Sketchbook: *Wisdom cubes sketchbook* Update:June 14
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: *Wisdom cubes sketchbook* Update:June 14

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb *Wisdom cubes sketchbook* Update:June 14

CRIT THESE HARD AND EVERYTHING ELSE I DO I WANT TO BECOME PRO!!!
    Hey everyone I'm new here. I'm going to school fo animation so im drawing at least 1 hour a day at the bare minimum. My problem atm is coming up with ideas for drawings so what im doing is just drawing from life for rightnow to get some skills down. My problems rightnow. My shading sucks, I really want to learn how to crosshatch. My anatomy isnt to good especially from memory. I have TONS of art books but im trying to utilize them I just havent really "gotten into them" rightnow. Well to start this off heres some life drawings from my 3rd session ive been to of figure drawing. As you can see im really afraid of drawing faces, and if you think these are sketchy you should see my drawings from memory. I am really not confident as a artist rightnow so if you guys have any tips or exercises please please feel free to say anything.

I really want to become a Manga/Comic artist as well so Im looking for some HARD crits. Rip me apart! Please im not sensitive at all. Ill be sending some sketches in tommorow of exercises or whatever
    i draw.

One more thing. I know many people have this problem but. When i try to draw, the blank page is VERY intimidating, i cant figure out what to draw and all my ideas and inspiration leave. If anyone can help me out with any suggestions please do... anyways CRIT ME HARD..

My Worst 10 minute in this session

My best 10 minute

My worst 20

My best 20

Last edited by Wisdom_Cube; June 15th, 2005 at 03:57 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys tell me what i should post to get some crits or some attention because i know these arent very exciting. Anyways i tend to draw better if someone starts me off...

What ive realised is the scanner makes drawings look better than what they are for some reason

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not bad, but i think you'd get more critiques if you put up more. they are all pretty similar and preliminary. you should try to put up a little bit more finished pieces.. or just develop the drawings with more detail in mind. btw, that last one reminds me of the fatty on my thread! check it out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know what to tell you. I feel like I've tried everything I can these last ten years and nothing has worked for me-I haven't made any progress at all. I have a lot of ideas for things I want to draw, but I don't have any technical skills with which to create. This upsets me so much that I feel like crying and destroying in rage all day. It is worse than not being able to read or write, I feel crippled. I don't know what to do. People say if you copy enough you will start to improve but that hasn't worked for me. So I don't know maybe it is impossible to improve.

Good luck anyway. Try not to end up like me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey nobody man remember. 10,000 bad drawings before you really start to get good...lol im not to worried about it ill be fine. Dont be so hard on your self you worry to much man. Also, depends more on yourself then other people to make you better. Irritatingly hard to get good but Im willing to do the work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My feeble attemps at a "good" drawing. About a half hour. *sigh* Even my ideas are cliche and cheesy. This one i drew because im frustrated as hell rightnow because im so far behind. That's how i feel rightnow. I was lucky i came up with this one. Clothes i have problem with and the same with hands the face and anatomy. It just plain F!@#ing sucks! Let me see if i can come up with ome charecter ideas tommorow and ill post a life drawing from something in my house.

I know i wont get many posts. But Ill keep on trying.

Theres some artists in these forums who are REALLY good with pen I want to become just like them. I just cant remember their name atm.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there dude, you got a good start going on in this thread of yours.

all i can tell is keep drawing man- draw from life, look at the comic books/ magazines that inspire you and draw that favorite picture of yours, and study the artist line works, keep track with the anatomy, especially the use of lights and shadows. it's all about trial and error IMO, until you find out what really works for you in terms of style and form.

be confident on yourself man, dont tell your self you really suck, but being modest about your work is what makes a good respectable artist. and besides, you have good stuff going on in here alrady, so pls pls post some more... also try taking your time when you draw, and keep your source of inspiration close to you, whether your favorite artist or a favorite picture.

-Ven

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Yah, that last one is more on the mark, but I would say keep going with the detail. If you're down for a more cartoony look than I would say to keep pushing in that direction but if your intention is to look more realistic I would say do some photo studies where you copy the photo exactly how it is. Also anatomy would be very beneficial in creating a solid structure under your figures. So.. do some anatomy too! Have you seen this web site?
    LINK! Check it out and replicate some of these people. God knows I need it too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright! Btw thankyou guys so much for your feed back.

Vendetta: Thank you so much for your input. I am gonna try and refrain from saying my drawings suck, I really need to relax when i draw that's what i realised while drawing in school these past few days.

Adeve: I really do think i need to study photographs more and also real life drawing of objects and other things ill explain in just a sec.

