Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast
    Thanks
    humanNature6115 Thanks so much, and cheers to a fellow vector artist

markey2d
    Thanks, and yup, that's Illustrator for ya!

michelle jhonsen Thank you very much for that! ^_^

Ilaekae Dude, real chicks have curves. 'Nuff said.

Delight Haha, thanks! I found most of my favorite female cartoon characters were the curvier ones, like Nani from Lilo and Stitch or Midna from Twilight Princess. There's a lot to be said for a good set of hips!

Sirio_Brozzi Glad you like! She just sold at the gallery so I'm double stoked!

BohemianChaos
    Thank you! I'm trying to add more depth and interest in my vector stuffs!

crazy3dman Thank you dude, I truly appreciate the kind words and feedback

S.M Thank you for the crits and the bump! Much appreciated on both counts

So here's a WIP for another book spread. I posted this in the crit section but I figured it had a place here too! I am making a play on Norman Rockwell's "Going and Coming" piece with a rendition of my own family vacations back in the 80's. That would be Anchiwa Won Topeteka on the roof there, my brother and I's imaginary friend

Once again, I am bound to this canvas size as it is for a full-bleed spread, but I can make changes within this size ratio. I am looking to improve on my comp and storytelling skills in this one and will be texturing/drybrushing in Photoshop once the flat color phase is done... which should be tomorrow, god help me

Thanks for looking!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    2nd Layer of Hell, where the lustful blow to and fro
    Thanks
    hahah I love the last piece. Very funny, I love the little girl picking her nose.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chiko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    hehe,awesome...poor dad
    colours're bit too light for my taste,except if you're going for that "it's kinda sunny,but it still rains,weird"-look...

edit: oh,and forgive me for saying this,but,hehe,it looks kinda odd that your sb title says "family trip (warning:boobs!)"

Last edited by Carnifex; June 24th, 2008 at 01:03 PM.
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Carnifex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm sure I've said it before but the lively line quality in your sketches and the gesture you maintain throughout your work always floors me. I love this last one, great idea making a play on Rockwell's piece. Between this one and the last big one you posted (the one with you and the squid? I didn't get to comment on that, but I loved it!), it looks like you're really making vector more and more your own hehe.

Crit-wise I'd agree with Carnifex on the colors; the desaturated look works well, but it's kinda hard to read exactly what's going on (though I'd imagine that as you photoshop texture in it'll clear up a bit more?). Otherwise there's not a whole lot I can see to crit... the imaginary friend hanging from the back reads to me as though he showed up at an odd time for him but much to the delight of you and your brother. Not sure if this is accurate, but regardless a nice mixture of emotions is showing through.

Great work, Steph! I haven't stopped in recently but I do want to wish you the best of luck with Pixar; if you keep it up like you've been doing recently I'm sure you'll definitely grab their attention Best of luck!

Oh and real quickly, I was just wondering if you've looked at any UPA work like Gerald McBoing Boing or Rooty Toot Toot? I remember you saying someplace that you liked Craig McCracken (I think), so I figured I'd ask ya if you drew any inspiration from UPA itself (if you have mentioned this, then woops probably should have looked a bit harder hehe).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Onir For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    your work has verry funny . some one made my laugh . I'm gonna come most often see your works

10. The Following User Says Thank You to picksel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Hey Steph... paint me mmoorree!!! your on fire!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kelly x For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,891 Times in 428 Posts
    Steph! I got your goodies in the mail sometime last week. I sent you a message through etsy when they came which probably wasnt the best way to do it hahah. But I LOVE them! I put up the prints next to my worktable. Thanks for the cute little buttons, I'm pumped you loved the yeti!

Maybe we'll meet someday. I'm (probably) going to the workshop in New Zealand, so maybe we'll see eachother there!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to loveandasandwich For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    so this is where the magic happens huh?

Thanks
    Steph i love that Rockwell piece, it's great to see your take on it.
    Not that it hasn't been mentioned before but all your colors seem to be in the same value even though people are on different plane in the picture (i.e. gorilla and kids foreground, dad and car mid ground, and mom background) you should try to play with the value of these colors and maybe even change the colors in some places Value effects depth more then color...infact value truly expresses depth color just gives it a punch and can affect the composition. Can't wait to see it textured, maybe it will bring out the depth in the picture more and help with the values cant wait to see something truly amazing, like we know to expect .

[

Thanks
    Taj Thanks for the crit dude! For some reason I have been reluctant to really expand my value range in my work, so hopefully I can grow a pair of value balls for the next piece and pay better attention to that

Coinpurse Haha, it may well be.

28chelseaslater So glad all has arrived safely! Yeti has gotten soooooo many compliments since he got here, he's a valued member of the family. Unfortunately I am just not able to afford New Zealand this year, but if you find your self at WonderCon, APE or Comic Con, we could likely cross paths. I would love to meet you too!

kelly x Thanks Kelly Has the other piece sold, I hope I hope?

picksel Glad it put a smile on your face, thank you!

Onir Thanks so much for the crit dude After seeing Wall-E, I am even more encouraged to keep trying for Pixar, so I truly appreciate the well-wishes. With the UPA stuff, I haven't watches a lot in my recent years, although I am aware that's where McCracken draws a lot of influence from. I do have a book called "Cartoon Modern" which is a collection of a lot of UPA and UPA-era work. It's a regular on my bookshelf!

Carnifex Thanks dude! Every dysfunctional family needs to be illustrated at least once in a lifetime. And I didn't see the "boobs" title issue till you pointed it out, now I don't want to change it

Chiko Thanks so much!

Ok, another dumpy. Here's the cover art for my art book WHICH YOU SHOULD TOTALLY BUY AT SOME POINT IN YOUR LIFE! I also stuck a PugFish in there in shallow hopes of boosting sales... and of course, to further exploit nature's little atrocity, the Pug.

Hope you guys like!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steph Laberis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    not yet but some interest this week-end - cross fingers and toes!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to kelly x For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    kelly x Thanks hon, will most definitely be hoping!

Weighing in with June's overdue Steph of the Month. Someone on the forums once joked that he was worried about me, what with drawing all that cute stuff, where did all the rage and bad stuff go?

Like every other human, it aaaaaaalllllll goes inside. Here's an example - how I spent my month of June. Such a damn waste to worry so much ._. Geh. Time for a rest.

Book starts shipping in a little over a week though, much love to everyone who has pre-ordered

Last edited by Steph Laberis; July 3rd, 2008 at 10:12 PM.

Thanks
    Combining your strong illustrator stuff with various textures does an awesome job of showcasing it. Really enjoying the style.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sinix For This Useful Post:

Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2