C.O.W. - #001: Mascot - VOTING!!!

View testimonialsView Artwork

View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite image! Regarding the topic!

Voters
154. You may not vote on this poll
  • OLSEN

2 1.30%
  • cartoonfox

1 0.65%
  • Jull

39 25.32%
  • ZapRadon

0 0%
  • Thestral

7 4.55%
  • shadow

2 1.30%
  • conundrum

3 1.95%
  • LuisNCT

4 2.60%
  • Matt Dixon

39 25.32%
  • Gaither

0 0%
  • Stitchface

17 11.04%
  • arteric

3 1.95%
  • Form

3 1.95%
  • BIG BRUTICUS

0 0%
  • guterrez

1 0.65%
  • Scarn

0 0%
  • Gloklund

4 2.60%
  • Fozzybar

16 10.39%
  • JOSHUATHEJAMES

6 3.90%
  • MURCHIE

7 4.55%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow C.O.W. - #001: Mascot - VOTING!!!

ROUND #001 VOTING

Topic: Mascot for the COW-activity

Deadline for the voting: Thursday, 10.02.2005

Posting thread (closed):
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?p=398407

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OLSEN:

cartoonfox:

Jull:

ZapRadon:

Thestral:

shadow:

conundrum:

LuisNCT:
    concept: That cow is very angry cause has been marked to be an advertising for the C.O.W.

Matt Dixon:
    concept: Here she is - the CA.org Critique Cow.
    Armed with the 'Crit Cleaver' in one hand ( +2 versus fragile artist's egos with an instant death effect against photo paintovers ) and the 'Totem of Shutyeryapandpractise' in the other, she wanders the boards in search of artwork to battle. Those who succumb must suck on the teats of wisdom. Mmm...creamy! She's a bad-tempered bitch at the best of times...

Gaither:
    concept: The NEW mutant baby displays the ever changing ever transforming theme of the NEW Creature Of the Week contest. Whereas the plush COW toy repersents a consistent place where you can always come to for fun and entertainment.

Stitchface:

arteric:
    concept: The subject (a cow caught in the middle of a costume change) is symbolic of the various images and creatures we will be creating over the weeks to come. A single being doesn't quite capture the "in-flux" nature of the Creature of the Week" thread, so the costumes add to the sense of multiple characters even though there is only one, our cow quick-change artist. I tried to place a variety of images from alien to robot to organic creature (even the prop sword brings to mind the orcs and warriors I am sure we will be seeing in the months ahead.)

Form:

BIG BRUTICUS:
    concept: Here's my C.O.W. the Cow God. He eats dairy farmers. I hate him.

guterrez:
    concept: that`s it, the ancient udder from outer space, came to our earth to feed its children with the juice of wisdom and creativity
    I have tasted the liquid in the mind of the universe, and was not offended, for I knew I had to rise above it all, or drown in my own SHIT...

Scarn:

Gloklund:

Fozzybar:
    concept: the mascot of cow....with seven teats for seven days, squeezing all the necessary skills and ingredients for a creature of the week on every day of a week...collecting the cow-essence in a special bucket...drink it to the last drop...

JOSHUATHEJAMES:

MURCHIE:

Uziel:

Baaaah!:
    concept: The idea behind this fella, is that it's some sort of demon or imp acting as a cheerleader for its team. The cow head is its costume that it acquired from a real cow

Hamsta:

Last edited by Fozzybar; February 19th, 2005 at 09:08 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK - before voting/posting read this!!!

1. Please give c&c or a reason why you voted for the image!

2. Feel free to comment on any or all entries, the artists will appreciate it!

note:
    I am really sorry! But the voting system only allows 20 poll entries...we had 23 entries, i had to decide to exclude 3 images....so i decided, regarding the topic and the usability of the piece as a mascot for this activity...hamsta's piece wasn't too clear...i thought it would be hard to use this as a mascot, since there is no definition....Uziel's cow was just a...er...a cow...so there was no unique design for a mascot...same goes for baaah!'s entry...all of them seemed rushed...and there are some entries where you can set the same criterias i know, but this silly voting system forced me to exclude some....sorry again...

But anyway if members want to vote for the 3 pieces, which are not in the poll, just post or pm me...i want to keep this fair...sorry...

I already pm'ed Pontemonti for a solution...

EDIT: Ponte solved the problem...for the future polls there will be more options...but i can't change the existing one...

Last edited by Fozzybar; February 3rd, 2005 at 06:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First off I'd like to say congratulations to all who submitted an entry. Excellent work everybody! Unfortunately I could only vote on one and I chose Jull's adorable C.O.W. I think he succeded the most at creating a mascot for this thread and won my vote. Keep it up everyone and hope to see more of your C.O.W.'s each week.

