Concept art
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Concept art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Concept art

Hello everyone - I really like the site, and the art is excellent. I was wondering if some people would help me, I would like to learn to do concept art, and I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to help me understand a little better about some of the skills/processes involved.
    When I looked on some of the other threads this program called Painter 7 came up quite a bit, sorry to sound really stupid but could someone give me some inforamtion on that?

Thanks for your help.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not the greatest conceptual artist, but I'd say that it's about 40% of using shapes properly, and 60% of your ingenuity/conceptual thinking. You can get all the teaching in the world, but without the proper thinking process your drawings will look like crap.

Not all processes that people use to get their concepts down will apply for you. I suggest trying out some techniques, like using large shapes, distorting them, then adding details. Just gotta think of the design aspect of the thing. Use references from nature, modern technology, and other movies/illustrations/art. It's ok to use reference, but never copy

Sorry if that wasn't much help, I just can't jot down my exact process because I don't have one. It differs from project to project.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats cool. Thanks for your reply. I was also wondering what this "Painter 7" program is?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't offer any advice to concept art as I'm new to it myself... however about Painter...

Have you heard of Photoshop? Painter is similar, however it is greared more towards digital painting, as the name suggests.

http://www.procreate.com/product/painter7.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh I see, is it easier to use?:beer:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its supercharged digital paint, tries to copy traditional materials. photoshop is easier to get clean results with, painter requires you to have a little bit of real life painting technique...which leaves you with about a gajillion ways to get things done anyway.

It's got to be more than a memory, or is life just a fantasy and a piss in the sand?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

Painter 7 is, for some, more difficult than Photoshop, and for some it's far easier, or more intuitive. I fall into the latter category.

Though Photoshop is a great program, and does some things better than Painter (color management and selections), I find it way too dry and technical.. not spontaneous enough for me.

For people accustomed to Photoshop, and those who love Photoshop, Painter can be both daunting and frustrating as it works best for people who dig in and learn how to make the most of it rather than expecting it to do things automatically. It's more of an interactive and highly creative experience, an adventure, using Painter.. and loads of fun.. a bottomless well of surprises and delights.. no kidding!

Painter doesn't require you to have traditional media experience as anyone can use it and create a wide variety of art styles from fine art to Web graphics and anything in between.

It does allow a traditional media artist to work digitally using a very large variety of drawing and painting tools that simulate traditional media, and also allows the artist to create custom drawing and painting tools to do almost anything one can think of.

Installed with Painter 7 are well over 100 default brushes (collective name for Painter's drawing and painting tools), organized in the default brush library, in several brush categories including: Brushes, Dry Media (chalk, pastels, charcoal, crayons), Pencils, Pens, Felt Tip Markers, Water Color, Liquid Ink, Tinting, and more categories. In each brush category there are from 4 or 5 up to over 35 brush variants. On Painter 7 CD 2 there are more brush libraries containing multiple brush categories and their brush variants.

Though there are many other features in Painter, it's best known for its Natural Media ® brushes that allow the artist to work in any style and if the artist wants it, his/her work can look like oil painting, acrylics, watercolor.

Painter's brushes interact with Paper textures. The Dry Media brushes, for instance, paint over a Canvas texture and leave color on the texture's top surface or if the Paper is inverted, on the lower surfaces. Painter 7 Water Colors are animated, Diffuse variants diffuse paint into the Paper texture, and Runny variants can be made to run down the Canvas or in any direction the artist chooses. That's a very abbreviated description, but hopefully it gives you some idea.

If you're interested, and want to get some hands on practice, there's a 30 day demo version of Painter 7 available to download from the Procreate site at:

http://www.procreate.com

Painter 8 is in Beta testing now and is due to be released this Spring.

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! Thanks for the great info! So, are there any places where I can find tutorials for it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    --Painter doesn't require you to have traditional media experience..--

well jin that's a different way of looking at painter, certainly more enlightened. makes me feel sorta sheepish now.

i'd always used reallife painting techniques to work in painter, so as far as tutorials go, i look up books and sites on acrylic and oil. but i've only used the oil brushes :/

y2p: a good place to start.. take a look at jin's site!

Last edited by Snowfly; March 1st, 2003 at 06:29 PM.
    It's got to be more than a memory, or is life just a fantasy and a piss in the sand?

Members who have read this thread: 1