Hellboy

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Hellboy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hellboy

This is a rather quick sketch of Hellboy, from a movie poster. Just trying to get a loose render to practice technique. About 2-3hours in Photoshop CS. Not trying to do a masterpiece, just trying to understand colour and brushes, and the application. Wanted to keep the strokes apparant, and loose, whilst giving just enough detail. I think it's ok...not bad for my third picture anyhow.

Hellboy

Martin.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, this is looking really great. I really like the loose brushstrokes on the sleeve and the background. The face is reading very well and has good form.
    For crits, I would say that the chest area looks a little flat and the cracks on the big hand seem a little pasted on to me.

good job and keep it up!
    emily

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for that advice. I'm trying to understand the dynamics of painting, so I wanted something with good atmosphere and illusion. At first I thought the problems with digital painting were with the brushes and the opacity...but now after jumping in at the deep end, have realised that the importance lies within the colours and the form. It's the power of suggestion...the hardest thing is getting the right balance between reality and creativity. You see I always try to be perfect and uniform instead of just letting my hand flow...with this study I forced myself to be free with the brushes and paint, and see what would come to the surface.

I'm glad you left feedback, it gives me the confidence to progress from this in a positive frame of mind. Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Martin:

I can see you're having a wonderful time jumping in.

Good observations on the power of suggestion. You know what they say: A big part of art is hiding it.

Might I suggest looking towards anatomy a bit more. It'll help you put a finger on what Emily is saying above (and I agree with her). Try for, example, to imagine where the ribcage is on that figure and then allow your strokes to bring it out.

- W.

'
    Battered old junk: Creepy Noh | Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey martin --

this is looking pretty good! wolfgang and emily's suggestions are dead-on; focus more on learning anatomy so you'll be able to know what's in the shadows of that body instead of just having to guess at how to show it. the loose strokes are nice, they remind me of craig mullin's work. i think that's why the cracks in the large arm and the highlights are throwing me a bit -- they're so tight, but the rest of the piece is loosely rendered.

keep it up, you're doing well!

"If you want to create, you have to sacrifice superficiality, some security, and often your desire to be liked, to draw up your most intense insights, your most far-reaching visions." —Clarissa Pinkola Estes
    --
    www.pantagruel.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice try!! this is a good work.. the loose strokes are okay, it might as well give detail.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.