Cow C.O.W. - #004: Venomous Bird

C.O.W. - #004: Venomous Bird

Round #004

Topic:
    Venomous Bird

Deadline:

- for any questions or help go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37512

note: The deadline won't be EXACTLY after a week...it can last up to 24 hours more, i am human and have to work also, you know

Post your creature for this week!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know, it just struck me that it really looks like Matt's Mad C.O.W. decapited the Jull-Llama and posted it up at the top

On the plus side though, the paint brush points almost directly to the J-LLa head

Okay, I'll shut up now.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What are you talking about???

btw i want to say that this topic sounds boring but i think "birds" as a subject are very rarely done in conceptart...it will be very interesting to see the approaches of our members for this topic...it's a hard one and that's the challenge...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pasta.

I was talking about pasta. Yeah.

Any-hooo, yeah. Birds. Venomous boids. Got it. Venomous boids are good. Especially when fixed with a little Oregano...

Wait...

k... never mind...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Birds are scary, they keep running into my window (trying to get inside so they can KILL ME!!! )

-Brad Cossey

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name: Benno Bathurst

Benno Bathurst is named after a mad scientist by the same name who spent his life in his home laboratory creating homicidal creatures who rampaged the surrounding villages. The animals were eventually tracked back to the scientists cottage where he was found guilty of being the cause of deaths numbering in the hundreds. Benno's bird has been killing people with no reason since Benno's death. With a hollow beak he poisons his victims with a vicious peck. Venom is secreted through a small hole in the point of his beak from a large venom-filled gland which rests under his beak, giving him a striking resemblance to the man whom he is superstitiously feared to be the ghost of.

Last edited by Bretton; February 20th, 2005 at 01:07 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,200 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Helping ideas from davi:

1) in Colombia, there are 6 types of birds which secrete poison onto their wings, they get the poison by eatting poison filled beetles.

2) Vultures have an acid which is called, uric acid. They urinate on their legs so that when they step in their rotten meals it doesn't infect them. Go go pee acid!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks davi. Well, that pretty well blows *my* idea. I was going to do some sort of avian critter that secreted it's poison on its body. But, looks like Mother Nature beat me to it

~S

Last edited by S.C. Watson; February 20th, 2005 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The venom of the flightless 'Loogee Bird' is actually a potent flesh-eating bacteria, cultured in thin chambers in the creature's throat and mixed with a heavy mucus which allows it to be carried into the beak. This sticky, evil-smelling poison forms a kind of acid, which liquifies most biological matter at an alarming rate and forms the first stage of the bird's digestive system. Usual practise is for the creature to roughly chop it's prey using it's strong serrated beak, liberally depositing the venom as it does so, before licking up the partially-digested broth that remains once the bacteria has done it's work.

These 8 foot tall predators, which can run at speeds in excess of 90mph, easily dominate the food chain on their home planet of Loogee 4, perhaps due in part to their sophisticted and very efficient hunting method. The birds have a duct in their tongue which allows them to project a jet of venom over short distances - they sprint within range, then spit poison onto the body of their prey, usually favouring the legs or head. The acidic mucus slowly disables the effected animal which the 'Loogee Bird' is now able to track at a gentle pace, conserving energy. Once it's prey is sufficiently weakened, the bird is able to approach and devour it's meal with minimum effort. Yummy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is my kinda creature. i plan to submit one later this week. good job dixon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Matt Ups the Antee Again

Great work Matt, those brush strokes are killer. Looks like we all gotta put in some over time to make ours compete in this one.

Mine will be here soon.

-Eric

Wait a minute, did I just say we have to compete above? But doesn't my tag line say we DON'T compete against each other?? Does... not.... compute...... system... error...........

Last edited by arteric; February 20th, 2005 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Wanted to add some important information

Thanks
    Thanked 1,200 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following

The Gravelheart Bird was spends most of it's time hunting and tracking large bears. It's throat contains an acid which is used to spit into the eyes, mouth or any open sours of it's prey that will slowly decay and infect the body. It hunts by poisioning it's prey and then tracking it until it dies. The Gravelheart then will strike the prey when it's near final breathe, and hopefully the prey will have lead the Gravel heart straight to it's nest-- Where it can get an easy meal off baby creatures or unhatched eggs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome entries so far!

