C.O.W. - #002: Don't touch that!
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: C.O.W. - #002: Don't touch that!

Fozzybar is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow C.O.W. - #002: Don't touch that!

Round #002

Topic:
    Don't touch that!

Deadline:

- for any questions or help go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37512

note: The deadline won't be EXACTLY after a week...it can last up to 24 hours more, i am human and have to work also, you know

Post your creature for this week!

Last edited by Fozzybar; February 19th, 2005 at 08:08 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heh this will need some clever thinking to avoid the cliche

question... is the emphasis specifically on the creatures design? I know your rules say feel free to add a background, but what if the piece is an illustration with the creature and the scene or other creatures/people in equal importance? Should it be creature with a background 'extra' or can it be a creature set in an illustration? I hope you take my meaning.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

So many possibilities...

OK, I am in illustrator paradise! You mean we get to do this weekly? Every week? AND Judging and comments on each others work....Oh, creature of the WEEK.... I get it....

(Ok, enough joking around.) Honestly, this is going to be a blast! I can't wait to get my new computer and the newest version of Painter AND a drawing tablet.... then I can REALLY get moving on these things. As it is, I will submit to this one in my old fashioned way, drawing with sticks in the mud.

Don't touch that! Hmmmm? So many possibilities.... so many....

Already anticipating others work....

Eric

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hahaha Sweeet!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright First one done! This slimey creature can usually be found around swamps and bogs and is usually about the size of a frog. The creature feeds by "rolling" its large vascular cell around its prey, much like how an amoeba does. The clear gelatin is produced inside the existing gelatin by rearranging the molecules of its prey by processing it through the "head", and the creature grows. The tentacles on the top of the organism is its air intake and release - but don't try to clog them, or you'll be pulled in!

Sigh... not as good as I had seen it in my head... the skeleton turned out really good... but the creature surrounding it kinda took attention away from it.
    I'm still learning.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Form
    is the emphasis specifically on the creatures design? I know your rules say feel free to add a background, but what if the piece is an illustration with the creature and the scene or other creatures/people in equal importance? Should it be creature with a background 'extra' or can it be a creature set in an illustration?
    I know what you mean...and i say, the creature is the main focus!!! form 'n focus, you know, haha .....er...whatever...the viewer must be able to see why you shouldn't touch this creature, usually without any extra-artwork like scared people or fire around the creature...the design and concept speaks for itself! But as i said, you're free to add a background or different things if you think it will push your concept...just like Scarn did...in this case it's important to have the skeleton to describe how the creature "works"...hmmm let me give two examples:

example 1 (good): Your creature lives around a volcano crater...he is hot, glowing, burning and you can see this by the creatures design - Don't touch that!

example 2 (bad): Your creature lives around a volcano crater...he is small, dull and looks like a naked cihuahua...

For both examples you can add a volcanic, hot background with lava and all the stuff to describe the environment and living of the creature...but when you leave out the background, example 1 will be a good entry anyway, example 2 not...so much blabla and bad english... i hope you understand what i mean...

arteric:
    Shut up and Draw!

Scarn:
    Good to see this kind of post as a start...good example for the next ones:

1. creature with concept!
    2. concept written down
    3. necessary extra drawings like the skeleton push the understanding of the concept

These are the right ingredients!

Last edited by Fozzybar; February 4th, 2005 at 03:35 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Edit:

Updated image from the initial concept. Seems to be having a conversation with another critter

Forest dwelling, prickly critter, that scampers around in the undergrowth. It's covered in a heavy layer of quills. When antagonised it runs at it's target, jumps and rolls itself into a ball of spikes as it fly's onwards. Needless to say, touching or poking it will get it very angry.

Might try and add some colour if a get time, or some more shading.

Concept sketch:
    http://www.jamessinton.plus.com/paul...reature_01.jpg

Last edited by Baaaah!; February 6th, 2005 at 05:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol! That looks very similiar to one of my rough sketches, spines, except mine was more of a sea urchin. nice stuff ( I think a flying ball of quills would be freakin hilarious).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scarn - yeah, I like the flying ball of quills idea as well just hope I can do it justice. I've been reading The Goblin Companion by Brain Froud - excellent book, cool illustrations - I think some of it may have rubbed off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woot! Got finished early this round!

DollyWog also known as the Dolly Doxie (chewofftus digitus)

This carnivorous animal is usually found nesting in medium to high grass and also floating on the surface of ponds and small lakes. Its unique back markings make it particularly dangerous to small young children who, thinking it is a doll, gleefully advance to pick it up. The Dollywog does not look kindly upon being picked up and will commence to ferociously sting and tear into the young child’s hands shredding them with razor sharp teeth. The Dollywog is an endangered species and it is illegal to harm them. They are commonly kept as pets in Australia where they are deemed less dangerous than 90% of the other creatures living on that continent.

No offense to my mates down under!

**Incorporated changes that arteric pointed out in his crit. Hope that's not cheating. I agreed 100% with him and it's still before the deadline. Iz okay Fozzy?

Last edited by Thestral; February 11th, 2005 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Updated to reflect changes suggested by arteric. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahaha i found that immensely funny thank you cool critter.

fozzy: thanks for the tip dood, makes sense. had to change my concept for the piece a bit but my creature is still the same so its allll good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool...guys, i really appreciate that you write down your concepts...i think this makes the whole thing more professional...more..er...conceptart, hehe...