Ok! her we go. Now, these drawing below have actually really made me realise some things especially the guy on white paper which i spent the longest on to see where my skills are at with finishing up a drawing and putting my ideas down on paper. I need to get into learning about clothing more and style because I'm pretty bad with designes of clothes. Details such as the face and clothing i really need to work on. I practice with some pen on one sheet (it was ball point) just to get the feel of things. Most of these were done ins chool because I didnt have ANY time at home for any drawing because of school work and projects, so this is all i have to offer for now. My anatomy is way off at times, and i think i need to start drawing some females Anyways enough talk...

Ok here is something i tried doing totally from my mind. lol didnt come out to good I think i have some bad habits. I seem to have a problem getting ideas down on paper because in my head I think i have a good idea but its actually all jumbled up and not detailed enough in my head so basically i cant make up my mind. I cant get frustrated at times i dnt concentrate on my drawing and i just worry about how im gonna draw it. It can give me a headache sometimes but i try to calm myself downa nd just let it flow.

Ballpoint pen practice just to get the feel of it, Not the style im looking for but I'll keep trying.

and now here is some nonsense school sketches i did. I did these fast to test my abilities.

ok well any feed back is welcome as always. After i get my school stuff done and have break between days Im gonna do some photograph studies and anatomy and real life drawing. Now, yes anyone who reads this I know photographs can be bad to study from because of perspective issues and everything but I think it is better than nothing but i am gonna do real life as well and try and copy some of my favortie artists work to get some ideas down. Have a good day

-Wisdom_Cube *I have spewed out words of befeeblement*

edit: LOL i just realised the small ball i did on the paper with the pen the shading and shadow is WAY OFF lol ignore that.

Last edited by Wisdom_Cube; February 22nd, 2005 at 10:11 PM.
    "One needs a certain humility to learn, arrogance never does good." Chiseledrocks.com article

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! No responses hmmm? Well, understandable theres no really thought out finished sketches in here yet but im trying. Anyways this is just a quick post because im proud of this practice session i had today. It was probably about a half hour or so. The reason i like it is because after messing around the sphere to get me started i chose something in my room that looks liked a sphere. Thus you have Buddhas head. I drew using a statue. I'm proud of it

"One needs a certain humility to learn, arrogance never does good." Chiseledrocks.com article

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Buddy!
    Good work, its nice to see so many sketches being pumped out. Now I think its time you started with those photo copies like i mentioned. Just pick up any old magazine and choose an image interests you. Sometimes when I pick an image im not really into I lose interest in drawing it. When you do that what happens is your eye conforms more and more to how the body is shaped and curved. That's all I'll say for now. I expect to see some great work coming out of you! keep it up!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and by the way, I love that buddha drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm the studies on top arent so bad...some are actually very nice...and i think your very first study is your best of them <_<

But work on the anatomical side. Its very important to get a certain feel for proper Anatomy if you want to have success in figure drawing. So dont just take Life-drawing classes ... study anatomy itself...muscles , bones etc.

May i ask how old you are ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm 19. I really wish I wouldve taken this stuff further in high school though but oh well. My problem is I dont spend enough time on these drawings, and i have trouble with coming up with some nice charecter designes and ideas. BTW why did ya want to know how old I am?

Edit: Oh, I wanted to ask. What really makes a good study. With these I just feel all mixxed up and theres no set path. Do you have any suggestions on when I'm doing a study what i should really conecntrate on?

Last edited by Wisdom_Cube; February 23rd, 2005 at 03:57 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahhh 19... a fellow under20 artist in my arms .. NO dont run away
    was just interested to know...hey 19...and you have some potencial...so draw EVERYWHERE...if you say you dont have enough time to do something than you didnt invest your time right... and patience IS important to get things running imho

Edit= proportions of the full body..muscles of the arms and torso and later legs...make also hand-studies

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HOLY (OH NO) its been a long long time, but no worries i know all of you missed me Anyways Schools been a bitch. TONS OF projects for animation but the only artwork i have to show at my convenience rightnow is a storyboard i did for part of a script. Now, it is just the artwork and no directions on the camera movement. This artwork im showing you means a lot to me because it shows how my skills have advanced as of today. Why? well i know the artwork isnt much, but i did all of this within 4 to 5 hours including the cutting out and taping these things to the board. So in personal experience I broke a personal record in quality and time limit Anyways. Here ya go. Comments and crits always welcome. I have a week off now so more to come.

These go in order

Page 1

Page 2

page 3

Page 4

Page 5

LOL anyways I think im starting to love stress. NOW TALK!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey WisdomCube, keep on trying, something that has helped me a lot in improving my drawing is to try to draw with a purpose at least once a day, for example if I have 15 minutes to draw I will try to set a goal for that session and work on that goal only. for example If I'm struggling with shading I will only do shades for fifteen minutes, I'd try holding the pencil at different angles, using different pencils, trying to memorize the five elements of light and shade and basically just try to get a feel for things. Other days I try to memorize the proportions of the body, i.e the eyebrow line is in the middle of the head, the nose line is in at 3/4, the head is five eyes wide, etc. the arm from the elbow to the tip of the fingers is two heads, etc.

