Do you wish to change/remove your own traits to be better or no ?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Do you wish to change/remove your own traits to be better or no ?

I feel it is a violation of who I am to change/remove a specific trait of mine. There are some people who influence us in some way and that might lead to our whole personality change but I just don't feel like that cause that ain't really me. Like for example your friend wants you to change your style of clothing or the way you speak just so people would be into you more or something like that. I wanna be different, unique in my own way and that's what makes us interesting.

anyway what are your thoughts about this?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

philosophical ! - sry 4 my english

what are WE.. what am I what are U ?

we are born.. and totaly unaware of anything.. sooner or later we become aware about ourselfs.. but we still dont know what we are.. we can say and believ we are humans.. what whats a human ?

the biggest influence has our subconsciouess.. theres only a lil procentage of things we are aware of... maybe 25% or so...

we get subconsciousnesly controlled by our inviroument .. but my enviroument dont takes the resposability for it.. but I do.. its how i deal with me and my enviroument.. .. before u realize this.. we can do nothing.. we arej ust traped in our own illusions and fake-reality.. and we still dont know what we are...

thers a thing inside me.. i can call identity or personality.. he depends on the way he talks and acts and about the cloth he likes.. HE is the product of my personal experiences.. when u experience a world without love.. u cant believ in something.. when u experience pain all the time .. u cant believ in a world without.. u make it a part of urself.. of ur identity

because thers a big part about us we dont know yet.. we care about the cloth i wear and how we talk..and many other things... because i need to know WHO I AM - and i need something i can call ME*MYSELF.. this why my being takes something to identify myself with .. thats the "me" but this me dont knows anything of these procesdres happening before the "me" is created.. the ME is unaware of these things.. it knows only itselfs.. it knows his thoughts and believs in them because its the only thing he got
    stupiod decartes : i think so iam or what ? ^,,^

i can believ in anything.. i can believ in ->
    i need these cloth to be me
    i need to act like this to be me
    i need to talk like this to be me

but i dont need these to define myself.. my real self dont depends on any of these or thoughts or emotions - its totaly free

in my opinion : the definition of our true self is-> pure devine love

u get that in "the matrix" all ppl think and believ in that world.. but the dont know that its just a fake.. an illusion : tell them : its fake reality : and they would say : haha no man ur crazy sure this is real...

in this case-> this individual believs and indentifies himselfs with this body his cloth and this world <-

the product of myself is my consciousness.. inside it u find a personality which is "me" i can identifiy with it -> to be my personality - but it still doenst define me .. i may think i need these things but its fake like the matrix - my tru selfs still exists without any cloth without any talking without any thoughts - thats something to identify with because its free and independend

for me my love and feelings are more important then any my cloth my body and my thoughts

i dont know why some ppl try to change other pps.. but it might be that they dont know who they are

you are unique buts its not because ur cloth and not because the way u talk or think.. you are unique because of the way you share your emotions ur feelings ur love ur beauty .. the way your true self expresses himself through your mind identity and personality

just what i think.. know or believ

i love philosophy !

pss : can you look beyond the looking glas, neo ?

Last edited by -sideshowbob-; February 22nd, 2005 at 06:20 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Clothes don't make us who we are...you could dress differently and be the same person.
    Friends don't make us who we are...you could have criminals for friends and saints for friends, you're still you.
    Preference doesn't make us who we are either...today i felt like Special K for breakfast instead of Sugar Crisp....I'm still the same person.

Who we are is intrinsic....it can't be taken away. Who we are is what stays consistent throughout all experience...my behaviour, my preference, and my understanding all changes over the course of my life....I do not.

"We aren't human beings having a spiritual experience...we are spiritual beings having a human experience"
    -some famous philosopher

-Rob

My Sketchbook
    Encouragement keeps me swimming , even in the undertow of disappointment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Start working in a big company and you'll realise that everything is what it SEEMS to be. If you make yourself appear like a big kahuna that knows everything, people will beleive it. Personally, I have a damn efficient conscience and am trying really hard to be myself, always.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by NoUseFrAName
    Clothes don't make us who we are...
    Friends don't make us who we are...
    Preference doesn't make us who we are either...
    It's what we drive that makes who we are.

OK, maybe not...
    The thing about identity is that it is so subjective. You may think of yourself as very enigmatic, but your brother thinks you're an idiot, your teachers a slacker, your boss a dolt, and your girlfriend an insensative ass. If your self awareness is very high, you can weather most of the crises, but if not, you cannot help but change in response to the stimuli around you. In other words, if you get told that you suck with staunch regularity (in the telling, not the sucking), you may start to believe it and start sucking. Self awareness is the key. If you want to change or not, you must know yourself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    change is good

change because you want to
    change because it is better for you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What's interesting about topics like this is everyone's whole-hearted embrace of individuality, while all at the same time trying desperately to overlook there desire to feel accepted. Let's face it, we are social animals, lack of acceptance in the end causes great amounts of harm to the person. Metaphysically, that is.
    Then again, if someone demands change, you have no moral maxim to provide such a change. I'm assuming you were "put down" or told to change to fit in more sometime recently. Remember that in the end there are always like minded people that you can find and interact with. Ditch the duds who want you to be something different. I would still strongly suggest, however, that you consider what would happen if you did change. If it would produce more... enjoyable results, then go ahead and do it. No one ever said you had to think differently. Your mind is what makes you an individual, not your outer-self. I hope that this is read by people who rag on the A and F, MTV watching, metrosexual population. I wear, watch, nor act in any of these forums, but I don't pretentiously run around with a self-righteous tone labeling them all as "conformists." It's all in the mind.
    Besides, sometimes Ralph Lauren Boxers just feel sooo damn good.

