Painter 7 Custom brush organizing tutorial

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Painter 7 Custom brush organizing tutorial

Originally posted by Bathgate66
    Can someone please show me how to use the brushes that you download into Painter 7. I need someone to really really dumb down the explanation because I've been trying the longest time to use the brushes I downloaded but I can't seem to open them in painter 7. Anyone, please??
    Hi Bathgate66,

Please don't feel dumb, this must be one of the most asked questions about Painter.

The answer depends on the file structure that the person donating has provided. This can range from a single xml file (which is effectively your brush) to a complete library.

In order to know where to place the brushes, it is first best to unzip the downloaded file onto your desktop (assuming the file was originally zipped) and take a look at what there is.

A single brush (xml) file may be on it's own, or inside a folder. Inside the folder may also be a readme document (with some text details about using the brush, or even where to put the brush). This will therefore be the first thing to open and read. If the single brush (xml) file is a captured dab type, inside the folder will also be the captured dab jpg image. This will have the same name as the brush, but instead of .xml, it will end in .jpg. There is also a remote possibility that there will be another .xml file, with the same brush name, but this time having a 'c_' in front of it. This latter file is a temporary copy file of the original (sometimes containg unsaved setting changes) and you can safely delete it. As a side note, when you select a brush in Painter 7 and choose 'restore default variant', it is this 'c_' file which will be deleted.

All Painter 7 brushes have to reside in the 'Brushes' folder, which in turn resides inside the Painter 7 application folder. In earlier versions of Painter, brush files could be placed anywhere. As this single xml file is not a brush library, the easiest thing to do is to open the Painter 7 brushes folder, look for a existing, brush library folder and place it inside one of the brush category folders (which you will see has other .xml files inside). Remember though, that if the brush is a captured dab type, you will also need to move the captured dab jpg image to the same folder as the brush. Now, when you load the brush library, you should see the name of the new brush you have added when you select the brush category (e.g Airbrushes) which you added the new brush too. Ideally, try not to add new brushes to the default Painter brushes library, as this is already quite large, and as all the current library brushes are loaded into RAM, this may slow the brushes down.

Instead of adding the single brush to a brush category within an existing brush library, you could make a new library for your single brush (and other custonm brushes you wish to add). To do this, first create a new folder directly inside the main Painter 7 'Brushes' folder. Name this folder 'Custom set 1' or something more descriptive. Now, create another folder inside this one. This inner folder will be a brush category within your Custom set 1 library. It is this folder where you will place any .xml files (and any associated captured dab jpg's). Name this inner folder something descriptive to give you an idea of the type of brushes which will be inside the category ('My Chalks') for example. You now need one more item; a 30 x 30 pixel jpg image (dimensions critical) which we call a category jpg icon. It is this icon image which will be displayed in the Painter brushes palette when the library is loaded. You can easily make this yourself in Painter or Photoshop. Save the image in jpg format and give it the came name as the brush category folder, except with an added file type extension (e.g 'My Chalks.jpg'). Finally, place this jpg image direcctly inside the folder titled in this example 'Custom set 1'. You are now the proud owner of a new brush library. You can add further brushes to the category folder, or create more brush categories.

To create more brush categories for the above library, it is easier to do this inside Painter. Load the library in Painter and a blank canvas (not layer) paint an image to be used as your new category icon (this can be significantly larger than 30x30 pixels). Now, in the tools palete, select the rectangular selection tool and drag a roughly square bounding box around the area of image you wish to capture. Next, in the brushes palette, choose Brush>New Brush and name the new brush category in the resulting dialogue box. Click OK, and Painter will do the rest. You can move brushes from existing categories in the current library using the brushes>Variant>Copy Variant feature, or you can manually move them as described earlier.

The second type of downloaded brush resource you are likely to find is the complete brush library. On my downloads section, all the brushes fall into this category. Simply unzip the file (if required) and open the folder. With my brushes, there will invariably be two items inside this folder; a readme document and another folder which is a complete brush library. You can tell that it is a brush library, because when you look inside the folder, you will see at least one other folder (the brush category containing all the xml files) and another .jpg file of the same name (the brush category jpg icon). If there is more than one brush category, then each will have a folder and jpg image. In this case, simply remove the library from the outer folder (the first one you saw when you unzipped the file) and place it directly inside your Brushes folder. You should now be able to load the library using the 'load library' feature in the left Brushes palette dropdown menu.

The import button (in the load library dialogue window) is specifically for importing brush libraries formatted for earlier versions of Painter. In this case, Painter converts the old library to Painter 7 readable xml format.

I know it may seem like rocket science, but I can promise you that it all takes much longer to write about it than to do it.

Whoo!!

:beer: Time for a beer.

Please don't hesitate to ask if there is anything you are not clear about. There are no dumb questions, a person is only dumb not to ask.

David

Last edited by sandman; February 24th, 2003 at 04:45 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the detail xplanation sandman, that was kind of you. I still can't get it to work however. When I try to load it from painter it doesn't recognize any of the files. For example I go to C drive and find the brushes folder inside are just more folders but it doesn't ready any .jpg or .xml and I can't change the extension on the file dialogue box as it's set on brush library. brs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, I finally found a way to load the bruhes but instead of creating a folder within a folder within the brush folder, I had to eliminate the second folder and extract to the first folder inside the brush folder. Ack, thanks for everything sand man. I have one more question if you don't mind-what's the equivalent of the smudge or blur tool in photoshop for painter?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the detail xplanation sandman, that was kind of you. I still can't get it to work however. When I try to load it from painter it doesn't recognize any of the files. For example I go to C drive and find the brushes folder inside are just more folders but it doesn't ready any .jpg or .xml and I can't change the extension on the file dialogue box as it's set on brush library. brs
    It sounds like you are trying to use the 'Import' brush library button to import a Painter 7 brush library into Painter 7. This will not work as this feature is specifically for importing older format brush libraries found in Painter 6 and below. These will originally have a '.BRS' or '.brs' file extension (on the PC) as they are not Painter 7 format brushes.

When you choose the 'load library' option from the bottom of the left hand drop down menu in the Brushes palette, you should see all your Painter 7 brush libraries listed in the resulting dialogue window (you may need to scroll down if you have many). Highlight the brush library you want and click the 'Load' button. You should not have to navigate your C drive to do this. Your chosen brush library should now be loaded and ready to use.

If you have earlier versions of Painter, or come across any Painter brush libraries on the web which are pre- Painter 7 .xml format, then you can use the import option to make them available to Painter 7, (provided that they are written for your platform). Older PC formatted brushes will have a .BRS or .brs file extension. Mac versions can be recognised by their distinct icon. During the import process, Painter automatically converts the old format to .xml, extracts any custom icons and sets everything up relating to the library in the Brushes folder in Painter 7.

David

Last edited by sandman; February 24th, 2003 at 04:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, I finally found a way to load the bruhes but instead of creating a folder within a folder within the brush folder, I had to eliminate the second folder and extract to the first folder inside the brush folder. Ack, thanks for everything sand man. I have one more question if you don't mind-what's the equivalent of the smudge or blur tool in photoshop for painter?
    Certain (if not all) Photoshop brushes may be impossible to exactly emulate in Painter 7 due to the different algorithms used. It is also possible that the algorithms used are copyright of the respective company. Photoshop's dodge and burn, smudge tool and airbrush all seem to work better than Painter's equivalents. Some people work between the two applications to get the best of both worlds. Photoshop's emphasis has traditionally been on photo retouching and image manipulation, whereas Painter's strength is in it's natural media emulation.

In the Photo category of Painter's default library you will find a blur brush. I also have a blur palette knife variant available in my Palette knives collection. There are also various blur options in the Effects>Focus menu, which may also be applied to a selection.

The Pickup Claw brush, (from my Tubular forms collection) has smudging properties. You can also adjust the bleed and opacity values to suit.

Both the Palette knives and Tubular Forms brushes can be downloaded from my website; Click here

David

Last edited by sandman; February 24th, 2003 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I downloaded the oil drip tool on your site cuz it looked like something I might use a lot. Thanks for the link.

Besides the tools on your page do you also have tutorials? I saw this one tutorial by Tseng who worked on this Chun Li painting and it turned out phenomenal. I wonder if he used additional layers or he used just the one layer because I've tried to duplicate the technique using multiple layers and it doesn't turn out quite so clean.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I downloaded the oil drip tool on your site cuz it looked like something I might use a lot. Thanks for the link.

Besides the tools on your page do you also have tutorials? I saw this one tutorial by Tseng who worked on this Chun Li painting and it turned out phenomenal. I wonder if he used additional layers or he used just the one layer because I've tried to duplicate the technique using multiple layers and it doesn't turn out quite so clean.
    Sorry, I don't have tutorials at present. One problem that I have is rather limited webspace, so I'm trying to keep the site as lean as possible to have enough room for the download resources.

You will find a lot of technical info on Jinny Brown's website; Click here
    Other than that, it's a case of surfing the web newsgroups and forums for sites of individual artists.

David

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay-I'll do some searches on google. Thanks for everything you've really helped me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I seem to be having a problem.

I downloaded your P7 Palette Knives library and placed them in my P7 brushes folder, but when igo to import I cant select any files in the folder the library. The only type available for importing are .BRS files......

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

If you downloaded a Painter 7 brush library and placed it in ...

Painter 7 > Brushes

... you don't need to click the Import button. All Painter 7 brush libraries, when they're located in the Painter 7 > Brushes folder can be loaded.

In the Brushes palette's brush category list, scroll to the bottom and click Load Library. The Brush Libraries dialog box opens displaying a list of all available Painter 7 brush libraries.

Scroll down the Brush Libraries list and highlight the brush library you want to load.

Click the Load button. Now the brush library should be loaded and ready to use.

The Import button is used to import (and convert) earlier version brush libraries (.brs files).

Good luck,

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.