Vomiting Penguin

Although not part of the penguin family, this bird shares many of the penguin's traits and was believed to be a relative by early scientists. It is a flightless bird that has evolved into an excellent swimmer, living exclusively in the southern hemisphere. Its diet consists mainly of extremely poisonous blowfish. The Vomiting Penguin's digestive system seperates the poisonous sections of the fish before they reach the stomach and stores them in a protective sac. At any time, the Vomiting Penguin can regurgitate this violently noxious brew. A teaspoon of the substance absorbed through the skin is enough to kill an adult human. The vomit is usually used as a defense mechanism or to mark territory; however, the birds have been known to lay grass and flowers over the puddles of vomit in order to trick victims into unknowingly coming into contact with it. They do not eat the victims, so it is unknown why they lay these traps. Perhaps they are just mean.

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    South American Sneezing Crane
    the south american sneezing crane, given its name because of its ability to "sneeze" poison from its nose, is famous for its brightly coloured feathers and ruthless hunting methods. the poison is stored in a sack within the back of the birds skull and is discharged, with deadly accuracy and range, through a second set of nostrals on the creatures beak. the poison isnt "too" harmful to humans but is somewhat deadly to the birds prey, which is mainly other small birds and land mammels. first the poison is sprayed into the eyes of another creature causing instant blindness and eventual paralysis, which is commonly done mid air against smaller birds. the sneezing crane waits for the poisoned prey to fall from the sky where it will find the corpse and feed. in some occasions the bird has been known to also hunt small tree monkeys and wild boars.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Imperial Barbed Night Minstrel

Common Name (preferred): Imperial Barbed Night Minstrel
    Scientific Name: Imperatorius Perpcacis Nocturnus Orphei
    Size (length, wingspan, & weight) Length—4.25" from tip of tail to tip of beak. Wingspan— 5.25" Weight—3.5 grams
    Habitat: From marshy coastal waters to lush farmland areas.
    Diet: Small insects, some flowering plants.

General Biology: A relatively recent species of bird, the Imperial Barbed Night Minstrel is commonly mistaken for some species of hummingbird as well as some of the larger species of moth. The Night Minstrel is a mostly nocturnal bird, feeding off of mosquitoes and other small nightime insects. It derives its name from its barbed feathers at the end of its tail and wingtips as well as its distinctive choir-like song. Known to be a venomous bird, of which only less than a half-dozen species are known to exist. It was once thought that it’s anal glands were the source of the toxin, however after recent findings have discovered that all species of this bird have an anal parasite which is in fact the source of the venom. The Malerondia Analicthys or Anal Fish Noodler, shares this symbiotic relationship with the Night Minstrel for the better of both species. The Night Minstrels “bodyguard” provides the protection while its host provides food and shelter. The venom secreted from the parasite weeps through the posterior of the bird from which the bird would rub the toxin with its beak down the length of its tail and wingtips. Being armed in flight now with the toxic venom at each extremity of its body the Night Minstrel can feed without the fear of being eaten by hungry predators. Any creature which ingests the venom will suffer severe neurotoxic shock and death.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HAHAHA - crazy shit Gloklund...incredible idea to mix your anal parasite concept into this one!

I am surprised by the quality of the entries, not that they were bad lately, but i didn't expect this, since the topic is really not easy...

Keep 'em coming, yeah!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yummy guys! This is absolutely superb work by everyone so far. I am intimidated not only by excellent execution, but great, original ideas I hope you guys like my take on this anyway, If I find the time, i'll work a little more on this malicious pal, but as I'm kept busy by work and school, i heavily doubt it. :/ His "in action" image looks more like a bat
    c&c greatly appreciated, as usual.

The Malicious 'Dump Buzzard'

This hell-spawn hunter lives in the deep forests of Humpwood and the great mountains beyond. He nourishes from small animals, like hamstas and baby fozzybears, but also from infants. He aims for his prey from high above and secretes a paralyzing, toxic dung. His targeted precision is unrivaled. You better beware the next time you take your children out for a walk in the woods - they might be his next victims.

OMG WTF!!11 LOOK ABOVE!

