Are there any Women in here?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are there any Women in here?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Are there any Women in here?

Ah the joy of internet forums, every avatar is merely a very strange face for either man or woman. Purely out of interest and the need to know who is actually female here?

I'm only asking because I seem to be in the minority. I did a few years of design, a largely male dominated area and now I have an eye for the concept art.

And just to make this thread even more intersting does anybody actually know why more men are drawn (no pun intended) to concept art or similar fields such as graphic design?

Post your answers on a postcard to.....

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops, I have a work station.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

jetpack42 is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blackhawk is a lady.

or at least very ladylike.

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

http://www.endlessunlimited.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hellew, f here. environment artist/designer working in games.

as for the male vs female concept art thing, there are many female artists out there working in games and movies, just not recognised. this concept art forum doesn't represent the entire industry! look at the credits for movies in the artist section, there are many women in various art-related jobs.

other than that, since there IS a majority, i think the reasons are purely interest; more men are drawn to videogames by nature and by history [from the very beginning it was mostly guys who played videogames. and many of those guys are making art for games these days] as for graphic design, i'm not sure. but again design is a large field, you may find there are many women in other kinds of design [fashion for example].

..but that's my 2c anyway

~ l

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a lady, and an animator in the gaming field. Nova nailed it right on with the interest thing. I grew up on games, so I have a job making them. I'm pretty young too, and a good portion of my generation is starting to get out there, especially the women. So, yeah, horray for the ladies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    me, dished, liqoh, zap, ladylioness, yina and a few others...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for responding.

Taking this slightly off topic and to quote nova:
    from the very beginning it was mostly guys who played videogames.
    This I agree with I think I was unduly influenced by my brother twas he that had me interested in videogames at a young age. I discovered the delights of Weaons Assisted Fustration Release to be a great benefit to my stress levels.

Still on the interests angle:
    actually, I also faced this growing up. when my male peers said they wanted to be artists, they were pointed towards graphic design, animation, illustration... when I said I wanted to be an artist, I was told i could paint landscapes and/or be an art teacher.(
    Okay I nicked this off the stereotype discussion thread but it still holds true. When I was at school years ago, we had a chance to take a week at the local art college. We had a few choices and I specifically remember putting down that I wanted spend the week doing graphic design (with incidentally all the boys) and where did I end up? I lumped in with the rest of the girls doing fashion. Grrr makes so mad! I wish I had had the guts to say I didn't want to do this, don't know why I didn't.

Anyway I digress back onto topic, I'm assuming that the ladies on this forum are somewhat interested in videogames etc and do you have any other 'unladylike' interests like collecting medival weaponry instead of shoes that sort of thing? And ppl have wondered why you're not into fashio like that rest of them?

Feel free to rant.

Last edited by Perfiditty; February 8th, 2005 at 10:11 AM.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops, I have a work station.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fozzybar is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i am not...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfiditty
    .... I'm assuming that the ladies on this forum are somewhat interested in videogames etc and do you have any other 'unladylike' interests like collecting medival weaponry instead of shoes that sort of thing?

I cut my toenails with a butcher knife, does that count? But I guess grooming might be considered "ladylike."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Female also, but easily confused for male on and offline.

I always wondered why fewer females take up concept art, usually in favor of crappy flower and puppy paintings..

Dead dog for sale - Skulldog Studio - Sketch Journal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    duhhhhhhh! women can't make art!! just babies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cotron

OH! that was so sexist...

Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    originally posted by cotron
    Unforunately one of them was you (just joshing! )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, zing!

nice one, perf

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    At the moment there is very much a 90% population of males on my BA Computer Animation degree. Women are shared between our men you see!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im F. In my school it's pretty much half n' half. Half are female, the other half could be mistaken for female....
    (bad me bad)

Batman gives me warm fuzzies

my sketches

my web

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Add me to the chick list. As for my old art school, I think the ratio of guys and girls at RISD isn't too lopsided, but most of the guys there are gay anyway. Ho hum.

Unlady-like things? Well, aside from the obvious video game obsession, I'm a baseball fan (although baseball is becoming rather unisex, 'specially here in Boston), I have more knowledge of 80s boys cartoons than I care to admit, I had a Batman obsession when I was 13 (screw make-up, bring on Mask of the Phantasm!) and I have pet rats. I know rats aren't the icon of macsculinity, but it beats owning a poodle or chiuaua (sp?) anyday.

I hope there are more girls in the concept art industry - when I worked in the R&D dept for My Little Pony and I was surrounded by girls... only, the girls who think pink is awesome and rainbows are t3h $h*t.

But I will say that the other ladies I met in SF, no matter how few (what was there, 20 of us out of the 300 guys?), were awesome beyond words and funny as all hell. I hope to meet many more people like them down the road.

