Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: C.O.W. - #002: Don't touch that!

Thanks

Cow C.O.W. - #002: Don't touch that!

C.O.W. - #002: Don't touch that!

Round #002

Topic:
    Don't touch that!

Deadline:

- for any questions or help go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37512

note: The deadline won't be EXACTLY after a week...it can last up to 24 hours more, i am human and have to work also, you know

Post your creature for this week!
    Last edited by Fozzybar; February 19th, 2005 at 08:08 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    heh this will need some clever thinking to avoid the cliche

question... is the emphasis specifically on the creatures design? I know your rules say feel free to add a background, but what if the piece is an illustration with the creature and the scene or other creatures/people in equal importance? Should it be creature with a background 'extra' or can it be a creature set in an illustration? I hope you take my meaning.

Thanks

So many possibilities...

OK, I am in illustrator paradise! You mean we get to do this weekly? Every week? AND Judging and comments on each others work....Oh, creature of the WEEK.... I get it....

(Ok, enough joking around.) Honestly, this is going to be a blast! I can't wait to get my new computer and the newest version of Painter AND a drawing tablet.... then I can REALLY get moving on these things. As it is, I will submit to this one in my old fashioned way, drawing with sticks in the mud.

Don't touch that! Hmmmm? So many possibilities.... so many....

Already anticipating others work....

Eric

Thanks
    Hahaha Sweeet!

Thanks
    Alright First one done! This slimey creature can usually be found around swamps and bogs and is usually about the size of a frog. The creature feeds by "rolling" its large vascular cell around its prey, much like how an amoeba does. The clear gelatin is produced inside the existing gelatin by rearranging the molecules of its prey by processing it through the "head", and the creature grows. The tentacles on the top of the organism is its air intake and release - but don't try to clog them, or you'll be pulled in!
    Sigh... not as good as I had seen it in my head... the skeleton turned out really good... but the creature surrounding it kinda took attention away from it.
    I'm still learning.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Form
    is the emphasis specifically on the creatures design? I know your rules say feel free to add a background, but what if the piece is an illustration with the creature and the scene or other creatures/people in equal importance? Should it be creature with a background 'extra' or can it be a creature set in an illustration?
    I know what you mean...and i say, the creature is the main focus!!! form 'n focus, you know, haha .....er...whatever...the viewer must be able to see why you shouldn't touch this creature, usually without any extra-artwork like scared people or fire around the creature...the design and concept speaks for itself! But as i said, you're free to add a background or different things if you think it will push your concept...just like Scarn did...in this case it's important to have the skeleton to describe how the creature "works"...hmmm let me give two examples:

example 1 (good): Your creature lives around a volcano crater...he is hot, glowing, burning and you can see this by the creatures design - Don't touch that!

example 2 (bad): Your creature lives around a volcano crater...he is small, dull and looks like a naked cihuahua...

For both examples you can add a volcanic, hot background with lava and all the stuff to describe the environment and living of the creature...but when you leave out the background, example 1 will be a good entry anyway, example 2 not...so much blabla and bad english... i hope you understand what i mean...

arteric:
    Shut up and Draw!

Scarn:
    Good to see this kind of post as a start...good example for the next ones:

1. creature with concept!
    2. concept written down
    3. necessary extra drawings like the skeleton push the understanding of the concept

These are the right ingredients!
    Last edited by Fozzybar; February 4th, 2005 at 03:35 AM.

Thanks

Edit:

Updated image from the initial concept. Seems to be having a conversation with another critter

Forest dwelling, prickly critter, that scampers around in the undergrowth. It's covered in a heavy layer of quills. When antagonised it runs at it's target, jumps and rolls itself into a ball of spikes as it fly's onwards. Needless to say, touching or poking it will get it very angry.

Might try and add some colour if a get time, or some more shading.

Concept sketch:
    http://www.jamessinton.plus.com/paul...reature_01.jpg
    Last edited by Baaaah!; February 6th, 2005 at 05:26 PM.

Thanks
    lol! That looks very similiar to one of my rough sketches, spines, except mine was more of a sea urchin. nice stuff ( I think a flying ball of quills would be freakin hilarious).

Thanks
    Scarn - yeah, I like the flying ball of quills idea as well just hope I can do it justice. I've been reading The Goblin Companion by Brain Froud - excellent book, cool illustrations - I think some of it may have rubbed off.

Thanks
    Woot! Got finished early this round!

DollyWog also known as the Dolly Doxie (chewofftus digitus)

This carnivorous animal is usually found nesting in medium to high grass and also floating on the surface of ponds and small lakes. Its unique back markings make it particularly dangerous to small young children who, thinking it is a doll, gleefully advance to pick it up. The Dollywog does not look kindly upon being picked up and will commence to ferociously sting and tear into the young child’s hands shredding them with razor sharp teeth. The Dollywog is an endangered species and it is illegal to harm them. They are commonly kept as pets in Australia where they are deemed less dangerous than 90% of the other creatures living on that continent.

No offense to my mates down under!

**Incorporated changes that arteric pointed out in his crit. Hope that's not cheating. I agreed 100% with him and it's still before the deadline. Iz okay Fozzy?
    Last edited by Thestral; February 11th, 2005 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Updated to reflect changes suggested by arteric. Thanks!

Thanks
    hahaha i found that immensely funny thank you cool critter.

fozzy: thanks for the tip dood, makes sense. had to change my concept for the piece a bit but my creature is still the same so its allll good.

Thanks
    Cool...guys, i really appreciate that you write down your concepts...i think this makes the whole thing more professional...more..er...conceptart, hehe...

Form, great! There are people who understand what i am trying to say with my messy english...

Thanks

The 'Fisherman Blob' has a soft, boneless body which allows it to squeeze into confined spaces where it lies in wait for it's prey. With it's body mass hidden from view, the creature dangles out it's long tongue which ends in a mass of complex glands and muscles which can be flexed in order to 'sculpt' an appropriate lure for passing food. When touched, the sticky saliva that coats the tongue adheres to the prey and a reflex action causes the tongue to retract back into the mouth. Gulp.

Here we see a Fisherman practising the 'dancing kitten' lure. Don't touch that!

( Just a quick one this time, while I wait for my hangover to go away. )

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast