Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nealo's Sketchbook: -Updated Feb 28th- HELP!

Thanks

Nealo's Sketchbook: -Updated Feb 28th- HELP!

Hello!

I've never been a great artist and I've always thought that art was something that you either had or you didn't. And so, in the tradition of MindCandyMan and Soja, I will embark on a ridiculously long journey to become a better artist by drawing every day, studying, and hopefully receiving advice from all of you.

Well, I might as well post some stuff.

Also: if anyone has tips on scanning artwork, I would appreciate it. My scanning didn't go so well for my first pieces and I don't have photoshop to correct the contrast with. Anyway, I would love any feedback/suggestions.

I'll start with stuff I've done in the past month or so. Just to warn you, some of it will be very bad. I plan on re-posting these after I darken them but at the moment I don't have the means to darken them. Sorry about how light they are!

Wish me luck!

Drawn from a picture of my friend Matt
    First drawing of Vezzini from The Princess Bride
    Second attempt
    ----------------------------------
    Vezzini ref is here
    Just screwing around
    Drew the woman from a magazine
    Random drawing of Bruce Lee from the internet
    Bruce Lee ref is here
    Some guy from google image search
    Random-ass dude ref is here
    My favorite scratch DJ: DJ Qbert... not sure it really looks that much like him
    Ref is here

-Nealo!
    Last edited by Nealo; February 28th, 2005 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Adding update alert to sketchbook title
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Great start! I see talent and potential in your sketches. It's brave of you to plunge headfirst into portraits, as they are tough to master at first. I suggest checking out a few figure drawing books from the library, especially those that highlight drawing the head from a geometric standpoint (starting w/ a circle/oval and building with 3 dimensional shapes).

Just a few words of advice, keep drawing!

Thanks
    Thanks for your feedback Bennett! I've been told to check out Bridgeman's Figure Drawing. I tried to find it today but it was out of stock so I might have to buy it online. Another friend of mine who's on CA forums as Kinokuniya told me that Burne Hogarth's books are worth checking out. I looked at his book on the human head today and it seemed like good stuff.

Thanks again for the encouragement!

-Nealo!

Thanks
    yo-
    I'm about to turn in but here's some quickies:
    Make sure to focus - when your drawing - on likeness instead of symbolism. What i mean by this is most of grow up unkowlingly baraged with symbolic representations of objects. In example - Football shaped eyes. We subconciously associate the eye with the shape of a football and thus that form leaks out when we try to recreate the eye through artwork. In reality eyes are very rarely football shaped (though those of asian ethinicity tend to come close). Look closely at the shape of the eye lid and double lid ( if present ) then at the lower portion. I like to break the upper lid into three sections shaped much more like a hexagon half (crude representation : /---\ but you'll get the idea). The bottom varies from circular to ovular to almond. Also the pupils in matts pic are very dialated making them look flat ( b/c the iris is missing ). But you showed better reps. in the magazine woman pic.
    Secondly - dont be afraid to show some forehead. Remember eyes are actually placed in the middle of the face (vertically) if you're looking straight on. That means most of the area above them should be forehead - ( assuming they dont have an abnormal hairline ) Not only will it help propotionally but it will give the head more dimension. Keep in mind the volume that a head takes up in space .

oh and it would be good if you posted ur refs with the pics - even if you feel its the worst peice of art you have ever brought into the world . It will definitely help us crit your work more accurately - especially if your going for photorealism. If your not going solely for photorealism, i advise you definitely grab a bridgeman or continue working loomis and practice those as well. Keep drawing from photos / life as much as possible.

Keep up the good work !

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kinokuniya
    oh and it would be good if you posted ur refs with the pics - even if you feel its the worst peice of art you have ever brought into the world . It will definitely help us crit your work more accurately - especially if your going for photorealism. If your not going solely for photorealism, i advise you definitely grab a bridgeman or continue working loomis and practice those as well. Keep drawing from photos / life as much as possible.

Keep up the good work !
    Thanks for the input! I posted the refs for the pictures I had scanned. Thanks for the advice. I am not necessarily going for photo realism in the long-run, but I think I need to work on being as realistic as possible before trying anything especially stylistic. I just picked up Bridgman's Life Drawing today from my library and have already started working through it. I will post work tomorrow evening. Thanks for all of the encouraging remarks!

-NEALO!

P.S. BICEPTASCRUPIT!

Thanks

New Sketches for Feb 16th

Hey everyone!