...woodshed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I too voted jull, it was a tough call; jull and fozzybears' being my favourite. In the end it was the cute eyes that won out over the teet grab...

here's what i wanted to submit but I missed the deadline...

(try here if the image red-x's)

marcelo

my own worst enemy....

oldSketch Book small updated 09-19-06

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, my votes in. I Personally think mine's the awesomest-best one here, but I didn't vote for it in respect for the others - bleh ( I'd be surprised if I'll get any votes ) So I voted for Fozzys creation as I felt it suited best as a mascot, representing the essence of the weekly creations - and the various forms of usable media. yah... Good job everyone! I'm looking forward to the next week already!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

today

I voted for arteric. The art is good plus I think it is the best for getting across the idea of the COW being a contest each week of a different creature drawing.
    Great job by all. I think all win!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I Must say Murchie's is awesome (Most original IMHO) But I voted Matt's, because his entry has a lot of personality, which I think it is a very (if not the most) important thing talking about a mascot character. And in overall, I think it suits very well as a mascot for C.O.W.

Everyone did a nice work too, and I would comment each one, but it would take a lot of time for me and my english, so please, forgive me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

There are many great, congratulations to all!
    I love Matt Dixon's and LuisNCT's, but I decided to vote Jull because it's the one that better perform the idea of a mascot, its simple but powerful, it will work at any size and even as a 16x16 icon! even only the siluette.. :o
    congrats everybody!

--
    Interface

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i'm voting stitchface,because....well i think it explains itself,doesn't it?

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought there were alot of really exciting ideas but I have to go with Jull's design.
    I think it works the best overall, its clean, fun and is a good representation of what I think should be the mascot to represent a thread like this. Good work to all who participated, there were many great pieces. I'm looking forward to participating and seeing others work in this thread in the weeks to come. Good job everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well it was tough but I ended up going back again and again to arteric for my vote. I think his illustration is very well composed and just says it all without any written description needed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LuisNCT gets my vote. I like to pose of the cow - looks like someone's about to get charged - and the way it's been painted. I just like it .

Fozzy - no problem on the exclusion *sob* it's a bit of a dodgy drawing - I should have devoted more time to it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome start as i already mentioned....

I voted for Jull! Here my c&c for every image:

Olsen:
    Many little details which are good ideas like the piercings on the teats, the inverted cow pattern, the gangster theme, cool gun with beautiful design, the C.O.W. text on the body etc...I think your piece was a blessing for this activity, good art demands more of its kind...update your sketchbook, mate!

cartoonfox:
    I already told you in the posting-thread, and you know it, i know it, everyone knows it Add bodies to your heads! Other than that your linework is very dynamic and loose...i like it...looks promising!

Jull:
    This one got my vote! It's a typical mascot i would say....that's what the topic wants...besides it's not a cow, which is good in my eyes...you don't believe how many members already asked me about "why are we supposed to draw cows"...YOU ARE NOT, ARGH! Great idea with the "COW"-writing tail of the creature...nice irony there...

ZapRadon:
    Nice idea, looks like you tried mixing various creatures in one...i also was thinking of something like that at first...though the pose is a little bit awkward...the viewer would get a better impression with a different perspective...

Thestral:
    This was one of my favs...Mootant, haha...very funny and good technical skills...i hope to see more from you for the next rounds...

shadow:
    Quite disturbing piece, but nonetheless effective...the flashy colors are supporting the weird mix of this C.O.W....nice one!

conundrum:
    The idea is simple, but brilliant...i think you needed more time for the piece to push the idea and add details...

LuisNCT:
    I love the blocky style...works for mascots! Impressing how you achieved the 3d-effect of the creature itself and the branding with just few strokes...

Matt Dixon:
    If the topic weren't mascot, you would get my vote for SURE! Your image was my favorite all the way long until the point where i had to think of a vote...and i decided upon the topic "mascot"...i just thought jull's piece is more a mascot...but i want to congrat you for the concept! And that you wrote your concept down...especially in this funny and creative style as it is...love your technique and skills...i really hope to see more from you the next rounds, Matt!

Gaither:
    Very fresh and different work from the others! Cool rendering...i like weird stuff like that...though i think it's not as strong as a mascot...

Stitchface:
    I like the optic of mixed creatures in your piece, but then again it disturbs me because of the same reason....confused? Me too I think you should have tried to get a more homogeneous look...the different parts look like stuck together, actually they are, but it doesn't work as a whole body i think...Nevertheless amazing rendering skills!!!

arteric:
    I love the idea, but the image is more a "title screen" than a mascot...it would be hard to use only the cow as a mascot without the accessoires, because the cow is like an averag cow and just works with the costumes...

