C.O.W. - #004: Venomous Bird - VOTING!!! - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your fav! Regarding the topic!

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bretton

3 2.13%
  • Matt Dixon

3 2.13%
  • davi

1 0.71%
  • 0kelvin

1 0.71%
  • fungi

7 4.96%
  • Gloklund

4 2.84%
  • Hanuka

1 0.71%
  • Fozzybar

1 0.71%
  • Tully

3 2.13%
  • Thestral

4 2.84%
  • Scarn

0 0%
  • strych9ine

3 2.13%
  • MoP

1 0.71%
  • Hamsta

0 0%
  • stormeffex

0 0%
  • lukavi

18 12.77%
  • Arri.

27 19.15%
  • Oregano

2 1.42%
  • Dougbot

11 7.80%
  • Sinix

4 2.84%
  • al-x

0 0%
  • cthomp

0 0%
  • Xpose

0 0%
  • leckronium

1 0.71%
  • klinesmoker

0 0%
  • BIG BRUTICUS

0 0%
  • Jull

0 0%
  • Nike

0 0%
  • Helzon

3 2.13%
  • willow-whisp

1 0.71%
  • Sapphire

2 1.42%
  • Form

1 0.71%
  • vigostar

1 0.71%
  • arteric

2 1.42%
  • Stitchface

36 25.53%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: C.O.W. - #004: Venomous Bird - VOTING!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks a lot arteric - even though i picked out those faults too - it brings to light the fact that i need to FIX these things before i post - as jason once told the austin workshopgoers; if you know someone is going to critique something or tell you something need fixing, fix it before they can get you!! Every time you post you should believe there is nothing that can be critted (althought there always should be )

Your critiques are tres appreciated man, thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all of your comments and crits, everyone, I appreciate it. All of this badass competition is going to make me crank it up a notch next round. Watch yo asses.

Lukavi got my vote this round, although it was incredibly tough to pick a favorite. So many notables... Arri, Dixon, Dougbot, Stitchface, Oregano, Helzon, Sinix and more all were excellent. I'll try to find some time to comment on everyone's pieces later.

Quote Originally Posted by Xpose
    I've never been to art schooling or anything like that and I'm only 18. So, as for you saying it could have used more time..... bite me!

Dude, you're lucky you got a comment at all. Lose the ego and try to grow from any comments (positive or negative) you receive here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    arteric: thanks SO much for doing that for everyone! I know I had been a little disappointed about not getting the critiques everyone else was getting, because I always like to know what works for people in my image and what doesn't, so when somebody takes the time to help everybody, it makes me very happy.

I hear you on the rushed thing. The image was rushed, I'm ashamed to admit... I did it in a single day. I'll definitely participate in more of these though, they're right up my alley and I enjoyed making it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretton
    I am very much in agreement with gloklund, thank you very much arteric and oregano!

I think this is by far the best c.o.w. yet and I think C.O.W. is one of the best ca activities yet in my opinion in terms of fantastic artwork put out.

edit:

xpose: You need to learn to take critiques, they can be extremely valuable. As for your excuses, like you I don't have a wacom, but i don't look upon it as an ailment, a wacom doesn't automatically improve the quality of your art. I have only had basic high school art classes and I am only 17. Don't think just because you spent 5 hours on something that automatically makes it finished, many people spend a lot more time than that getting their art to a level that they feel is acceptable. Don't make excuses to defend yourself from his crits, they are all spot on.
    I don't mind critiques.... Oregano gave me a critique and I wasn't offended at all. He just made it seem like I didn't try and I really did. Look at my other stuff and you'll be like wow he did this? so for me it was big step. For me I thought it was acceptable. I wacom tablet thing I said because he was saying how my feathers looked like scribbles... It wasn't really my ego that was hurt. I know I'm not half as good as the people in here. It was my feelings that got hurt because I'm really trying, I really tried on this.

Last edited by Xpose; February 28th, 2005 at 01:23 AM.
    My Sketchbook
    ^keep me going by visiting my sketchbook^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Xpose, we *all* understand trying and working and pouring your soul into your work. We *all* do. And we *all* get shot down sometimes. Brutally. With body fluids splattering the walls and friends and neighbors.

I can promise you, no one here is out to hurt your feelings about your work. It sucks to have someone come along and say "this didn't really work for me" or whatever, but it's going to happen.

