Art: 2 new pieces

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: 2 new pieces

Thanks

2 new pieces

These are two pieces I have been working on. Input would be greatly appreciated.

Updated my website also.
    www.erikgist.com

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    can we see the second one larger? its rather intersting with the dynamics its got going on.

Thanks
    Really nice pieces! Yeah, would be nice to see them little larger. Can't think any major crits, maybe make the hulk's arms more beefy, but it's not an issue really.

Thanks
    I struggled to find a crit for you, to try to help in what way I can. So I will begin by saying that I had to scratch the bottom of the barrel for one. A singular crit. The first piece is amazing to me, save for one thing: the mostrosity behind the man appears flat inasmuch as the shading on the edges look. That's all I can say, but it really looks like you have unstoppable talent!

He who asks is a fool for five minutes,
    but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Starting over.

Thanks
    Really strong, and love the more loose painterly tackle at coloring. The first really strikes me as well done, really nothing at all I feel could add to it.

The second, with two birds are tiny bit over balanced with the two enemy bots, but only very minorly, great work over all.

Dead dog for sale - Skulldog Studio - Sketch Journal

Thanks
    omg its PHIL HALE. no wait i mean jon foste.... i mean.... nvm ..jk nice work

Thanks
    Nice work. The first one is great. Love the composition and the muddy greenish color. However, I didn't notice it was Hulk until I read the file name. Maybe an adjustment to the hairstyle might help reconize the character(I assume the text "Hulk" is going on the top. In that case it doesn't really matter, since the viewer cannot really miss the point)

I really love the Iron man one. Lovely sky and cloud. Also a nice "Foster" touch to the blasted robot/creature. The only thing that caugh my eye is the beam that comes out of the palm of Ironman is a close(if not the same) value as the cloud in the background. Also the beam color transition into blue right at the edge of the seperation between cloud and the sky. It kind of confused my eye a bit(although the shapes already help to seperate them).

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

Looking forward to see more great works from you.

"As now I look back, the drawing lessons in the grade schools contained all the principles anyone needs and I tried to recall them for the aid of students today." - Dean Cornwell

"...the study of drawing can be a release to the imagination and not, as photography sometimes is, simply a realistic documentary aid." - Robert Fawcett

"Theory-The way things should work. Practice-The way things acctually work." - Deane G. Keller

"Workshop?" - Le_fish

http://www.jim-yang.com/

Thanks
    Very nice! Awsome detail and colour, I really like the second one, IronMan is it? Very nice work !

We've GOT to get to the bottom of this, and FAST! This AMAZING Webpage just MIGHT hold the clues we need!

Thanks
    I feel really retarded attempting to crit one of my teachers, but here goes anyways.

In the Ironman picture, there are 2 things that bother me. The first is the blasted robots far leg...perspective wise, the line that connects both feet is too close to parallel to the line that connects both shoulders for my comfort. Actually measuring it shows that it's not, but visually, that far leg isn't reading very well to me. Part of what bugs me about it is also the curve along the front end...it seems too extended. It also seems to conflict slightly with the near leg. Logically, he's falling or being blasted in one direction. His near leg conflicts a bit with his far leg, or at least doesn't reinforce the direction of motion.

The second thing that bothers me is that his thruster (emitting from his leg) matches his blast color and direction. Combined with the way it intersects the robot being blasted, it gets a little confusing. And compositionally I think it might lead the viewer right off the page when they notice it. (It did me, anyways.)

I dunno, take it for what it's worth.

Other than that I really dig them. I almost agree with the comment about the Hulk piece needing a bit more punch up on the hulk...but I'm not really sure...I kind of like it dark like that, and it may be more punchy in person.

You need to bring these in! I wanna see them in person!

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks

Thankyou

Thankyou for all your crits. Composition is still a bit of a stumbling block for me, so I especially appreciate the comments in that area.

KENDEATHWALKER-here is a larger version of the second picture for your review, hope it helps.

CROW-It never ceases to amaze me how people pick out the problem areas in my paintings, I have struggled with those arms from the get go, it seem I will be struggling with them some more.

KLINESMOKER-Having the hulk be flat in the end was a bit of a judgment call between making him beautiful as a individual element and having him work with the idea that is in my head, which was to have him fade into the background a bit.

SKULLDOG-Thankyou and good point, however I wanted to leave dead space for a potential title, but at the same time I felt it needed somethink to balance the composition. Plus it adds to the metaphore that probably only makes sense to me.

THEBLUEPUPPY-Phil Hale and Jon Foster are two of my bigger influences, along with Dean Cornwell, N.C. Wyeth, Steve Huston, and J.C. Coll. Being mentioned in the same breath as them is a great compliment, even if it is jokingly.

le_fish-I like doing my own take on characters, but perhaps I went to far with the hulk. Good eye on that beam, another problem area, I thought I resolved iit perhaps I will have to take another look. The blasted through the back thing was actually inspired by The Quick and The Dead, a not so great movie by a great director, but seeing Lance Henricksen get shot clean through will always be one of my favorite movie moments.

NITROGENADAM-Many thanks!

Fukifino- Forrest, never feel retarded voicing your opinion especially when weel thought out as yours are. You managed to pick out just about every judgement call I had to make. In almost every think you pointed out I did many sketches and in the absence of a good solution I picked the least bad one, or made a concious decision to do something technically wrong where I felt the alternative weakened the visual I was going for. I will bring them into class and we can talk about it in more detail.

Thankyou to everyone, and please make me feel good about myself go check out my web site www.erikgist.com Does that sound to desperate?

Thanks
    booom! as it happens so often here, wickedness hits the board. These are completely awesome!

my only crit is that the right arm of the monster looks like one volume, and not two connected ones, and thus looks very flat.

eh, where were we?

