Art: Help me "Grow As an Artist"!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Help me "Grow As an Artist"!

Oh the wasted years! If only I had found this site sooner!

I'm trying to "grow as an artist." I practice daily, but its mostly sketches in my sketchbook from photos and imagination. I draw from life when I get the chance. Somehow I feel like I should be doing more to improve myself besides drawing in my sketch book all the time.

I'm not just a dabbler, I'm taking this art thing very seriously. I've had one drawing class as an undergrad and wish I'ld taken more... But I'm stuck in Graduate school for Science. (SO BORING) I would post some images but I can't figure out how (Help please?). I've seen some awsome advice from all the pros on this site. What say you? Aside from sketching like a fiend in my book everyday, and the no-brainer of taking classes. What do you folks reccomend I do to hone my skills?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    get a deviantart.com account.
    That way you can create a portfoilo of your work.

Buy a computer tablet and get a crrac..... a .. version of photoshop that accepts tablet input.

Find out what you like to draw about.
    What do you like to draw about? Do you like to draw anime? Maybe fighters? Aliens? Faeries? Women? Dogs? Cyborgs? Cars? Machinery? Environments?

After you figure out what you like drawing about, learn more about that subject. Learn what makes that subject become what it is. What is inside of a car? How do cyborgs use gastrobotics? How does grow moss on it? Why don't faeries like objects such as iron? Why do aliens use binary as a language?

Dig further into what you draw about. Art is a lot like writing, the more you know about different subjects and what goes on with them and how they react to change and how they change allows you to draw them out.

That's just some info.

"You know that feeling when you meet someone and you fall in love with them as if you are a child once more? Have you ever noticed that it is a rare feeling? Never pass the chance to date that person." - Me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, a fellow science graduate! What is it you're studying?

Personally I'd recomend getting a scaner before a tablet if you're more experienced with traditional mediums. Tablets take a bit of getting used to, and you could use that time to work on your artwork instead of learning to use the tablet. Also the fact that if you don't have a high end PC you'll have problems running large projects in digital form.

Try going to a life drawing class, they're really good for practicing drawing people. Learn the fundamentals, you can't learn to do things well unless you know *why* they work (manga style for example. Most pro manga artists have learned traditional methods first)

Try enroling in the Academy section too (actually, I should probably do that) and start a sketchbook in the daily sketchbook threads so you can keep track of progress and get advice (go to htt://www.photobucket.com for an image host you can use). Other than that, I'd just recommend that you keep on drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks... I got a scanner and photoshop. Been thinking about the tablet but $$$$! I hear ya on the studying advice. Sometimes I just don't know what or why want to draw. These are the times when it's nice just to draw something from life. Thereby eliminating some of the decision-making.

I study Environmental Health. My research involves mercury-conatminated fish. Not nearly as fun as drawing.

I'll try to get that online portfolio thingy going so I can get some real feedback.

At the moment I'm painting a still-life to expand my understanding of color, light, etc. Stupid boring still-lifes....

Anyone else got some fun tips/tricks for excercizing their skills?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Here's some art! yay!

a portrait of my mom

And a goofy poster thing I did from imagination...

Go ahead... rip it apart. Hopefully some critiques will help me improve.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    interesting, not all that bad (but who am I to talk, I suck!)
    the portrait looks nice, the hand seems a little small and disconnected perhaps, and the rose looks a little flat, although it still looks nice. I'd work on, perhaps, making the clothes look more 3d.

the poster is interesting. I'm just beginning to grasp the basics of composition, so I won't go into that. the faces look allright, although I'd keep working on facial proportions (find Andrew Loomis's "drawing the head and hands" on the net if you haven't already, it's mucho help) and the man's eyes are not quite level.

all in all, it looks to me like you're off to a good start, although again take my crits with a grain of salt as I'm not much myself. I'd say keep sketching all the time, people, objects, whatever. the books of George Bridgeman and Andrew Loomis can really help you drawing people, although there are many others as well.
    good luck!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.