theory covered at the start. The lessons can easily be fitted around a busy work schedule, so you can work on them in the evenings at your own pace. Jin is always around to answer any questions too.

The best bet is to e-mail Jin for further details if you are interested in the courses;
    jinbrown@pixelalley.com

David
    Hi David,

Thanks so much for the kind words about my classes. I'm glad you're enjoying them and finding the materials helpful and easy to follow. It's always nice to get this kind of feedback and I appreciate it very much.

As mentioned in my previous message, I'll be teaching the three month series again in the next few months, so you'll get another chance to take the Painter Interface - Palettes class if you want to.

Thanks again,

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by Jin

Hi David,

Thanks so much for the kind words about my classes. I'm glad you're enjoying them and finding the materials helpful and easy to follow. It's always nice to get this kind of feedback and I appreciate it very much.

As mentioned in my previous message, I'll be teaching the three month series again in the next few months, so you'll get another chance to take the Painter Interface - Palettes class if you want to.

Thanks again,
    Hi Jin,

I definitely look forward to the Painter Interface-Palettes class

David

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.