Page 37 of 44 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast
    Thanks
    Hey everyone! I am still alive and of sound health Thank you so much for the words of support and encouragement... especially when this SB was falling into its occasional bout of neglect. I've had a hard time finding a reason to get out of bed some days within the last few months (let alone find inspiration and reasons to draw...!) but was pleasantly surprised with an abundance of paid work recently and have found a few sparks here and there. In other words, I feel poopy but I still have some ideas hanging around. ^_~

So while I wish I had epic, experimental and daring updates for this book, you're gonna have to settle for more self portraits, a few thumbs for a comic idea and studies for this month's Steph o' the Month. And oh yeah, last month's So'tM. You might have seen it in the FF section, or you might not. Fun facts: the sepia self po' was drawn during a panic attack and the So'tM will be featured at the Axiotron booth at MacWorld this January in the form of a 16 foot printed banner. If you're in the area, swing by to see it or better yet, swing by to say hi to me as I will be doing art demos in the booth to promote ModBooks.

So yeah. Letting things settle before the holidays and scrambling for some new direction. But at the very least, I have paid off my bills for this year and managed to save a bit of dough, which in this day and age, is a big accomplishment in and of itself. Jeebus.

Much love and thank you for looking.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Steph Laberis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    yehyyy!! steph update nice to hear youre still alive and kicking ! that me in sixty years doodle is cool haha

great work as always bud! take care

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dished For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you Dawn! Still trying to keep up momentum and all. Be sure to gimme your email addy btw, so I can send you a holiday card this year

Another quickie update - went to the SF zoo yesterday for a friend's birthday and had a good sketch run! I think I am really sacrificing form for movement in my gestures though, so that's something to pay attention to in the future.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Your back?? Or just checking in?? Hi Steph everyone misses your cuteness

Thanks
    Kelly: I guess it's just checking in, I don't have the audacity to promise that I'll be a regular on here since so much is in flux! But I'll try to post whenever possible. Which will be more than once a month. I hope.

So... checking in with a little TMI. I've got to further alienate the testosterone from my SB, right? This should do the trick!

P.S... GAH, why can't I think up any good holiday card ideas? For the record, this wasn't one of them...

Thanks
    You may be trying to alienate, but that was just damn funny. Your storytelling skillz are madd yo.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Patch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Haha, Steph, that is hilarious. Only you can take a subject like that and make it so charming.

Seriously, we have to catch up. I miss you a ton!

Eric

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 0kelvin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hey steph, great stuff! i love the forest pic

14. The Following User Says Thank You to lefran For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Steeeph! I reached my print of yours! I love it so! And the best was the little note with the cuuute tiny self portrait with it! Hehe Thanks a lot!
    Your sketches are very funny! I love the sleepy rhino!

Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Clochette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Fantastic sketches.
    Digging the centaur babes... Crap, does that make me a furry?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 516 Posts
    Great sketches. I especially like the Zoo page as I know first hand that Giraffes can be really hard. The piece the puppy looks great, like you are getting even better with the collage/cutout(?) style. Pixar won't be able to resist for long!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    duuuuuuuude. i know i've stopped in here before, have no idea if ive ever said anything though. but, DAAAAAANG, YO! these are SWEEEEEEEET. so when you gonna come out to the boston sketchgroup? and what's this macworld thing you're talking about? and where is it at? oh wait, you're based in berkeley now. bummer. still, hit us up sometime, let us know if you have any time with the few days you're still out here. and keep puttin out that hottness. happy new year, dude! take care, stef!

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

22. The Following User Says Thank You to purb36 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    purb36 Thanks so much! I don't expect tp be back in Boston until the spring (End of April/May) and I am not sure how long I will be there, but I'll let you know once I figure that out. MacWorld was the first week in January, but you can catch a glimpse of how it went in this post

Bill Thank you for the kind words! I love love LOVE giraffe heads, they're so bumpy and snobby looking to me. Plus, they're shaped so irregularly that they're easy to fake

HunterKiller_ Haha, it doesn't make you furry. Only a fan of boobies and... hooves?

Clochette
    I am so glad that the shipping as all resolved. I felt terrible when the packages were returned to me! I hope all is well with you

lefran Thanks dear! How have things been in your part of the world?

0kelvin Thanks Eric And I look forward to having you crash at my place in... holy shit, a few weeks. Where is the #!%&$@! time going?!

Patch Hahah, thank you! I'm glad that vag humor didn't send you running for the hills ^_~

Ok, so this year has already been crazy busy with like a buncha gallery shows, a change in jobs, MacWorld and soon WonderCon. AIEEEEEE!!!n So I'll start with the wonderful surprise I got at MacWorld...

Steph's Brain Farts (NSFW): 11/17 - Creatures and CTN

Big art is BIG! This is the second year that I've been a demo artist for Axiotron and they had asked if they could feature the dog piece in their booth; I didn't realize they were gonna use the octopus one too! It was crazy to see my stuff that huge and what's better is that they let me keep these once the show went down. My bedroom and living room walls are now full of awesome and I will be using the lower half of one of these at my booth at WonderCon in a few weeks!

So, time for new content! I made a train piece for A.Okay's CTA show, which opens this Sunday in Chicago! Sadly I have to sit the opening out because I'll be in the middle of a sequoia forest with my sweetie that weekend. Happens.

So the assignment was to buy a model train of any kind and decorate it how you wish. I picked up an $11 wooden bullet train with magnetic fasteners and went from there. This guy is made from wood, plastic, metal, various Japanese papers, upholstery trim, bronze paint, matteboard and paper clay. Phew! And a smidge of blood... there was one tiny incident with the X-acto yesterday.

I put a section of a cardboard tube on the roof to give the guy a more natural slope to his back and avoid corners for when it came time to shingle him. Unfortunately none of the online dollhouse stores had the small fishscale shingles in stock, so I had to resort to trimming the edges off of these tabbed shingles by hand. Considering I was planning of paper maché-ing each shingle by hand anyway, this extra step wasn't a big deal.

Here he is with 2/3 of this scales and a paperclay base for his tail.

A primitive head of matteboard and paperclay...

...then a bucha stuff happened all at once and he ended up looking like this.

I was going to document this much more but I got into a big time crunch and well, there we are. I PROMISE I will take much nicer photos of him tomorrow before he begins his overnight journey to Chicago, so for now, bear with the yellowed, slightly blurry mess. I am one of the most impatient people on the planet, you see.

It was great to get out of my element and start sculpting again. I forgot how much I miss making puppets and letting tangible materials have so much of a hold over a character. Great times, let's hope I find something nice to make from all the remnants I have leftover.

Thanks for looking, guys

Last edited by Steph Laberis; February 9th, 2009 at 03:52 AM.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steph Laberis For This Useful Post:

Page 37 of 44 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2