Cow C.O.W. - #004: Venomous Bird

C.O.W. - #004: Venomous Bird

Round #004

Topic:
    Venomous Bird

Deadline:

- for any questions or help go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37512

note: The deadline won't be EXACTLY after a week...it can last up to 24 hours more, i am human and have to work also, you know

Post your creature for this week!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    You know, it just struck me that it really looks like Matt's Mad C.O.W. decapited the Jull-Llama and posted it up at the top

On the plus side though, the paint brush points almost directly to the J-LLa head

Okay, I'll shut up now.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    What are you talking about???

btw i want to say that this topic sounds boring but i think "birds" as a subject are very rarely done in conceptart...it will be very interesting to see the approaches of our members for this topic...it's a hard one and that's the challenge...

Thanks
    Pasta.

I was talking about pasta. Yeah.

Any-hooo, yeah. Birds. Venomous boids. Got it. Venomous boids are good. Especially when fixed with a little Oregano...

Wait...

k... never mind...

Thanks
    Birds are scary, they keep running into my window (trying to get inside so they can KILL ME!!! )

-Brad Cossey

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Thanks
    Name: Benno Bathurst

Benno Bathurst is named after a mad scientist by the same name who spent his life in his home laboratory creating homicidal creatures who rampaged the surrounding villages. The animals were eventually tracked back to the scientists cottage where he was found guilty of being the cause of deaths numbering in the hundreds. Benno's bird has been killing people with no reason since Benno's death. With a hollow beak he poisons his victims with a vicious peck. Venom is secreted through a small hole in the point of his beak from a large venom-filled gland which rests under his beak, giving him a striking resemblance to the man whom he is superstitiously feared to be the ghost of.

Last edited by Bretton; February 20th, 2005 at 12:07 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 254 Posts
    Helping ideas from davi:

1) in Colombia, there are 6 types of birds which secrete poison onto their wings, they get the poison by eatting poison filled beetles.

2) Vultures have an acid which is called, uric acid. They urinate on their legs so that when they step in their rotten meals it doesn't infect them. Go go pee acid!

Thanks
    Thanks davi. Well, that pretty well blows *my* idea. I was going to do some sort of avian critter that secreted it's poison on its body. But, looks like Mother Nature beat me to it

~S

Last edited by S.C. Watson; February 20th, 2005 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks

The venom of the flightless 'Loogee Bird' is actually a potent flesh-eating bacteria, cultured in thin chambers in the creature's throat and mixed with a heavy mucus which allows it to be carried into the beak. This sticky, evil-smelling poison forms a kind of acid, which liquifies most biological matter at an alarming rate and forms the first stage of the bird's digestive system. Usual practise is for the creature to roughly chop it's prey using it's strong serrated beak, liberally depositing the venom as it does so, before licking up the partially-digested broth that remains once the bacteria has done it's work.

These 8 foot tall predators, which can run at speeds in excess of 90mph, easily dominate the food chain on their home planet of Loogee 4, perhaps due in part to their sophisticted and very efficient hunting method. The birds have a duct in their tongue which allows them to project a jet of venom over short distances - they sprint within range, then spit poison onto the body of their prey, usually favouring the legs or head. The acidic mucus slowly disables the effected animal which the 'Loogee Bird' is now able to track at a gentle pace, conserving energy. Once it's prey is sufficiently weakened, the bird is able to approach and devour it's meal with minimum effort. Yummy.

Thanks
    this is my kinda creature. i plan to submit one later this week. good job dixon.

Thanks

Matt Ups the Antee Again

Great work Matt, those brush strokes are killer. Looks like we all gotta put in some over time to make ours compete in this one.

Mine will be here soon.

-Eric

Wait a minute, did I just say we have to compete above? But doesn't my tag line say we DON'T compete against each other?? Does... not.... compute...... system... error...........

Last edited by arteric; February 20th, 2005 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Wanted to add some important information

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 254 Posts

The Gravelheart Bird was spends most of it's time hunting and tracking large bears. It's throat contains an acid which is used to spit into the eyes, mouth or any open sours of it's prey that will slowly decay and infect the body. It hunts by poisioning it's prey and then tracking it until it dies. The Gravelheart then will strike the prey when it's near final breathe, and hopefully the prey will have lead the Gravel heart straight to it's nest-- Where it can get an easy meal off baby creatures or unhatched eggs.

Thanks
    Awesome entries so far!

Vomiting Penguin

Although not part of the penguin family, this bird shares many of the penguin's traits and was believed to be a relative by early scientists. It is a flightless bird that has evolved into an excellent swimmer, living exclusively in the southern hemisphere. Its diet consists mainly of extremely poisonous blowfish. The Vomiting Penguin's digestive system seperates the poisonous sections of the fish before they reach the stomach and stores them in a protective sac. At any time, the Vomiting Penguin can regurgitate this violently noxious brew. A teaspoon of the substance absorbed through the skin is enough to kill an adult human. The vomit is usually used as a defense mechanism or to mark territory; however, the birds have been known to lay grass and flowers over the puddles of vomit in order to trick victims into unknowingly coming into contact with it. They do not eat the victims, so it is unknown why they lay these traps. Perhaps they are just mean.

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.