I haven't been to art school. I'm almost exclusivley self taught. For myself, this means that I try that much harder than these other guys who've got the stuff going on beause they're getting tuaght by the best. But I *listen* to what they've got to say. No matter how they say it. I've had work that I loved torn to itty bitty shreds by these guys. But after I mope and stop the bleeding, they were right. I'm just grateful they took the time to show me what an idjit I was. Go find my mage thread. Egad. Maybe not...

If someone gives you a crit, no matter how bad it stings, don't say "bite me", because they will and then tear your head off for being a stupid 18 year old. Instead, bite your toungue, listen, and learn what these guys have got to say. Not everyone is going to candy coat it like me

So hang in there bro. Better brutal critiques here than from an Art Director!

Cheers,
    ~S

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brilliant round. Everyone deserves to feel proud of themselves.

Lukavi gets my vote. I liked the style of the illustration and I thought the concept was very creative.

My runners up were Dougbot, Stitchface and Arri. I started writing individual comments, but I don't have time to write anything worthwhile - a big pat on the back for Arteric and Oregano for putting in the effort.

...and you're right, Shane, mine was done quickly. I've had a lot on recently, but these are a lot of fun and I'm going to try and stay 'regular' even if I can only give up an hour or two to participate. Working to a self-imposed deadline is great practise, though - when I have to create character or creature concepts for work, I'm often working with a similar short time frame.

Three cheers for the C.O.W..!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote went to Stitchface. It was gross, imaginative and funny.

Some of my other favourites are:

Helzon: Definitely one of the best and most original concepts. And it looks badass. I'd love to see this painted.

Dougbot: Just looks great. The landscape you described in the description is a great mental image as well.

Lukavi: You came so close to getting my vote. That bird is just so gross. I feel like I need a shower every time I look at it. Great work.

Wish I could c&c them all, but it's late and I'm tired. Maybe next time!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to leave a crit!

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Fozzybar is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote for Gloklund:
    Wonderful idea to mix your previous C.O.W. into the new one! Besides i love the fact, that your little bird actually doesn't look venomous, but is deadly nevertheless...this makes the concept even more believable...

Beautiful rendering Arri., Stitchface, Matt Dixon, davi, fungi:

Extremely interesting and well-thought concept lukavi, arteric, Sapphire, vigostar

Cool design strych9ine, Sinix, Bretton, Helzon

I would love to see a documentary movie about every entry...hell even about every cow-entry at all...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    guess ill have to try harder to impress you next time eh foz
    slavedriver!! im on to your tactics

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stichface, no doubt for me.

but, impressive level in COW !

I'm a manky artist, don't mess with me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just wanted to humbly thank those that made comment on my entry.
    I take your praise as well as your crits(of which I agree with all of them) with an eye toward making the next entry all the better.
    The energy and synergy on this thread are overwhelming....
    Everyone that entered should be proud of the fact that they put themselves out there and let their work be judged. So who's the winner?....I would submit ...the person that walks away with the attitude ...of enhancing their best techniques and improving their faults....and coming back to show the rest of us.
    Ok...I'll stop now...I think I'm starting to sound like a friggin inspirational speaker...and I didn't want to do that...just be appreciative of those who took the time to praise and crit. Here's to the next round ladies and gents! Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guys... Wow. I cannot pick a favorite... The level of quality here, across the board, is astonishing. I wasn't really paying attention to these C.O.W. things but this made me sit up and take notice. This put me in my place. Count me in for next week, because I just got chunked off my high horse and I'm eating dust right now. Great work all.

- Rockstar Ninja Artist Extraordinaire

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dougbot

definatly.

I normally just lurk around and never commet, going from thread to thread admiring everyone's great art in silence. I've browsed through all previous COWs and loved all the great posts. I wanted to post for the venemous bird COW but just let it slip by and didn't finish it.

The reason of my vote:
    Even though I just lurk and never comment, I just had to vote and write this time. I voted for Dougbot, and if I could, I would literally vote ten million times more for him. The artwork is not only outstanding, I love the lighting, composition, design, presentation, but the concept description was what really got to me. When I read it I got chills down my spine. I felt really conected to what you wrote. Your imaginative description of such arid and quiet afterlife scene really touched the dephs of my own soul. It got to me. Its the most moving and brilliant description ever.
    That afterlife scene with the fields of stoned souls is burned into my mind.

IT IS BY FAR THE BEST CONCEPT I HAVE EVER READ IN MY LIFE.

You deserve to win this round. And even if you don't win, know you have truly reached one person.
    Thank you.

Last edited by brokk; February 28th, 2005 at 08:31 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Form
    guess ill have to try harder to impress you next time eh foz
    Don't think i am not watching you, pal!

vigostar is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, it seems like stithface did the do with this entry....! great work!

jull- interesting concept.. I could understand the colors you incorporated with this bird... But, seeing some of your other posts, I think you could have taken this design up another notch or two..!

Nike- I like the fact that you really thought this one through... I also like the way you layed everything out... Creating and explanitory visual for us! Keep up the good work.

Helzon- Im s sucker for inked work, and even though this is great line work, the head of the bird was a bit confusing for me. I look foward to seeing next weeks entry from you.

Willowhisp- I like the pencils... I like the idea.. you seem to have the basic form down properly.. I would however have liked to see some color.. It looks like its unfinished...

Saphire- its great that you participated but, I wish you would have taken more time... I look foward to next weeks entry from you as well..

Form- great idea and technique... gives it a blueprint feel.. Like documents.. good stuff...

Arteric- You have a great nack for these entries.. Vey original and well thought out. a person could tell you took your time and executed it at your best ability.. Next weeks entry should be a treat from you.

Stithface- what can I say about your bird.. It's amazing. Your creatures are truely amazing.. It seems like you put a ton of effort into your work.. I only wish I could color half as good as you!

MOP- the funniest entry out of the whole group!

Hamsta- This looks very rushed... It took me a few times before I realized I was looking at rocks and not bird.. Hopefully, uou spend more time on your entry.. But, your concept is very good..

Stormeffex- Love your colors... Very realistic... Or very believable I should say... Hope you enter this weeks COW!

Lukavi- Great execution, great concept, great staturated colors... Just great work...

Arri- WOW, just WOW.. If I were choosing on best fictional creature, I would have chosen your hands down.. Execellent execution.. I cant wait to see what you have in store this week!

Oregano- Always fun to see what you have created.. Very funny and great concept!

dougbot- Very cool... it looks like the living dead bird...! I would love to have it as a pet!!!! or guard bird!

Sinix- Im a big fan of your work and this time around its no different...

alx- Nice work you put into this entry, I like the penciled rendering...

chomp- I suggest you look at some reference before you do your next entry... And just take your time... You'll be happy you did..! I look foward to seeing next weeks entry from you!

xpose- nice concept with the paralyzing talons...

More to come later on..

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I vote for sapphire because of the pwetty colors and the sketchiness, sometimes rushing can be good for you.

And I admit, there's way too much text for me, so I have no idea what the concepts are

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote goes for stichface, his work really made my laugh.
    And it was really nice done.

Besides that i must say that C.O.W is turning out good, this is the best week this far

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xpose
    I got the look I wanted to achieve... except for the legs and maybe the shadow. As for the feathers I like how it came out. I'm not blessed with a wacom tablet like some people. I make do with a pencil, paper, scanner, and my mouse. I have at least 5 hours in this... I've never been to art schooling or anything like that and I'm only 18. So, as for you saying it could have used more time..... bite me!
    I just logged on and finally saw what everyone was saying about Xpose and his critique. I just wanted to put my 2 cents in.... It was my critique after all. Xpose, I try to give at least some comments to everyone here.... they are meant as constructive and to be helpful.... NEVER is it meant to be personal or an "insult" towards your work. It takes me a load of time to do each week, but I know I appreciate it when others do it for me, and I don't want to leave ANYONE out. I also want to be honest, if I see somethign that doesn't work for me, I tell the artist about it.... I usually think they want to hear these things.The hard fact is that criticism is what concept art is all about, especially when posting them into a contest situation. Again, it was meant as constructive, I am only trying to help people out there like they are helping me.

And as for you comment about lack of materials, they are exactly what I work with.... pencil, paper, a scanner and a mouse... I don't have a drawing tablet either. Also, I put about 15 hours in on this last image... you should see all the versions I DIDN'T go with.... and this is outside of my full time job. No hard feelings, but no excuses either, and I will continue to critique if the artists out there want to hear it..... do you guys want to hear it?

