C.O.W. - #005: Symbiotic predators

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cow C.O.W. - #005: Symbiotic predators

Round #005

Topic:
    Symbiotic predators
    (Symbiotic: a cooperative relationship between 2 or more).

Deadline:

- for any questions or help go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37512

note: The deadline won't be EXACTLY after a week...it can last up to 24 hours more, i am human and have to work also, you know

Post your creature for this week!

Last edited by davi; February 27th, 2005 at 07:48 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    What do you mean?

1. symbiotic creatures of the Predators (from the movies)?
    2. A creature that uses symbotes as prey?
    3. Symbiotes that use other bodies to do it's bidding?

My Sketchbook
    ^keep me going by visiting my sketchbook^

I think you can certainly incorporate schwartzenegger's Predator into your concept if that's what you wanna do, but the topic is referring to an original creature design depicting predatory creatures in a symbiotic relationship. Whether that means a creature that uses symbiotes as prey, or a symbiote doing the other body's bidding, or whatever...that's up to you to decide. The topics of these COWs seem to always be intentionally vague...It's a chance to be creative and for some to not have to take their marching orders from an art director for a change!

Nothing from the movie "Predator" please, forget it!

The topic means two different kind of creatures living symbiotically together...and they are predators, that's all!

lol ok... I was just making sure! I didn't want to draw anything from that movie.

My Sketchbook
    ^keep me going by visiting my sketchbook^

Isnt that a parasite? just curious :-/ not being a smart ass

Im Arif

Hello , this is my firt post, but i have been watching all the activitis in this forum from about a month ^_^, so im glad to be here and etc etc....

Well about symbiosis, well symbiosis means an interaction between two organisms living together ( quite simple really, but moust people undestand symbiosisn from the spider man comics with venom and carnage characters), well symbiosis is much more simple than that, and is much more open than you think as well, theres 3 types of symbiosis

parasitism: when the assosiation is destructive to one of the organisms.

mutualism: the assosiation is good to bouth organisms.

commensalism: when the assositaion is goot to one organism and neutral to the other.

Acording to this, the easyest example of symbiosis is a man and his dog, that intercation can be undestood as all 3 classifications, but it doest count with organims of the same species ^_^.

Well, i hope you find this info ussefull, it would be a shame to make a great drawing and find out it has nothing to do with symbiosis. good luck to you all

I think you should all part of doing good concepts is learning things, so go read a book!
    interpert the subject any way you like, even if it includes the movie predetor.
    so yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsta
    I think you should all part of doing good concepts is learning things, so go read a book!
    interpert the subject any way you like, even if it includes the movie predetor.
    so yeah!
    Yes, reading is important, so READ what i wrote a few posts earlier...you can do an entry with a fucking predator from the movie, but it's actually not the topic!!! So it's not recommended to do this...

some examples, to clarify:

A creature that lives inside, and is a part of, a tree and uses it to disguise itself to passers by, enabling it to be a silent predator.

Another example may be a tick-like parasite that attaches to a dog or wolf and turns it into a rabid, frenzied killing machine.

Technically, symbiotic implies that the creature is *attached* to its relation. However it seems in the context of this topic, that is not necissary. Its a challenging topic, but once you get the meaning of it there are a variety of ideas. Good luck to you all.

So, is it safe to assume that both creatures don't have to be predators? Just so long as the symbiosis is predatory in some nature, right?

- Rockstar Ninja Artist Extraordinaire

correct.

it can be a victim-predator symbiote, a predator-predator symbiote or a predator-host symbiote

Actually as i already said, a simbiote is not nessesariry attached to the host, actually attached simbiotes are the less numerous amoung all the symbiotes, actually it seems nobody saw what i wrote earlier , is incorret to assume that all symbiotes are the same as the venom from spider man, or that all symiotes are like ticks etc, all organism interaction in a constant relationtip in the same place ARE symbiotes, ticks are symbiotes, but also intestinal bacterias, fleas, acares, and humans, and that just for the dog, moust know examples of symbiosis are for example the clown fish and the anemony ( the clown fish hides in the anemony because of the pattern of the scales, and alows the clown fish to ambush smaller fishs, leaving the rest to the anemony, and also protecting it from those small fishs), the moust interesting type of symbiosis is actually the mutualism, casue it works perfect for bouth organisms in that interaction, let imagine ( in this case) that a predator has enought strenght to crush a skull of an animal bigger than he his, but waht happens if his emviroment changes..? lets say his natural pray begins to clim trees, and lets say theres a smaller predator that actually doesnt have his natural pray anymore, but it can climbs trees as well, so this two predators could work toguether to survive, one will handle getting the pray down from the tree, and the other will kill the pray, then bouth will feed from it...