Thanks
    Hell yeah! Respect!

Those two pieces posted are good but your other works on your site are overwhelming, to say the least. Your life drawing is absolutely masterful. I also appreciate the composition you incorporate in your gestures...I was taught at school that gestures shouldn't necessarily end up as finished pieces but I would gladly frame any of yours and hang them in my living room.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Seraph-I agree about the arm, I am going to work on that a bit more. Are you from Denmark originally? Your english is excellent!

Crazybrush-You are too kind! and I do enjoy making my gestures as nice a piece of art as I can, it helps keep me motivated to do them.

Thanks

Red face

Holy crap and a half. I missed that link to your site. Man, hand me some crits PLEASE! Your work is amazing!

He who asks is a fool for five minutes,
    but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Starting over.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 291 Posts
    good shit dood. it was also really niuce to see your stuff in this past spectrum as well. you have "cover artist" written all over you.-c36

Thanks
    Klinesmoker-I will gladly crit your work, expect an email soon.

Coro-Again with the kind words, and as far as Spectrum goes I was just glad to be in the company of artists such as yourself.

Thanks
    I agree with Forrest, it feels a little weird critiquing an instructor's work, but here goes.

There's something that always felt a bit 'off' with the Ironman piece, but I didn't know what it was until I sat here and looked at it for awhile. I notice my eye keeps following the blast lines down and out of the piece every time. It never seems to want to return to the focal area. Maybe has something to do with so many lines and paint strokes (like the large ones in the sky above the clouds) pointing in that direction. I really like the angle you tackled and the dynamic of all the figures, I just wish my eye would stay in the painting.

The Hulk piece is the stronger of the two in my opinion. I like the slight changes you made to the Hulk's face between the sketch and the final painting...he comes across as more menacing now. I also think having him blend more into the background works.

Anyway, that's all I have. They're both very cool and I'm looking forward to the next ones. But come on, when are you going to give *Aquaman* the treatment he deserves?

ps If you get a chance can you stop by my life drawing thread? I'm starting to feel stuck and could use some advice on where to go and what to study from here.

Thanks
    I just had a quick question - are these two related to "The Ultimates" at all? They look Ultimates influenced is all - very skilled work, it would be nice to see bigger pics/close ups.

Thanks
    I love the energy in these pieces dude, and you've got such a solid body of work on your website. The hulk one really stands out in terms of enrgy, although I'd like to see the two radioactive orbs below the figures less blurry (not sure if that's just the compression, though).

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks
    Erik, these are ill. Thanks for postin em. I don't have much to add, except maybe the outline around the Hulks torso seems a bit odd...really enjoying looking at them though...this is about my 5th visit to this thread....mmmmmmmm

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

http://www.endlessunlimited.com

Thanks
    Adrian-You and Forest both have pointed out the eye leaving the canvas with the blast, I agree and would like both of your opinions on what I could do to help that.

Kinokuniya-I was inspired to do both of these pieces by the Ultimates. That and the Astonishing X-men are both great returns to the spirit that made their predecessors outstanding.

Strych9ine-Thank you, it is good to here that the most recent piece is one of the stronger ones. The answer to the orbs is, they are slightly blurrier than the main one, but did get even blurrier with compression.

Jetpack42-5th visit!!!!! Wow very flattering

Thanks
    Amazing pieces man. The second one is very nice - the first reminds me too much of some foster covers. All of the work on your site is very nice great sketches and figure studies.

FYI - all of you galleries pages are titled "Welcome to Adobe Go Live 4" - you might wanna fix that : )

Thanks
    maybe some drool from the creature's mouth, with some highlights in it.
    Nice stuff

Thanks
    se7en-Thank you, I like the Ironman myself because it does start to deviate from the Foster look, but damn the allure of it, it always draw me back. And thanks for the heads up, I'll fix it soon.

Aman- HMMMMM! drool I hadn't thought of that, but it would add some more atmosphere and grit. I like atmosphere and grit.

Thanks
    Erik, these are really nice. What is the medium? I skimmed through the comments but didn't see if you talked about that -

I hope you get some cover work or something soon, if you haven't already!

Francis Tsai
    TeamGT Studios

Thanks
    Wow Francis Tsai posted on my thread, usually I only reply once a day, but when I got the email with your post I was flattered and had to reply right away. Now since the lengthy gushing is over, here is the short answer: The Ironman is all oil, and the Hulk is 90%+ oil and just a little value correction digitally, mostly in the background(eventually I will make those ajustments in oil along with repainting the gimpy arm) They are both done on gessoed massonite with a "limited" three color pallete plus black and white.

Thanks
    nice pieces, man, but as some said, I'd love to see them bigger (1.5 or 2x the size would be good, so we can see details, brushstrokes, etc...)

Anyway, as Coro said, "cover all over"

Congrats on Spectrum 11!

C.

Cyril Van Der Haegen - www.tegehel.org

Thanks
    2 cents...

I like these both alot - nice style and mood -

My thought is on the second one - composition wise, I would like to see the different creatures and spacedude on different planes. One creature really near the camera, one hand right in your face, showing off the disintegrating flesh - maybe one creature upside down - in the distance - or something like this.

I wonder about the boot thrust as well, it seems like a strong beam that just dies, and not convincing as carrying all of that weight.

not to dis though - these are really cool!

Thanks
    E.M. Gist - I superceded your two images and checked out your entire site instead. Wonderful work! I especially enjoyed your life drawing series!
    Please keep posting.

JP42 - glad you are checking this work out - I think your style is going this way with the graphite work.

Cheers,
    D

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.