Form:
    It works as a mascot, but same issue here as in cartoonfox' piece...looks like only a head to me...

BIG BRUTICUS:
    Uuuuh.....nasty boy! Your image reminds me of some popart work...could work as a poster!

guterrez:
    The creature is great! The viewer don't know what it is, it looks like nothing and everything...but this is exactly a good definition of the C.O.W.!!! Good approach and concept!

Scarn:
    Working as a mascot, but not for the COW-activity Nevertheless i am happy that it reached a high evolution grade, haha!

Gloklund:
    Hehe, this is funny! I love the cows look....sweet rendering on the monster!

JOSHUATHEJAMES:
    I always loved the "flow" in your drawings...don't know how to describe it, but i think "flow" is a good description in my eyes...everything looks like flowing, no hard edges or corners, only "flow"...and i can feel the smell and the surface of this creature...not nice i tell you...as always superb quality and great touch to have you onboard...i hope you also will participate in future....i mean you started the most popular thread on ca i guess - the creature thread, which also was an inspiration for this activity!

MURCHIE:
    A new face on board! And i think i really like it...your image is great! I LOVE the tits-tits, when you know what i mean, hehe...cool stuff...what about McNallyism? He should be interested in this activity...tell him to come and show us the real deal, hehe...

Uziel:
    A cow is a cow is a cow You should invest more time into the idea before starting

Baaaah!:
    Other way round compared to Uziel's: Your idea is good, but your work needs more time

Hamsta:
    Work on details, on small areas, where the viewer can rest with his eye and watch some stuff...define ideas which raise your creature from the rest...

PHEW...done!

Last edited by Fozzybar; February 3rd, 2005 at 06:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh my god so much love for this thread

haha fozzy, yes, i do believe it is just a head

got logo and mascot confused. I think matts and yurs foz are a real close tie for best mascot-like character. So im not gonna tell you who i voted for

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It has taken me a long time to choose who to vote for, but I've enjoyed looking through these images over and over again. Really great stuff.

In the end, I decided to choose an image that captured the 'spirit' of the COW as I see it; fun! So I was left with a tie between Jull and Fozzybar! I gave Fozzy my vote because there seemed to be slightly more thought in his design, and because of the effort he's put in to set all this up. Thanks, Fozzybar!

Firm handshakes and lollipops for Jull, Murchie, Josh, Stitchface and OLSEN. Friendly back slapping for everyone else. Great turnout! See you boys here for the next one, yeah?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, mate! Firm handshake and lollipops, ha! You're funny, man...

When's the next one you ask? Just look in the proper forum and you will see another round of fun...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Jull's piece. Its clear, reads well, has the CA color background wich is nice, and it comes out as a mascot better then the other designs i think.
    Fozzybars entry has the same qualities i think but jull's still reads a bit better trough its simplicity

Just my 2 cents

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Gloklund....man, I went up and down the entries over and over, but everytime I saw that one I laughed. The expressions are perfect.

Stitchface was a close second for me...I think his best represented the whole 'creature of the week' theme, while also including the COW-ness.
    Sweet rendering too.

-Rob

My Sketchbook
    Encouragement keeps me swimming , even in the undertow of disappointment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, fantastic work everyone!
    I voted for Matt Dixon's Cow Concept! You could definitely use that as an icon or a mascot.(by cropping image down.) Totally unexpected!
    I think Jull's and Gloklund's cows were a close second.

Hey thanks for the crits, I actually had a dream with this thing flying arround me, except it had dragonfly wings instead. I thought I could use it here, I will go back and try to unify the the whole rendering though, thanks for the comments!
    (Also you forgot my quote it went with the concept).

-Stitchface

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had the hardest time trying to vote for the best mascot. There was some tough competition here. some of these images were remarkable that it made me want to participate, unfortunatly I missed the deadline. But I will be posting my image, but not here. Well anyways, I ended up voting for Gloklund. The image was so simple and funny and it works so well.

Great job everyone!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, what a hard decision! I ended up voting for Thestals, but it was a real big toss up.

I looooved Matt's picture...just bad ass.

I thought Glokund had a nice cow/creature combo that would iconize really well.

arteric's was just a great concept. The only thing I didn't like was the text incorporated into the image like that...although I'm sure he could provide a textless version, i would have rather seen the mascot and maybe some junk all on its own to use for various purposes.

Fozzy's was hilarious! and very iconic, but I wasn't too keen on the nipple squeeze.

In the end I liked Thestrals concept a lot, and thought it would make a pretty good mascot, even if it's not very shrinkable...

Great job everyone!

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, that was a hard decision. In the end I went with thestral, because I can't help but giggle every time I see it. I love all the little details (especially the pencil behind the ear.)

