Sketchbook: Steph's Brain Farts (NSFW): 11/17 - Creatures and CTN - Page 8
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Steph's Brain Farts (NSFW): 11/17 - Creatures and CTN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think those buzzard sketches you did are excellent. I enjoy art involving birds in general. It seems you have a wide variety of other animals in here too. Nice job.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, I am loving these Pugfish! Your designs are always so, for lack of a better word, marketable. It's like fully formed lines of toys and dolls just spring from your mind.

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm loving the pugfish. The whole dogfish concept is so cool. I can't wait for the sharkpug.

And I also really love the colors and graphical design of the Spicy Mermaid. Are you familiar with Nina Paley's "Sita Sings the Blues" flash animations based on the Indian Ramayana? Spicy Mermaid reminded me of them and I bet you'd appreciate them, too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm can't say I've heard of that Jack Frost movie before.. I see it was on mystery science theater though! lol looks like an interesting movie either way though... great mermaid! love the colors and textures you used; amazing what you can do with vectors (assuming that is vector of course). great pugfish as always; I'll say it time and time again, but I love those eyes! nice work all around, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work!

OMG I LOVE those Pug Fish!

Hope to see more!~~~Patrick

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pugs are teh LOVE!
    Inspiring really! After watching the Animal Icon Star Wars Special and then looking at this thread again...I think I may just design something like pugoween, only with like different animals and a bit more organic and muscly like a blog thing or something. O_O OR not.

Updates are lovely

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    dudette?
    Oh I am sorry. But hey if dude works then. But again good work.
    Dont have crit other than post more please dude.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    donkey: Grats on the Atelier, neighbor! And see you in a couple week... no, NEXT week at the workshop! Holy smokes!

entdroid: And mucho thanks to you for whipping out such an elegant and sophisticated calendar design! I still gotta send you that large pug file X_x

incolorinred: Thank you very much!

0kelvin: How ironic that you mention "marketable"... as you will see in this self-pimping update! MWAH! See you in a week! ^_~

RobertMac: My favorite centaur artist! I haven't heard of Nina's work, I am going to google it up and take a look. Thanks for the info!

Onir: And grats to you on your new path in school! Head to Harvard Sq for me and eat a Beard Papas in my name! As for the mermaid, the textures are scans of paper that I had made back in college, I just overlayed them in photoshop. You can actually bitmap textures like that in Flash, but Flash can be really retarded about it.

JadeDragon: Thank you very much Patrick! I'm been a lil lazy and haven't thought of more Pugs in a while X_x

Dished: Eee, thanks Dawn! Bummer I won't see you in San Fran for a while, but I'm glad you're so happy where you are now

bhanu: No offense taken! Call me waht you want so long and you know there's Y chromosome present

walnut: Haha, a katamari fan! Thanks dude!

Ok, I've been an art-tard (or just burnt out) and only have this to show for the last month:

These are sticker designs! I am getting a run printed before the workshop of the tan-colored Pug. If I like this company, I will get runs of each color and sell 'em on my website. I also used this rig to animate Sartell's Xmas teaser in the Gift Exchange Thread. I still have a ton to learn about Flash animation, but designing and rigging characters is somewhat familiar to me.

Also, I have a couple of online additions! Since I can't post original artwork from the shows I have worked on *flogs NDA* I can at least link you guys to what I have done on the respective official websites!

Think all I draw is cute stuff? THINK AGAIN.

Though I'm pretty ashamed of the show, I did create roughly 50% of the characters, including Sanchez, the Mayor, John Adams and his Topless ... I cannot take credit for the talking asscheeks though. Might be a good thing.

On the cuter side of things, I designed about 80% of the cast of Word Girl Unfortunately, most of the artwork on the site was re-drawn by an outsourced studio and isn't my own... and it makes me twitch because everyone looks so off-model! GRR!

If you see me at Insomania, flag me down - I have prints of the character work I did for these shows and will gladly show ya! I just can't put it online or let you take a print with you is all. Ah, loopholes...

Thank you as always for looking!