-Eric

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wish I had more time to write, but I ended up voting for Arri, super cool piece. Lots of good ones though. Thanks for all the comments on my pic. It was fun to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arteric
    No hard feelings, but no excuses either, and I will continue to critique if the artists out there want to hear it..... do you guys want to hear it?

I am with arteric...i like to hear comments and crits about my work, that's why i really try to c&c artwork from other members in general, because i think that's what a community is all about...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do want to hear what hear what people think about my work. I like getting critiqued, I guess I just took the wrong way this time. I apologize.

My Sketchbook
    ^keep me going by visiting my sketchbook^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lukavi Image tells the story

For me the best concept is the one that tells a complete story without an explanation, and lukavi does it so marvelously well. The bird is clearly toxic and has poisoned its environment, and the style, oh the style! Has all the line work and color sensibilities of Arthur Rackham. Brilliant Work!

http://home.earthlink.net/~norsemyth...en-us%26sa%3DN

runners up:
    arri: over excellence and gorgeous painting and light quality
    stitchface: over excellence and rendering around eye

Other favs:
    Willow-whisp- line quality
    dixon: style of painting
    fozzybar: detail
    oregano: humor
    strych9ine: style
    tully: color
    gloklund: whimsey
    bretton: mood
    dougbot: detail of painting
    helzon: idea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your vote Fozzy and anyone else who voted for me as well.

I tried to do something that was believable, like it could really exist in our world. I just didn't want to do the typical art that plasters these forums that everyone see's day in and day out. Something a little less obvious.

As for my vote I'm gonna give it to Oregano. Even though His art didn't have the polish that Stitchface's, Lukavi's, Arri's, Dougbots, Matt D's, or Fungi's had I felt his had more heart. It's not the obvious choice I know but he had a concept that I felt was above the others. Oddly enough I can imagine a bird like this with a venomous tongue spewing profanity at the top of its lungs at every near passerby. It's not always about the art, sometimes the story is far more interesting.
    Al-x was a close second.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Arri's. The painting's fantastic, and the bird looks terribly dangerous. Also love Dougbot's (unusual design) and Fozzy's (extremely adorable arrow-poison hummingbird).

...+1 exp

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face No Apology needed

Hey, Xpose.... no apology needed. It is hard in here sometimes to get the jist of what people mean. You can read a lot into things when you cannot hear someones voice inflection. Honestly, any and all critiques I do are simply because artists like to hear other peoples opinions about their work.... and I like to write them. I learn alot about my own art in the process, what I think works and what doesn't. Sometimes there is a lot you don't notice about a piece until you have to write your feelings down and try to explain them to someone else.

I applaud you hard work on this image.... and keep doing just that, it is the only way to get better. Now, it is time to move on to some symbiotic predators!

OK, someone fess up, who voted for me?

-Eric

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much, Hamsta and whoever else voted for me! I feel a tad less lame now...

EDIT: It was such a toss-up between several really amazing pieces, especially Fozzybar and Stitchface... but in the end, Fozzybar's, even though not as detailed, had this really great nature-book feel to it, and every time I see it I get the feeling this little guy could really exist. The colors are those you might find on a dart frog or salamander, and the plant design is great, with its specialized parts. I love the pastels he used. So, even though Stitchface's rendering was my favorite, I had to vote for Fozzy's poison sparkle. I want one!

Last edited by Sapphire; February 28th, 2005 at 10:23 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, wow, most of the time I'm really clueless, but thank you for the compliment, oomgawa. And thanks to everyone who took the time to write a comment and critique. Man, you guys made my day. Three thumbs up to Arteric for his fair and well-balanced review on everyone. He pretty much put to words all the thoughts I had on my entry and everyone else's, And then some. Youre not brutal, but you don't hold back either. I want your baby!

For my vote, I was deciding between Helzon's Hornbill and Stitch's TittyBird. Helzon created a venomous bird and incorporated this week's topic into his ingenious design. So did Stitch, his concept and design was undeniably jaw-dropping. In the end, I voted for Stitchface because I want to take that pocketsized bird to work so I can poison my ugly boss. Brilliant rendering.