Honourable mentions are:

Jull - For reasons already stated many times in this thread by others.

Matt Dixon - I love the beautiful execution, and I love the description you wrote to accompany it, but mostly I love the stylus hanging from the staff.

guterrez - Too weird not to mention. Nothing better than giant Lovecraft Nipples.

Fozzybar - A great mascot. Very funny.

I can't imagine being disappointed with the outcome of this vote, there's a ton of great ones in there.

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My vote is in

I thought about this long and hard... and was torn VERY closely between Thestral, Jull, Matt Dixon and Stitchface. However.... drum roll please....

Matt Dixon got my vote. Out of all of the images, I feel his has the most personallity, the most attitude and character. It is an excellent rendering, it ties in the art, a fantasy theme and a cow all in one (I know, cows weren't required) and it can work with or without the background as a stand alone character. It meets all of the mascot requirements.

Stitchface was really close. The image is phenomenal and the rending is amazing. The backlighting adds great power to the image. Something about it seemed too alien however... I think it was the non-human eyes. I have always heard that the eyes can be the most important part of a character (Once heard that was why ET was so popular, and Johnny 5 from "Short Circuit" wasn't... odd comparison, huh?)

Jull, it's a great character. It really pops of the screen, is very colorfull and (amazingly) DIDN'T work a Cow into the image. Adding CA.org on the paint can was a brilliant touch. However, I guess I saw "Llama" too much in it's shape, which (at first glance) makes you confused as to why it has COW painted so prominently on it (identity crisis anyone?) So unless you know the subject, the character alone I feel doesn't tell you enough.

Thestral. I still think it is a great, amusing, fun and well done image (and yes, the details are priceless.) However, it is turned away from us, almost making it secondary to the sketchbook image. I would like to SEE the mascot, he/she/it is a bit too annonymous, and therefore lacks the presence that I think the COW Mascot should have.

Thanks to all who voted for me... it doesn't go unnoticed. And thank you Fozzybar for the exhaustive critique of all the pieces. I agree with your critique of mine quite a bit, and was thinking of ways it could have been modified to more of a central character even tonight! Lack of time made me go with just my second sketch, and that's almost NEVER a good idea. But just seeing the great work by all is inspiration, and I look forward to participating much more.

I am fairly new to this site.... how will we locate future COW concept sessions? The old thread is closed for good, is it not?

Eric

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jull
    amazing entries all around but nothing compared to the smile on my face thanks to jull's cow. Very clever and very stylized; I would never have thought of something along those lines. Bravo.

ambition makes you look pretty ugly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JOSHUATHEJAMES got my vote. How can it not???

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I only saw this forum yesterday, so I'm sorry I couldn't compete in the 1st week, hopefully I will during the following weeks. I voted for MURCHIE, it was exactly the sort of thing I wanted to do - a cow that isn't a cow. You've managed to convey many different types of creatures in one, and make it work, which is difficult - i think that's where shadow and Stitchface fell down. Great execution, I thought it worked well as a mascot, and conveyed what I think COW is all about.
    Great job everyone! I look forward to competing.

Research shows Industrial Design of the Week is addictive.
    Come get your fix.

Sculpty Fight! - The Sculpt & 3D Challenge

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Someone needs to vote for ZapRadon, BIG BRUTICUS, and Scarn so I can get the no prize for last place LOL.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i love 'em all, an excelent first turn out! but in the end only one can get my vote, and it had to be stitchface, i just love the funny design and awesome rendering. great stuff.

fozzy, lol yeah i know ^-^ i laughed almost spilling my 7up on my chin and t-shirt when i read that ^-^
    well it was a quick thing i did, so thats the one reason why there is no body (i atleast try to add neck, arms ussually ^-^) and also i thought just a head would be more mascot/logo-ee ^-^ so bleh!

also, can whoever voted for mine let me know why they voted for mine, im just interested on your thoughts

again, awesome work all, very impressive. i will try harder for the next one ^-^

peace all

» sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I spent my vote on Mr. Dixon's cow. This cow has all the attitude I think is needed to serve as the mascot. Hell, the look on her face alone would have scored my vote.

As Lord Cardigan said to the Light Brigade, "Just canter down the valley toward Balaklava, fellows. Nothing to worry about." -W.E.B. Griffin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote goes to fozzybar creature, cause I think it have all the ingredients to be a good mascot: looks good, it's funny and represents well the concept of the C.O.W. activity.
    The other favourites to me are:
    -Jull, my favourite until saw fozzybar's one
    -Form, but like someone have said it will be better as a logo more than as a mascot
    -Murchie... very impressive work
    -Stitchface entry, for it's originallity

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 25