Last edited by Steph Laberis; December 6th, 2006 at 12:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Theres some awesome stuff, sorry i havnt got anything better to say but i promise to come back when its not 6am and give a better comment. ^_^

Oh and katamari is the greatest.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NICE steph...it's been sometime since I've checked in here--I've been a bad conceptart citizen lately..but this stuff is great steph! The assy poster, spicey mermaid, pugs!! fantasticness!

How's the west treating you? Harvard sq. just ain't the same without ya...

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ahahahahaha i remember that vid(i think?) and other concepts you showed in montreal
    sooo great! no crits,i'm just laughing

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Assy McGee.. Hahahahaha. nuts. [ speaking of which where're his?]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ewww assy!!!

the pugfish on the other hand are pretty bad ass they are gunna make some sweet little mini products my personal favourite is the yellow un from your colour selections, whatch what background you put em on. Nice work though

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    People don't believe me when I say I have one of the Artists from Assy Mcgee on my AIM list... =(

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there, Nico chyming in. Checked out your sketches to see a more well rounded look at your style. Now I see what you were saying about how the Calendar piece wasn't in your traditional style. I'm developing a comicbookish style now. I'll checkback here soon. Congrats on the your work on Assy Mcgee. I'd love to crit your recent stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [void]: Thanks much!

blankslate: I'm so sorry I missed you when I was back east! The west coast is way rad and I invite you to crash on our futon any time you want. Sketchgroups aren't the same without you either!

Carnifex: Mwahaha! You can watch full episodes of Assy on youtube, if you're up for it. It's so very special...

Hito: Oh, he's got 'em. Trust me. Maybe you'll see them in the special edition DVD

RooK: Thanks. I have buttons and T-shirts on order, we'll see if I can make a little pocket change while spreading the Pug love.

Justin: I'm shocked you would brag of such things Thanks hon!

Nico: Thanks hon! Feel free to give a good honest crit on my SB anytime ^_~

Here's my meager offering for this update!

I've been messing with ways to mock cut paper digitally, here is my first attempt with a familiar face:

I've got a couple more digital papercuts in the works, it's turning out to be a really fun process for me

So I got the flu while I was back in Boston for the holiday and wound up spending 3 precious days on my father's couch. I figured I would make the most of the hours when the Dayquil was actually working and draw what I saw. I think the colors were mangled on the web, but I can see myself picking away at this one over time. Was nice to muse for a while.

I know the composition hurts your eyes, so I'll take any feedback you might have to share I think the room sums up the nature of my Dad - mellow, a little out-dated and sometimes stale but always warm, comfortable and safe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that pugfish turned out great! And that first attempt with the cutout style turned out pretty good, especially the hat area..Good texture on the material, reminds me of when i used to do that stuff as a kid.

TUNAFISH SAMMICHES?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooh new stuff!
    Firstly, I love your pugfish drawings. Not just in an awesome way, but they are actually really good drawings. And the water colour-like colours look great.
    The vector ones are cool too, but I definitely prefer the drawings. I want more!

Next, the paper cut out image looks great. At first I thought it was actual paper cut outs, and then I though you had some crazy scissor precession skills! The texture you've created works well. Nothing to crit for this one, do some more!

Finally the vector room. Looks really nice. I like the subtle patterns on the wall. The colours seem a little too desaturated. You say the colour were mangled, so I'm not sure what the original looks like. I'd like to see some more darks in there. Right now the tv's boarder stands out from everything else because it's the darkest part of the whole piece.
    Composition doesn't bother me, I think it works well.