...so was this thread a trap for all of the lonely guys to find out where the chicks are?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jetpack42
    Blackhawk is a lady.

or at least very ladylike.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blackhawk...is that you on your avatar?!

Well this thread is good coz I'll need help from the women on the forum one of these days. My business plans centers around the spending power of women

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyway I digress back onto topic, I'm assuming that the ladies on this forum are somewhat interested in videogames etc and do you have any other 'unladylike' interests like collecting medival weaponry instead of shoes that sort of thing? And ppl have wondered why you're not into fashio like that rest of them?

Electronics.

Zap

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by darth massacre
    Blackhawk...is that you on your avatar?!

Well this thread is good coz I'll need help from the women on the forum one of these days. My business plans centers around the spending power of women
    LOL, no, it isn't, just a gif I found that had me cracking up, so I grabbed it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol R&D for my little pony. Tell us more!

A male hamsta myself. so lick me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am one ! weeeeee, a woman I mean not a lady.

Well I dunno, in my graphic design school 90% were girls (like about out of 50 people maybe 5 guys). The men were sadly outnumbered. Many were beginning to worry that the field they were entering was filled with either females or gays.

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfiditty
    And just to make this thread even more intersting does anybody actually know why more men are drawn (no pun intended) to concept art or similar fields such as graphic design?

Post your answers on a postcard to.....
    hate to resort to the old stereotype, but I feel it holds well enough true. Men are more visually driven than woman. Woman, I believe, more so with content than the superficial aesthetic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow

In my art school, it was about 50/50. I think girls are definatly becoming more interested in gaming and whatnot than they used to be. Just like more guys are starting to go into fahion design and interior, girls will be going into concepart and gaming, etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ZapRadon
    ...ppl have wondered why you're not into fashio like that rest of them?
    I got a lot of crap from my Mom when I was in middle school for not dressing like the popular girls and doing cheerleading, etc. My style of dress was a dragon T-shirt w/pewter dragon pendant, jeans and a ponytail if I was feeling ambitious.

Maybe woman artists simply have their thoughts occupied by their next doodle or when the next issue of Batman hits the shelves. I do know a number of very trendy-dressing chick artists out there, not ot mention the apparrel students at my old school. So I dunno, fashion was just never in my blood, personally. I find that when I DO dress up nice nowadays, it's sometimes out of insecurity rather than the desire to look good.

Hamsta: Well, there was a lot of pink and I had about 80 or so ponies stuffed into my cubicle for "reference". Ponies have magnets in their hooves now, so I had them stuck to my walls and hanging upside down... it was a pastel jungle for sure.

Honestly, working in the toy industry is as much fun as it sounds; I had to walk through the R&D dept for Nerf everyday and I was usually hit with a stray football (I'll pretend that most of those cases were pure accident), got to test out new shooty-things, rode a unicycle one day and it wasn't uncommon to see someone's boss cruise by on a Power Wheels jeep. That and I got to watch kids play with toys from behind the one-way mirror. MWAHAHAA!

As for the stuff I did, it was cute. All of it. No in-between. Cute sorta comes naturally to my style but it grates on me nowadays and it was tough to keep up an acceptable level of cuteness for a while. Now that I'm freelancing, I have a smidge more variety so I'm not despising "cute" as much whenever Hasbro needs work from me. w00t.

But I digress. Yay for chick artists and our utter weirdness.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My two cents...

yeah, i was wondering if it was really as unbalanced a ratio as it looked....in my school, most of the people who take art classes are girls, which may have something to do with that its an all girls school, but the guys school across the street takes their art classes over here also, so i dunno...

nevertheless, i still feel rather out of place. i was raised (gee, thanks, mum) on a steady diet of no videogames, so i've never really been aspiring to go into the game industry. Looks fun, but it’s a lot of stuff I don’t have any understanding of.

and while i despise the fashion industry, i love the individuality of being able to choose one's own style. and the best way to personalize a style is to create it oneself! thus i am incredibly interested in DIY clothing and alternative fashion design. i personally dont see why people can stand to wear the same thing everyone else is wearing. ‘wearable art’ is more than just possible, your clothing can very well be an extension of your personality.

and in an answer to "unladylike" interests, i can claim a lot, im sure. but theyve never really occurred to me as such, theyre so ingrained. although my mother despairs, actually, hehe. she was such a tomboy, and here i am with very little interest in team sports, though i am very active in karate. she was never interested in art, either, though, so….

Personally, when I think of ‘artsy’ people, I think of women, so its always odd to me when there are so few of them on forums and such.

motivation, yo!

Every time I paint a portrait I lose a friend. ~John Singer Sargent
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. - Mark Twain

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I was in art school the VAST majority in computer degrees were men, probably even 90%+. However in the fashion design, jewelry design the majority were female, probably 90%+. In the majors such as fine art (painting and scultpture and graphic design I think it was more mixed with perhaps a 60%/40% M/F ratio.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.