I enjoyed everyone's birdies, but the ones that stuck with me the ones by Fozzy (Poison Sparkle)and Sapphire (Posion Moon Jay) <---{they sound like they could be related] for their smart creature-engineering. Going that extra step to make a unique critter with depth and believable functionability (is that even a word?) is not easy.

Simplicity coupled with wit is also a good thing, like the birds by Oregano(That Fucking Bird looks like my jackass cousin), Arteric (Its always a pleasure to see your innovative contributions most of which have a cool backstory , and I noticed you are fond of putting human victims - and soon to be victims, in your pieces), Thestral (Bird on booze, funny), Okelvin (This was too hilarious, your last line, "Perhaps they are just mean." is the killer, man) and MoP(kudos for literally jamming the topic up your bird, and your funny write up). They took the detour and managed to stick to the subject. Love the clever ways you went around the topic which you still somehow met in the middle.

Crazy rendering by Mr. Dixon and (I always look forward to his entries), strych9ine (love the textures and bold colors you used here), Arri and Dougbot (just WOW on the design, especially the heads of the birds!). I wish I could have seen more of the venomous topic for Arri's and Doug's entries though. And for strych9ine, the treatment is great, but i think its not obviously poisonous at first glance, perhaps including the rest of the body would have helped(still very hot work).

This was fun. The entries this week are topnotch! COW rocks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought your entry was well thought out and realistic Sapphire.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a little sumpthin sumpthin for all of you guys. I tried to hit everybody... keep in mind that all of these comments are coming from someone who is legally retarded in the continental US of A, so take them with a grain of salt. And maybe a shot of tequila afterwards.

Bretton
    I'm digging the design and backstory. Painting under the rough linework looks cool here, but I feel that you could of brought some paints on top of the linework as well to really pop the forms. Love the bird beard.

Matt Dixon
    What can I say, always a fan of what you bring to the table. The rendering is badass as usual, it just looks like the bird ate something poisonous instead of being poisonous. Maybe you should just have venom and shit bursting out of his nosri... wait a sec...

Davi
    Cool creature design and rendering. It looks like this dude will have a hell of a time flying though, flappin his arms all sissy like to get anywhere. Other than that he's a badass. Nice piece dude.

0kelvin
    I love how these little shits vomit everywhere and no one really knows why. I can relate to that... I'm thinking that the rendering could have been pushed more, you seem to be sticking to basic shapes here. It might help to break those shapes with a little irregularity every now and then.

Fungi
    Killer rendering dude, I voted for your Anal Parasite last time. You've got some sweetass work on you site too.

Gloklund
    Great, well thought out concept and the image is really tight as well. The birds in the background look a little strange to me, though, I feel the urge to search for their feet (even if they are supposed to retract in flight).

Hanuka
    There is a very cool texture to the strokes, I definitely like where you're going with the rendering. Besides the shit bursting out of his ass (earns points here!), he looks a bit too much like an everyday bird for my tastes. I'd like to see the actual design of the bird pushed farther.

Fozzybar
    Your rendering=top notch. That attention to detail on the plant just makes my pants tight. Concept is right on par with the rendering too, great idea.

Tully
    The color palette you chose is great, you really made a great looking bird here. The head and the shape of the wings are particularly cool. I wouldn't necessarily think it's a "venomous bird" on sight, though. Not saying it has to be blaringly obvious, I just feel like it should at least be insinuated. Solid concept nonetheless!

Thestral
    The bird itself is nice dude, the design rock... that text and border are killing it for me, though. The colors are bold and cool, but used in the text and border it starts to look a little cheesy. Concept had me laughing...

Scarn
    I really dug this entry... great colors, rendering is very nice, and I can tell you put a lot of thought into this bird. I have this undeniable urge to squish that tumor on it's forehead. Let me squish it once. Please.

strych9ine
    You are a fucking genius, my friend. You, me, and my right hand, 8:00pm sharp tomorrow. Don't be late.

MoP
    Dude, this syringe would be badass strapped around the turkeys head. I like the idea, but don't you think the turkeys would be a little more pissed off about Thanksgiving? They should be hunting down some filthy puritans, dammit! Great idea, wish you would have pushed the rendering a little further though.

Hamsta
    It's tough to discern the bird from the rocks. I like that the poison is painted on the beak, but I wouldn't have gotten that from looking at the image. Push the painting more, you'll be so much happier with a finished painting.

stormeffex
    The bird looks tight! I never really noticed the other times I looked at it, mainly because the background is so neutral. You need to pop that bastard out, focus all of our attention on the bird with a lighter background. I love the colors man.

lukavi
    The bird, the background, the pure fucking filthiness of the bird, all of it ties into a great piece. Refreshing to see such a unique style. Wicked.

arri
    Another phenomenal piece. This bird is wicked man, very nicely rendered and structured. You've made a 3 headed cerebus bird incredibly believable. The venomous part of the concept is absent though. Would've liked to see that incorporated into the design.

Oregano
    Great spin on the concept, had me laughing. Somehow reminds me of Bill the Cat from Bloom County with that look in its eye. Could've been tighter but I'm sure you knew that.

dougbot
    In my top three, without a doubt. When I first saw it I did a "wow" out loud, the design is too damn cool. It's awesome how it appears to be a thin translucent membrane around this maze of organs. Awesome.

Sinix
    Love your style and your willingness to go for those over the top, bold colors. I think we see eye to eye on that level. My issue with this bird is that the head looks fully thought out and awesome, while the lower half is left neglected.

al-x
    Great crazy bird head here, it's definitely working. The painted part looks unfinished though... I think if you are going to choose to paint a full body shot, you should give it all the same amount of attention. Nice presentation of all your drawings, btw.

cthomp
    Spend more time on your piece, brotha! Push the concept beyond your average parrot, push the rendering further. You've got a good base layer, now all you have to do is build up.

xpose
    It might help to do some thumbnails before digging straight into your piece. It feels like you started with a head you liked and couldn't really decide what do with the body. I can't really tell where the bird is in relation to the space around him, if he's sitting, perched, etc.

leckronium
    Very bright illustration, nice vibrancy and I really like the head. Still feels like just a toucan to me. Nothing especially "venomous" about it.

klinesmoker
    A tongue in it's ass. Genius. Hopefully it can't taste very well. Like the idea, but the rendering is flat. Everything is different tints and shades of the same color. Vary your palette a bit next time, try it out.

big brutticus
    Nice texture and brush strokes, it really does add that much more personality to a piece. It’s nice to see you set up the bird in a bg… I think you could make this pop a little more by pushing the highlights and shadows a bit.

Jull
    I love your color choices man, they really make your pieces stand out of the crowd. I’m having trouble reading this image, whether we’re looking at a cross-section or a straight side view of the bird. It’s a nice concept but a little unclear in the presentation I think.

Nike
    Well-thought out concept, it’s great you provided us with so much visual information. The body of the bird looks small to me… he looks legless other than the claw jutting out. The wings could have used a bit more depth in terms of feather layering and size.

Helzon
    Simply fucking awesome. The radical beak design is amazing and the drawing is technically impressive. Love it dude!

willow-whisp
    The linework is really strong here… I would have liked a totally new head pose instead of the reflected head from the original I guess. Color this bad boy, it’s a great drawing.

Sapphire
    While I’m a sucker for sketchy pieces, I think it would be stronger if you rendered it further. You could still keep it sketchy, but adding just a little more detail would make it pop. Great colors choices (although I really don’t like that paper texture in the bg, reminds me of the surface of a football. This would look great on a stained paper texture…

Form
    Croikey! I love it when artists consider the design and presentation of the concept as well as the actual rendering, but why do you have human skeleton parts in the bg? Silly bastard. I want to see a painted creature with the same design spin in the future… I am digging the piece as it is now though. Noice!

Vigostar
    Great pencil work here, nice smooth gradients and rendering. The head plume might be more interesting if it wasn’t so repetitive.

Arteric
    Thanks for the crits, first off. It’s great to hear any feedback. The concept is wicked and the bird looks freakin sweet. I can imagine how many handlers bit it trying to get near this monstrosity…

Stitchface
    Holy mother of goddamn shit. I like how you snuck such an amazing illustration right at the end before the buzzer, fashionably almost late. This made me wish that I could vote for more than one concept. So very technically beautiful, and that eye… my god that eye…

I swear I didn't do this for votes. Maybe a little heavy petting session, though... I'll take that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't have time to critique everyone of these but I will say that I voted for Stitchface. Amazing work. To all of you,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 9