Did these studies from Bridgman's Life Drawing this morning. I also drew a few of my keys just for fun. I'm trying to improve proportions by drawing proportionate models. Any suggestions? Thanks for your time!

Some heads from Loomis, a random drawing of some kind of dog-thing, a key, and some Bridgman models

Bridgman studies and a key

-NEALO!

Thanks
    Welcome to CA!

You're off to a wonderful start. Far ahead of me when I started! It's very good that you already draw facial features with shading not lines.

Loomis and Bridgman are very good artists to study, you'll learn so much from them!

Your first 3 drawings and the portrait of DJ Qbert are your best, I think. Are they posted in random order, or in chronological order? Anyway, be sure to keep your eye out for the proportions and anatomy! Some of your portrait's eyes are too small. Remember that the head is 5 eye widths wide! You'll learn all that good stuff from Bridgman.

For right now you've shown a lot of potential and talent as the others have said. Keep drawing for sure as much as possible and you'll see a huge improvement in 3 months for sure. MCM and Soja are great inspirations! MCM was my inspiration to start drawing!

Looking forward to seeing more work from you and seeing how you progress along with the rest of us!

Ian
    Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Hey Ian!

Thanks so much for the feedback and kind words! I posted the pictures in chronological order. Everything you've said is very good advice and I plan to follow it. I just looked at your sketchbook, and you've made a lot of improvement! It's nice to hear advice from someone who's been on the same path as I have.

Thanks again!

Thanks
    I've tried this same thing, but I found it didn't matter how much or what I did I never improved. So don't get your hopes up, you may just be wasting your time....the dissapointment was absolutely crushing for me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NobodyYouWouldKnow
    I've tried this same thing, but I found it didn't matter how much or what I did I never improved. So don't get your hopes up, you may just be wasting your time....the dissapointment was absolutely crushing for me.
    I must say, that is some of the worst advice I've ever heard. If you can't do something, it doesn't matter how bad you are at it, you can improve. You have to know how to improve though. If you try every day and every night to do something better and it just won't work, try improving in some other area. For example, if you can't learn proportion, practice shading, lighting, line, shape, drawing animals, drawing objects, whatever. There's something out there that you can get better at. Some things you might have to learn a little later.

I have learned this lesson again and again. I am a scratch DJ, so I practice all the time. It's the same thing: you just have to practice everything and in time, you will get better.

I once decided I wanted to learn how to solved a Rubik's cube in under a minute. I thought it would be impossible, since I'd never had any luck with a cube. So I found some instructions, worked through them, and after a week, I solved the cube. Then, I spent time solving it over and over again until I was faster. Next, I found other strategies that would improve my solving time. Finally, I solved the cube in 57 seconds and my goal was achieved. It took two years, but I did it. Now I can solve a rubik's cube with no problems whether it's the standard 3x3x3 cube, the 4x4x4 cube, or even the massive 5x5x5 cube. It's all about practicing, knowing what to practice, and devotion. I would suggest giving art a second try. Keep watching this sketchbook. I gaurantee you'll see improvement in it.

Thanks
    My critique was undermined by your facial studies later on in the thread. Keep them coming. For me, I find that different angles viewing the face can be DAMN hard. I'd like to see more complete pieces, but you have started well, so keep posting!
    He who asks is a fool for five minutes,
    but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Starting over.

Thanks

A sketch a day keeps the... I'm not really sure what it keeps away. I know it's good.

Hello!

I have uploaded many more sketches on this fine Thursday morning. Sorry again about the scanner. I shall scan them all again when I own one. Until then, I'm still trying to figure out how best to use the one at my college's library.

Anyway, for the most part these are just Bridgman studies. I also drew my hand and a friend of my brothers. Enjoy!

Also, as usual, any tips or suggestions would be EXTREMELY helpful.

Thanks!

Some more Bridgman studies
    Some more more Bridgman studies
    Started doing Bridgman studies, then decided "HEY! I'm gonna draw my freaking hand!" so I did
    Bridgman studies on balance- had a lot of trouble conveying good balance
    Picture of my brother's friend Danny!
    -----------------------------------
    Danny ref is here
    -----------------------------------
    Last edited by Nealo; February 17th, 2005 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Sorry for all the editing! Adding reference photo

Thanks
    Nice update-
    Newest portrait shows lots of improvement along with the hand pictures. Your shading is comming along and but more importantly the proportions in the portrait are a lot better than those before.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast