Art: Coming back to art - 2 new img added - 4 feb

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Coming back to art - 2 new img added - 4 feb

(I added a new img near the bottom - 4 feb 05)
    Hello. I'm new to this board and to boards in general. I went to art school, but have been working in computer programming for years. I want to get back into the art world. I miss it.

I don't feel comfortable critiquing anyone's works until they see mine. I've tried to fit in some sketching. A combination of poor time management and limited free time is my enemy.

Here's an ink sketch done from photo reference. I feel less intimidated drawing directly with a pen than pencil. With pencil, my desire for perfection kicks in too much. I will post more. Please feel free to give me constructive criticism.

Last edited by TopherMark; February 4th, 2005 at 12:51 PM. Reason: update
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would say conquer the feeling of intimidation and start practising with pencils. So what if your drawing is not perfect. Even the greatest masters left behind tons of sketches that are not perfect.

Pencils offer features not available in pens that should let you recoup your confidence more quickly and starting liking more of your own work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drawing is great. I really need to find a group locally that does the life drawing. Getting into a group dynamic can help. Hopefully, I'll get some work done this weekend. I need to get in a habit of drawing everyday, regardless of the quality. Also, thinking that I need to throw out my TV!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's another drawing, albeit incomplete. but I wanted to post it and get any critiques. I'm working from a reference photo found on domai.com. Hopefully, I will do more this weekend and post them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i agree. if you wanna work from pics on the pc then just sit down and draw pic after pic after pic right there in front of the pc. do like 15 minutes on each, just for practice. well you dont even have to spennd 15 min. , more like 5. the repetition will help alot.

cool beans to you...my friend.
    sKeTcHbOoK update page3 (scroll to the bottom of page)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks. I'm trying to improve my drawing habits (draw every day, fool!). When in school, a fellow student drew hard every day. I really saw vast, I mean VAST, improvements. Gee, one would think that I'd get a clue.

I'll post when I have them. I refuse to post any old images, since I feel that my skills have slipped and I'm 'almost' starting over. Only new stuff. I'll see about drawing some on my lunch break. I hate posting crap, but I need to get over that, too. It's all about the learning and improving.

Here's the sucky, lunch break sketch. Ack. It hurts to post it. Proportions are off. Left my good pencils at home by accident. Had a hard lead, cheap mechanical pencil. Feel free to tear it apart. I need to 'think' more and 'see' better.

Last edited by TopherMark; February 4th, 2005 at 12:51 PM. Reason: added image link

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All I can say is don't feel scared to start over. I've done that a few times myself and I think it has made me a better artist. Also, if you haven't heard of the loomis books, I think they would really help you alot, plus they are free http://www.saveloomis.org

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice Dan1989. I've seen the Loomis books before. I think that I'll grab a copy. I need to do the lessons from Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. I think that those would really help, too.

Members who have read this thread: 2