Bunch-o-sketches
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Bunch-o-sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Bunch-o-sketches

While it’s great to practice my sketching in Photoshop I realize that it’s equally important to be able to perform on paper. This in mind, I’d really appreciate any and all comments/critiques/advice on some of my sketches. Most of these are fairly old, I haven’t been doing many sketches on paper, lately.

(Chronological order, w00t)

5/8/04

Second sketch in book, before 5/16/04

5/16/04 – What I see: The arm holding the rope needs to be redrawn. It’s not defined enough and is very weak in terms of anatomy and lines. The other arm is a bit weak, too.

6/17/04 – What I see: I feel like his left leg has to come forward a bit more.

7/26/04 – What I see: the arm over the head is longer than the other, I believe.

7/27/04 – What I see: legs on the male are far too sharp, they need smoothing. Breasts too high, maybe? Looks kinda' like she's holding in a breath, lol.

8/5/04 – What I see: his right shoulder is too far away from the body. See comment on next sketch. Also, his right leg’s knee isn’t right. It needs to be bent to a degree or have the caps changed, they’re too “inward.” Also, his right foot is wrong, the big toe is on the wrong side

8/20/04 – What I see: his right shoulder seems as if it is broken, I’ve tried fixing this problem in more recent sketches by starting with the torso, not the deltoid, when beginning a sketch. And the fingers and the feet need reference.

Last edited by Syndrell; February 2nd, 2005 at 08:14 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While I do like that your figures have a nice life and fairly natural posing to them, the linework is a bit stiff.

Try breaking from such solid hard edge lines and try some speed sketching, to loosen yourself up.

Great start though, just keep it up.

Dead dog for sale - Skulldog Studio - Sketch Journal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty Cool stuff man!

Ive got a few critiques...

Anatomy and Life drawing. Do lots of them man. I notice youre drawing in a more anime like style, yes? Wether you are or you arent, you should still do life drawings, people and objects,and learn artistic anatomy. I cannot stress enough how important it is to understand the human body to draw and manipulate without reference, and learning those would improve images with reference as well!

Hope it helps!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments, guys!

Skulldog -

Thanks! The speed sketching idea sounds perfect. I really do need a lot of practice, especially in keeping my art loose.

Dished -

I wouldn't call it anime. I'm not a fan of anime and I don't watch anime. However, I have two Christopher Hart books (Drawing Cutting Edge Comics and Human Anatomy Made Amazingly Easy) that I have done studies from. That's comic art and a lot of simplifying, but not anime.

I haven’t done any life drawing but I plan on doing a bit in the future. Thanks for the advice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah! sorry for my mistake!Yeah, at first, i hated life studies, but then after a while i started to like it Just draw people around you, try to get their gestures at least.
    Ive seen Christopher Harts books, i didnt really get a chance to take a glance at it. It was very close to a bridgman book soo yeah lol.

Keep it up man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My one and only suggestion to you, loosen up those lines.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.