MONSTER BRAWL : (a dsg continuance)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: MONSTER BRAWL : (a dsg continuance)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,283 Times in 467 Posts
    Follows
    Following

MONSTER BRAWL : (a dsg continuance)

Started this A Million Years Ago as a DSG assignment..
    Continued into it for a different, more recent, DSG assignment..
    Plan on throwing more into it to take it to a state of finish.

I'm imagining adding some beer steins or some-such flying through the air/getting knocked off the tables... maybe some other stuff, I dunno.

Observations? ... Suggestions? ... Irritations?

Last edited by William b. Hand; June 3rd, 2005 at 03:08 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really interesting style. With the thick black outlines and luminosity it almost looks like stained glass. I kind of like it as is, but right now it looks less like a fantasy illustration and more like something that should be on a huge canvas, hanging in a hipster art gallery.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool. Really cool! No crits, but I agree, I'd love to see that on a really large canvas.

"When George is hanged, Harris will be the worst packer in this world..."

home

the NEW sketchbook

blogspot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up Stained glass? Beer steins?

Why not use both. Have them crashing through a window of a pub. Beer steins and chair remenants coming through with them. Really love what you've done with it so far!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

yayyyyy monsttterrrss

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mentioning irritations; it does whine me up a tad, that someone can spend all that time giving a body so much colour and texture, hue, live!!, etc and get the muscle anatomy completely cock eyed... maybe not your biggest interests, but it does effect some art you do... like this one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rex - Art gallery, huh? Thanks!
    jacobsteel - Thank you! ... I suppose I could offer this as a poster... PM me if you want one .
    DaddyQBall - Ha Ha! Glad you like.
    Sems -
    Cold - Mmm... Yeah, the anatomy is "completely cock eyed", I agree. In the future, I'll focus more on making certain I've got that right before continuing on with the pic. It's never been my strong suit... I was never much interested in drawing people when I was younger, but that's changing. I hope that in coming images by me, you'll notice improvements in that area. Sometimes I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping it's not so apparent, but that's a bad habit.
    ...Actually, I think the reason I haven't worked on this in a while is because it became more and more obvious how screwy the anatomy really is. (*sigh*) How embarassing. This crit is most appreciated, Thanks for the candor, Cold!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, this may be a bit of a retarded critique, but I think that the horn on the guy's head really needs to be brought out more. It's in the closest foreground, and it's attached directly to one of your main centers of attention. It's cool to have the picture fade out to softer detail around the edges, and away from where you want people to look, but the horn is just so central.

It looks so great though! I really like it a lot. Is it photoshop or painter? I can't get such nice smooth transitions...I always end up with harsher lines on everything. It really reminds me of Carlos Huante actually. Again, great picture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's A TIP - for you William... I mean it will work best with you because ive seen your previous pictures!

My Tip: get references on the body and draw some blah blah so on... Then the trick for you is to cut them off in little parts(squares, or something that u use to create machines), and make sure you create your own method of the human anatomy. Which in your case will resemble machinery stuff alot, because thats what u are most farmiliar with(i beleave by what ive seen)... saying that, the beauty of it is, that u will learn and remember them faster and for longer.

Keep experimenting... ive got told that it is easier to remember things if you link them to another memory you have in your brain stored.

Lets say its hard to remember numbers randomly - 12 50 3 18.
    But its made easier if you think of a another part of memory and mix it together, for example:

when you see 12, you then think of birds(flying birds), which should create a image in your head simiular to: 12 birds flying through a gray sky

50 = dogs
    3 = block of cheese smells
    and so on...

this way shud make it alot easier to remember the numbers.

Anyway,
    what I am trying to say, william, use what you already have learned and mix it with what you are trying to learn new - in your case anatomy and the FLOW AND CONNECTIONS of muscle-structure.