Form, great! There are people who understand what i am trying to say with my messy english...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The 'Fisherman Blob' has a soft, boneless body which allows it to squeeze into confined spaces where it lies in wait for it's prey. With it's body mass hidden from view, the creature dangles out it's long tongue which ends in a mass of complex glands and muscles which can be flexed in order to 'sculpt' an appropriate lure for passing food. When touched, the sticky saliva that coats the tongue adheres to the prey and a reflex action causes the tongue to retract back into the mouth. Gulp.

Here we see a Fisherman practising the 'dancing kitten' lure. Don't touch that!

( Just a quick one this time, while I wait for my hangover to go away. )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thestral, Matt - great stuff! they both made me laugh. Wish I had thought of that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Matt- That description definately lends the imagination to realize there is a lot more to a drawing than just the pen and paint. Nice job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

One day a biologist was walking through an alien jungle on the planet Bebop and rocksteady and came across an interesting little critter that had these big liquid filled balls on its back - he thought for a second but couldn't resist, so he grabed the little fellar to take back to his labs. Only problem is, as soon as he touched it, the bubbles burst in an atomic manner spraying hot acid all over. - guess he learned his lesson. "Don't touch that!"

Later they named the creature " DTT!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The "Apple of death" creature lures its prey into position using a special muscle shaped like a apple. That muscle generates a smell wich drives all mammals in the area crazy for the apple. The creature senses motion in the ground and once the prey is in position, it will open its body/mouth, engulfing the prey. It will then digest everything execpt metal wich it defecate into the surroundings.
    The creature can turn around its axis using spikes on its hyde and also move slowly to other places. The creature can reproduce without mating. The offspring will start as a small spiked ball, then it burrows itself into the ground and sets up its "apple".At early age the offspring can eat a cat or a dog. A fullgrown creature can engulf horse or a cow.

Hope i didnt misspell...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Poison arrow frog girl (Dendrobates hominidus)

While on a class field trip, Sheila was gummed by a radioactive frog.
    She soon began secreting toxic mucous through her skin and killed all the grabby boys in her school . Seems that unlike animals, people cannot figure out that bright colours mean "Don't touch that."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oooh! pret-ty... what is it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great one matt, id love to be able to get that sort of textured feel.

The Squog spends much of the year in a petrified state, attempting to turn into another creature of its choice. As a result they must store highly condensed globules of food suring these periods. If they are disturbed during a transformation the globules are speedily released, resulting in an unpleasant experience for both the Squog and any creatures within a mile of the event.

Last edited by conundrum; February 10th, 2005 at 08:40 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff so far.

Heres mine:

Project "Smart Vävnad", or "Smart Tissue" for you non swedish speakers out there, started in the late 60's in Malmö, Sweden. The goal was to create the first self reproducing carbon based artificial intelligence. Using top notch equipment supplied by the underground russian maffia, project leader Rudolf Knegarbrud and his team of left wing geniuses managed to produce the first working AI in 1975. It was capable of performing numerous "tricks", too numerous to mention here, they were however, truly numerous.

Going through many prototypes, it took Knegarbrud six more years to produce the first truly intelligent Smart Tissue Artificial Intelligence (STAI). This STAI was even capable of communicating with the team through a simple device using morse code as the language. Its first, and last words were "DON'T TOUCH THAT!!!".

The project was canceled in 1983, as Rudolf Knegarbrud and his entire team died in a freak piano related accident.

This here is the only remaining photo of the working STAI.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

First post: Fango

Hi,
    Only just joined CA.org, hello to you all, as an introduction I thought I'd make my first post a c.o.w, here's hoping I get the link right

This is Fango, he is for sale and was one of a litter of 5 "fango`s" that are only found on the small orbiting moons of recently discovered planet Splot. He makes a great guard dog and is partly house-trained. He has a good appetite, prefers his meat un-cooked and is especially fond of children !

akhad.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol, " especially fond of children".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scissorfist is very busy, what with all the disembowling thats needs to be done. I guess now is the time for a P.D.A. Oh and it's bi@#& when he needs to pick his nose, leading to the unseen label "don't touch this" at the base of his left "hand".

[IMG][/IMG]

Eh I should have read the topic instead of just visually scanning through it...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No offense to you MuffinKing, but actually i am not keen on pasting your pic in the voting-thread:

1. It's not a creature...yeah, i know humans are creatures also etc ...but i think we all know what we are thinking of when we mean creature...

2. As you said, there is not much relation to the topic...

So i would suggest to work on another entry...as i said it's nothing against you, it's more a try to keep this activity on the right track!

Edit: For this round i will take your entry to the poll...it was my fault not declaring it in advance...

Last edited by Fozzybar; February 9th, 2005 at 07:09 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Beware the Yattering-Asian Skinch

Be ever mindful of the Yattering Skinch, it loves to lure those with a sympathetic ear with its mournful '"cry" a sound that wont be easily forgotten as one picks up the creature in distress. A favored delicacy of the Skinch is the eyes of its hapless victim.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaaww huh-hawwww.... Isso cute! Here little skinchy-winchy, pass my eye back... that's it....yyaaaaaAAAHHHHHOHMAGAAA-GET IT OOOFF!!!.... *yitter*. ... lol awesome stuff gloklund, Awesome stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe thanks man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two more days *fidgets in anticipation*... I got that first one done too quickly, the next one I plan to use at least half the week before calling it in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1