It's always nice to see updates from you. You said you were drawing today, I hope to see them soon : ]

sketchbook
    blog
    website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey steph =]
    i spent some time looking through your SB earlier, and i love how quirky and unique it is, your designs are so cute and interesting, i love your pugfish designs, and the one youve been developing and reposted today, and i agree with Cai about the composition for the last one, it doesnt really bother me, i think it works well, but the colours could be a little brighter in places i think
    Oh and i'll be buying a calender at the end of the week when im payed, really liked your entry, one of the most quirky entries i think =]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Steph,
    Great SB ya got going on here. I really like the style of work you do. It's a fun and fresh look to everything else that is out there. I think the cut paper character is great. The only things that I could even suggest are maybe try a couple variations of the same character and see what you can do with it. Like maybe add littel swirlys for knees or something. It's really minor stuff. I think Elwell mentioned trying to get a cellophane look to the goggle lenses. Which sounded like a good idea to me. As for the interior scene. I love it. I think it's really great. It reminds me a bit of my parents place. Kinda stuck in the late 70's -80's era. There were a couple things I noticed about the piece off hand. And I indicate them on the attachment. Overall I think you have a great flare for whimsical and lighthearted images. And I hope to see more! I know this isn't the most in depth crit you could get from me, but I really don't see anything glaring about your work. So I hope this helps some and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Stay warm,
    (Oh wait, you're in Sunny Californialand.)
    I'll stay warm you stay cool.
    Best,
    Glen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Steph, nice updates! I meant to post earlier after seeing the Assy McGee picture but kinda forgot ^^; anyway, I did NOT realize you were an artist for that show! very nice! haha strange thing was that not long before you posted that my friend was telling me about that show and how much he liked it. I personally haven't seen it yet but yea, nice work

I really like the 2 recent vector pieces, both work really well. the digital paper one definitely gets the job done well. the style of the character is really nice as well. this last one is really nice as well; you showed depth really nicely and I think it's got a nice feel to it. the almost symmetrical setup works really well in my opinion, though part of me would prefer it without the white border.

hmm not much else I can think to say really, just keep up the great work!

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    am I the only one overwhelmed by the uniqueness of the cute style here?
    cool stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Honestly........

I like the cut out Character I'd love to see the stepbystep for sum um like that. A simple abstraction but like the style. Besides being creative its cute. But I'd have to say the two tone color scheme worked well. If you had to push any further I'd add a shadow to the base skin tones to show form and lighting but cut outs rarely have lighting so..... Well I think I'll have to try that my self to see just how it looks.

Daddy's Den. Well cartoons and abstract rarely need to be perfect perspective you know we know this. (I also noticed you use the same color palette from the Character Cutout your fav. pallette or you just got lazy....well you were sick).

You know what would be really funny is if you had a picture of the room and it was exactly the same perspective as it's toon form.

P.S. I will try out that cut out method it does look like fun

TheRoad

Transition from Art Critic to Artiste - Diligence, that's all I need.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you guys very much for the comments and crits - I promise a better response to each of you as soon as I have a chance.

Tiny update. Been a bad month for me.

This will be explained some day. Unlike 99% of the artwork in this book, I needed this doodle to be emotive and honest.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Steph Laberis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Steph Laberis, don't believe I've seen your SB before. You have a very appealing cartoon style and some true gems of imagination among your work.

SB rated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awww...

I'm always amazed and the range and depth of emotion you can get out of such simple shapes and colours. I hope February is better to you!

0kelvin

PS. I finally got my Wii! My number is 7643 7864 9560 6817

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh i think i remember reading about that sketch , its cute =]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MOAR COLORS!

hey steph lay bear ihs, lay bear...like care bears? institution of human services. IIIINTERESTING.

keep pumping out personal work to get your frustrations out. You'll be better for it. -ing your color studies and puggiepoopie...kek...poo-pie

glad to see you've incorporated that sexy new jacket into your repetoire

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I'll try to guess as to the meaning of the last sketch. Post # 235

" I went looking for catfish " ...."i waited" "but they never came"

It seems too me once upon a time you went (possibly with DAD) to see (or catch) catfish near a body of water (possibly in Boston). However on this ocassion the catfish were not as abundant (or maybe altogether gone).

The character's pose relays a quiet contemplation of reality. The character seems to be lonely there waiting by the water's edge. The wrapped arms displays a cold (yet almost sick) emotional response to the situation and or environment. It seems to me that the catfish represented something (of fanstasy, magic, life in general, or nostalgic memories) important to the character.

The characters gender cant be determined but we all assume that its you.

TheRoad

Transition from Art Critic to Artiste - Diligence, that's all I need.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.