P.s. if im chatting shit, please tell me! because im not fully awake today:/

Last edited by Cold; May 11th, 2005 at 04:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dave finch - Yeah, I believe you are right about that horn needing some attention... that's not a retarded observation at all, and I will do something with it. Glad you like the pic... It's Photoshop (I did just get Painter, and have only leafed through the instruction book so far); To achieve smooth blending, just use the airbrush tool w/ soft edges and lower pressure... I don't think there's any trick beyond that. In a pic like this, I'm starting off with a black bk/grnd and painting with highlights (as opposed to starting w/ a light bk/grnd and painting with shadow...) maybe that'll help you? I feel so bad at tut stuff.

Cold - That's interesting that you imagine me as being more familiar with the mechanized. While it's true that I've been focusing on robots and such lately, I've never felt that they're my strength. As I've already communicated, though... neither are people. Perhaps by current comparisons my inorganics are outshining my organics?
    My superstrength is probably the Gigeresque-Biomechanical, which (ironically) I've been doing very little of. Hm... That reminds me of an ancient thread I might wanna revive...
    Whilst your attempt to describe numeric memory methods is a little peculiar and rather disjointed (50=dogs,3=block of cheese smells), I appreciate both your intent in doing so and also your encouragement about further schooling myself in anatomy. Anyhow, I'll be more careful about this stuff - PROMISE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy shit!!!
    i love ur style man, great coloring!
    do u always draw horror? if yes please pm me, i will ask u to join my forum
    damn thats an awesome pic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arm Fix

manslauter - Thanks! No, I don't always draw horror... I like to mix it up, I suppose. I don't even think of this as horror (Although, once I begin adding blood...).

Cold - Welp, you shamed me into it ! Obviously the focus here is on bringing that arm a little closer to the realm of believability. I know it doesn't look totally right, but I think it's much better... see if you agree.

The colouring on the Red Guy's NEW ARM isn't done, nor is the detailing/highlighting on it... Main thing is I tried to fix the wonky anatomy I had there before. I'll be restructuring some other anatomical irritations later.

Last edited by William b. Hand; June 3rd, 2005 at 03:05 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I almost hate to say it cause I love tight anatomy more than anyone, but the first one worked better for me. I liked the style, the anatomy was totally fucked but it still looked cool, I would have liked to have seen you push it even further out there, go with the black outline and make it a little more stylized than realistic. The changes in the arm are much more correct now, but the elbow is stll screwy.

I ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    phooaar!! Look at that arm, it looks so strong and firm, rah. hehe ye it really looks the part of strangling someone. You can't beat down a Try'er!!

n1 william

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aberrant - Tch... Like the first one better, huh? .. Well, yeah, I think that this pic is just gonna be a collection of lessons for me more than anything else. You may yet dig this arm after I've worked into it more, though -- It's not finished yet. I sorta knew that I wasn't likely to duplicate the power and fun of the original wonky arm, but just the process of going back into the pic and trying to alter it has been a good thing for me. It's penitence for not holding anatomy in high enough esteem, and I have learned from my error. I know the elbow's weird. That's probably never gonna be quite right... my comprehension isn't there yet. I'm just shooting for improvement right now, not perfection. ...Not yet.

Cold - Ha ha. Glad you're satisfied (yes?) about the changes! Somehow, I never exactly was able to see what I'd done wrong with that arm. I knew it was wrong, but I had fuzzy brain about why it was wrong. After figuring it out... well... that major misplacement of the bicep, at least... I'm flabergasted that I got it so profoundly screwed up! Like I say, I'll be hitting the anatomy a lot harder in the coming months and I hope it shows. I was wondering, when you said you saw other stuff of mine that had suffered from crap anatomy... were you thinking of that dragon pic? I really got that arm wrong as well, and it's all I can see when I look at it. I might fix that one as well, come to think of it.

Okay, I'll post more before too long. Thanks, guys!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn now its even hotter, even though i wish it still had those red and greenish shades it had before.
    i love that deamons face, very hot.
    so do u want to join my forum and post that there? its extremely badass, u can post without registering btw

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    manslauter - Glad you like the changes! I may pull those red and greenish shades back in... remember, I'm not done with the arm yet! I appreciate the forum invite, but I'm posting at a coupluv different forums already, and it's about all I wanna deal with. Thanks for asking, tho!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.