To undestand symbiosis better you may see it as an assosiation with other organisms, in wish one or bouth get what they want, in the case of parasitism only one will get what he wants, and by getting it ill cause harm to the host, but in my opinion that is to boring, is just picking a predator and choose any other animal you want, and make that animal feed or use the other one, is much more interesting to make a symbiosis that works ok for bouth.

but for the purpose of this exercise we need to make sure people wont just draw a shaman with a pet, or a monster and a baby or something. They should be somehow physically, genetically or otherwise 'attached' or 'dependant'.... not necissarily attached.... but the symbiosis SHOULD BE CLEAR and the subject of the painting.

Most importantly the symbiosis should be of a predatory nature... not just two predators who also happen to be symbiotes. The symbiosis should form the basis of their predatory nature.

i think we all get it now? yes? no?

2cents

shamigan that was pretty intresting thx

Ok, everybody should got it now...the main thing is to keep the concept interesting while sticking to the topic...

Hey Fozz,

I was looking at the rules up there and thinking about the whole Predator movie thing, and it occured to me that we may want to include a sub-point specifying only *orignal concepts* along with the new art part. This way, everything is fresh, and no rehashes, unless the C.O.W. specifically calls for it (like redesigning an existing creature character).

Cheers,
    ~Shane

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Lightbulb

It might also be worth noting that the main rules for C.o.W. indicate no humanlike creatures... I'd like to see you try to incorporate the Predator from the movie without breaking that rule... gonna have a Predator helmet attached to a fish or something? Gimme a break

And yeah, as Oregano says... original is good.

I did read what you wrote Fozzy, and there's a difference between not recommended and absolutely no

And there's way too much text in here, now art!

Just a question...

Can you define the meaning of "is"?

Lightbulb "is"

here it is

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

ah cool, i just saw that davi added a note to the topic...thanx davi!

Hamsta, you're right too much talk in here right now...everybody shut up and begin to concentrate on the symbiosis between you and your graphic tablet...

For the love of god forget about the movie "predator", a predator is an animal that hunts and eats other animals, thats it...nothing more

I really think the key words for this one are more than clear

To Oregano

Man, I can't belive you actually took the time to make a link to tell me that definition. I may have to vote for you on this weeks COW just out of thanks now.

Now everyone, get to work!

-Eric

Technically, symbiotic implies that the creature is *attached* to its relation.
    Actually symbiotic implies that the creatures live together. They don't have to be attached at all.

http://www.bumblebee.org/PREDATORS.htm

You guys should take note of what Shamagim wrote, he pretty much wrapped it up.

So many posts. So little drawing!

Fozzy, can you unleash the fury of the Crit COW on the next person to place a non-art post here, please? I believe she saves the blunt end of her totem for procrastinators.

Indeed, i will!

I am massaging her udder right now...

YEH NO MORE TALKING UNLESS U POST AN IMAGE!! Dont make me post WIPs you really dont want that to happen....

symbiotic

The gentle natured Plains Jumper lays its eggs in the burrow nests of the aggressive Grey Split-Tailed Weaver Vole. While carnivorous, PJs are unable to kill their prey, they are far too playful. Send a PJ into the savannah alone and you will find him/her playing karate chop fake out or poker with it's would be dinner. By laying eggs in the Weaver Vole burrow nests the PJ parent ensures it's offspring to bond with a surrogate Weaver Vole parent, who becomes a life partner with the surviving PJ young. Weaver Voles attach themselves to their offspring by rolling grasses into ropes which lash one to the other. In the Weaver Vole PJ partnership the PJ provides quick escape for the Weaver Vole as he/she grows. An awkward three legged race of sorts. The PJ also provides the speed necessary to get close to prey easily. The Weaver Vole naturally secretes a sword-like hair on it's third birthday. It jowels this hair to keep it sharp and constanly coated in reconstuctive fluids, which are also slightly toxic. Pouncing from their hiding place the PJ will often use a wide swinging kick to provide power for the Weaver Vole's sword swing. The Weaver Vole aims for the neck or belly of an animal and with luck a quick clean kill provides the two with dinner. Etiquette on the savannah states that whom ever landed the killing blow eats first. This partnership is a pretty sweet deal for the Weaver Vole, who only invested a short period of rearing time to the PJ.

*edit * Got it working! Many thanks to Doug!

Last edited by coondoggle; March 1st, 2005 at 06:13 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.