small environments
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

small environments

Hi I am working on small environment areas, for mappers to create a game level,
    im a complete noob to this, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Also working on some concepts for mechanics in the game attached one of those too.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Malward; February 11th, 2005 at 10:00 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there,

those r some nice drawings you made. I like the first one best because it's kinda neat and clean. For a mapper it would be easy to work with such illustrations. But your sketches don't say anything about the map in general - concerning tactics, spawn points and strategy possibillities. A map overview would be nice.
    The maps look cool on the first sight and it seems that one could have some fun rulin that map. But it's not a specified location so that you could say it is e.g. an oilrig or a base camp - it rather looks like some scifi deathmatch arena where there is no real meaning to the buildings and stuff. I mean, what was this thing built for originally, was it a gas station, a town - ya know what I mean?! Or is it just some random killer box?

Anyway, keep up the good work and give some details for better c&c concerning purpose (deathmatch, capture the flag etc.) of the map and for what game it shall be made, and some building instructions (if there are any needed)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the comments,

its hard to explain the use of this area without going into detail of the game story etc..
    The game in itself is an rpg type game, the area here is a small village or dwelling divided by a raised cross shaped platform that is used to navigate to the parts of the village.

hope this helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rpg, hm! Well, I just can't imagine what people actually live in those dwellings. The town shows no specified infratructure, I mean, you can't see a blacksmith or a wal mart or something like that in there, yet. Just some unknown buildings. I wouldn't be able to tell weather there live aliens or humans, weather it is on some planet or on earth etc.

They're really well done but just not that expressive, maybe because of the perspective and the work progress.

Loved to see some more illustrations for more info.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the drawings, very clear and easy to understand. Just the sort of thing a mapper could use.

Concept wise...when doing this sort of work I try to incorporate a few things into mine.

1. Key Landmark: Make something very unique in each area, so the gamer will remember that area by that unique object: statue, Graffiti, collaped building, fire, Plant, fountain, unusual colored building. This object should not be used elsewhere and is unique to this small area. This sort of thing will also help those who are poor at 3D spacial recognition. It gives them landmarks to navigate by.

Even if the area has a bigger theme, such as slums, cathedral, still give each smaller component of it some memorable visual object.

2. Visual High points: Some areas when possible should be visual high points. The amazing vista shot that makes the player stop and look. The sort of thing that people like to show in screen shots. Obviously everyplace can't be this, but it's important to design a few that are.

3. Story telling: Incorporate some things that may help add personality to the people that use this area. Personal items, obsessions, job related items etc. These can help add to the effectiveness of #1 and #2.

Hope some of this helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like the crisp lines but i feel the shadows could have more depth and let the levels sort of pop at u

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the advice, getting to work now and think those tips are excellent

ill try working more character and maybe include some figures into the area, and try to add more depth into the scenes.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.