Newbie needs some help w/ drawing tablets

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Newbie needs some help w/ drawing tablets

I wasn't sure where to post this question, so if a mod can direct it into the proper category, feel free.

I'm looking to move from traditional media to digital.

Any recommendations on drawing tablets? I would like to maintain a pencil line quality to my work, but have the ability to add digital color and effects. I've never used a tablet before and I want something that's good quality with a quick learning curve.

Any software recommendations? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use a Wacom graphire 3, and I love it. decent amount of pressure levels, and it's very responsive. make sure to get the best quality. There's no point in wasting cash on a tablet that you won't use because it blows

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unless you have a solid understanding and hand in traditional media to begin with, going digital will not make you any better an artist. If you don't fall into that group of people who think digital art=easy and looks great! then ignore that part.

I've used both the Graphire2 and Intuos2, which I still currently use.

Graphire is a great starting tablet, cheaper, but with nearly the same feel of the more expensive Intuos. I did notice that Graphire seemed to work better for just digitally coloring scanned pencil linework, and had some issues with straight lines compared to the Intuos. This may have just been the one I was using.

Always go Wacom, Wacom tablets offer the best customer support and are fair more durable in the long run. Other brands may require batteries in the pen, or may not work with Painter, or Photoshop correctly.

Dead dog for sale - Skulldog Studio - Sketch Journal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulldog
    Unless you have a solid understanding and hand in traditional media to begin with, going digital will not make you any better an artist. If you don't fall into that group of people who think digital art=easy and looks great! then ignore that part.
    Then I'll just ignore that part... lol.

right now I simply scan drawings and use photoshop for color...

I'd like something that eliminates the scanning part of the equation... so i can sketch directly into the computer... that's why i'm concerned about maintaining the line quality of pencil... especially for quick sketch...

saw some of the stuff koro(?) had done and was amazed that he had used a tablet for the illustrations... pushed me over the edge into making the investment...

does the wacom interface with photoshop pretty well? would anyone suggest learning painter instead?

BTW... when I said newbie, I meant to the boards... not to illustration.

Last edited by houdini; February 10th, 2005 at 04:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah wacom's work awesome with photoshop and painter. So the preferance is yours .. i also need to invest into a new tablet..i got one for christmas 2 years ago and its still in the box!!! ( but ive been doing my traditional media skills for my college portfolio..so fun with that comes later)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.