Sketchbook: Steph's Brain Farts (NSFW): 11/17 - Creatures and CTN
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Steph's Brain Farts (NSFW): 11/17 - Creatures and CTN

Threaded View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    purb36 Thanks so much! I don't expect tp be back in Boston until the spring (End of April/May) and I am not sure how long I will be there, but I'll let you know once I figure that out. MacWorld was the first week in January, but you can catch a glimpse of how it went in this post

Bill Thank you for the kind words! I love love LOVE giraffe heads, they're so bumpy and snobby looking to me. Plus, they're shaped so irregularly that they're easy to fake

HunterKiller_ Haha, it doesn't make you furry. Only a fan of boobies and... hooves?

Clochette
    I am so glad that the shipping as all resolved. I felt terrible when the packages were returned to me! I hope all is well with you

lefran Thanks dear! How have things been in your part of the world?

0kelvin Thanks Eric And I look forward to having you crash at my place in... holy shit, a few weeks. Where is the #!%&$@! time going?!

Patch Hahah, thank you! I'm glad that vag humor didn't send you running for the hills ^_~

Ok, so this year has already been crazy busy with like a buncha gallery shows, a change in jobs, MacWorld and soon WonderCon. AIEEEEEE!!!n So I'll start with the wonderful surprise I got at MacWorld...

Big art is BIG! This is the second year that I've been a demo artist for Axiotron and they had asked if they could feature the dog piece in their booth; I didn't realize they were gonna use the octopus one too! It was crazy to see my stuff that huge and what's better is that they let me keep these once the show went down. My bedroom and living room walls are now full of awesome and I will be using the lower half of one of these at my booth at WonderCon in a few weeks!

So, time for new content! I made a train piece for A.Okay's CTA show, which opens this Sunday in Chicago! Sadly I have to sit the opening out because I'll be in the middle of a sequoia forest with my sweetie that weekend. Happens.

So the assignment was to buy a model train of any kind and decorate it how you wish. I picked up an $11 wooden bullet train with magnetic fasteners and went from there. This guy is made from wood, plastic, metal, various Japanese papers, upholstery trim, bronze paint, matteboard and paper clay. Phew! And a smidge of blood... there was one tiny incident with the X-acto yesterday.

I put a section of a cardboard tube on the roof to give the guy a more natural slope to his back and avoid corners for when it came time to shingle him. Unfortunately none of the online dollhouse stores had the small fishscale shingles in stock, so I had to resort to trimming the edges off of these tabbed shingles by hand. Considering I was planning of paper maché-ing each shingle by hand anyway, this extra step wasn't a big deal.

Here he is with 2/3 of this scales and a paperclay base for his tail.

A primitive head of matteboard and paperclay...

...then a bucha stuff happened all at once and he ended up looking like this.

I was going to document this much more but I got into a big time crunch and well, there we are. I PROMISE I will take much nicer photos of him tomorrow before he begins his overnight journey to Chicago, so for now, bear with the yellowed, slightly blurry mess. I am one of the most impatient people on the planet, you see.

It was great to get out of my element and start sculpting again. I forgot how much I miss making puppets and letting tangible materials have so much of a hold over a character. Great times, let's hope I find something nice to make from all the remnants I have leftover.

Thanks for looking, guys

Last edited by Steph Laberis; February 9th, 2009 at 03:52 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steph Laberis For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.