Last edited by Hanuka; February 21st, 2005 at 10:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Fozzy! I wanted to do something a little different, something that could be believable. It was fun how the two ideas just kinda came together. So i went with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe, Hanuka...

here's mine:

The colibri "poison sparkle"

Actually this colibri is not venomous at all...even its plumage is all over black actually...the thing is, that this little colibri feeds from the nectar of the White Drizzle Orchid, which grows in the colibris habitat...

The orchids blossom has two "ports", one contains the nectar, the other one is a few inches above...on each side of the blossom there is a gland, containing seminal fluid...

The orchid sprays the poison only when both "ports" are evoked simultaneously, this is the "sign" for the orchid that a "poison sparkle"-colibri is in front, because this colibri automatically introduces its horn on the top of the head when licking the nectar from the nectar-port beneath...the double-penetration provokes the orchid spraying the seminal fluid from its glands onto the little bird...

The "poison sparkle" produces a biochemical substance, which covers its plumage all the time, even right after hatching...the conjunction of both substances (the orchids seminal fluid + the colibris plumage substance) causes a chemical reaction - the result is a highly venomous substance...also the reaction effects in a beautiful pattern on the plumage which signals "i am venomous - don't eat me" to potential predators...

This is again a wonderful example of a symbiosis between a plant and an animal...the benefit for the bird is the venomous cover protecting it against predators, the orchid "binds" the colibri species to itself, so that the colibri always will visit this kind of orchid to spread their seminal fluid by flattering with their wings incredibly fast - in doing so some seeds will fling to other orchids and pollinate them...

damn long description...all because of my poor english...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hoatzilcoatl: Assassin of the Amazon
    8' wingspan, approx. 40lbs

The world will be more glad to know that there is only one of these creatures in existance. Hoatzilcoatl is the unfortunate younger brother of the Aztec god Quetzalcoatl. His unusually foul odour (described once as "It was as if a hundred skunks all pissed on a mound of dung.") made him the subject of ridicule by the Aztec people who eventually drove him from Tenochtitlan.

A surprisingly sensitive fellow, Hoatzilcoatl was terribly hurt. Centuries of flying alone in the deepest reaches of the Amazon have made him one of the bitterest creatures of which you're ever likely to hear.

Every year in the wet season (the dampness partly masks his odour), he flies close to human cities waiting for any hapless traveller to blunder by. He then swoops down and balls his talons into a fist and punches them hard in the chest or head, invenomating them with the necrotizing poison from his retractable spurs.

The venom works quickly, killing all the tissue it comes into contact with. A maximum of two hours after the attack the victim will be dead unless an antivenin is administered, but the venom does not stop working. It takes only five hours for a 200 lb human to be reduced to a blackened husk.

Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Mardi Gras Medusa is considered one of the rarest and most beautiful venomous birds on earth. It’s also one of the most cunning. It makes it’s home in the metro area of New Orleans. It feeds only once a year, during the Mardi Gras celebration where, despite its very colorful plumage, the annual event offers effective camouflage while the bird hunts its prey. The diet of the Mardi Gras Medusa consists solely of alcoholic beverages. The venom contained in its bite, although not deadly, causes temporary stupefying paralysis, which causes the victim to involuntarily drop their newly filled container of beer onto the street. The Mardi Gras Medusa then feasts on the spilt contents. It is not unusual for this bird to consume ten times its weight in liquor during this single annual feeding period. It then spends the rest of the year hung over in hibernation.

Damn, Damn, Damn! I promised myself that I was going to be serious this time around.

Last edited by Thestral; February 21st, 2005 at 06:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The venomous Condor is a desert dwelling bird with the ability to inject a dose of venom into its prey, allowing the bird to bring it's meal home to its nest to feast in private, all in a single "swoop". Upon finding a prime target, the venomous condor dives down and lodges its two front talons into the fleeing prey, while the single back talon stabs the prey from behind injecting the vemon, rendering it unconscious and easy to carry home.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wow!

Wow scarn! you really captured the ambigious lump in the center of your forehead really well in this picture!! I can definatly see the resemblance... heh... Great job, on the picture that is...... I was joking about the resemblance..

<for those of you who don't know, I'm Scarn's brother, he keeps rambling on and on about this place so I thought I would check it out for myself. Great concepts you guys! vomiting penguin rules!... I mean ... uh... second to yours scarn....... >

Last edited by Pawntidious ii.3; February 21st, 2005 at 06:54 PM. Reason: mispelled a bunch of stuff :S

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bah! Go home

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Easily startled and bitch to clean up after, the Mucousa Vulture has only been captured by the most skilled of handlers. The Mucousa has an almost continual and involuntary flow of deadly venom erupting from it's nostrils, forever coating it's environment in a poison known to boil skin within seconds of contact. Just how they are able to produce such a mass volume of deadly serum remains a mystery, mostly because no one has been able to get near the damn thing for any significant period of time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SnowLeopard:
    Is your entry finished???

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb

The Anti-Christmas Freedom Turkey is an evolutionary hiccup - it is physically indistinguishable from a common Turkey, and as such has been able to infiltrate and destroy a number of highly-regarded Turkey-farming establishments.
    Smuggling large quantities of an unknown bacterial agent into Turkey farms, the Freedom Turkey informs all of the regular Turkeys of an impending mass escape, then proceeds to inject deadly doses of toxin into the nearest human being. After disabling the human overseers, it proceeds to unlatch any barriers between the Turkeys and the nearest exit. Then they are never seen again.

According to the world's media, most Turkey farmers must be (and I quote) "Fucking blind" to allow such an obvious instrument of death into their farms. The syringe itself is made of glass and highly polished surgical steel, so it's not exactly inconspicuous, especially when badly-hidden under half a Turkey's wing.

How the Freedom Turkey operates these complex syringe arrangements with their stubby, laughable wings remains a mystery.

Yes, it's real, and yes, it's coming for you.

MoP

(P.S. If this entry gets disqualified, I'm blaming Tully! Naah, I love ya really )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    strych9ine, fozzy, tully, and fungi.. Wow, those are great birds, but, my fav's so far have to be fozzy, for his great colors, and strych9ine for the most creative, too bad you didnt complete the body... hopefully, i'll have time to work on this one as well...

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sheer badass-ery so far this contest really raises my motivation

bretton - I'm aware of your passion for batman and this piece shows. i immediatly thought of the penguin in tim burtons movie. just... better this is so sick and twisted that i actually _am_ scared of this fellow. the likeliness to the mad scientist is terrifying. keep up your unique style - but maybe give pure digital painting a try.

matt dixon - neat color-scheme and professional execution - as usual can't really find any crits

davi - good work on your creature-anatomy. youre taking this to a professional level. i feel a little overwhelmed by the composition, though. his left wing should seperate a little more from the background. and... is he supposed to fly with these wings?

0kelvin - "Perhaps they are just mean." - LOL. Yeah, perhaps. Twisted little beast you created there. Cool concept and good, clean execution. Could be more dynamic, though.

fungi - i dig your stuff. it's unique how you handle colors and textures and this piece just shows massive skills. my favorite alongside with scarn's. I can touch this thing, it's so real and close.

Gloklund - simply put, this is a great concept. your illustration feels a little flat (warm/cold colors would help) but is overall very well executed. good idea to combine your concepts.

fozzybar - slick and precise - but his feathers just don't feel right.

Tully - interesting colors on this piece. i like the head design. tought of something skull-like, too, at first. looks like some legendary creature. good work. his claws look a little too big, though.

Thestral - LOL... thats so dumb, its cool again. cool stuff, just a little "noisy" feathers... needs a little more focus - maybe by less detail and less 'little strokes' in his feathering. hope, you understand what i mean.

scarn - i'm utterly impressed how you captured motion and flight of your condor by his shape. beautiful brushwork on the head close-up.

strych9ine - this fellow needs a body. cool texture-work, but i think you overdid it a little

MoP - you cracked me up. i can imagine everything depicted by your neat illustration. a little too rough / blurry in parts, to me. but very lively and well executed.

Last edited by Hanuka; February 22nd, 2005 at 08:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This newly found relative of the Kiwi, is limited to a small island near New Zealand. Much like it's more common relative it is a shy bird, which eats insects. When this bird is intimidated it has one extra weapon at it's disposal - it's enzymes are deadly toxins and it's brightly painted beak interior warns of this threat.
    Naming of this species is currently a heated debate among ornithologists.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2