There are many great people on these forums that have taken the time to do tutorials, try to find them and follow them, I like Mentler (the bone doctor), Ron Lemer (I think he goes by FredFlickstone in these forums).

Check these out, they helped me a lot
    like these tutorials by Ron Lemen, he's awesome.
    Shading
    http://www.anticz.com/drawing1.htm

Drawing hands
    http://www.anticz.com/handtut.htm

Drawing faces
    http://www.anticz.com/heads.htm

Portrait tutorials by JR. Dunster
    http://www.portrait-artist.org/index.html

And definitely check these tutorials at the Society of Figurative Arts, great anatomy lessons to be learned

http://www.tsofa.com/forum/viewforum...896d74eb1a9a78

Good luck and keep on drawing

Help your fellow artists get better.. Post a critique today!!!
    SSG 3:
    PixelDragoon
    RETEP
    Sara-san
    JustinBeckett
    Dan1989
    darkarts
    charcoalArtist (me)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You show potential. So you want to be a Manga/Comic book artist? I can say with all honesty that the best way to improve your abilities of drawing manga, and even animation, is to learn traditional drawing. I have read countless tutorials on "how to draw this and that" and they haven't helped at all. All of the master artists of manga have strong roots in traditional art. For now, you might want to put manga on the sidelines and focus more on life drawing, it will only improve your abilities drawing anything else, and it's the only way to really improve.Check out http://www.saveloomis.org Good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Will do. I havent had much inspiration over the past days to do any of my own so i guess ill take this time to do some excercises and real life drawing and studies then try and make my own stuff again and see where i need some tuning. Thank you for th replies more to come soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You, sir, must hit http://www.saveloomis.org and do a bunch of those studies. Helps immensely.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "My path to enlightment"
    Woah there kiddo, you can't just post around threads like that and post sketchbook pages... that's not how enlightment works

Okay, anyways, ye man, do life drawings.

Honest love makes one's soul a reflection of the partner's mood.

No sleep - More draw!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, for now follow SJ's advice and grab Loomis's books if you can. Plenty of good stuff in there. Keep up the life drawing, and try to do some drawing out in the world (I find the mall food court to be pretty good). Also, until you've got a solid grasp of anatomy and form, don't worry about shading. Once you understand those things, then you can start working in light and shadow.

Those storyboards do show some improvement, but you shouldn't be worried about speed at this point (unless you're under a tight deadline). Slowing down is much more valuable at this stage. Don't be afraid to erase something if it looks wrong. Try stopping at some point in the drawing and asking whether it really looks like what you are trying for. How would your favorite artist draw it. Is the pose right, the costume, the shape of the face?

Are you doing underdrawings for your stuff? Just a basic stick figure or block construction will do. Something to help you get the pose and proportions down. Well that's all for today, be back tomorrow. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, you show progress indeed.

I'd like to see some more work where you've spent some more time not rushing through things, but for now, the overall anatomy studies is a good shot for a starter as mentioned.

For the shading, if you're impatient with it, you can do the normal sphere and cube and all that stuff (I'm sure you know what I mean), and if you're really keen on it, doing photos or real life (which is always best) short studies like you do now (it appears like that in the first post at least), notice where the shadow is the strongest, make lines or hard shade that, and you'll get a tighter grasp on it later on.

"The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something I think you'd benefit from in the Loomis books is how he constructs figures and heads from 3d objects. At the moment most of your heads are viewed front-on, or from the side, which makes them look flat. You've already started this with your basic forms page. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would say next time you do some life drawing, try just blocking in the shapes, with lines showing motion or curvature of anatomy. I looks like you try to just nail the proportions through outline of the figure, and things here and there start to look off. Instead, try doing the entire figure in just lines first, really lay down the basic pose. You will be able to easily fix proportion errors at that point.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep working on proportions most of your people drawing look off. i.e. the man smoking a ciggarette has a tiny head.... Keep at it though!

If i shoot the J then its "Good"

please hit up the SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Apparently you're the opposite of me: I don't like drawing everything but faces
    I you need inspiration, you can always look at other people's sketchbook or the DSG on this forum. It helps for me.
    Reading also helps to come up with new characters. Or just lying somewhere and quietly thinking. If I do this for half an hour, I always get so unbelievably full of ideas. But you need time for this of course..
    I like your cartoony characters btw.

This post wasn't very useful I guess..
    Keep up drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey wisedom cube! im an animation student too : ) keep on progressing in your sketchbk thread! try doing more figure and anatomy studies, they really help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ama the new guy on your Sketch suppot group.
    you know everyone else has already said it
    draw from life !
    and i think you show a good progress - keep it up cube.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You might also consider Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards. There's also a workbook. Having some structure early on is a proven way to increase the improvement rate. Not that you're doing badly, but you seem to really want to really improve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.