Punch in yer face! Vent here!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Punch in yer face! Vent here!

Maybe I'm just sounding off here, in fact I AM sounding off here, but I've been active on this forum for some time. Thank you to all you other artists out there. Damned if we aren't a little nation ourselves! I'm telling you though, where I live, people think my art is "Hell-Born" (look at my sketchpad and tell me what you think). I feel ill-equipped to handle this. Too much love for western art and not enough appreciation for different styles/concepts!

What I'm asking is what is the worst thing anyone said about your art, and how did you handle it? Vent here, please! That's what we're here for!

He who asks is a fool for five minutes,
    but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Starting over.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Wow, Emily . . . since when did you learn how to draw?"

emily

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "That's cuuuute" in a slightly nasal, well meaning condescending I don't approve of your art and don't know what else to say but feel oblligated to say somesomething so as not to offend you with my ignorance sort of way.

"What is that?"

"That's a cloud, right?"

My usual response is just silence or a "yeah, right..."

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hah you guys haven't experienced the kind of stuff you go through when working at a theme park... i did caricatures and it gave every local Nascar fan and Dirty Souf thug a reason to criticize and correct me. I had a woman tell me my artwork was "complete shit", others told me I was too young (21) to draw well, one guy told me I should goto a better art school... just tons and tons of that kind of stuff. almost daily. In that environment, people expect an oil painting or something because they're spending an extra $10 over the 30 or so it cost to get them in there. The thing is, I almost preferred the insulting comments over the praise, because I was never proud of the drawings I did there, and when people were nice it felt patronizing... like oregano's "that's cuuuuute" comment.

good life experience though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cotron, oh, wow man. haha - You are one braaaave soul to have done that. I've *always* had a special place in heart for the poor saps that do those portraits You know there's a special section in Heaven just for you! LOL.

My hat is off to you, seriously, for braving such a storm of unbridled criticism!

Cheers,
    ~S

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Emily, I heard the same thing about two months ago from my grandmother.... We're real tight....

Haha, I think I might have to agree with Oregano there, Cotron. I'd have been chopping balls off or something. Well, maybe not that extreme, but close.

Man, everyone looks at my art and nods their head approvingly as I silently watch them holding it upside down. Shhhhhhh......

Starting over.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,199 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    yeah i've gotten "that's cute" comments when trying to draw the most vile things i can, i just gotta scratch my head

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man no one knows. Forced responses are teh suck to any artist. I'd prefer a "that blows goats" to a forced approval.

Starting over.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "you're so talented, I could never do that/draw anything but stick people"

because working your ass off has nothing to do with skills.

to every no-talent ass-clown who merely "expresses themselves" for the reputation.

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMFG!

My pet hate is: "aw your so talented, arent you sooo clever!?!"
    That really fucks me off. So much so I wanna out my foot in their face.

And: "Thats rrreally good, *false, arse licky praise, cant be bothered to type it all* You know, I did an art course too...."

This came from a girl at work who talks far too much for her own good. Im sure she did an art course, back in high school, but its the patronising way she makes comments (repeating shit) and then adds the 'I did art too' at the end. Like that makes all the difference. I'll stop ranting. phew.

oh, oh, oh - the best one I got the other night, whilst in a pub drawing...

"Hi, are you an artist?"

Mollyx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    basically every comment i get from my parents about my drawings. it's a punch in the face when they grin and say "that's really good" - it just always sounds like when your parents tell you, you're good looking. its just easy to see through pedagogical bullshit :/ ... cause i know, my drawings arent that good.

i once got that emily-comment, too. from my art teacher at school.
    "since when did you learn how to draw?"

*punch in teh throat!*

like it's a sudden change. at once you know how to draw shit and before you werent able pull of anything proper...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i always find funny how my art seem beautiful to my family and how it suck to conceptart buddies

I'm a manky artist, don't mess with me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that's one thing for why i hate people, they don't choose to say the correct things, they always choose to be dumbasses and say stupid shit to us.
    like this, "wow, your a good drawer" i feel like i'm being called furniture
    or "that's so good, i could never do that" people who say that are just stupid and always work half-assed or don't even try.

Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's like people don't understand we ask for the poinion to ahieve a hgigher standard for ourselves. Best one came this morning, "What is THAT crap?" from a passerby in a local restaraunt. Wow.

Starting over.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "That's the best thing you've ever drawn in this class"

Back when I was in AP Art at my school, The teacher and I had many differences of opinion about a whole lot of stuff. A lot of it had to do with the way that I generally didn't press down hard enough when I was shading dark values, and I eventually corrected that. (I had corrected it long before the time of the above quote) Now, I don't like most of my stuff that I did in that class, as the assignments were generally very weird and un-inspiring, and usually thought up on a whim on the teacher's part. For example, she went to an art convention and saw a work where student had taken a bunch of spoons, painted them on a small canvas, and then placed the canvas in the middle of a large board, wherupon she glued all of the spoons she had used to the board around the canvas. My art teacher saw that and decided that it was so awesome that everyone in her classes should the same kind thing with various other small objects. I don't know about you, but that just utterly failed to inspire me in the slightest. Anyway, there was the one still life involving taking a bunch of that wavy corrugated border material stuff, twisting it around, and gluing it down to a piece of boare, whereupon we drew it. Now, when I do still lifes, I draw the thing as it appears. I don't take an artistic liscense to make it look cooler, I draw it just the way it appears. And this stuff I was drawing had no dark values on it. I mean, none. There was a little medium darkness in places, but the thing was sitting on a table in a room with much florescent lighting. Not gonna have shadows. So I kept trying to turn the thing in, and the teacher told me that the values weren't dark enough. I pointed out that dark values were not present on the object. She contended that it didn't matter, the drawing had to look dynamic. I pointed out that a mass of twisted border material was not a dynamic object. She said...and this went on for awhile until I finally went over t my seat and put some cheesy, sloppy shadows on the thing, very quickly and not paying much attention to the actual object. When I was done, it looked nothing like the actual still life. I took it over to he and she then said the above quote. Burned me up. I dropped the class at the end of the semester. Never looked back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by klinesmoker
    It's like people don't understand we ask for the poinion to ahieve a hgigher standard for ourselves. Best one came this morning, "What is THAT crap?" from a passerby in a local restaraunt. Wow.
    LOL, you serious? someone actually said that? that dude deserved a punch in t3h n0s3!

Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan
    LOL, you serious? someone actually said that? that dude deserved a punch in t3h n0s3!
    As a heart attack. I was in Perkin's with some friends showing them my new art. I think he was a bit out of it, but he walked by, stopped, looked down and declared my art was crap. Right there, in front of everyone at the table, then sauntered off. I think we were all too shocked to say anything. At least it was a good laugh...

Starting over.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i hear you you SJ, i almost got into a class like that, luckily i dropped from the start and picked up on other stuff

our teacher seemed like one of those artsy-fartsy types that doesn't appreciate realism b/c it's "boring"

(in the back of my mind on the first day i was thinking after she was talking about all the modern art shit we'd be doing)"realism isn't boring! most modern artists lack traditional talent!"

but hey, taking a bit of artistic license and messing things up can be fun here and there but doing that in a still life with a bunch of border material.... man that must have been horrible

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, I know it. I still think highly of that teacher because she was straight with me about stuff when I told her I wanted to drop her class. I had another class that I could have taken other than AP art, and now I was showing more interest in it, so I had a legitimate excuse to drop. She said that the place where I wanted to go, Baylor University (just got accepted) requires a 5 on an AP portfolio for it to mean anything to their Art program, and she'd never had a student make a 5, so that was that, and she just came right out and said that. So she's got my Respeck, but not as far as her teaching methods go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its always seemed to me that people that dont draw at all, will always give some praise to the people that just have the balls to put the pencil to the paper. Its like just because you have the delusion in your mind that you *might* be able to draw something, you automatically are "talented" and "better than I could do". I guess I just always run in to people that want to be nice.

Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ Bennighof
    She said that the place where I wanted to go, Baylor University (just got accepted) requires a 5 on an AP portfolio for it to mean anything to their Art program, and she'd never had a student make a 5, so that was that, and she just came right out and said that.
    Haha, well, as you said, at least she's honest. My high school art teacher really pushed us on figure drawing, and I'd say a good number of his students got 5's. I think the judges are impressed when a high school student tackles the figure, 'cause most don't and it is a difficult subject.

emily

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think the worst thing ever is when someone looks at your sketchbook and the decide to chat with you about how they know this really kickass artist who isnt you...

No man should be less than what he is.
    sketchbook- http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61756

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Omg molly, I completely hear ya on that one "Ooh you're so talented .. blahblah .. you know I've done this art class once too". Damn patronising, like hard work has nothing to do with it, and even worse, they completely trivialise your shit by saying they did a class once too. What?! I didn't learn this doing one lousy art course.

Ughh rant rant huff puff

Kicker for me: when someone sees my stuff, really likes it, then asks if I'm a pro. I respond with the usual "Well I'm still learning and no, I've never done art for pay so far" .. to which they respond with "oh..." and a let down look on their face. wtf?

/fd
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some of the rants here are just silly.
    i mean, how would people know what to say?
    they don't know what it takes to do art, most of them don't know much about art anyway. just take it easy.

Last edited by dusty imp; August 2nd, 2009 at 12:31 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In a way thats true Yutani but it's entertaining nonetheless! You know whats sad is that alot of these comments come from people who ARE artists.
    My favorite is when a fellow artist sees my work and says "thats pretty good" cant they come up with a more intelligent critique? At least give me something to work with!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My parents think my art is all well and good, but still just something for kids, and that I should grow up and do something more productive. Fucking pisses me off. I'm in college, and I get crap like that. Bah.

I also hate it when people see you drawing and make comments about (your)art. Inane comments that range from patronizing to stupid. Thats why I draw at home only. I don't need to deal with that crap. Honestly. It's just so... awkward when someone who knows nothing about art tries to make conversation about it...

EDIT: Oh man, how could I forget! I draw mechs a lot, and I was drawing a power armor once in bio, and this guy sitting across fom me tries to start some stupid conversation about those mechs in The Matrix: Revolutions. First off, it looked NOTHING like those. Think of a freakishly proportioned Guyver, and you're on your way, but this guy is trying to start a conversation about that regardless! I dunno...

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I draw mechs a lot, and I was drawing a power armor once in bio, and this guy sitting across fom me tries to start some stupid conversation about those mechs in The Matrix: Revolutions. First off, it looked NOTHING like those. Think of a freakishly proportioned Guyver, and you're on your way, but this guy is trying to start a conversation about that regardless! I dunno...

LOL!!! You remind me of Napoleon!

"It's a Liger. It's pretty much my favorite animal. It's like a Lion and Tiger mixed. Bred for is skills and magic." "Idiot!"

"If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol, most of these are really entertaining.

Here's one © by my drawing teacher:
    "Lemme seee... uhuh... Not bad. Gimme the eraser, will you?" (then erases almost everything, redraws it exactly the same)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Can you actually live of that?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL!!! You remind me of Napoleon!
    Well, okay, I can be a bit touchy, but in my defense, there really was nothing in common. I seriously don't know how he even made a connection, and the fact that he was bothering me when I was drawing didn't make me more sympathetic.

EDIT: Yeah, Marko, I get that, except in the "You'll never succeed with your art, go do something productive" form, since I haven't gotten a career yet.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.