Art: A book on Reilly method

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A book on Reilly method

Hey Guys
    Im just starting to get into painting and i've heard from a few places about the Frank Reilly method. I read on the net that they teach it at a few places like watts ateliar but since i live in australia there is no chance of me going there to study it. Just wondering if there are any books written detailing the method or any additional info anyone can give me about it? I've heard little bits and pieces of theory behind it and it sounds very interesting but i was hoping for something with a bit more detail.
    Anyway thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the link
    I was hoping for something more about his actual painting technique tho. I noticed it said on that page that there is a book on his figure drawing techniques by Faragasso, and at jackfaragasso.com it says he has written a book on painting which i assume would be using the reilly method but it has been put on hold. Are there no other books around?

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The Reilly method is so in-depth, and the separate parts so interrelated, that trying to learn it from books is a difficult proposition. It really needs to be taught. That being said, there have been books written decribing parts of Reilly's system. You'll have to do your own Googling, but this should make that easier.

The Student's Guide to Painting, by Jack Faragasso: out of print, and incredibly expensive used, but very in-depth. Faragasso's figure drawing book is self-published, and still available.

Mastering the Craft of Painting, by Angelo John Grado: Also out of print, but easier to come by than Faragasso. Also more excessible, but, consequently, much more simplified. Covers drawing and painting, but only half the book is actually Reilly material.

The Fine Art of Portraiture, by Frank Covino: Covino's teaching started out based on Reilly, especially in the palette set up, and this, his first book, has the most Reilly material. His later books add more and more personal modifications (not necessarily bad, but not Reilly). Also, needless to say, out of print.

Values for Pictures Worth A Thousand Words, by Apollo Dorian: Self published, but still available. I don't have a copy, but from what I understand it's straight notes from Reilly's classes. Lots of information, but in pretty raw, unedited form.

The Artist's Atelier, by Henry Doren: Stay away from this one. It's another self published (actually, print-on-demand) collection of notes from Reilly's classes, but so amaturish and confusing that it would do anyone who isn't already familiar with the material more harm than good.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks elwell. that faragasso book is insanely expensive, so if you know anyone who has it photocopy it, thats what i did. definately not the same quality. i forgot covino was also a student of reilly. that explains some of his work.

some of the tutorials ron has posted briefly go over the reilly aproach to drawing but not painting.

-dns

Ottosketch.com
    LOTR, Halo, Heroes Sketchcards from Topps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't worry if you can't find Faragasso's book. The knowledge is better presented and more affordable in books by Andrew Loomis, Howard K. Forsberg, George Passantino, the Famous Artist Course, and prominent Arts Student League painters. Much of the information is through Reilly or his students, which is based on Dean Cornwell, Norman Rockwell and Andrew Loomis' painting instructor's teachings at the Art Student's League, Frank V. Dumond.

Members who have read this thread: 5