Thanks

boy do i need help!!! :)

Hey everybody.. i haven't been on for a while... um, anyway... i did some fun drawings that i really want to get up on a website but they will NOT SCAN CORRECTLY. ARRRGGG. so, i used a 10% French grey marker and a 50% FG... sometimes a uni ball pen. they look nice on paper, but when i scan it, the 10% shows up LIGHTER THAN THE PAPER... so even if i adjust the levels, contrast, replace color, blah bla blah... the "white" of the paper is affected more than the 10% grey. if it'll help, i'll post my attempts. but they just look so.. not right. please help!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    have you tried curves? put a picture up here, i'm sure some of the goons can help you out.

Thanks
    i've tried curves too... i'm not as sure about how to use that one though, as i haven't had to deal with it before... it's so strange, i'm usually pretty proficient in Photoshop... i'll try to post a pic tomorrow. tommorow. i can't spelllll. the weird thing is, i did a little cycle on ingram paper with the same colors and it worked fine as long as i put a piece of black paper under it...

you can see that here

if you want. the inside of the cat and the inside of the ball were that ten percent grey, and they showed up fine... so what's up with that? :eek:

ohh.. actually, now that i look at it, there is quite a bit missing where it's SUPPOSED to be... but, i don't think it's the same problem, cause when i adjusted the levels on those... the paper didn't turn RED... anyway, like i said, i'll try to get the images up later.
    Last edited by fletchgirl; February 22nd, 2003 at 03:55 AM.

Thanks

here's the deelio

boy do i need help!!!  :)

this is the orig. scan.

this is the same img with the levels adjusted crazy. that's it though. see how there are white areas on her jacket and face? THAT's the 10% grey... weird, huh.

here's my recreation.

it's OKAY, but doesn't have the feel of those french greys... but you can see kinda what it's supposed to look like.

Thanks
    I would just keep scanning stuff w/ black paper under it. Also, I would just stop using a 10% altogether and just use a 20% or even a 30% for the lightest value. I myself don't use anything lower than a 30%, which is pretty light for me.

BTW, that animation is awesome!

later,

clay
    Don't interrupt me when I'm doing my art or
    you'll destroy my future

Thanks

HELP IMAGE POSTING

I was trying to post some pictures at life drawing forum but for some reason they don't show.
    Is there anybody capable of helping me
    Thanks

MJ
    MJArcanjo

Thanks
    clay...
    yeah... i know... it's light... but they look so nice together!!! i'd show, but i can't for obvious reasons.. so.. i guess i'll go darker... or i'll cry until it works!!!!!

thanks about the gif! :emb:

anybody have a second opinion??!?!?! about scanning??? just to save the images i already have?

Thanks
    Hi fletchgirl,

maybe this can help a little. What I find useful by scanning in difficile material is to put heavy, white and opaque board to make sure the image sits really flat on the scanner surface. Often there´s a problem with backlight and a not so optimal scanner top.

I know this problems sometimes arise when you´re using semitransparent Layout-paper with markers and the above mentioned method has helped me at work quite often.

If your scanner is really crappy it will have problems wihr fine graduations but normally tody even cheap scanners can produce a fine range of colours. They often just have to be tweaked a little in contrast to good scanners (like Linotype/Heidelberg).

It would be good to tell us how you scan and what type of scanner, programs and paper you´re using. Maybe we can try to reproduce this problem to find a solution.

Fipse
    <Insert witty remark here>

Thanks
    fipse... okay.. i have a visioneer 9020 USB scanner. the paper i'm using... ah,,, i dunno... i told my friend i couldn't find a good spiral bound sketchbook (many people gasp at "spiral bound" but i hate the ones that look like books. they're too cumbersome and scanning out of them is a pain. so i think he got it at office depot. i tore off the sticker... !oops! so i couldn't tell you. i used photoshop to scan it in with "visioneer scan manager pro" ... hmmm... thats about it. if that helps at all that would be great.

as far as the board goes... are you talking about like, an illustration board? matte board? something heavier? and would you suggest white over black?

thanks for all the suggestions so far everybody!!!! i REALLY appreciate this!

Thanks
    Hey fletch,

Sometimes markers can make the paper transparent. If they don't actually lay down a lot of pigment in the process (like with your 10% grey), you can get some funny effects when scanning. Hold the paper up to a light, if you can see through it more where the 10% grey is... well that could be your problem.

If not then your scanner is cursed and you must sacrifice a goat over it. If you're vegan, you can substitute tofu carved in the shape of a goat.

Thanks
    yes.. i didn't think of the goat... i have a loud beagle.. will that work? (sorry sasha!!!)

Thanks
    I´ve got a quiet beagle - that´s helping . What Tedsuo told was exactly what I cumbersome with my limited english tried to explain. With board I thought about maybe a white Bristol so it´s working against the transparency effect of the marker.

Fipse
    <Insert witty remark here>

Thanks
    ah, bristol... okay, i'll try that. how do you have a quiet beagle? i didn't know they existed!

Thanks

the beagle in question

i couldn't resist the chance to post 2 pics of the beagle.

okay, so she's not all beagle... beagle/random rat/jack russel terrier. but she's still loud. and the bark is DEFINATELY beagle. and she looks like a character from the simpsons all wall-eyed like that.

Thanks
    I like those drawings, the second is the best with some nice colour added. i take it you used a gray marker on the last one, markers are great fun and i have been using them for a few months and they improve my work loads.

Thanks
    If you glue goat horns on him, the beagle is acceptable.

Thanks
    Tedsuo, with your avatar like that, i read what ever you write like your sighing at me... like, no, no no.... ugh, you will never get it right. are you saying my beagle looks like a goat? i think clay is right, i may just have to use darker markers...

Thanks
    Hehe, maybe I should change my avatar. Didn't mean to come across as a cranky bastard. Just a grumpy sunmabeetch. Joke! See how I joke. I will now flood this post with smilies to show that I am joking:

And I think you have a very cute goat. Beagle. Whatever.

-T

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.