Page 18 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Steph's Brain Farts (NSFW): 11/17 - Creatures and CTN

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    ahahahahaha i remember that vid(i think?) and other concepts you showed in montreal
    sooo great! no crits,i'm just laughing
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Assy McGee.. Hahahahaha. nuts. [ speaking of which where're his?]

Thanks
    ewww assy!!!

the pugfish on the other hand are pretty bad ass they are gunna make some sweet little mini products my personal favourite is the yellow un from your colour selections, whatch what background you put em on. Nice work though
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    People don't believe me when I say I have one of the Artists from Assy Mcgee on my AIM list... =(

Thanks
    Hi there, Nico chyming in. Checked out your sketches to see a more well rounded look at your style. Now I see what you were saying about how the Calendar piece wasn't in your traditional style. I'm developing a comicbookish style now. I'll checkback here soon. Congrats on the your work on Assy Mcgee. I'd love to crit your recent stuff

Thanks
    [void]: Thanks much!

blankslate: I'm so sorry I missed you when I was back east! The west coast is way rad and I invite you to crash on our futon any time you want. Sketchgroups aren't the same without you either!

Carnifex: Mwahaha! You can watch full episodes of Assy on youtube, if you're up for it. It's so very special...

Hito: Oh, he's got 'em. Trust me. Maybe you'll see them in the special edition DVD

RooK: Thanks. I have buttons and T-shirts on order, we'll see if I can make a little pocket change while spreading the Pug love.

Justin: I'm shocked you would brag of such things Thanks hon!

Nico: Thanks hon! Feel free to give a good honest crit on my SB anytime ^_~

Here's my meager offering for this update!

I've been messing with ways to mock cut paper digitally, here is my first attempt with a familiar face:
    Steph's Brain Farts (NSFW): 11/17 - Creatures and CTN

I've got a couple more digital papercuts in the works, it's turning out to be a really fun process for me

So I got the flu while I was back in Boston for the holiday and wound up spending 3 precious days on my father's couch. I figured I would make the most of the hours when the Dayquil was actually working and draw what I saw. I think the colors were mangled on the web, but I can see myself picking away at this one over time. Was nice to muse for a while.

I know the composition hurts your eyes, so I'll take any feedback you might have to share I think the room sums up the nature of my Dad - mellow, a little out-dated and sometimes stale but always warm, comfortable and safe.

Thanks
    that pugfish turned out great! And that first attempt with the cutout style turned out pretty good, especially the hat area..Good texture on the material, reminds me of when i used to do that stuff as a kid.
    TUNAFISH SAMMICHES?!

Thanks
    Ooh new stuff!
    Firstly, I love your pugfish drawings. Not just in an awesome way, but they are actually really good drawings. And the water colour-like colours look great.
    The vector ones are cool too, but I definitely prefer the drawings. I want more!

Next, the paper cut out image looks great. At first I thought it was actual paper cut outs, and then I though you had some crazy scissor precession skills! The texture you've created works well. Nothing to crit for this one, do some more!

Finally the vector room. Looks really nice. I like the subtle patterns on the wall. The colours seem a little too desaturated. You say the colour were mangled, so I'm not sure what the original looks like. I'd like to see some more darks in there. Right now the tv's boarder stands out from everything else because it's the darkest part of the whole piece.
    Composition doesn't bother me, I think it works well.

It's always nice to see updates from you. You said you were drawing today, I hope to see them soon : ]
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    hey steph =]
    i spent some time looking through your SB earlier, and i love how quirky and unique it is, your designs are so cute and interesting, i love your pugfish designs, and the one youve been developing and reposted today, and i agree with Cai about the composition for the last one, it doesnt really bother me, i think it works well, but the colours could be a little brighter in places i think
    Oh and i'll be buying a calender at the end of the week when im payed, really liked your entry, one of the most quirky entries i think =]

Thanks
    Hi Steph,
    Great SB ya got going on here. I really like the style of work you do. It's a fun and fresh look to everything else that is out there. I think the cut paper character is great. The only things that I could even suggest are maybe try a couple variations of the same character and see what you can do with it. Like maybe add littel swirlys for knees or something. It's really minor stuff. I think Elwell mentioned trying to get a cellophane look to the goggle lenses. Which sounded like a good idea to me. As for the interior scene. I love it. I think it's really great. It reminds me a bit of my parents place. Kinda stuck in the late 70's -80's era. There were a couple things I noticed about the piece off hand. And I indicate them on the attachment. Overall I think you have a great flare for whimsical and lighthearted images. And I hope to see more! I know this isn't the most in depth crit you could get from me, but I really don't see anything glaring about your work. So I hope this helps some and I'm looking forward to seeing more.
    Stay warm,
    (Oh wait, you're in Sunny Californialand.)
    I'll stay warm you stay cool.
    Best,
    Glen

Thanks
    hey Steph, nice updates! I meant to post earlier after seeing the Assy McGee picture but kinda forgot ^^; anyway, I did NOT realize you were an artist for that show! very nice! haha strange thing was that not long before you posted that my friend was telling me about that show and how much he liked it. I personally haven't seen it yet but yea, nice work

I really like the 2 recent vector pieces, both work really well. the digital paper one definitely gets the job done well. the style of the character is really nice as well. this last one is really nice as well; you showed depth really nicely and I think it's got a nice feel to it. the almost symmetrical setup works really well in my opinion, though part of me would prefer it without the white border.

hmm not much else I can think to say really, just keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 766 Posts
    am I the only one overwhelmed by the uniqueness of the cute style here?
    cool stuff.

Thanks
    Honestly........

I like the cut out Character I'd love to see the stepbystep for sum um like that. A simple abstraction but like the style. Besides being creative its cute. But I'd have to say the two tone color scheme worked well. If you had to push any further I'd add a shadow to the base skin tones to show form and lighting but cut outs rarely have lighting so..... Well I think I'll have to try that my self to see just how it looks.

Daddy's Den. Well cartoons and abstract rarely need to be perfect perspective you know we know this. (I also noticed you use the same color palette from the Character Cutout your fav. pallette or you just got lazy....well you were sick).

You know what would be really funny is if you had a picture of the room and it was exactly the same perspective as it's toon form.

P.S. I will try out that cut out method it does look like fun
    TheRoad

Transition from Art Critic to Artiste - Diligence, that's all I need.

Page 18 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast