Sketchbook: glöggens sketchbook.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: glöggens sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

glöggens sketchbook.

Okay, so this would be where I upload stuff from my sketchbook then

I want to evolve as much as possible so please don't hold back on your c&c guys!

The thing is that the stuff that I do from the top of my head always come out real shitty, so I thought I would start to draw stuff from life and from reference photos. Is that an ok way to go?

This is from a photo. Got kinda tired after a while, I think the problem with this one is that I outlined too much stuff from the beginning...
    glöggens sketchbook.

A shot at doing buildings, from a photo. I made a couple of boxes with ruler, rest is free hand.
    glöggens sketchbook.

Here I did a car from reference. The penciled sketch was alot better, but for some reason I thought it was important to destroy it by inking it...
    glöggens sketchbook.

This is the last crumbs of coffee, drew it while it was sitting on my desk. I have bought more now, so don't worry, I'll be posting more caffeine-fuelled drawings
    glöggens sketchbook.

Here I wanted to practice doing rocks since the ones I do from mind suck hard. From a reference photo.
    glöggens sketchbook.

This is a dude that is speared. Made from the top of my head and a desire to murder my new .2 ink pen.
    glöggens sketchbook.

This is an old bag that I keep my drawing stuff in. Kinda old, made it about a year ago. Maybe it's dumb to post old sketches? Sketched from life.
    glöggens sketchbook.

This one also made from a reference pic. I kinda grew tired on the fur.
    glöggens sketchbook.

With all these except for the speared dude I start out trying to get the proportions down on paper and then trying to shade it approximately the way it looks on the photo. After a little while I grow tired of doing exactly after the reference so I start to shade it kinda like I feel. I dunno if that's good or bad.

I thank you in advance for any crits you might have, and I look forward to keeping the sketchbook here and hope to make some progress

/Joel

Last edited by glögg; March 21st, 2005 at 08:17 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fina bilder.
    Den 1a bilden var den bästa, där har du verkligen fått till perspektivet.
    Det som jag tror du ska träna på är skugga, och linjerna, som inte alltid känns helt säkra.

-Den som bugar sig för lågt blir trampad i nacken-

Sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...199#post422199

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    En tacker för svaret

Japp, linjerna har jag problem med, svårt att dra en enda som hamnar där man vill ha den. Kanske borde göra lite såna övningar där man drar en massa raka linjer o sånt?
    Är det nåt speciellt du tänker på vad gäller skuggningarna?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Glögg,

Very good start, drawing from reference is a very good way to learn, just try to understand what it is what you are drawing, what the light is doing, perspective and stuff.
    Also drawing from life is a great way to train your observational skills.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply!
    Yeah, I will try and think about what it is I am drawing and why stuff looks the way they do. It's easy to forget sometimes :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    U have fine drawing hand!
    I never could do something like that formline abstract thingy...
    oh i become old with my trembling hand!

ok, try to avoid smearing if you do not use it consequently.
    Mhh..just stop it for the moment!

I really like the locomotive, good shading IMO, well just keep it on!

-Xaya

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply, you are absolutely right in what you are saying. The smearing actually happened as an accident with the bear and I have no idea on how to stop it from happening. I try to sketch from left to right but that sucks, I always want to come back and do stuff on the left so then my hand/wrist smears what I did to the right
    I can use a paper if it's something big I am doing that I know will take time, but it feels kinda silly to have an extra loose paper between my hand and the sketch if I am just sitting around doodling. How do you guys do? No contact hand-paper at all?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello

very good start, especially the train, u have done good efforts /

NOW .....

GO TO PRACTICE !!!! GGRRRRRRR

u should concentrate on proportions (in tried, that's frustrating but after ... it's less frustrating)

good luck

keep posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay so this is from today and yesterday night then.

This is where I thought I should practice some shading. Seems like I have to do that more. From pic
    glöggens sketchbook.

Another shading practice, it's from a close up photo I took of a couple of bananas. If I still had had them I would have drawn them from life
    Dunno why I added that damn blue stuff. Wont happen again...
    glöggens sketchbook.

Got tired of drawing from photos so I drew my left hand a few times. I think I will keep on doing that. Easy to light it differently and practice shading as well.
    glöggens sketchbook.

I say thank you in advance if there is any c&c

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No comment!

proportions are very good, u have the good to draw hands/

good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Howdy!

That last car you posted is badass! I really liked your rock study you did of the ocean front environment, really awesome, and very panoramic!

I think aside from some ellipses looking a little odd on the train sketch, you should fix them and finish that piece because it looks great so far!

You've posted a lot of objects and still life, and they're very good! Have you by any chance studied anatomy or done life/figure drawings?

Very good work, post something new!

Ian

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zou: thanks, I try my best!

IanE: Thanks for the comment, and yes you are absolutely right about the ellipses, I never bothered to frame them and so on, and my freehand ones could use some brushing up
    Well, i've gone to figure drawing like five times or something that was arranged by my school. The problem is that I can't take any nude classes on other schools in the area because I kind of know one of the models and it would feel weird. I try and draw stuff that I see around me, but lately it has been alot of photos, unfortunately

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello glogg

waiting for your updates

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tjena glögg

Jag är svensk men det kanske är mer uppskattat att skriva på engelska.

I saw your profile when checking out Hurris sketchbook, I like your work, Im about to start a own sketchbook soon, azap. Just have to get courage enaough =)

Do you study in a art school today, in that case which one?

P.S Kul med svenskar här med samma intresse.
    D.S Representing gothenburg =D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work so far. your style is nice

i'd suggest you give more importance to perspective before getting into shading. because your perspective seems to need more work as far as i see.
    especially the ellipses as you've already been told

drawing from life is the best way to improve your visual memory and observation skills; which in turn makes your "from mind" drawings more realistic. so keep up

ender coşkun
    my old sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zou and everybody else: Sorry about not posting for so long, but I have been busy at school. I am working with a technical drawing of a toy humvee right now, maybe i'll post it here when its done

Yoonjin: Not really an art school, it's called "Informativ illustration". It's more about technical drawings and the way we see instruction-pictures and stuff. I kinda need to do crap like this just so I don't have to use a ruler
    Götebörg, gött mos! Representing Kristinehamn, värmland här då

e n d e r: Thanks for the comments, I love your sketchbook! The thing is that I have the knowledge of how to do the perspective, but I have problems getting it right without a ruler. Maybe I shouldn't rush my sketches so much and try and get the perspective right first?

allright, here's some new stuff, I think they might be in too low resolution though, I think the other ones are too big, but maybe this is a bit low on quality. ah well.

This is the bus station in Örebro where I waited for twenty minutes and made this. First loose pencil then quick inking.
    glöggens sketchbook.

This I made for drah'n time. Kinda silly. I never draw people or animals otherwise, I thought maybe I should start so I got some Bridgman books yesterday. Drifting off the subject now I see.
    glöggens sketchbook.

This is the "folkpark" in Kristinehamn which they will tear down soon. A real shame. Pen.
    glöggens sketchbook.

Here I was sitting in the bus. Pen.
    glöggens sketchbook.

A coffeegrinder that we had in our classroom. Pencil
    glöggens sketchbook.

This is what it looks like at my girlfriend's parents' (maybe I could have squeezed in a few more apostrophes there?) place when you're sitting in the living room. Btw, it's not my leg Pen.
    glöggens sketchbook.

This is actually a stump of a tree burning, but it's really hard to see... Those black things in the middle are rocks. Pen.
    glöggens sketchbook.

Thanks for checking in, I look forward to your comments

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello

good to see your works again,

you reaaly catch proportions exactely !

i like how u make texture on your pen drawing, that's really realistic. Did u read glenn's manual or something else (i wanna the tricks

the coffegrinder is also awesome (with texture) that's luxury man !

good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Yeah!

The last picture is really neat. Im gonna put up my own sketchthread so you can watch my progress aswerll, I have beenworking my ass of to make the worksamples for HDK. On Tisdag Im free"!!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    three words for you: You're real good!

(is that technically four words?)

=)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zou: Thanks for the nice comments! What is Glenn's manual? No I haven't had any like training or anything when it comes to the texturing, I just try and do my best to make it as much like the thing I see as I can. I would like to stop doing it like I do now though, and do more crosshatching, that's really neat if it's well done I think.

Yoonjin: Ahh, HDK... i was into that for a while as well, I went to a folkhögskola last year, and the spring was like hysterical with all those samples you had to make to schools. I applied for konstfack though, I am more into 2D-stuff so I didnt think HDK would fit me very well. Looking forward to seeing your sketches!

Wes: Thanks as hell man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok so here's a new little update. The first pic here isn't really a sketch since it took quite a while to complete, I just wanted to share it anyway
    It's a toy humvee i did for an assignment in school where we were supposed to practice cutaways and ghosting. Everything kinda looks like it does in real life with the cogwheels and all, only difference is that I drew those really bad.
    glöggens sketchbook.

Don't ask me what this is, I doodled this while watching (listening to?) Monsters Inc.
    glöggens sketchbook.

This is detail sketches on a steam engine I am supposed to do for school, it's supposed to show how it works. I think it will turn out ok, kinda hard to see where it's going when you're looking at this sketch...
    glöggens sketchbook.

This is a cow made from photo reference. I have discovered that the problem with all the stuff I do from photo is that it's so flat. I will try to work more with contrast and see if it gets better then.
    glöggens sketchbook.

This is a drawing of a table we used when we had hotdogs and coffee like two weeks ago or something. Nice.
    glöggens sketchbook.

Ok, I don't know if people in other parts of the world eat this, but it's called blodpudding (no I didn't forget an o, this is how we spell it in swedish). It's made basically from blood and flour and you fry it. It tastes better than it sounds A quick still life, then ate it, then finished off the inking.
    glöggens sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello glogg

you're making good pen and ink drawing, do u use wash ? if so can u tell me more about it.

for the flat effect on some photo, you souldn't worry about it, just go by step:
    visual accuracy is obtained by: correct proportions (contour, form) and depth
    you're already obtaining depth by perspective there is other things of course but thir time will come

"Visual accuracy is correctly transferring visual reality to the drawing surface (fig 2-1).
    Together, they are a drawing. Visual accuracy deals with only two dimensions: height and width.
    Adding depth to an illustration is creating an illusion, which you can master with much desire
    and practice. To achieve visual accuracy you must use self-analysis, a systematic approach, and
    practice."

goto http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14119

this is a head tutorial but it teach you to establish major tones, then establish values relative to those major values.

good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gj on the Hummer=) my favo car=p

The first car u did had som problems with prespective, the far side of the hood felt wrong, the second on was better=)

Designskola? eller vad gick du?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zou: no, I don't use wash. I have a couple of different felt pens ranging from 0,1 to 0,9 but I almost only use like 0,3 for the linework and then a 0,7 for shading and outlines and stuff. I like wash though, only it's kinda difficult to work with. Thanks for the link, I looked at it quickly and it seemed really interesting. I will check it out in-depth when I have the time =)
    Thx for your help and time btw!

berne: yeah, thx you're right about the perspective thing. Jupp, programmet hette form- & design på folkis i hällefors. Nu är det teknisk illustration som gäller. Ha det!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okeydokey here's three new ones from today when it seemed everybody in Sweden were headed my direction, so the buses were full and it was pretty much chaos except for the last 50 kilometers which was when I made the last one. Bear in mind these were done in the bus, so the lines aren't always as steady as you might wish for.

a pretty unoriginal motif. Jack in the box.
    glöggens sketchbook.

at least those bastards were sitting on a bus...
    glöggens sketchbook.

This was the bus I took for the last couple of miles. Not very much people in it. I sat in the middle of the back so if we crashed there would be two pretty exciting last seconds of my life.
    glöggens sketchbook.

thanks for looking, I appreciate any crits and/or comments!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    HI ! so you started one of your own

I'll type in English so everyone will understand

I like your stuff alot, its very traditionally art oriented wich i like

critiques would be to work the entire paper when doing pen stuff because white isnt white until it got black beside it...haha, not entirely correct but you should get the point

so hows that school treating you ? i must come and visit again, especially during this summer...

well, i'll drop by again!

cheers !

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff dude. love to se epeople workin hard at their art.

cool beans to you...my friend.
    sKeTcHbOoK update page3 (scroll to the bottom of page)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.