He who asks is a fool for five minutes,
    but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Starting over.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are what you think you are. You won't stop bullets with your hand, but your image is something that can be changed. I think your identity should not. If you suddenly change your personality, it's called an "identity crisis" or "being a politician"

[/bad joke]

But seriously, the less I think about it, the more natural and beautiful it is. Just fugghe't abah't it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by NoUseFrAName
    Clothes don't make us who we are...you could dress differently and be the same person.
    True, but:

I mean, I'm not saying that the more expensive your clothes are, the cooler you are or anything stupid like that, but what I am saying is that choice of clothing is a form of artistic expression. To each his own. What your cover youself with says a lot about you. For example, it is very important to me to not wear clothes with words or pictures on them. I would much rather not ever wear a funny shirt than wear one while I am in a bad mood through part of the day for whatever reason. As such, I wear the same kind of solid black T-shirt, the same kind of jeans, the same kind of black socks, the same pair of combat boots, and the same small metal phone booth on the same chain around my neck every single day. (this is Texas, so it's fine to wear a T-shirt in February) Exceptions are only made on special occasions. I've been doing this for about two years, and my closet contains about seven or eight identical black shirts and about five or six identical pairs of jeans to this end. Everyone who knows me knows me look, and they notice it when I dress differently for a school function, and no one (at least, no one that I would care to be friends with) really cares that I wear the same thing every day. They kid me about it, but it's mutually understood that it doesn't really matter. To me it reflects the fact that I'm the same person every day, and I won't change myself to conform to society. More symbolically than literally, of course, but it's an important part of my style.

</novella>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    choice of clothing is a form of artistic expression. To each his own. What your cover youself with says a lot about you.
    preferences change, but the person doesn't....I still am who I am even though I like different things than I used to...clothing as a form of artistic expression says little about who I am, more about where I'm at....as with most art.

What's interesting about topics like this is everyone's whole-hearted embrace of individuality, while all at the same time trying desperately to overlook there desire to feel accepted. Let's face it, we are social animals, lack of acceptance in the end causes great amounts of harm to the person. Metaphysically, that is.
    The only real want that anybody has is to be seen as real...next to that, most things are fairly unimportant. That said, no amount of social acceptance can change who we are, just how we feel.

-Rob

My Sketchbook
    Encouragement keeps me swimming , even in the undertow of disappointment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm....my personal philosphy is just to be aware of how my energy effects others. I've found a lot of poeple use being "true to oneself" as a poor excuse to be an asshole. I've tried hard over the years to stay true to me...but also to make sure the selfish ID side of me doesn't lay a destructive wake.

Ultimately there's no way you'll be compatible w/ everyone...if a part of you grinds on someone else there's no shame in choosing a different people to hang with.

That there is one damn fine coat you're wearing....

my CA sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    of course you want to change things about yourself. And you do. thats what maturity is. It's impossible to prevent. Those facets of yourself you don't like you attempt to absolve, while embracing those things you wish you had.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If there's anything I'd like to change about myself.

Dunno...I like the way I am.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    clothes say a lot about a person. they make a statement, although its not alway obvious. for example someone in the police or army might have a short haircut and wear fairly smart clothes. skaters - baggy jeans and hoodies. goths black clothes and eyeliner. of course its not always like that i know a kid in the army who skates and doesnt wear baggy jeans.

i think my personality adjusts to different people. i wouldn't act the same way with my friends as i would with my parents. i dont think you can conciously change something about your personality, it would end up being an act. when you are younger its hard because everyone wants to fit in. from leaving school, there was like a transitional period where me and my friends all settled into more individual people.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by patdzon
    I feel it is a violation of who I am to change/remove a specific trait of mine. There are some people who influence us in some way and that might lead to our whole personality change but I just don't feel like that cause that ain't really me. Like for example your friend wants you to change your style of clothing or the way you speak just so people would be into you more or something like that. I wanna be different, unique in my own way and that's what makes us interesting.

anyway what are your thoughts about this?
    havent read any other responses... but

are you happy with the way 'you' are currently? do 'you' have everything you want? would changing yourself help you obtain what you want?

if your friend wants you to change your body language/speaking manner/style so people would be more into you... he is by definition trying to make you more interesting to these other people, or maybe people in general.

you say what you are currently makes you unique and interesting. interesting to who? if its you alone... i'd say there is a problem.

p.s.

i used to be into this whole 'i am a unique, different cornflake' thing. not anymore, because i realized that its irrelevant... and the only thing that is relevant is having what i want and doing whatever is possible to get it. if something in my personality needs change, i will change. that 'unique self' is not what you can define with your limited mind, its a fluid, mysterious thing that reveals itself to you as you mature.

Last edited by Drunken Monkey; February 24th, 2005 at 08:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i don't think anyone's the same person they were 5 years ago, even 5 hours ago (or to get more meta-physical, 5 seconds, or microseconds...etc etc). we constantly change, both physically (e.g., on a cellular level) and in other ways.

if you lost an arm, would you consider yourself to still be the same? what about both arms? arms and legs? at what point have you 'changed'?

what if you only lose a finger? you can no longer point, right? so you have to adapt to that (i.e., change). by definition, as soon as you change, you're no longer the same person. hell, by the physical laws that bind the entire universe together, we're all constantly changing. i don't think a little concious change is a bad thing.

in fact, i might go so far as to say that to simply coast along without being conscious of your traits (and attempting to conciously alter them to what you believe is morally acceptable), would be a Bad Thing(tm).

...so what if i'm bored, and ordinary?...

currently playing: Super Mario 64 DS, ICO (grrrr....)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.